Seriously No Politics ×

Did We Lose Something When We Abandoned The Physical Gathering

You mean when if you don't have at least 12 children you are damned to Hell?

Well maybe because you haven't had as thorough a taste of heaven and hell on Earth in that case. Merry Christmas.

Well maybe because you haven't had as thorough a taste of heaven and hell on Earth in that case. Merry Christmas.

To Me having the three that I do have was enough of both. Teenagers Ugggh. But Grandkids; I get to spoil them rotten and send them home to their parents. ;) Have a very Merry Christmas and a happy prosperous new year to you and yours.

Keep in mind part of the gathering is gathering our dead and temple work for family members through genealogy has increased tremendously. I see more family names in the temple at times than temple names.

The gathering is going on but not the same way as was required in Brigham Young's time. Even in Joseph's day look how many areas the church was established in. We first must gather to the gospel and then into stakes and then eventually I think when Christ returns to one place. But then that one place might be the whole earth as wasn't there a prophecy that the continents will once again be together just as they separated previously.

I still believe in the literal gathering. It is just on hold for the moment to provide aid "in the field" to missionary work and other goals.

I agree.  As the world continues to spiral downward, it seems to me that a separation will become necessary for survival.  Sometimes I wish for it now.

I dont think we've stopped the gathering. We are just gathering in different ways. In fact, I see the internet discussions we have as a part of the gathering. We can be literally all throughout the world and be here together building one anothers faith in community.

The Lord has increased our capacity to still be gathered together from farther distances. And when the time comes we will establish cities again.

I feel the physical gathering is found within the boundaries of our individual wards.  We can certainly have gardens, community service projects, and assist each other professionally and personally as if we were a single integrated community.  In the Spanish branch, every week someone brings the overrun from a bakery to the building for anyone to take bread, rolls, cookies, etc.

I feel the physical gathering is found within the boundaries of our individual wards.  We can certainly have gardens, community service projects, and assist each other professionally and personally as if we were a single integrated community.  In the Spanish branch, every week someone brings the overrun from a bakery to the building for anyone to take bread, rolls, cookies, etc.

My eldest son just switched from an upper middle class standard Ward, to a Spanish speaking Ward in order to have his children experience more of real Christianity and Mormonism.

It does if we are going to have gathering places throughout the world with a Temple as a focal point.

Do we really see any sign of a gathering point with a Temple as a focal point? I mean possibly Nauvoo , but most of the new but still large Temples (not talking about the mini Temples paced by Stake centers) are in expensive suburbs of large urban areas. I don't see Saints being drawn there and forming or constructing communities. The exception might be Nauvoo, but Saints had been gathering there as part of the reconstruction for years and I think that the Temple was independently financed with specific donations. If they would put a mini temple at the JSM in Sharon, VT, I think you would see a gathering there. But putting Temples in wealthy suburbs of Cities does not trigger gatherings.

Does that make sense in light of all the temples we are now building worldwide in order to do the ordinances of salvation?  Are you suggesting that we abandon them?

We have abandoned temples before. We may do so again and those we have built may serve only for a season. In economic terms it makes no sense but then building Kirtland and Nauvoo made no sense going by cost versus ordinances performed.

The Temples are a highly visible missionary tool.

Agreed, but that does not make them the focal point of a physical gathering.

I like that. I hope my ward can do something like that.

Do we really see any sign of a gathering point with a Temple as a focal point? I mean possibly Nauvoo , but most of the new but still large Temples (not talking about the mini Temples paced by Stake centers) are in expensive suburbs of large urban areas. I don't see Saints being drawn there and forming or constructing communities. The exception might be Nauvoo, but Saints had been gathering there as part of the reconstruction for years and I think that the Temple was independently financed with specific donations. If they would put a mini temple at the JSM in Sharon, VT, I think you would see a gathering there. But putting Temples in wealthy suburbs of Cities does not trigger gatherings.

See "Coming of the Lord" by Gerald N. Lund.  The early Mormons were taught to expect
a large gathering of the saints in Utah to the New Jerusalem in Jackson County. But first
or shortly after would come the arrival of the Ten Tribes from the north country.

Regards,
Jim