bluebell Posted April 24, 2017 Posted April 24, 2017 The Towering Inferno. One of my favorite movies and it's playing on Starz.
Garden Girl Posted April 27, 2017 Posted April 27, 2017 I saw "Allied" ( an extremely well done romantic thriller) starring Brad Pitt... who plays an Intelligence Officer... the CIA tells him his wife, and mother of their child, is suspected of being a spy (a charge he doesn't believe), and he has 72 hours to prove her innocence. If it turns out to be true, he must follow the rules and eliminate her himself (a test of loyalty). Brad Pitt is a mature man now... while still very nice looking, he is no longer the handsome, youthful star of Thelma & Louise, Legends of the Fall, Troy, etc. Fortunately this movie proves he is/was not just a pretty face. GG
bluebell Posted May 7, 2017 Posted May 7, 2017 We saw it last night. Loved it. My husband laughed so hard the whole time and he generally hates comic book movies. 1
Stargazer Posted May 11, 2017 Posted May 11, 2017 On 5/6/2017 at 7:08 PM, bsjkki said: Anyone see Guardians 2 yet? Review? Like bluebell, I thought it was great fun! Oddly enough, it was both hilarious and emotional. Really worth seeing. 1
bsjkki Posted May 11, 2017 Posted May 11, 2017 43 minutes ago, Stargazer said: Like bluebell, I thought it was great fun! Oddly enough, it was both hilarious and emotional. Really worth seeing. Thanks!
bluebell Posted May 11, 2017 Posted May 11, 2017 13 hours ago, Stargazer said: Like bluebell, I thought it was great fun! Oddly enough, it was both hilarious and emotional. Really worth seeing. That's the perfect way to describe it.
Rivers Posted May 12, 2017 Posted May 12, 2017 I also saw Guardians 2. I thought it was better than the first one. The god depicted in that movie was very different than the Mormon god.
bluebell Posted May 17, 2017 Posted May 17, 2017 I watched a silly Lifetime Network movie last night on On Demand and it was one of the most frustrating movies i've ever seen! It was called "Kept Woman" and its about a woman who is abducted by her neighbor and forced to live in a bunker in his basement made to resemble the 1950s. I'm not a Lifetime Movie fan but the premise of this one reeled me in. And i watched to the end because i had to know how it would all work out. But man, so many plot holes! And the way she reacted and how she managed to be saved were so unbelievable. Drove me nuts! Kept Woman Trailer It claims it's based on true events but in reality but it's just based on the handful of kidnap stories where a man keeps a girl or woman locked up in his home or basement for an extended period of time. The actual story of the movie is fictitious.
Garden Girl Posted May 20, 2017 Posted May 20, 2017 I watched an "oldie but goodie" called "About Mrs. Leslie" starring Shirley Booth and Robert Ryan... It's the 40's and she's an entertainer in a small New York club... He is a wealthy industrialist who goes to the club with business associates... they meet when she is invited to their table after her performance. There's an easiness between them and they talk for some time, hitting it off. The next day they go to lunch and he asks her to go to California with him for six weeks' vacation as "friends and companions" only. She knows him only as Mr. Leslie, that he is married, but that he needs to have this six weeks away for his health because of the pressure of his life/career. She agrees, and they go to Calif and share a big, beautiful house on the coast/beach where she has her own suite of rooms overlooking the ocean... The household staff assumes she is "Mrs. Leslie" and call her such. They spend the weeks fishing, hiking, quiet evenings, etc, until its time to return to the east. He asks her to meet him again the next year... and this begins their annual trip to Calif. They are affectionate and care greatly for each other, but remain only companions. They never talk about his family. He takes steps to help her be more secure because he worries about her, and is grateful for her and their time together. After several years of meeting him annually, one evening in NY she goes to the movies and a newsreel shows him with his full name and family...he is to head up a govt program of manufacturing war planes... this is the first time she truly faces reality. They get through that and go to Calif again... afterwards, back in NY the news comes that the war is over... as everyone pours out into Times Square to celebrate, she looks up at the electronic news tape and is stunned as it announces the death of "Mr. Leslie" due to a heart attack. His atty contacts her because he left her means to assure she would be secure, with a proviso that she buy herself a home, so she buys a large home in Bev Hills as "Mrs Leslie" so she can rent out rooms for income... and that's how the movie begins... GG 1
bluebell Posted May 20, 2017 Posted May 20, 2017 That kind of reminds (a little bit) about the movie Same Time, Next Year
Garden Girl Posted May 20, 2017 Posted May 20, 2017 3 hours ago, bluebell said: That kind of reminds (a little bit) about the movie Same Time, Next Year In spite of the adultery theme, I loved STNY... it was funny, tender, sad... I loved seeing Ellen Burstyn evolve through the years. I got from Mrs. Leslie that they really didn't have a sexual relationship, but shared deep emotion and affection. The only physical aspect was that each year they would kiss goodbye. She would call him "Mr. Leslie honey" in those moments. GG 1
bsjkki Posted May 28, 2017 Posted May 28, 2017 It's not a movie but I did get to see Hamilton tonight. It is an amazing show...some language and a not graphic depiction of an affair. The affair is shown in a very negative way...with all the pain and consequences that result from it.
Garden Girl Posted May 28, 2017 Posted May 28, 2017 (edited) I watched the BYU-TV showing of "Night Crossing"... one of my favorites because it is based on a true event that I remember reading about and seeing reported on the News... takes place in 1978... East Germany... when the Berlin Wall was still in place, separating East and West Germany. This was a terrible time with the nightly news featuring reports and film of the numerous ways people tried to escape from East to West, and seeing the horrifying pictures of East German soldiers machine gunning its own citizens as they tried to breach the wall... a wall built not to keep people out, but their own people in. People today who didn't live through this time cannot imagine the lengths that East Germans went to in order to try to escape to freedom in the West. They would strap themselves to the bottom of cars, or hide in various ways in boxes or crates being transported, etc etc. Or they would simply try and go over/under the wall. Almost without exception they were discovered and shot on the spot or hauled off to prison... it was horrible, and heartwrenching. Young people today have no concept of what those days were like... One particular image that has stayed with me was of this woman running toward the barbed wire and trying to slip through it, but her hair caught on the wire and stopped her... the soldiers caught up and machine gunned her right there... the TV cameras recording the horror as the bullets riveted her body trapped in the fence. The image is still with me... "Night Crossing" is the story of two E. Ger. families that yearned to escape to the West where they had relatives, and could be free. They determined to construct a hot air balloon and try to use it to escape. One night, leaving everything in their lives behind, they climbed into the basket and lifted off... Their first attempt failed and they landed just a couple hundred feet short, still inside E. Ger. territory, but they were able to make it on foot safely back to where they had left their car, and to their homes. The authorities found their abandoned balloon but could not trace them. Some months later they decided to try again and constructed another balloon... this time they were successful, leaving one night and soaring to 5,000 feet. When they finally ran out of gas and came down they were into Western territory... free!! They had nothing but the clothes on their back and a few things they could carry... but they were free... both families went on to be successful in careers, etc. GG Edited May 29, 2017 by Garden Girl
Garden Girl Posted May 30, 2017 Posted May 30, 2017 (edited) I just watched a wonderful movie... "Lion" starring Dev Patel with Nicole Kidman... based on the true story of a five year-old boy in India who gets lost accidentally... follows him through the years, and his search as an adult to find his mother and brother... This film was nominated for six Academy Awards, including Best Picture... I can see why. I'm going to watch a second film... "Inferno" starring Tom Hanks... Described as a "thrilling action movie with lots of surprising twists and turns." We shall see. Apparently he is an amnesiac who meets a doctor he hopes will be able to help him recover his memories, as he and the doc race across Europe trying to stop a virus before it wipes out a large segment of the world population. I forgot to tell you that last week I watched "Bridge of Spies," also starring Hanks... based on the events surrounding the efforts of a U.S. attorney who worked to gain the release of Francis Gary Powers, whose spy plane was shot down over Russia... really well done... suspenseful... GG Edited May 30, 2017 by Garden Girl
Tacenda Posted June 1, 2017 Posted June 1, 2017 On 5/17/2017 at 0:55 PM, bluebell said: I watched a silly Lifetime Network movie last night on On Demand and it was one of the most frustrating movies i've ever seen! It was called "Kept Woman" and its about a woman who is abducted by her neighbor and forced to live in a bunker in his basement made to resemble the 1950s. I'm not a Lifetime Movie fan but the premise of this one reeled me in. And i watched to the end because i had to know how it would all work out. But man, so many plot holes! And the way she reacted and how she managed to be saved were so unbelievable. Drove me nuts! Kept Woman Trailer It claims it's based on true events but in reality but it's just based on the handful of kidnap stories where a man keeps a girl or woman locked up in his home or basement for an extended period of time. The actual story of the movie is fictitious. When you were describing the movie, at first I thought you were talking about the movie "10 Cloverfield Lane" because I'd forgotten the name of it until I just looked it up. That movie frustrated me because I hated the ending.
bluebell Posted June 1, 2017 Posted June 1, 2017 2 hours ago, Tacenda said: When you were describing the movie, at first I thought you were talking about the movie "10 Cloverfield Lane" because I'd forgotten the name of it until I just looked it up. That movie frustrated me because I hated the ending. I bet they make a sequel. Or a trilogy because I guess 10 Cloverfield lane was supposedly a sequel to Cloverfield. That movie made me want to puke. No more "found footage" movies for me!
Duncan Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 My son and I saw the latest Pirates movie, he enjoyed it fine. I thought it was the same old same old, it seems the Pirates of the Caribbean franchise seems to base itself on curses and each new movie it's some other curse that needs to be broken. If they want to do a Pirate movie do one on a real life pirate like Blackbeard or Bubbles McSwaggers 1
Tacenda Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 Went to "A Dog's Purpose", it was such a good film as far as sentimental and with a good moral to the story. Kept my interest, funny, or sad at times too. I highly recommend for adults and children to see this! I'm glad some friends inviting my husband and I to go, or I may have skipped going to it. It's at our local Kaysville theatre, for three bucks so can't complain there!
bluebell Posted June 5, 2017 Posted June 5, 2017 9 hours ago, Tacenda said: Went to "A Dog's Purpose", it was such a good film as far as sentimental and with a good moral to the story. Kept my interest, funny, or sad at times too. I highly recommend for adults and children to see this! I'm glad some friends inviting my husband and I to go, or I may have skipped going to it. It's at our local Kaysville theatre, for three bucks so can't complain there! The part where he found the "hiding" cat was the best. 😆 1
Wants2know Posted June 5, 2017 Posted June 5, 2017 Beauty and the beast. 8 year old girls loved it. My 17 year old son liked it to "for a chick flick". 🙄 Perfectly appropriate. I expected the Prince to be better looking.... 2
hagoth7 Posted June 5, 2017 Posted June 5, 2017 (edited) Hunchback This one: Not this one (at least not today): Edited June 6, 2017 by hagoth7
Garden Girl Posted June 12, 2017 Posted June 12, 2017 I rented "The Shack"... IIRC someone reported very favorably on this movie some time ago and so I rented it... I was not disappointed... it has a wonderful message. Very well done. GG
Sine Saw Square Posted June 20, 2017 Posted June 20, 2017 Recently watched "The Sword of Doom" (1966). The tale of a cruel samurai whos actions have... consequences. Top 5 samurai films I've seen.
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now