Tacenda Posted August 15, 2017 Posted August 15, 2017 I went to the movie, "The Glass Castle", excellent movie. When a movie moves me to tears, it's a good one. True story too!
Garden Girl Posted August 19, 2017 Posted August 19, 2017 Hello all... I rented two movies yesterday... both based on true events... 1) Hidden Figures... the story of three black women in the early 60's, working for NASA and the space program as mathematicians... one in particular who was a true math genius and central to the safety and success of the program... and their fight for recognition of their work along with that of their white male counterparts. I doubt many people are aware of these women or their impact on the program. Excellent movie... 2) The Case for Christ... True story of one man's journey from athiest to believer... An investigative journalist whose agnostic wife became a Christian... and how he set out to disprove the myth of Jesus and Christianity, only to finally become a believer himself after a year and one-half of exhaustive research, interviewing various people. etc. He took his research and turned it into a book to share his experiences... it became an worldwide best seller, selling millions of copies... this is also an excellent film... GG
bluebell Posted August 20, 2017 Posted August 20, 2017 We saw Logan Lucky last night and it was really good. It's got Tatum Channing in it (or is it Channing Tatum? I can't ever remember) Daniel Craig (of James Bond fame), Katie Holmes, and that actor that plays Kylo Ren in the new star wars. It's directed by the guy who directed the Ocean Eleven movies and it's got a similar premise, only with red necks trying to steal from nascar. It's a good story, it's got some heart, and it's pretty funny. Two thumbs up.
hagoth7 Posted August 22, 2017 Posted August 22, 2017 (edited) Spanglish. (During lengthy incarceration at a local hospital during the most recent psych eval.) We were all rooting to watch "What About Bob", but oddly enough, the hospital didn't offer that option, despite our requests. Oh well. So much for democracy during an eclipse. Spanglish was almost as much fun. Edited August 22, 2017 by hagoth7
Navidad Posted August 29, 2017 Posted August 29, 2017 The last movie we watched was actually four days of watching all the Lord of the Rings movies - again! Once a year or so, we go on a binge and watch all the Lord of the Rings movies and then a bit later all of the Harry Potter movies - three a day or so. This is the joy of retired life! Growing up Mennonite, I wasn't allowed to go to the movies or to dance. We had our own Word of Wisdom that was more about what you did than what you ate or drank.
Tacenda Posted August 30, 2017 Posted August 30, 2017 13 hours ago, Navidad said: The last movie we watched was actually four days of watching all the Lord of the Rings movies - again! Once a year or so, we go on a binge and watch all the Lord of the Rings movies and then a bit later all of the Harry Potter movies - three a day or so. This is the joy of retired life! Growing up Mennonite, I wasn't allowed to go to the movies or to dance. We had our own Word of Wisdom that was more about what you did than what you ate or drank. I hope you post more about your growing up years as a Mennonite on the Social forum by starting a thread. My friends loved the Mennonites near where they stay at Island Park Idaho. Are you LDS now, or still Mennonite. Are LDS similar in some ways? I wish I could get into movies such as Lord of Rings and Harry Potter, I'm sure I'd gain a few friends from being a fan and being able to talk about these movies.
hagoth7 Posted August 31, 2017 Posted August 31, 2017 On 8/29/2017 at 8:55 AM, Navidad said: The last movie we watched was actually four days of watching all the Lord of the Rings movies - again! Once a year or so, we go on a binge and watch all the Lord of the Rings movies and then a bit later all of the Harry Potter movies - three a day or so. This is the joy of retired life! Growing up Mennonite, I wasn't allowed to go to the movies or to dance. We had our own Word of Wisdom that was more about what you did than what you ate or drank. Now you've piqued my curiosity. Besides movies and dances, what kinds of activities were verboten?
bluebell Posted August 31, 2017 Posted August 31, 2017 9 hours ago, hagoth7 said: Free State of Jones and The Lincoln Lawyer What did you think of Free State of Jones? We saw it a few months ago and it wasn't my favorite. I thought the story it told was incredibly interesting, but that the movie was kind of disjointed, wandered too much, and too long.
hagoth7 Posted August 31, 2017 Posted August 31, 2017 (edited) 13 minutes ago, bluebell said: What did you think of Free State of Jones? We saw it a few months ago and it wasn't my favorite. I thought the story it told was incredibly interesting, but that the movie was kind of disjointed, wandered too much, and too long. Ditto. The other film would be too gritty for some. But i enjoyed the main character very much. Edited August 31, 2017 by hagoth7
tannerbarker Posted September 1, 2017 Posted September 1, 2017 The most recent movie I watched was John Wick. The parental guide from IMDB is here: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2911666/parentalguide?ref_=tt_ql_stry_5 It is similar to the movie Taken, but the main character is motivated by revenge for his murdered dog instead of rescuing his only daughter. It is a lot more brutal, and the theme is more "rock and roll". Instead of Liam Niessen doing everything he must do, and that he is forced to do, Keanu Reaves is just in your face, no regrets, seeking vengeance. It's pretty fun.
hagoth7 Posted September 11, 2017 Posted September 11, 2017 Delivering Milo Bridget Fonda - with a surprising message about a young child's consciousness prior to birth. Interesting take on things.
Amulek Posted September 15, 2017 Posted September 15, 2017 The other night I went to the theater and watched Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan. Far and away the best Star Trek movie of all time. 2
Garden Girl Posted September 16, 2017 Posted September 16, 2017 I saw two really good movies this week... 1) "Norman"... starring Richard Gere in a different role for him, perhaps one of his best performances. Plays a 50-something fast-talking "outsider" who wants to be on the inside near the "power." He positions himself by name-dropping, trying to ingratiate himself to certain individuals, working on supposed "deals." It's a hard role to describe and I don't quite get what he was trying to gain. I fell asleep for a short time so may have missed an important context... but it was very interesting... 2) "Silence" about two Christian (Catholic) missionaries who are sent to Japan in the mid-1600s during the time Christianity was outlawed there to find another missionary (Liam Neesom) who had renounced the Church amid all the terrible persecution of Christians. The movie is rated R for the violence... i.e., the burning/torture of Christians to have them denounce Christ and the Church, etc. It is a real test of the faith of the missionaries as they watch the suffering of the Christian people who refuse to turn them over to the authorities and suffer the consequences, even dying... it's a stunning film, running 2 1/2 hours but is gripping all the way. GG 1
thesometimesaint Posted September 16, 2017 Posted September 16, 2017 Watched "Collateral Beauty" with Will Smith last night. My wife and I cried all the way through the pain, heartbreak, and yes the love. SEE http://collateralbeauty-movie.com/
Vanguard Posted September 26, 2017 Posted September 26, 2017 Went and saw "IT" with my son. I had read the book and found the original 90s version to be unsatisfying though the "Pennywise" character from that version was quite the character. This more recent version was scarier though it could have done without the coarse language coming from the pre-teenage boys.
bluebell Posted September 26, 2017 Posted September 26, 2017 13 hours ago, Vanguard said: Went and saw "IT" with my son. I had read the book and found the original 90s version to be unsatisfying though the "Pennywise" character from that version was quite the character. This more recent version was scarier though it could have done without the coarse language coming from the pre-teenage boys. I read that book a few years ago. It was both one of the best books i've ever read, and hands down the most disturbing. I have shied away from the remake because i was afraid that it would be too true to the books, (which included graphic violence against children and toddlers and sex between kids, for those who have never read it). I'll probably wait and see it when it comes out on t.v. and is edited.
Vanguard Posted September 26, 2017 Posted September 26, 2017 5 hours ago, bluebell said: I read that book a few years ago. It was both one of the best books i've ever read, and hands down the most disturbing. I have shied away from the remake because i was afraid that it would be too true to the books, (which included graphic violence against children and toddlers and sex between kids, for those who have never read it). I'll probably wait and see it when it comes out on t.v. and is edited. Fortunately, they made no reference to the "tween" sexual relations within the grp. The movie could have actually been scarier (though it was plenty scarey). Other than the younger brother "Georgie's" initial death, the movie didn't get any more graphic. And then of course, any Stephen King movie recreation is always a tall order ending most of the time in failure unless we're speaking of Christine & The Shinning. ; ) 1
bluebell Posted September 26, 2017 Posted September 26, 2017 1 hour ago, Vanguard said: Fortunately, they made no reference to the "tween" sexual relations within the grp. The movie could have actually been scarier (though it was plenty scarey). Other than the younger brother "Georgie's" initial death, the movie didn't get any more graphic. And then of course, any Stephen King movie recreation is always a tall order ending most of the time in failure unless we're speaking of Christine & The Shinning. ; ) Let's just hope that they are able to get the ending to the new movie right. That whole space spider thing in the t.v. version is just painful!
Calm Posted September 27, 2017 Posted September 27, 2017 Having just read the book plot on wiki,, I really, really, really don't understand why anyone would want to read the book, let alone see a movie about it. I don't get horror.
Vanguard Posted September 27, 2017 Posted September 27, 2017 3 hours ago, bluebell said: Let's just hope that they are able to get the ending to the new movie right. That whole space spider thing in the t.v. version is just painful! Without spoiling anything, they leave the end of the movie as a bit of a "stay tuned" for the apparent sequel. Oh boy, they're going to soak it for all it's worth! Billions! I tell you - billions! ; ) 1
Vanguard Posted September 27, 2017 Posted September 27, 2017 12 minutes ago, Calm said: Having just read the book plot on wiki,, I really, really, really don't understand why anyone would want to read the book, let alone see a movie about it. I don't get horror. There's something exciting about being scared together while in a safe space. It might also serve as an innoculation against the horrors of our own realities. ; ) You know, if I can handle watching these characters go through this then I can handle anything...
bluebell Posted September 27, 2017 Posted September 27, 2017 11 minutes ago, Vanguard said: There's something exciting about being scared together while in a safe space. It might also serve as an innoculation against the horrors of our own realities. ; ) You know, if I can handle watching these characters go through this then I can handle anything... That’s how I see it too.
thesometimesaint Posted October 3, 2017 Posted October 3, 2017 Beauty and the Beast with Emma Watson. She does a good job of playing Belle. SEE
Recommended Posts
Create an account or sign in to comment
You need to be a member in order to leave a comment
Create an account
Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!
Register a new accountSign in
Already have an account? Sign in here.
Sign In Now