Jeffrey R. Holland's Talk

Matthew J. Tandy

Just thought I would say that, as always, Jeffrey R. Holland's talk is powerful...

"...none of these frankly pathetic answers..."

He certainly pulls no punches.

Plus, I always love his topics!

Great topic.

Just thought I would say that, as always, Jeffrey R. Holland's talk is powerful, well thought out, insightful, etc. etc. etc. He is both a moving and a persuasive speaker, his logic excellent. Plus, I always love his topics! I do always feel the Spirit when he talks.

And I spent the time fighting with the video software. During the time between sessions, I switched to see some other things available, but when I tried to get back to the conference at the start of the final session there was no button or link to do so. I could watch any of the other sessions, and various other things, but getting onto the current conference session wasn't available. I saw a button labelled "Go Live" and thought this might be it, but all it did was take me to the World Report. I never did get back to the conference video.

Finally settled on just the audio, but Elder Holland's talk was long over.

It was totally awesome, absolutly powerful and VERY direct and unmistakable in it's plainness...for that, I can't help but think it is going to send some people in a fury because Elder Holland probably offended some people, I'm sure we'll hear about it!

And I spent the time fighting with the video software. During the time between sessions, I switched to see some other things available, but when I tried to get back to the conference at the start of the final session there was no button or link to do so. I could watch any of the other sessions, and various other things, but getting onto the current conference session wasn't available. I saw a button labelled "Go Live" and thought this might be it, but all it did was take me to the World Report. I never did get back to the conference video.

Finally settled on just the audio, but Elder Holland's talk was long over.

You can go to the Archive site in about 5 hours to hear it. Everyone should hear it!

Here is the link if you don't have it:

www.lds.org/conference/sessions/display/0,5239,49-1-1117,00.html

He sounded angry for some reason. My favorite talk so far was Monson's. Very calm, heart-warming and to the point.

Righteous anger. I envisioned him with a whip clearing out the thieves from the proverbial Anti-Mormon temple.

Just thought I would say that, as always, Jeffrey R. Holland's talk is powerful, well thought out, insightful, etc. etc. etc. He is both a moving and a persuasive speaker, his logic excellent. Plus, I always love his topics! I do always feel the Spirit when he talks.

Who are Solomon Spaulding and Ethan Smith Btw? What do they have to do with Mormonism? Where they early member who opposed the work or something?

Righteous anger. I envisioned him with a whip clearing out the thieves from the proverbial Anti-Mormon temple.

I can imagine how Christ was with the money changers in the Temple. It must have been an incredible wakeup call for His followers!

I imagine there were many people that were shocked and questioning Him and His righteousness after that, similar to some of the posts on here about Elder Holland's talk.

It was totally awesome, absolutly powerful and VERY direct and unmistakable in it's plainness...for that, I can't help but think it is going to send some people in a fury because Elder Holland probably offended some people, I'm sure we'll hear about it!

I for one was shouting for joy...

GG

He sounded angry for some reason. My favorite talk so far was Monson's. Very calm, heart-warming and to the point.

Elder Packer used to sound angry to me 15 years ago. Now he sounds humble. Is it me or him, or both, who is changing?

I did enjoy Pres Monson's talk, as well as Holland's. I enjoy experiencing various voices.

Respectfully,

Mark Hannig

Who are Solomon Spaulding and Ethan Smith Btw? What do they have to do with Mormonism?

They are the two leading alternative candidates for authorship of the Book of Mormon, and anti-Mormons have been pushing them for many years. Spalding died in 1816; Smith died in 1849.

But the truth is that they have absolutely nothing to do with Mormonism.

And yes, by the way, Elder Holland's talk was absolutely wonderful.

He sounded angry for some reason.

I agree. And it seemed fitting. What sounded closest to anger came during his reference to secular attempts to explain away Joseph & Hyrum's commitment to the Book of Mormon, even during their final hours at Carthage Jail. I think something approaching anger is an appropriate stance/response to some of the intellectually dishonest attempts to explain away Joseph & Hyrum's willingness to die with the message of the Book of Mormon on their lips.

D&C 135 says their martyrdom would be an ambassador that would touch the hearts of honest men.

So he was apparently calling out those who were not being honest.

Thoughts?

Angry?

:P

Angry?

There was no anger in Elder Holland's fervent and powerful address. But it certainly consisted of "hard truths."

I know it filled my heart (as well as those of my family) with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and reinforced testimony of the truthfulness and divine origins of the Book of Mormon.

But, to you, this Apostle's words were filled with what you characterize as "anger."

... the guilty taketh the truth to be hard, for it cutteth them to the very center.

... if ye were righteous and were willing to hearken to the truth, and give heed unto it, that ye might walk uprightly before God, then ye would not murmur because of the truth, and say: Thou speakest hard things against us.

Do not say that I have spoken hard things against you; for if ye do, ye will revile against the truth; for I have spoken the words of your Maker. I know that the words of truth are hard against all uncleanness; but the righteous fear them not, for they love the truth and are not shaken.

Angry?

:P

Angry?

There was no anger in Elder Holland's fervent and powerful address. But it certainly consisted of "hard truths."

I know it filled my heart (as well as those of my family) with an overwhelming feeling of gratitude and reinforced testimony of the truthfulness and divine origins of the Book of Mormon.

But, to you, this Apostle's words were filled with what you characterize as "anger."

Quit preaching, that's not what this forum is for.

I disagree that it was even "righteous anger."

He was fervent, but I certainly discerned nothing even resembling "anger" in his words.

Of course, I myself (along with many others who boldly defend the restored gospel on this and other message boards) am often characterized as "an angry apologist." It is a very common criticism in the mouths of those antagonistic to The Church of Jesus Christ. I find it ironic that this allegation of "anger" is very often couched in obviously angry and malicious language.

Archived