Seriously No Politics ×

Jeffrey R. Holland's Talk

Matthew J. Tandy

Quit preaching, that's not what this forum is for.

When you are granted the power and privilege of setting the parameters of discourse for this forum, you may interpret and enforce the "rules" as you see fit.

Until then, I will continue to express myself as I see fit, and consistent with my understanding of "what this forum is for."

Elder Holland is the one speaker that continues to embolden and inspire me like know other General Authority. I always look forward to his talks and find myself completely spellbound and filled with the spirit while he talks. Where General Conference to me, on the whole, can be pretty somnambulant Holland is a great example of what General Conference can and should be. He reminds me more and more of what a Prophet should and would sound like in these modern times.

But, to you, this Apostle's words were filled with what you characterize as "anger."

As you're surely aware, there is such a thing as righteous indignation.

I happen to believe we saw some of that in portions of that discourse.

And that doesn't detract from his talk or his character in the least. On the contrary.

What I heard from Elder Holland reminded me of this:

?A very large church was opened for [Joseph] to preach in, and about three thousand people assembled to hear him. Brother Rigdon spoke first, and dwelt on the Gospel, illustrating his doctrine by the Bible. When he was through, brother Joseph arose like a lion about to roar; and being full of the Holy Ghost, spoke in great power, bearing testimony of the visions he had seen, the ministering of angels which he had enjoyed; and how he had found the plates of the Book of Mormon, and translated them by the gift and power of God. He commenced by saying: ?If nobody else had the courage to testify of so glorious a message from Heaven, and of the finding of so glorious a record, he felt to do it in justice to the people, and leave the event with God.? ? (Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1938, pp. 298?99.)

When you are granted the power and privilege of setting the parameters of discourse for this forum, you may interpret and enforce the "rules" as you see fit.

Until then, I will continue to express myself as I see fit, and consistent with my understanding of "what this forum is for."

Of course.

Knock yourself out!

And that doesn't detract from his talk or his character in the least. On the contrary.

Last night, President Monson didn't seem to have a high opinion of any type of anger.

I agree with you that righteous "indignation" can often be a very appropriate reaction, and that Elder Holland manifest some of that type of "indignation" in his address.

But I do not equate "righteous indignation" with anger. And, most importantly, I am convinced that "O-Brother" had something entirely different in mind when he leveled his criticisms. As I indicated above, this allegation of "anger" is a very common one on the part of those disaffected from the restored gospel when they describe the fervent defenses of the faith issued by those who continue to believe.

Sounded like a hint of desperation in his voice. :P

While I am glad you restrained yourself here as compared to your "bold" words on the other message board, I think you are wrong in ten different ways, and so forth. Or do I just sense a hint of desperation in your words? ;)

Elder Holland is the one speaker that continues to embolden and inspire me like know other General Authority. I always look forward to his talks and find myself completely spellbound and filled with the spirit while he talks. Where General Conference to me, on the whole, can be pretty somnambulant Holland is a great example of what General Conference can and should be. He reminds me more and more of what a Prophet should and would sound like in these modern times.

A55,

He was the incoming BYU President when I was there.. Pretty exciting and spiritual man! :P

What I heard from Elder Holland reminded me of this:

A very large church was opened for [Joseph] to preach in, and about three thousand people assembled to hear him. Brother Rigdon spoke first, and dwelt on the Gospel, illustrating his doctrine by the Bible. When he was through, brother Joseph arose like a lion about to roar; and being full of the Holy Ghost, spoke in great power, bearing testimony of the visions he had seen, the ministering of angels which he had enjoyed; and how he had found the plates of the Book of Mormon, and translated them by the gift and power of God. He commenced by saying: ?If nobody else had the courage to testify of so glorious a message from Heaven, and of the finding of so glorious a record, he felt to do it in justice to the people, and leave the event with God.? ? (Autobiography of Parley P. Pratt, Salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1938, pp. 298?99.)

Precisely!

But Will, of necessity feels the need to call the person of such an observation to repentance, simply because they made a perceived observation.

There ought to be a "NO Jonah" policy. It's more inappropriate (and annoying) than the "No proselytizing" rule.

I loved his talk as well. I missed the first two sessions and was worried I had passed the opportunity to hear him speak. I love his talks, especially the Tongue of Angels from April '07.

Note: Dying for one's belief does not prove its truth. Though it was a nice point.

I too was so happy at Elder Holland's no holds barred testimony of the Book of Mormon. I'm wondering if something has happened recently to spark this fervent testimony. Or maybe he just saw the protesters on Temple Square and decided to just lay it out in very plain English with no room for misunderstanding where we stand on this issue.

I too was so happy at Elder Holland's no holds barred testimony of the Book of Mormon. I'm wondering if something has happened recently to spark this fervent testimony. Or maybe he just saw the protesters on Temple Square and decided to just lay it out in very plain English with no room for misunderstanding where we stand on this issue.

D,

I believe he has always been a no non-sense kind of guy!

:P

Who said otherwise? Certainly not Elder Holland.

LOP,

Tell that to the thousands of Soldiers that have believed this is the greatest country in the world and have paid the ultimate price for that belief! :P

And I spent the time fighting with the video software. During the time between sessions, I switched to see some other things available, but when I tried to get back to the conference at the start of the final session there was no button or link to do so. I could watch any of the other sessions, and various other things, but getting onto the current conference session wasn't available. I saw a button labelled "Go Live" and thought this might be it, but all it did was take me to the World Report. I never did get back to the conference video.

Finally settled on just the audio, but Elder Holland's talk was long over.

Keeping fighting the good fight! The vid is still online - for those who are overseas and all. click on Sat afternon session, and Holland - you can still watch it.

Yes, Holland was awesome!!! What an apologist :P.

Who are Solomon Spaulding and Ethan Smith Btw? What do they have to do with Mormonism? Where they early member who opposed the work or something?

Wow, you don't get out much, do you? I thought everyone knew who these two gents were! Obviously they don't.

Anyway, Spaulding wrote a fictional work called "Manuscript Story" (never published) some time before the appearance of the Book of Mormon, and some folks who had heard of Spaulding's work thought that the Book of Mormon must be some plagiarized version of the work. Even though Spaulding's manuscript was eventually found and discovered to have no similarity to the Book of Mormon, some folks have continued to insist that Joseph must have been inspired by it in the production of the BoM.

Ethan Smith (no relation to Joseph) wrote something called "View of the Hebrews", published in 1823 and 1825.

Spaulding's clumsy fiction, for some odd reason, gets all the attention of the antis, where Smith's work, which actually seems to be more credibly a precursor to the BoM, seems to get none.

There may have been "something in the air" in the early 1800's, a Zeitgeist, if you will, that sparked all three works. Similar things seem to have happened at other times. The Protestant Reformation, for example, and that sudden surge in interest in genealogy that began shortly after the appearance of Elijah in the Kirtland Temple. I don't doubt that receptive souls are prepared for momentous events through the Spirit of the Lord, and some would naturally lean in odd directions, as most of us do seem to be bent in one direction or another!

Archived