Seriously No Politics ×

Is Brandon Sanderson "lame"

1 minute ago, Navidad said:

Are you talking about me and my dissertation? I just keep writing and writing and writing and I am running out of time! Also, at least one member of my committee gives me the sense that he thinks it is fantasy! Ha! 🙃

Good luck (and, indeed, Godspeed) with that endeavor, Sir. :) 

38 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

👍Which book-just curious

I whas just looking on Wikipedia. I need to look it back because i forget wich one it whas. Give me a moment. I'm comming back to you.... ...... Edit i'm back it whas about Rithmatisma or so. 

Edited by Dario_M
48 minutes ago, Stormin' Mormon said:

Nothing old fashioned about Sanderson's work.

Well...i share i differend opinion about that. I myself also write books (in dutch offcourse) but i go fully on hardcore when i am writing. Published 2 books allready. 😎

And yeah...i just don't like old fassion. 

48 minutes ago, Stormin' Mormon said:

His stuff is usually a fresh take on the fantasy genre, stuff you'll never see anywhere else, some weird, some outlandish, some just downright cinematically engaging. But nothing, ever, that's old, tired, or been done before.

That little peach of his book Rithmatisma that i saw on wiki whas not reallly promising. But maybe i need to read the whole book to have an honest opinion. 

Edited by Dario_M
41 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

I whas just looking on Wikipedia. I need to look it back because i forget wich one it whas. Give me a moment. I'm comming back to you.... ...... Edit i'm back it whas about Rithmatisma or so. 

Yeah, Sanderson has actually said he regrets some of the themes in that book and would have done it differently if he had it over again. Part of the reason he left that alone (was originally intended to be a few books). 

32 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

Well...i share i differend opinion about that. I myself also write books (in dutch offcourse) but i go fully on hardcore when i am writing. Published 2 books allready. 😎

That little peach of his book Rithmatisma that i saw on wiki whas not reallly promising. But maybe i need to read the whole book to have an honest opinion. 

The Rithmatitst is one of those books that even Sanderson fans forget exists. I wouldn't look to it as representative of what Sanderson can do as a writer.

His core works can be found in the Cosmere. Do a wiki search of THAT term and you'll stumble down a rabbit hole of interconnected series and standalones, none of it conventional or old fashioned.

If you really wanna try Sanderson, either try The Final Empire (if door stoppers intimidate you) or the Way of Kings (if they don't). I'd really hate for you to get the wrong idea about an author from reading one of his failed works*

(*yes, failed works. The Rithmatist was originally part of the Cosmere, but retroactively removed. It was also planned as part of a series, which 10 years later, never developed. Seems like even Brandon saw the Rithmatist as a dead end).

Edited by Stormin' Mormon
28 minutes ago, Dario_M said:

Of his stuff in Dutch, this would be the place to try if you were interested (in my opinion):

https://www.lastdodo.com/en/items/5645835-het-laatste-rijk

32 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Yeah, Sanderson has actually said he regrets some of the themes in that book and would have done it differently if he had it over again. Part of the reason he left that alone (was originally intended to be a few books). 

Yeah yeah.  After you have published a book it is a little to late for that. 

After i publish a book i just don't read it again. Never. It's done. It's over. May there be still a mistake simwhere is it to late to sovle that mistake anyway. So.. for me it's time to move on. To the next book. 

Brandon should have done the same.

Edited by Dario_M
15 minutes ago, Stormin' Mormon said:

The Rithmatitst is one of those books that even Sanderson fans forget exists. I wouldn't look to it as representative of what Sanderson can do as a writer.

His core works can be found in the Cosmere. Do a wiki search of THAT term and you'll stumble down a rabbit hole of interconnected series and standalones, none of it conventional or old fashioned.

I will look into it. 

If you really wanna try Sanderson, either try The Final Empire (if door stoppers intimidate you) or the Way of Kings (if they don't). I'd really hate for you to get the wrong idea about an author from reading one of his failed works*

I get that. That's kinda said for him as well.😔

(*yes, failed works. The Rithmatist was originally part of the Cosmere, but retroactively removed. It was also planned as part of a series, which 10 years later, never developed. Seems like even Brandon saw the Rithmatist as a dead end).

Aaaawh yeah that's to bad. I didn't even realised that Rithmatist what that old anyway. 10 years is a long time. 

3 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

That view does not allow for growth as a person. I’m not the same person I was twenty, ten or even five years ago. 

Well... i don't read my published books anyway. It's done. It's fine. I have done my best. So i'm proud anyway. And move on. Eventhough i get bad feedback on it. Wich i got a lot. But yeah...Dutch people complain about everything i find. It's never good inough for them. 😞

Brandon should do the same and don't worrie about his book. My opinion about his book whas just an opinion. And at the end of the day other people's opinions are not important and doesn't matter anyway.

That's how i see it at least. 

18 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

Translated, your native language is Dutch no?

Yes it's tranlated in my native language. Het laatste rijk means: "The last kingdom"  

oh wait mistake. I'm tired. Not the last kingdom. Otherwise in Dutch that would be: Het laatste koninkrijk. 

Edited by Dario_M
5 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

Very popular and successful American fantasy writer who is also LDS. Along the order of Orson Scott Card, Brandon Mull, Margaret Weiss, and, of course, Talentissimo Gui.

I don't believe Margaret Weiss is LDS.  Her common co-author, Tracy Hickman, is.  Maybe you switched the two?

I tried reading one of his books and discovered that I don't like the Fantasy genre much at all.  Which I wasn't really prepared for because I love LOTRs, The Neverending Story, and stuff like that.  

But I know that he is well loved and his books (especially the Mistborn series I think) are really popular.  I haven't read the article from Mr. snootypants but who cares if someone is the best writer.  As long as people love reading their books then that's really all that matters.  Stephenie Meyers is not a good writer at all (some of her stuff is super cringey), but she's a good storyteller and that can make all the difference.  I've read some awesome writers whose books were not at all fun to read.

Article guy sounds like one of those people who can't handle it when someone likes something they don't like.

4 hours ago, webbles said:

I don't believe Margaret Weiss is LDS.  Her common co-author, Tracy Hickman, is.  Maybe you switched the two?

I don't believe Margaret Weiss is LDS.  Her common co-author, Tracy Hickman, is.  Maybe you switched the two?Indeed, I misspoke. Tracy Hickman and Margaret Weiss collaborated on many fantasy books.  I misremembered her as the LDS partner. The Dragonlance series were staples in our home when the kids were young. I read many of the books aloud to the them. We even learned to make Otik’s spiced potatoes…still do! Started a three-generation love affair with Tolkien, Sanderson, D&D, Wizards of the Coast, and other fantasy stuff.

https://www.aaronjasinski.com/media?lightbox=image_1c81

Edited by Bernard Gui
6 hours ago, Stormin' Mormon said:

Writing style aside, Brandon does a couple of things that make him stand out from other fantasy authors.

First: he is extremely transpatent with his fans. He communicates regularly and openly about the writing process, tracks the progress of various projects, and engages fans on their theories about his work.

Second: He is industrious. While Patrick Rothfuss and George RR Martin take years (or decades) between books, Brandon just keeps writing and writing and writing (like he'srunning out of time). He has a large staff that helps with editing, proofreading, continuity, and all the inicdentals to publishing. This staff is largely people who believed in and supported him when he was still unpublished; it's his way of giving back to the people who made him him.

Finally: he's just a respectful class act. 

We could use more authors like Brando Sando.

Fun Fact: back in the day, my wife worked with him as one of three editors at a BYU student-lead fantasy magazine. They weren't super close, but because of that association, we have been avid Sanderson fans since the very beginning.

Amen and amen! A class act indeed. Our son Talentissimo is a largely self-taught fantasy writer working on his magnum opus, but he uses and loves Sanderson’s free tutoring. What a great service! 

Edited by Bernard Gui
4 hours ago, Dario_M said:

After i publish a book i just don't read it again. Never. It's done. It's over. May there be still a mistake simwhere is it to late to sovle that mistake anyway. So.. for me it's time to move on. To the next book. 

Brandon should have done the same.

Sanderson is surely the only writer in history to write a poor novel and then abandon it.

But, of course, much to his credit he did move on, as you advised him.

18 hours ago, Meadowchik said:

I had a friend who lived near him and got Sanderson to sign a poster for my son who reads all his books. Nice guy.

Sanderson creates entertaining worldbuilding. But I wouldn't be surprised if he really is stuck as an artist in terms of developing better prose and deeper characters.

Oh that I were so stuck.

8 hours ago, Dario_M said:

He is another oldfassion Mormon that has quite bald and old ideas. I have read a bit from his writing online. And i'm afrait i can't be all to stoked about this stories or his philosophical ideas . 

Not.

18 hours ago, Navidad said:

Are you talking about me and my dissertation? I just keep writing and writing and writing and I am running out of time! Also, at least one member of my committee gives me the sense that he thinks it is fantasy! Ha! 🙃

We had a fellow in our ward who was a security guard. He had gone to law school, but never passed the bar exam, not because he wasn’t smart enough, but that he always wrote so much that he could never finish. He gave very long prayers in sacrament meeting.

Edited by Bernard Gui
38 minutes ago, OGHoosier said:

I will freely admit to loving Brandon Sanderson and being current on his cosmere literary universe. 

I've found his novels to be enthralling and, more importantly, his characterization deeply moving. Dalinar Kholin's arc in Oathbringer is probably the most moving account of guilt and redemption which I've ever read in fiction. The Mistborn series captures the nature of religious struggle very well in the character of Sazed, Spook, and Waxilium Ladrian. One of my more useful theological speculations was actually inspired by the cosmology he sets up therein. Sanderson is whatever the opposite of "lame" is, and I am a shameless fan.

I too am a fan. The wired article does indeed seem like ‘coastal elite’ problem. Snobby and sneering. Why even bother? Sanderson, with his millions, can certainly be magnanimous. 

Dario. Why not start at the beginning and read Elantris or Mistborn? I don’t ‘love’ all his book but do love most.