Foreign Language Branches - how can I help?

Happy New year, yall.

Looking for standard and non-standard suggestions for how I can help a local foreign langauge branch which I attended and felt the Spirit strongly confirm the faith and testimonies of the maybe 40 members. 

1. My records are in a different stake. May I move them without moving my family's records and without physically moving? I also have a stake calling, so...

2. We pay tithing online. Can we pay it via the foreigh language branch? Not sure online tithe paying can be connected to your ward. Not sure funding is influenced by that. 

3. I believe attendance influences funding (from my days of serving as a clerk). If I attend I dont think that will help that much but is it the only way I can help?

4. Can I pay fast offerings with cash or a physical check in that branch instead of my ward which does not need my tithe, fast offering, service or attendance?

5. Is funding for branches like this (very rare foreign language; branch is 2 years old, only other branches of this language are in California and maybe a few in the Middle East military branches) NOT dependent on attendance?

6. How does stake leadership create branches like this? Or is HQ more involved like with the SLC Nepali Branch, due to the rareness of the langauge and initially limited resources?

25 minutes ago, nuclearfuels said:

Happy New year, yall.

Looking for standard and non-standard suggestions for how I can help a local foreign langauge branch which I attended and felt the Spirit strongly confirm the faith and testimonies of the maybe 40 members. 

1. My records are in a different stake. May I move them without moving my family's records and without physically moving? I also have a stake calling, so...

Only with permission from both your bishop and the branch president. If you move them you wouldn't have your stake calling anymore.  I seriously would doubt you would get the permission especially if moving just you.

2. We pay tithing online. Can we pay it via the foreigh language branch? Not sure online tithe paying can be connected to your ward. Not sure funding is influenced by that. 

It is connected to your ward (at least from my understanding) and what happened with our bishop having a record of what we paid a few years ago when I went to tithing settlement last.

3. I believe attendance influences funding (from my days of serving as a clerk). If I attend I dont think that will help that much but is it the only way I can help?

It does influence it.  I even saw the clerk counting today which is coincidental because I haven't noticed that in a decade.

4. Can I pay fast offerings with cash or a physical check in that branch instead of my ward which does not need my tithe, fast offering, service or attendance?

You can pay fast offerings anywhere you want.  You don't even have to be a member.  If you want to do it technically correct you could do 2 meals worth to your own ward and more to the branch. Though I've never heard that fast offerings have to be to your own ward.  Though wards who have more should send it to their stakes and so on and then back down to wards who need it.

5. Is funding for branches like this (very rare foreign language; branch is 2 years old, only other branches of this language are in California and maybe a few in the Middle East military branches) NOT dependent on attendance?

Good question

6. How does stake leadership create branches like this? Or is HQ more involved like with the SLC Nepali Branch, due to the rareness of the langauge and initially limited resources?

How can you help? If you have time attend both your ward and branch. Offer to translate when needed if you can.  If the branch has mostly new immigrants or refugees volunteer and get info from refugee organizations so you understand their position better.  Share your gently used items with them.  Help them find jobs.  Invite some to dinner or a party.  Volunteer your yard for a branch activity.  Go on a temple visit with them and translate where you can.  Offer to help with communicating with children and schools.  Join Nepalese sites online and get an idea of some of the problems they run against.  Slip gift cards from specialty groceries nearby under the bishops doors.

18 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

If it was moving from one ward English speaking to another then this would need First Presidency approval.  Where it's a language branch it may not need to go that high.  But, I'd guess it would need the approval of both stake presidents.  Especially since the other members of your family are not changing.

Tithing should be paid in the ward where your records are located.  Online tithing is connected to your ward.

It's been several years since I was in the bishopric, but I can't see this as being more than a $10-15 increase a quarter for the unit you'd be moving to.

You could.  The branch, though, doesn't necessarily need your tithing or fast offering donations to function.  Both of these funds are administered by church headquarters.  Units that spend more in fast offerings than they take in are not penalized in any way.  The ward I've lived in for the past twenty years is in a lower income area and always spends more from the fast offering fund than it takes in in donations.

Language branches are funded in the same way as other wards and branches.  The only exception I'm aware of are YSA units which have a higher per person budget.

Language Wards and Branches

A stake president may propose creating a language ward or branch for stake members (1) who do not speak the local native language or (2) who use sign language.

A stake president may also propose creating a language ward or branch that includes members from one or more neighboring stakes. The stake presidents involved plan and coordinate the recommendation. One of the participating stakes will be responsible for the ward or branch.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/manual/general-handbook/37-specialized-stakes-wards-and-branches?lang=eng#title_number2

1. Sometimes people are allowed to choose to move their records to a language branch upon request.  (But it probably does require approval of all the bishop/bp/sp?)    I can't see your moving yours without your familys being a different process then when parents divorce.  

2. Not sure online tithe paying can be connected to your ward. Not sure funding is influenced by that.   It is paid wherever your records are because that is how the link is.

3. Lots of people help the language branch as much as they can.  And those branches when small are not funded in the same way independent branches or wards are.

4. If your records are in the branch your fo  will go to that branch (which draws upon  the extra fo that your own ward (and other wards in your stake) don't use, so nothing would change by your doing it other than the paperwork suggesting they are more self-reliant than they really are.)

5.     They track those numbers, but no those branches are solely funded by attendance.

6.    SLC is likely different than other US language congregations, not the least of which because there are so many atypical congregations.

19 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Happy New year, yall.

Find out whether or not the foreign language unit covers your stake.  They often cover more than one stake (at least in my neck of the woods).  If it does, you may be able to have your records there as an out of unit member without changing your home ward membership.   Our family currently has out of unit membership in a foreign language unit so I know it is possible. It is our current stake policy to have all youth and primary that attend the foreign language unit to be out of unit members of the ward where they live. 

4 hours ago, ksfisher said:

If it was moving from one ward English speaking to another then this would need First Presidency approval.  Where it's a language branch it may not need to go that high.  But, I'd guess it would need the approval of both stake presidents

This seems odd and kind of like an intimidation tactic.

4 hours ago, ksfisher said:

The only exception I'm aware of are YSA units which have a higher per person budget.

Interesting. I wonder why, honestly.

On 1/22/2023 at 8:11 PM, nuclearfuels said:

Happy New year, yall.

Been in a similar situation. 

You just need the approval of your destination brach president. Then he will have the ward clerk pull your records, but not your family.

Worse case your family ward has to pull back the others' records. 

16 minutes ago, jpv said:

You just need the approval of your destination bra[n]ch president.

That's not what the Handbook says (emphasis added):

Membership records should be kept in the ward where the member lives. Exceptions, which should be rare, require the consent of the bishops and stake presidents involved. To request an exception, the stake president uses LCR to submit the request to the Office of the First Presidency.

18 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

That may be what the handbook says but that is not the practice when it come to foreign language wards.

Generally anyone in the stake (or stakes if it covers multiple stakes) can ask for their records to be transferred to the unit.   Foreign language units are strange creatures without definite boundaries and vague qualifications for membership.   I serve in a Spanish unit. Many members of the unit don't speak Spanish and many Spanish speakers in our stake don't belong to the unit. Often there ae families that are split between their geographical unit and the Spanish unit.  Coordination of Priesthood Keys between units for the same family can get interesting. 

21 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Hamba, it's very likely he does live in those boundaries. It just so happens his English ward is also in those boundaries. Most people just don't think about that people in Utah may live in probably 5-10 ward boundaries.

Edited by jpv
Is->his
5 hours ago, jpv said:

Most people just don't think about that people in Utah may live in probably 5-10 ward boundaries.

I live in Utah.  I am trying to imagine what 5 wards I could be in, let alone ten.  Are you thinking 1 family ward, 1 student branch, and the rest various language branches or something else?

12 hours ago, Calm said:

I live in Utah.  I am trying to imagine what 5 wards I could be in, let alone ten.  Are you thinking 1 family ward, 1 student branch, and the rest various language branches or something else?

Where I live (not Utah), Our family's records are in the local ward where we live.   Our family are also have our records in a Spanish branch as out of unit members.  I'm the elders quorum president, my wife is the relief society president.  Our children attend sacrament meeting in a different ward that meets right before the Spanish ward meets (they don't speak Spanish) as well as Sunday school and seconds hour at that ward, then they attend sacrament meeting with the Spanish branch.  During the week they attend youth activities in the local ward where we live and sometimes they will attend sacrament meeting and second hour there (makes for a long Sunday when they do).  When our older youth come home from college for Christmas or summer, they will follow this schedule as well as participate in the YSA ward (sometimes their records stay at local ward sometimes at YSA depending on how long they are staying).