Seriously No Politics ×

The Church as the 5th Largest Private Landholder in U.S.

5 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:
  5 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I guess I'm a hoarder, too.

5 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

Same!

Blood of Israel? Or did Ephraim pick it up from Joseph and the seven years?

On 12/9/2022 at 1:14 PM, smac97 said:

Just saw this, posted a few hours ago:

Not that this will ever matter to the relentlessly fault-finding cynics/critics of the Church.  They'll always have their pre-packaged answer to whatever the Church does, which is that it's...

never-enough-jenny-lind.gif

And that no matter what the Church does, it must do...

star-wars.gif

;) 

Thanks,

-Smac

Another:

Last month, the Church provided 74,000 fruit tree seedlings — including avocado, mango, lemon, orange and guava — for planting at schools, hospitals and homes of families in need at seven locations across the Dodoma region of central Tanzania. 

The region is an arid one, and the trees will also be used to beautify town squares and provide shade.

It is just the first portion of what will be 130,000 fruit tree seedlings that the Church will donate in the districts of Arusha — at the foot of Africa’s tallest peak Mount Kilimanjaro — and Dar es Salaam, the country’s largest business and population center, reported the Church’s Africa Newsroom.

Thanks,

-Smac

On 12/11/2022 at 4:37 AM, Stargazer said:

I guess I'm a hoarder, too.

Perhaps, but let's make sure the situations are similar.

First, the Church is never going to retire. Into perpetuity, the Church will have income from tithing that is proportional to the strength of its membership. Second, the Church already has an obscene amount of money saved.

Trying to make the situation comparable for an individual, is your situation like the following?

1- You have an annuity with a AAA-rated insurance company that will pay you $200,000 a year, every year, until both you and your spouse pass away. The $200,000 annual payment is indexed for inflation.

2- In addition to the $200,000 annuity, you have an additional $4 million in savings for emergencies, such as needing to repair the furnace unexpectedly or whatever. That $4 million in savings provides an additional $200,000 a year in income.

3- You have no debt.

4- Of your $400,000 annual income, you set aside about $220,000 every year in additional savings, because you're not sure the $4 million next egg is big enough. You aren't saving with any particular goal in mind. You just want more money in the bank just in case.

5- You donate about $5,000 a year, or 1.25% of your total income, to charity. You'd like to give more and claim charitable giving is an important part of your identity, but you just can't afford it.

If that were your situation, then yes, I would accuse you of hoarding. If that were you, I'd commend you for giving away $5,000 a year, but when evaluating how much of a philanthropist you are, I'd compare your $5,000 in charity to the $220,000 you put into your already-obscenely large rainy-day fund. 

Edited by Analytics
6 hours ago, Analytics said:

If that were your situation, then yes, I would accuse you of hoarding.

Lest you think that your bold statement and perceptions have silenced me, let me respond to your potential accusation:

Go do something useful besides worrying about how other people manage their money.

19 hours ago, Calm said:

If it is the place I am thinking of, it’s not just for leaders.

I was in the same ward as the son of the family who donated the property to BYU. It is an amazing place, and not available to the General Public. So yes, it is not just for leaders.  Our BYU ward booked it for an afternoon, but we were told that the only reason were able to get it when we did is because the guy in my ward (the donating family get priority). I know other wards and groups use it for activities and retreats. 

I was also told at the time from the family member that senior church leaders often used the property for family reunions, thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.. I guess I should try and and see if I can book it for a family event... 

1 hour ago, Snodgrassian said:

I was in the same ward as the son of the family who donated the property to BYU. It is an amazing place, and not available to the General Public. So yes, it is not just for leaders.  Our BYU ward booked it for an afternoon, but we were told that the only reason were able to get it when we did is because the guy in my ward (the donating family get priority). I know other wards and groups use it for activities and retreats. 

I was also told at the time from the family member that senior church leaders often used the property for family reunions, thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.. I guess I should try and and see if I can book it for a family event... 

Would be interesting to see if BYU employees could rent it. May ask my neighbor if I see him out shoveling snow. 

22 hours ago, Calm said:

If it is the place I am thinking of, it’s not just for leaders.

I went to a family reunion many moons ago here. My aunt and uncle, who was a professor at BYU were able to reserve it. There's another place my husband's family rented that belonged to the church in the mountains and now forgot where. Found this, and it's not open to the general public: https://springhaven.byu.edu/

Edited by Tacenda
On 12/9/2022 at 11:17 AM, smac97 said:

And again, the nature and beneficiaries and usages of that wealth need to be addressed.  Neither the Brethren nor anyone else are enriching themselves via the Church and its "wealth."  I find that to be a very significant consideration, worth far more of an assessment than "Sure."

This seems your favorite argument to excuse the massive wealth accumulation and it really is a canard.  So great.  The leaders are not living high on the hog. So what?  It still does not excuse the fact that the person whose church this church claims to be was rather anti wealth accumulation and pro using resources to relieve suffering. Even if the leaders are not amassing the wealth, which is commendable, the Church is.  Beyond what seems reasonable for its needs.

Edited by Teancum
21 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Lest you think that your bold statement and perceptions have silenced me, let me respond to your potential accusation:

Go do something useful besides worrying about how other people manage their money.

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner; I’ve been busy doing other things.

I wouldn’t say I worry about how other people spend their money, but I do think it is worthwhile to share an informed opinion about economics and tax policy.

21 minutes ago, Analytics said:

Sorry I didn’t reply sooner; I’ve been busy doing other things.

I wouldn’t say I worry about how other people spend their money, but I do think it is worthwhile to share an informed opinion about economics and tax policy.

Of course we've all got other things going on. I sometimes go weeks without visiting this site. So I didn't know how long it would be before I came back. But here I am again, so...

How informed are you, anyway? I've seen an awful lot of people who don't seem to know as much as they think they know about economics and tax policy. People who, for instance, have never cracked a book on basic economics in their life. Who think ignorant things about economics, for example, like thinking that price controls make things easier for people to afford things. Or that taxing corporations somehow doesn't cause prices for goods and services to increase. 

Let me tell you what I believe would happen the minute the Church became totally transparent on its finances. Not one hour would go by before every meddling busybody activist on every channel of the dial would leap out crying "How dare you!" while posturing about how the Church's ox was goring their favorite horse, and demanding that President Nelson spend the Church's money in a hundred different ways than it currently does. Instead of all these busybody activists grumbling about transparency at a low-key level, the furor around it all would become deafening. And they'd be even less happy than they were before. There is absolutely nothing to gain, from the Church's standpoint, in going transparent.

24 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

Of course we've all got other things going on. I sometimes go weeks without visiting this site. So I didn't know how long it would be before I came back. But here I am again, so...

How informed are you, anyway? I've seen an awful lot of people who don't seem to know as much as they think they know about economics and tax policy. People who, for instance, have never cracked a book on basic economics in their life. Who think ignorant things about economics, for example, like thinking that price controls make things easier for people to afford things. Or that taxing corporations somehow doesn't cause prices for goods and services to increase. 

Let me tell you what I believe would happen the minute the Church became totally transparent on its finances. Not one hour would go by before every meddling busybody activist on every channel of the dial would leap out crying "How dare you!" while posturing about how the Church's ox was goring their favorite horse, and demanding that President Nelson spend the Church's money in a hundred different ways than it currently does. Instead of all these busybody activists grumbling about transparency at a low-key level, the furor around it all would become deafening. And they'd be even less happy than they were before. There is absolutely nothing to gain, from the Church's standpoint, in going transparent.

Exactly, the church has way more than what's in the Ensign account. I think those like you and others would be shocked to know. But so be it.

2 hours ago, Teancum said:

... the person whose church this church claims to be was rather anti wealth accumulation and using resources to relieve suffering.

Bingo!

Imo money is power to do good, and ought to be used that way.    

Whether you're a believer or an atheist or a religion, you don't get to take it with you!  Might as well use your power for good while you're here. 

9 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Exactly, the church has way more than what's in the Ensign account. I think those like you and others would be shocked to know. But so be it.

My wife is a millionaire. Some people might be shocked at that, given our modest lifestyle. 

As it turns out in my wife's case, her wealth is in two paid-in-full houses that are more a source of expense than anything else. It is very likely that the Church's wealth is similarly in non-liquid property, meaning not easily converted to cash. Consider how many meetinghouses the church owns. They're all paid-in-full, and each worth hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars. Wow, super rich, right? Well, not really. The church can't really sell them, because if they did, where would their congregations meet? Even if nobody's using them at this time, who's going to buy them? Even worse when it comes to temples. The larger the property and the more specialized, the harder it is to sell. 

As for the church, I don't think I would be shocked. I actually hope the Church has LOTS of wealth. The time will come when it will definitely need it.

Better to be prepared and not need it, than need it and not have it.

17 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

How informed are you, anyway?

Interesting question. Let's just say that I've recently worked as an expert witness in a billion dollar dispute in an arbitration between two large corporations on an issue that isn't completely unrelated to this. I've spent a lot of time discussing my qualifications, and don't feel like doing that here.

17 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

If the Church were transparent, at a bare minimum it would be able to look its membership in the eyes and say it was following best financial practices for churches and non-profits.

Would everybody be 100% on board with how the Church runs itself? No. But members would have the opportunity to be more informed about what they are donating their money to, and they would be able to weigh whether the Church's rainy day fund needs the money more than their own rainy day fund. Is the Church hiding its finances from critics, or is it hiding its finances from its members? I have a feeling it's the latter because they care about the members much more than they care about the critics.

12 minutes ago, Analytics said:

Interesting question. Let's just say that I've recently worked as an expert witness in a billion dollar dispute in an arbitration between two large corporations on an issue that isn't completely unrelated to this. I've spent a lot of time discussing my qualifications, and don't feel like doing that here.

Okay! I wasn't expecting a statement of qualifications in any case. It was a rhetorical question.

If the Church were transparent, at a bare minimum it would be able to look its membership in the eyes and say it was following best financial practices for churches and non-profits.

Are you saying that when it does say this, it is looking off to the other side of the room nervously?

Would everybody be 100% on board with how the Church runs itself? No. But members would have the opportunity to be more informed about what they are donating their money to, and they would be able to weigh whether the Church's rainy day fund needs the money more than their own rainy day fund. Is the Church hiding its finances from critics, or is it hiding its finances from its members? I have a feeling it's the latter because they care about the members much more than they care about the critics.

I disagree.  I have a feeling that they care more about the critics' reactions than they care about the members'. And that they have valid concerns about those critics' reactions.

Ultimately, some of the worst critics are members and former members. The church cannot be open totally to the members without being open totally to the critics. As I'm sure you know. 

Unlike you, I have a firm testimony that the Church is being guided not only by sound financial principles, but by inspiration from God through the Holy Ghost. I trust the Church, generally, like I trust God. I expect that mistakes will be made, as despite all the inspiration in the world, we are all fallible humans. And as it turns out, as a general matter their mistakes will impact me only minimally, if at all. So I don't worry all that much about it.

Edited by Stargazer
43 minutes ago, smac97 said:

First, I place very little stock in the moral pronouncements from endlessly faultfinding critics of the Church.  In the main, I think they - like Judas - mouth insincere platitudes about "the poor," but in reality are speaking out of malice and antipathy against the Church.  There will never be a point at which such implacably hostile critics will be satisfied.  They will always find fault.  Always.

Of course.  But I do use part my resources for the poor these days.  And more goes to those in need than when the Church took up most of my discretionary charitable contributions.  I have said many times I think the Church leadership is wise and prudent to have reserve funds, invest in land etc.  A modern world requires a large institution to prepare for such things.  But amassing probably 500 billion or so of wealth IMO is excessive for a church that claims to be Jesus's church.  I have more comment that I will give on your recent post in response to my post.

45 minutes ago, Teancum said:

First, I place very little stock in the moral pronouncements from endlessly faultfinding critics of the Church.  In the main, I think they - like Judas - mouth insincere platitudes about "the poor," but in reality are speaking out of malice and antipathy against the Church.  There will never be a point at which such implacably hostile critics will be satisfied.  They will always find fault.  Always.

Of course.  But I do use part my resources for the poor these days. 

I'm glad to hear it.

I would be less glad to hear that self-appointed faultfinders who are predisposed to dislike you are presuming to adjudicate your efforts "for the poor" and endlessly faulting you for not doing "more."

And more goes to those in need than when the Church took up most of my discretionary charitable contributions. 

A very subjective value judgment, that.

Again, the Brethren are not getting rich off the Church.  Nobody is.  The Church's resources and expenditures are almost entirely devoted to helping "those in need" by providing religious instruction, educational resources, food and commodities, philanthropic and humanitarian efforts, and so on.

I have said many times I think the Church leadership is wise and prudent to have reserve funds, invest in land etc.  A modern world requires a large institution to prepare for such things.  But amassing probably 500 billion or so of wealth IMO is excessive for a church that claims to be Jesus's church.  

CFR regarding "amassing probably 500 billion."  That's a new one for me.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
2 hours ago, smac97 said:

The Church's resources and expenditures are almost entirely devoted to helping "those in need" by providing religious instruction, educational resources, food and commodities, philanthropic and humanitarian efforts, and so on.

That is factually untrue. The Church spends more of its total income on increasing the size of its for-profit portfolio of assets than on all of those things. Combined.

58 minutes ago, Analytics said:

The Church's resources and expenditures are almost entirely devoted to helping "those in need" by providing religious instruction, educational resources, food and commodities, philanthropic and humanitarian efforts, and so on.

That is factually untrue.

It is factually quite true.  See my comments above about the Church thinking about - and planning and preparing for - "50 years from now."  

58 minutes ago, Analytics said:

The Church spends more of its total income on increasing the size of its for-profit portfolio of assets than on all of those things. Combined.

Meh.  Yours is an unserious, even fatuous, position.

The Church is not building a portfolio for the sake of building a portfolio.

The Church is not building a portfolio for the sake of enriching the Brethren or anyone else.

The Church is building a portfolio so that it continue to do "50 years from now" what it is doing today: helping "those in need" by providing religious instruction, educational resources, food and commodities, philanthropic and humanitarian efforts, and so on.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97

I think Analytics' Parable of the Hoarding Retiree is flawed; we're speaking of a retiree that is an aging immortal whose ability to earn is constantly threatened by jealous parties with no consideration for longevity. With their right hand they decry his wealth, while with their left hand actively seek to stop his ability to earn anything for retirement. So, its really fake outrage. But since those of us who really love and care about him know he is like a rough stone rolling destined to crush the kingdoms of the earth, in that case how much is enough to retire on then?

Also, those paying him have conditions for how it is spent. So, we can't rob Peter to pay Paul, if there is a billion in one fund, there is no co-mingling of funds like how the irresponsible US does it, it cannot be raided for other purposes, even for the Fast Offering Fund. That's the good part of how the Church manages its money, if you all really cared about the poor, then give to the Fast Offering Fund. I'd be hard pressed to find a better place to give, since every dime you give to a church fund will only go to that fund's purpose, and to claim they are hoarding it is hollow since we all know we feed all who come to our door.

Though, whenever I see complaints about billions in responsibly utilized or invested assets, I don't think it's very much at all, I see a long game perhaps you can't fathom. For it's not for the Millenia, it's for the Tribulation. I half expect the White Horse Prophecy to come to pass, how much does it take to save/take over a nation the size of the US when it collapses do you figure? 

Image result for lds church of god flag

Edited by Pyreaux