Seriously No Politics ×

Names and terms that are no longer used

30 names and terms that are no longer used by the Church

Interesting how they have made changes to remove any possible negative connotations regarding the terms:

bishop’s court (instead use ward membership council)
disfellowship, disfellowshipment (this term was replaced by formal membership restrictons in the new handbook)
excommunication (this term was replaced by withdrawal of membership in the new handbook)
family home evening (instead use home evening) For those who have no family?
homemaking meeting (Relief Society) For those who are not or don't want to be homemakers?
welfare committee (stake or ward) 

It seems curious to me that "junior Primary" would make the list of names/terms no longer in use, but not "senior Primary." Last time I substituted in Primary (which wasn't that long ago), our ward's primary was still large enough to separate into two groups: younger and older, so it seems "odd" that we would get rid of the "junior" designation, but not the "senior" designation.

I suppose it's possible that someone just overlooked including "senior Primary" in this list?

14 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Mormon

Latter-day Saint

LDS

Latter-day Saint is still used.  

"When referring to Church members, the terms “members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints” or “Latter-day Saints” are preferred." 

9 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

It's been a while since I've been around YM/YW, so I had no idea they got rid of those names. What do they call them now? 

Nothing.  It's kind of annoying.  

They changed the structure so that YW leaders can decide how to divide the girls up however they feel works best for their organization.  It's a great change but stupid when it comes to figuring out what to call each group.  They end up being called according to the ages of the girls in that class, such as "the 12-14 year olds" or "the 15-18 year old YW", etc.  It's very unwieldy  and anonymous sounding.

2 minutes ago, Calm said:

The second is fine. 

Bluebell, Jinx!

That's interesting. Saying we're Latter-day Saints does no less than saying we're Mormons to remove Christ from our self-reference. I thought that was the whole point. I guess I just haven't paid that much attention to this whole issue.

6 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

That's interesting. Saying we're Latter-day Saints does no less than saying we're Mormons to remove Christ from our self-reference. I thought that was the whole point. I guess I just haven't paid that much attention to this whole issue.

I think the intent behind shifting from "Mormon" to "Latter-day Saint" is to not give someone the idea that we worship anyone other than Jesus Christ (such as, for example, Mormon).

As for "LDS" ...

Edited by Kenngo1969
14 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Saints is used for Christians in the Bible, so there is a scriptural precedent. Not so much Mormon. 

This teaches how a significant number of Christians view the word Saints. I am not endorsing it given its treatment of Roman Catholic belief.  Just using to show it works for Christian in many people’s view. It also has examples from the NT. 

“The word “saint” comes from the Greek word hagios, which means “consecrated to God, holy, sacred, pious.”

https://www.gotquestions.org/saints-Christian.html

Added: Bluebell beat me this time. 

Edited by Calm
34 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

That was part of it.  But President Nelson also emphasized the fact that the name came directly from the Lord by revelation, and so the name of the Church was non-negotiable.  Since "Latter-day Saint" is part of that name, and "Mormon" is not, use of the former phrase is okie-dokie, but use of the latter is not. 

12 minutes ago, Stormin' Mormon said:

That was part of it.  But President Nelson also emphasized the fact that the name came directly from the Lord by revelation, and so the name of the Church was non-negotiable.  Since "Latter-day Saint" is part of that name, and "Mormon" is not, use of the former phrase is okie-dokie, but use of the latter is not. 

I still call myself an ethnic Mormon. I don't find it offensive at all. 

1 minute ago, jkwilliams said:

I still call myself an ethnic Mormon. I don't find it offensive at all. 

I think Mormon works well for a cultural term including splinter groups have a shared heritage, but it won’t be understood that way by most for a long time. 

1 hour ago, JAHS said:

30 names and terms that are no longer used by the Church

Interesting how they have made changes to remove any possible negative connotations regarding the terms:

bishop’s court (instead use ward membership council)
disfellowship, disfellowshipment (this term was replaced by formal membership restrictons in the new handbook)
excommunication (this term was replaced by withdrawal of membership in the new handbook)
family home evening (instead use home evening) For those who have no family?
homemaking meeting (Relief Society) For those who are not or don't want to be homemakers?
welfare committee (stake or ward) 

Barak Ale

5 minutes ago, Calm said:

I think Mormon works well for a cultural term including splinter groups have a shared heritage, but it won’t be understood that way by most for a long time. 

If I mention to people that I am a "Mormon," they generally associate the term with the Utah church of which I am a member. One really nice thing about being in Ohio is that nobody ever asks me about my religion.

9 minutes ago, Tacenda said:
1 hour ago, jkwilliams said:

It's been a while since I've been around YM/YW, so I had no idea they got rid of those names. What do they call them now? 

New to me too.

Young Women Presidency
Young Women Class Advisers
Young Women 16-18
Young Women 12-15

Primary Presidency
Music
Valiant 10
Valiant 8, Valiant 9
CTR 6, CTR 7
CTR 5
Sunbeam, CTR 4
Nursery

Young Single Adults(18-30)
Single Adults (31 and over)

1 minute ago, JAHS said:

Young Women Presidency
Young Women 16-18
Young Women 12-15

Primary Presidency
Music
Valiant 10
Valiant 8, Valiant 9
CTR 6, CTR 7
CTR 5
Sunbeam, CTR 4
Nursery

👍 Thanks for taking the time, now I won't sound dumb around my very active LDS friends/family.

9 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Young Women Presidency
Young Women 16-18
Young Women 12-15

The YW in our ward are not divided in this way.  We have three classes.  Some YW organizations only have one.  Others have more than three.  It really depends on the number of girls, their ages, and how the presidency wants to divide them up.

14 minutes ago, JAHS said:

Young Women Presidency
Young Women 16-18
Young Women 12-15

Primary Presidency
Music
Valiant 10
Valiant 8, Valiant 9
CTR 6, CTR 7
CTR 5
Sunbeam, CTR 4
Nursery

Thanks for the update. I don't hear a lot just going to sacrament meeting and occasionally Sunday School.