The Showdown (includes some Shiloh content)

Disclaimer: the following is only my opinion. I'd rather not tediously post “imo” in virtually every sentence, so this post will probably come across as if I'm far more certain than is actually the case. And to be precise, this is only my opinion at one particular point in time.

The Telestial World – aka planet earth – is a world characterized by the Showdown between good and evil, right and wrong, light and darkness. The inhabitants of the Telestial World have enormous opportunity for advancement by using their free will, but there are many competing voices and making the right choice is not easy.

Our souls can tell the difference between light and darkness, that's part of the game, but the soul's soft voice is often drowned out by the much louder voices clamoring within our minds, let alone all the voices coming from outside. We do not intend for our minds to work against our souls, but dangit that's what often happens.

It's like clouds are obscuring the light, but these cloud are either generated or permitted entry by the mind, therefore the mind is also the key to dissipating them. Wouldn't it be nice if our minds worked “for us” rather than “against us”? So instead of taking on each mistake our minds make one at a time, let me suggest a “lens” we can look through which makes it easier to brush past the clouds and perceive the light.

See if you notice a common thread in these ideas:

Love your neighbor as yourself.

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, with all thy mind, with all thy soul, and with all thy strength – in other words, completely and without reservation.

A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another, even as I have loved you.

God is love, God created us like Himself, therefore we too are love.

Perfect love casts out all fear.

So the common thread is love.  Let me home in on that last idea: Love and fear cannot co-exist, or at least not “perfect love” and fear.

Now, we are told that “fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom”, but it is ONLY the beginning. God uses fearful language to get through to those at a very early stage of the journey – see D&C 19: 6-12.  I engendered plenty of fear in my children about wandering out into the street.  So an idea can be less than perfect love, and still be extremely useful.  But further down the path is where we start to encounter “perfect love”, which casts out ALL fear.  Investigators do not decide to be baptized because their answer to prayer filled them with fear, but because it filled them with light and love. 

So that which engenders fear is less than “perfect love”.  And here is the key, the lens that we can so easily look through:  By paying attention to whether an idea engenders love or fear, we can enlist our MINDS to help us distinguish light from darkness.

So let's give it a trial run:

“The Kingdom of Heaven is within you.” (New Testament) That seems like love and light to me. Check.

“What manner of men [and women] ought ye to be? Verily I say unto you, even as I am.” (Book of Mormon) Okay, that works too. Check.

“The worth of souls is great in the sight of God.” (Doctrine & Covenants) We're on a roll!

“I came not to bring peace, but a sword.” (New Testament) Woah. That feels different to me. Unless some new understanding changes the meaning of this passage for me, it goes on my “I don't think so” shelf for now. Perhaps someone wrote these words into Jesus' mouth, because they seem totally uncharacteristic for the Prince of Peace who taught us to “turn the other cheek”, “resist not evil”, “love your enemies”, “fear not he who can kill the body", and to be "wise as serpents and harmless as doves.” (I can think of an alternative interpretation which shifts the meaning of “I came not to bring peace but a sword” away from the obvious, but that's not my point here. My point is that we deliberately look through the lens of “does this engender love or fear?”, to clear the way for the soul's soft voice to be heard.)  One more:

“All people who have Negro blood are disallowed to hold the priesthood of the Adamic race.... Now, if I was extremely wealthy and there were others outside of who I bequeathed it to who coveted this wealth, I wouldn't put it past some thieving schemers to come up with some ruse to try and abscond with the inheritance that I decreed to go to my children only.” (The Prophet Shiloh)   Oboy.  Big red flags.  For me, this engenders fear all around.  Fear of a God who is not fair.  Fear of a world where selfishness is okay, and extreme selfishness is extremely okay.  Fear of whichever race I'm not (says the uptight white guy with the wanna-be avatar).  Fear of a God who assumes the worst about people.  Fear of a God who chooses his favorites based on bloodlines, rather than looking on our hearts.  Fear of a God whose gifts are in limited supply instead of abundant.  Fear of a God who favors those who are “haves” by inheritance over the “have nots” by inheritance.  Fear of a God who might turn on me next.  Fear of not following whatever else the Prophet Shiloh says, because obviously only he has power to save me from this threat because nobody else even acknowledges it.  No thanks.  Rejected!

Christ's new wine simply does not fit into old tribalist winebottles, however ornate they may be:  "A new commandment I give unto you, that ye love one another, as I have loved you."  Doesn't that feel like a breath of fresh air after the preceding paragraph?

@ProphetShiloh, I assume you will read this at some point. I believe you are sincere. I absolutely believe your soul is good, though I cannot explain my reasoning at this time. I assume that you have been promised great power and dominion by someone or something who convincingly demonstrated their power and dominion to you. I also assume this someone or something gave you good reason to fear them and to fear the consequences of disobedience. Your soul can still distinguish between love and fear, and because of this you are not completely at peace.

I assume that few have been in the position you are, with so much promised to them so convincingly. Fewer still have made the decision to follow the soft voice of their own soul over the thundering voice of a Jehovah. You now have (and will always have) the option to choose love over fear, to choose peace and oneness over power and dominion. What profiteth it a man to gain a whole new world, if the price be that he go against his own soul? Can you walk away from being a Somebody when only one barely audible voice – the soft voice of your own soul - is gently inviting you in a different direction? This might be as big of a Showdown as a Telestial World can script.

Shiloh, I cannot tell you whether that promise of power and dominion is true in whatever sense.  Your soul already tells you whether the path of light and love goes there.

If and when you choose to let go of the promise of power and dominion over a new world in order to follow that still, small voice of light and love, you will be passing a massive test that few ever even face, let alone pass. You would not be given this test if you were not up to it.

As a great Telestial World singer/poet was once inspired to write, “Yes there are two paths you can go by, but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on.”

In my opinion.

Edited by Olmec Donald
3 hours ago, Olmec Donald said:

the soft voice of your own soul -

A suggestion:  The soft voice of the true Eloheim, which is God and his family, which includes us.  We are not alone, we are surrounded by love. 

Even in mortality…Parents and siblings, grandparents, kids, if they are functional relationships and there have been connections, they don’t let their connections go.  And extended family too unless our lives get crowded and we pull ourselves back some to conserve energy.

I figure we managed to be a very functional family before some of us went on a field trip or why would we have been trusting enough to take the journey.  Now think how much time and resources eternal, perfect beings have to spare to keep track of family, especially the toddlers in the playground. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

A suggestion:  The soft voice of the true Eloheim, which is God and his family, which includes us. 

"The soft voice of the true Eloheim."  Thank you.  That is beautiful.  "Eloheim" is a plural word, isn't it?  How far does that plurality go?

Here is a song about the soft eyes of mercy.  Methinks angels do minister to the inhabitants of the Telestial World:

1 hour ago, Calm said:

We are not alone, we are surrounded by love.

Oh yes.  Once we remove the barriers WE have placed which obscure our awareness of love's presence, it is as if the world has been changed.

Edited by Olmec Donald

Thank you for this.  Much of it is both poetic and insightful.

The starting point for discerning the meaning of any statement is understanding to whom the statement was directed.  Jesus was consistent in His message of love to general audiences and in individual conversations with the meek and poor in spirit.

When speaking to those who were haughty and entrenched in their self-righteousness, especially those professing spiritual power and authority, He was clear that He wouldn’t validate their hypocrisy and that changes were required.  And I imagine those words did indeed engender fear in those to whom they were directed, fear sufficient for them to seek His death.

We might use the term tough love to describe His words to them, but in my opinion it was pure, and perfect, love.  Not designed to harm, but to heal.

7 hours ago, Olmec Donald said:

The Telestial World – aka planet earth – is a world characterized by the Showdown between good and evil, right and wrong, light and darkness. The inhabitants of the Telestial World have enormous opportunity for advancement by using their free will, but there are many competing voices and making the right choice is not easy.

Our souls can tell the difference between light and darkness, that's part of the game, but the soul's soft voice is often drowned out by the much louder voices clamoring within our minds, let alone all the voices coming from outside. We do not intend for our minds to work against our souls, but dangit that's what often happens.

It's like clouds are obscuring the light, but these cloud are either generated or permitted entry by the mind, therefore the mind is also the key to dissipating them. Wouldn't it be nice if our minds worked “for us” rather than “against us”? So instead of taking on each mistake our minds make one at a time, let me suggest a “lens” we can look through which makes it easier to brush past the clouds and perceive the light.

A learning experience in accord with II Neplhi 4.  That's what this life is all about.

7 hours ago, Olmec Donald said:

Perfect love casts out all fear.

So the common thread is love.  Let me home in on that last idea: Love and fear cannot co-exist, or at least not “perfect love” and fear.

Yoda (George Lucas) says that "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

4 hours ago, Calm said:

For me, I am efficient, fear goes straight to suffering, no middle men needed,  

There are quite a few profound observations about fear out there.  Thinking we humans are too familiar with it.  I like the Dune version because of the sense of ritual, it is strengthening, comforting, putting on armor.

But they are incomplete for me if they don’t speak of replacing fear with love.  Where is the next verse?

CB, I am kind of in love with Springsteen’s version tonight.

I am dealing with quite a few struggles with fear right now.  Think it is the worse I have ever had about my health as I can’t see how I can live if there isn’t some treatment that can at least dial down the nausea. Last time I felt this way was feeling there was no way I could feel Mom’s needs, but after that anxiety attack past I knew family would takeover, there were options.  I need options to avoid the fear trap.

I can deal if I can focus my brain, but nausea is distracting.  Marijuana worked great for six months, but now makes me sicker, backfiring like most drugs do.  The spins are more common, though quite short. And now the nausea is back bad again and I am trying to focus on the hope of Zofran, that it will be enough because while better when it works then others, it only gives a few decent hours a day with the rest hanging on the cliff....enough to survive, but hints of building tolerance quickly already.  And the other nausea drugs all have RLS aggravation as they are antihistamines, and I can’t up my opiate without side effects kicking in.  Thus the stuff they are telling sufferers to give them hope just gives me a different version of hell.

So probably down to one most easy, safe useful option…Never took a diuretic before, so unknown territory…which has too often meant bad things to be strongly hopeful.  It is supposed to lessen pressure in inner ear.  But I start going off on how it can throw my other aids off. After that, corticosteroids injected into the ear… which drug have done zip in my feet and back in the past for pain, but who knows.  Then last resorts.. there is a process that has a 30% of making me deaf.  And surgery to kill the nerve or something, I tend to stop research when I hit deafness, so just get glimpses of the rest.

Fear is definitely the mind killer, little cowering, rather cute mouse sitting in my skull instead of a brain.  If you find my brain, send up a flare.

So yeah, fear.  Too many what ifs.  I don’t like it at all.

Working on this for my litany right now, short and to the point.  Not too much thought for little mouse to handle even if its arms aren’t made for casting.

You write so eloquently, even about your pain. I admire your bravery in the face of your struggles. I pray that you find some relief. 

I was just reading Moroni 7 this morning, and was impressed with the relationship between faith, hope and charity, and the light of Christ. I typically thought of faith lending to hope, and hope leading to charity, but this chapter sets forth that the light of Christ is given to us all, and this light is manifest as charity (the pure love of Christ draws us to choose all good things), which gives us hope, which gives us faith which leads to repentance (obedience) and grace (power).

Now I suppose there isn't a strict succession or order of development, but rather a similar dynamic as that between belief, faith and knowledge (Alma 32). A desire to believe leads to faith, which leads to knowledge, which is the substrate for further desire to believe, faith, experimentation and so on. This is why I often conceptualize faith and knowledge as the same thing (e.g. faith is foreknowledge and knowledge is faith in the results), but we need to break it down in this telestial world to learn it. Thank goodness for prophets! :)

Everyone can live the beatitudes that Christ taught on the Sermon on the Mount; the light of Christ enables that. That is the best the telestial kingdom can offer, which isn't bad. The terrestrial kingdom (let's say that is the kingdom of God on earth) offers a bit more.

Edited by CV75
4 hours ago, Calm said:

For me, I am efficient, fear goes straight to suffering, no middle men needed,  

There are quite a few profound observations about fear out there.  Thinking we humans are too familiar with it.  I like the Dune version because of the sense of ritual, it is strengthening, comforting, putting on armor.

But they are incomplete for me if they don’t speak of replacing fear with love.  Where is the next verse?

CB, I am kind of in love with Springsteen’s version tonight.

I am dealing with quite a few struggles with fear right now.  Think it is the worse I have ever had about my health as I can’t see how I can live if there isn’t some treatment that can at least dial down the nausea. Last time I felt this way was feeling there was no way I could feel Mom’s needs, but after that anxiety attack past I knew family would takeover, there were options.  I need options to avoid the fear trap.

I can deal if I can focus my brain, but nausea is distracting.  Marijuana worked great for six months, but now makes me sicker, backfiring like most drugs do.  The spins are more common, though quite short. And now the nausea is back bad again and I am trying to focus on the hope of Zofran, that it will be enough because while better when it works then others, it only gives a few decent hours a day with the rest hanging on the cliff....enough to survive, but hints of building tolerance quickly already.  And the other nausea drugs all have RLS aggravation as they are antihistamines, and I can’t up my opiate without side effects kicking in.  Thus the stuff they are telling sufferers to give them hope just gives me a different version of hell.

So probably down to one most easy, safe useful option…Never took a diuretic before, so unknown territory…which has too often meant bad things to be strongly hopeful.  It is supposed to lessen pressure in inner ear.  But I start going off on how it can throw my other aids off. After that, corticosteroids injected into the ear… which drug have done zip in my feet and back in the past for pain, but who knows.  Then last resorts.. there is a process that has a 30% of making me deaf.  And surgery to kill the nerve or something, I tend to stop research when I hit deafness, so just get glimpses of the rest.

Fear is definitely the mind killer, little cowering, rather cute mouse sitting in my skull instead of a brain.  If you find my brain, send up a flare.

So yeah, fear.  Too many what ifs.  I don’t like it at all.

Working on this for my litany right now, short and to the point.  Not too much thought for little mouse to handle even if its arms aren’t made for casting.

I just said a prayer for you. I am sure I am joining many others in sharing our concern and hopes for you.

On 11/19/2021 at 1:56 AM, Robert F. Smith said:

A learning experience in accord with II Neplhi 4.  That's what this life is all about.

Yoda (George Lucas) says that "Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering."

... and death.

Another evolution theme.  The Way of Death.