Seriously No Politics ×

"Other announcements" Pres. Nelson

8 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Thanks ALarsen, I was referring to the revelations that quickly answered questions about the church or restoration in the D&C that Joseph received. And wouldn't it be nice if the current prophet used the seerstone to get unanswered questions that many apologists are trying to figure out answers for, such as the location of the BoM lands, and the BoA being literal or through revelation.

I agree.  But, I don't see them committing to putting any of that in writing.  The leaders seem more and more leery of doing that and I do understand why when we look at the history of Prophets getting things wrong and then that mistake repeatedly being pointed out for years.

Edited by ALarson
1 hour ago, rockpond said:

Yeah... it is crazy to think current prophets might add to the Doctrine and Covenants like past prophets did!

I'm not entirely sure you're being serious here or not, but I think that it is indeed generally a crazy idea.  As I understand it, the RLDS used to regularly add to the D&C, and see what good it did them. The last addition was in 1952, and it wasn't exactly a revelation, just a direction on who should succeed then-president Israel Smith in the event of his death.  It's all online now: RLDS D&C.

Having not previously given this much if any thought before, I find myself in agreement with the idea that there's not much need to add to the D&C. It's not like the Lord couldn't direct otherwise, but it does seem like we have "sufficient for our needs" there already.  Most if not all of the foundation is there already.  Anything else would tend to be just commentary on the details, and probably unnecessary.

Honestly, I think we have our work cut out for us just gaining a deep enough understanding of, say, Sections 19, 76 or 121.  My favorite sections, by the way.

15 hours ago, rockpond said:

I understand you.  It’s just that your definition is useless. 

Useless as a shortcut for finding out when a man is speaking as a prophet of God, maybe.  A prophet, by definition, is simply a man who speaks for God, so a man should not be called a prophet unless he is actually speaking for God.

That doesn't tell you WHEN is man is speaking as a prophet of God, though.  To call a man a prophet is simply to say that he is one, but even that doesn't mean he really is one.  Some people call a man a prophet even when he is not acting like one.

13 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I'm not entirely sure you're being serious here or not, but I think that it is indeed generally a crazy idea.  As I understand it, the RLDS used to regularly add to the D&C, and see what good it did them. The last addition was in 1952, and it wasn't exactly a revelation, just a direction on who should succeed then-president Israel Smith in the event of his death.  It's all online now: RLDS D&C.

Having not previously given this much if any thought before, I find myself in agreement with the idea that there's not much need to add to the D&C. It's not like the Lord couldn't direct otherwise, but it does seem like we have "sufficient for our needs" there already.  Most if not all of the foundation is there already.  Anything else would tend to be just commentary on the details, and probably unnecessary.

Honestly, I think we have our work cut out for us just gaining a deep enough understanding of, say, Sections 19, 76 or 121.  My favorite sections, by the way.

Actually, the Community of Christ prophets have continued to add sections to their Doctrine and Covenants.  I believe that Section 165 is the most recent and is from 2013.

While I agree with you that we have plenty to keep working on, I like that they are still adding sections.

From 2 Nephi 29

9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.

Of course, we do have general conference reports which I rely on and study.  So I think it's fair to argue that conference addresses have taken the place of adding sections to the D&C, though they are not canonized or put forward for common consent.

1 minute ago, rockpond said:

Actually, the Community of Christ prophets have continued to add sections to their Doctrine and Covenants.  I believe that Section 165 is the most recent and is from 2013.

While I agree with you that we have plenty to keep working on, I like that they are still adding sections.

From 2 Nephi 29

9 And I do this that I may prove unto many that I am the same yesterday, today, and forever; and that I speak forth my words according to mine own pleasure. And because that I have spoken one word ye need not suppose that I cannot speak another; for my work is not yet finished; neither shall it be until the end of man, neither from that time henceforth and forever.

10 Wherefore, because that ye have a Bible ye need not suppose that it contains all my words; neither need ye suppose that I have not caused more to be written.

11 For I command all men, both in the east and in the west, and in the north, and in the south, and in the islands of the sea, that they shall write the words which I speak unto them; for out of the books which shall be written I will judge the world, every man according to their works, according to that which is written.

Of course, we do have general conference reports which I rely on and study.  So I think it's fair to argue that conference addresses have taken the place of adding sections to the D&C, though they are not canonized or put forward for common consent.

Besides. It seems silly God would give revelation (new scripture) to every prophet and then just essentially stop after Joseph again. 

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Thanks ALarsen, I was referring to the revelations that quickly answered questions about the church or restoration in the D&C that Joseph received. And wouldn't it be nice if the current prophet used the seerstone to get unanswered questions that many apologists are trying to figure out answers for, such as the location of the BoM lands, and the BoA being literal or through revelation.

A seer stone to find Zarahemla? Seeking signs? Why would he want to do that? That would make it more like a palantir. It would have to be destroyed on Y Mount.

Edited by Bernard Gui
2 hours ago, rockpond said:

What is the one that I linked to then?  Some breakaway?  Hmmmm.....

Had a look at the CoC website and their D&C isn't online there as far as I can see.  I did find something interesting, which is "Latter-day Seekers", a page for those of LDS background, in which is this gem:

"Latter-day Seekers introduces Community of Christ to
those with an LDS background. We seek dialogue with 
all people. Community of Christ does not proselytize. 
For those happy in their faith, we are happy for you."

The part in bold is an interesting take on the Great Commission.

Oh, well, it would be a derail to take this any further, so...

10 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

What is the one that I linked to then?  Some breakaway?  Hmmmm.....

Had a look at the CoC website and their D&C isn't online there as far as I can see.  I did find something interesting, which is "Latter-day Seekers", a page for those of LDS background, in which is this gem:

"Latter-day Seekers introduces Community of Christ to
those with an LDS background. We seek dialogue with 
all people. Community of Christ does not proselytize. 
For those happy in their faith, we are happy for you."

The part in bold is an interesting take on the Great Commission.

Oh, well, it would be a derail to take this any further, so...

Since the Latter-day Seekers website is an invitation to consider joining the C of C (what I would consider proselyting), I suspect that they are using a very limited definition of that word.

3 minutes ago, rockpond said:

Since the Latter-day Seekers website is an invitation to consider joining the C of C (what I would consider proselyting), I suspect that they are using a very limited definition of that word.

Yes, very limited.  It's kind of like the sign in front of LDS meetinghouses: "Visitors Welcome".

On 9/3/2019 at 11:13 PM, Hamba Tuhan said:

So it's in the embedded video? Great! Thanks for checking that. I thought I'd try during lunch, but lunch has so far evaded me today.

ETA my attempt at a partial transcription:

RMN: 'They talk about things going viral. Membership in the Church will go viral here in Brazil. I believe it's because the Lord has reserved these special spirits for this time, when the world is being prepared for the Lord's Second Coming. These are exceptional young people. They're bright, clever, innovative, and they'll make things happen'.

RMN: 'I'm not only pleased, but I'm amazed, because we don't have to tell them what to do. The Lord tells them what to do, and they're learning to listen. They're learning how to receive revelation and act on it. It's really marvelous'.

QLC: 'The young people are responding in an incredible way to what's happening, and their lives are being improved and being blessed. So in every direction, but in the home, it is really getting to be strong and powerful'.

RMN: 'We'll announce some more temples in October conference. There are some areas of the world that are really quite remote, such as Guam and Cape Verde. Those temples don't need to be large and ostentatious, but the people need the covenants, the ordinances, so we'll scale down the temples to fit the needs wherever we go'.

RMN: 'We have a lot to do before the Lord will come again. He wants Israel to be gathered and the world to be made ready for the Second Coming of the Lord. So all I know is that there's a lot of work to be done, and we're going to do it'.

That would be quite a prediction, for missionary work to go viral in Brazil.  According to  http://ldschurchgrowth.blogspot.com/2019/04/additional-membership-growth-analysis.html, growth in Brazil last year was 0.78% - the slowest year ever (since prior to 1940).

Y’know what we haven’t discussed yet that was probably the most significant statement...

Didn’t President Nelson say (or imply) that we were going to bring temples to more remote areas?  Are we going to return to the small temple concept?

That’s what it sounded like to me. 

Y’know what we haven’t discussed yet that was probably the most significant statement...

Didn’t President Nelson say (or imply) that we were going to bring temples to more remote areas?  Are we going to return to the small temple concept?

I think they are moving in that direction with the announcement of the Cabo Verde Temple, let's be honest who has heard of that place?! I think they'll build smaller, like President Hinckley did 20 years ago but with different designs

53 minutes ago, Duncan said:

I think they are moving in that direction with the announcement of the Cabo Verde Temple, let's be honest who has heard of that place?! I think they'll build smaller, like President Hinckley did 20 years ago but with different designs

You’ve never heard of the Cape Verde Islands? 🧐

3 minutes ago, Burnside said:

You’ve never heard of the Cape Verde Islands? 🧐

I hadn't, which surprised me, since I thought I knew of most of these island nations.  Just looked it up, and the place has half a million people!  Nice flag, too.  They speak Portuguese there.

1920px-Flag_of_Cape_Verde.svg.png

21 hours ago, SettingDogStar said:

Besides. It seems silly God would give revelation (new scripture) to every prophet and then just essentially stop after Joseph again. 

God didn’t stop. He has given revelation to every prophet since Joseph. 

But if it’s canonized scripture you’re referring to, there is canonized revelation in the scriptures that came through Brigham Young, Wilford Woodruff, Joseph F. Smith and Spencer W. Kimball. 

Edited by Scott Lloyd
11 hours ago, Duncan said:

If it's as dire in needing the work to be done as some have said on here, why not just make churches temples, why build these elaborate temples? To me it's for the members to feel special, not for the Lord, because he was about taking care of the poor and needy, the 4th mission statement of the church. 

2 hours ago, Tacenda said:

If it's as dire in needing the work to be done as some have said on here, why not just make churches temples, why build these elaborate temples? To me it's for the members to feel special, not for the Lord, because he was about taking care of the poor and needy, the 4th mission statement of the church. 

they could move in that direction! Our Stake, every 2 weeks has a Bishop's storehouse and people can make out orders and get food and all that stuff! Every year our Stake does a food drive and we partner up with the Muslim community and apparently next year other faith groups want to help out as well. I've noticed that other Canadian Stakes do it as well

3 hours ago, Duncan said:

they could move in that direction! Our Stake, every 2 weeks has a Bishop's storehouse and people can make out orders and get food and all that stuff! Every year our Stake does a food drive and we partner up with the Muslim community and apparently next year other faith groups want to help out as well. I've noticed that other Canadian Stakes do it as well

Here in Utah anyone can volunteer at the Bishop’s Storehouse, husband does it every week. 

Lots of other humanitarian projects going on in my ward and stake. 

56 minutes ago, Calm said:

Here in Utah anyone can volunteer at the Bishop’s Storehouse, husband does it every week. 

Lots of other humanitarian projects going on in my ward and stake. 

No storehouse here (anymore) but our stake supports the local Catholic Charities soup kitchen by covering several shifts for one day each week.  It’s a great program!