Bernard Gui Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 (edited) Today I got one of those frequent “You’ve received a name for the temple!”....a man named Joe Hinson from Hickman (now Lewis) County, Tennessee. It presents a somewhat interesting scenario. One of Joe’s ancestors, David Hinson, was the leader of a hooded mob in Cane Creek, Tennessee, that burned Mormon homes and a chapel in the área in 1884. They shot and killed two Utah Mormon missionaries and two local Mormon boys, and severely wounded the boys’ mother during a Sunday meeting in the family‘s home. In the gunfight, one of the Mormon boys shot and killed David Hinson. Other Hinsons were members of the mob. They drove all the Mormons out of Cane Creek and burned their buildings. My great-grandfather (who had been branch president), his two brothers, and their families were among those driven out. They ended up in Mormon colonies in Colorado. To this day there has never been another Mormon branch established in Lewis County. Apparently over the years there has been some intermarriage between the warring factions, so here I am with an invitation to do temple work for a man whose immediate ancestors put some extreme hurt on my immediate ancestors. An odd world in which we live. This is a little-known but fascinating LDS history event....several books have been written about it. It involves false accusations of missionaries kidnapping girls and sending them back to Utah to become sex slaves, a fake news SL Tribune story about a Bishop West’s inflammatory “Red Hot Address” that was intended to fan the flames, missionaries hiding in the hills and desperately fleeing the area to avoid assassination, an elder in disguise trying to infiltrate the area alone to learn more details of the murders, the mob ripping open stranger’s coats and shirts to see if they were wearing temple garments, and mission president BH Roberts dressing up like a hobo driving a mule cart to sneak into the area and retrieve the missionaries’ bodies to send them home to Utah. It would make a fabulous movie. https://sites.google.com/site/tnmormonhistory/events/1884/cane-creek-massacre Comments? Edited August 2, 2018 by Bernard Gui 3
ttribe Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 I served part of my mission in Columbia (nearby) and attended a Zone Leader's conference near a marker for this event. It was very interesting, as I recall. 1
Popular Post Robert F. Smith Posted July 30, 2018 Popular Post Posted July 30, 2018 One of my distant relatives, the Rev. John Andrew Livingston Smith, was sent with his family to Utah as a Presbyterian missionary in about 1888. He spent a grueling 15 years in Utah, where several of his young children died. He worked hard to save Mormons from themselves, including helping to establish Westminster College. Then he went back to Pennsylvania, and to a much easier life. As you may know, the Mormons saved Westminster College from financial failure. Later I did all the work for him and his family at Provo Temple. Life is filled with ironies. 6
Duncan Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 5 hours ago, Bernard Gui said: Today I got one of those frequent “You’ve received a name for the temple!”....a man named Joe Hinson from Hickman (now Lewis) County, Tennessee. It presents a some what interesting scenario. One of Joe’s ancestors, David Hinson, was the leader of a hooded mob in Cane Creek, Tennessee, that burned Mormon homes and a chapel in the área in 1884. They shot and killed two Utah Mormon missionaries and two local Mormon boys, and severely wounded the boys’ mother during a Sunday meeting in the family‘s home. In the gunfight, one of the Mormon boys shot and killed David Hinson. Other Hinsons were members of the mob. They drove all the Mormons out of Cane Creek and burned their buildings. My great-grandfather (who had been branch president), his two brothers, and their families were among those driven out. They ended up in Mormon colonies in Colorado. To this day there has never been another Mormon branch established in Lewis County. Apparently over the years there has been some intermarriage between the warring factions, so here I am with an invitation to do temple work for a man whose immediate ancestors put some extreme hurt on my immediate ancestors. An odd world in which we live. This is a little-known but fascinating LDS history event....several books have been written about it. It involves false accusations of missionaries kidnapping girls and sending them back to Utah to become sex slaves, a fake news SL Tribune story about a Bishop West’s inflammatory “Red Hot Address” that was intended to fan the flames, missionaries hiding in the hills and desperately fleeing the area to avoid assassination, an elder in disguise trying to infiltrate the area alone to learn more details of the murders, the mob ripping open stranger’s coats and shirts to see if they were wearing temple garments, and mission president BH Roberts dressing up like a hobo driving a mule cart to sneak into the area and retrieve the missionaries’ bodies to send them home to Utah. It would make a fabulous movie. https://sites.google.com/site/tnmormonhistory/events/1884/cane-creek-massacre Comments? I know, not personally, one of the elders that escaped out the back door was asked to serve a mission in the mid to late 1890's and was told he could go anywhere he wanted and he chose England. 2
Bernard Gui Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 3 hours ago, Duncan said: I know, not personally, one of the elders that escaped out the back door was asked to serve a mission in the mid to late 1890's and was told he could go anywhere he wanted and he chose England. Henry B. Thompson? How do you know of him?
Bernard Gui Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 6 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: One of my distant relatives, the Rev. John Andrew Livingston Smith, was sent with his family to Utah as a Presbyterian missionary in about 1888. He spent a grueling 15 years in Utah, where several of his young children died. He worked hard to save Mormons from themselves, including helping to establish Westminster College. Then he went back to Pennsylvania, and to a much easier life. As you may know, the Mormons saved Westminster College from financial failure. Later I did all the work for him and his family at Provo Temple. Life is filled with ironies. Yes, it is. Your family apparently got the scholar gene.
Bernard Gui Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 (edited) 9 hours ago, ttribe said: I served part of my mission in Columbia (nearby) and attended a Zone Leader's conference near a marker for this event. It was very interesting, as I recall. How were you received there? Were you in Hohenwald? Two years ago Sister Gui and I drove through the area to see where it all happened. It’s really in the boondocks. None of the old buildings were there including Grampa DePriest’s general store. There were a couple of large farms, but no evidence a fairly sizable community had been there. We checked out all the small family cemeteries and saw some names we recognized like DePriest, Sisco, Hicks,Talley, Hinson. We did find the old DePriest road that runs along Cane Creek (there was a road sign). It’s a beautiful place. Edited July 30, 2018 by Bernard Gui
Jeanne Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 Wow...as a history buff I would love to have info like this...(or not)??? but..you are so lucky to learn things like this. 1
Duncan Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 Just now, Bernard Gui said: Henry B. Thompson? How do you know of him? I think that is the name yes! I was identifying individuals on a photo for the British Mission in the late 1890's and there was a notation about him saying he was involved in the Cane Creek Massacre and was asked to go again and picked the British Mission 2
katherine the great Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 10 hours ago, Bernard Gui said: Apparently over the years there has been some intermarriage between the warring factions, so here I am with an invitation to do temple work for a man whose immediate ancestors put some extreme hurt on my immediate ancestors. So are you related to this man by blood or is he a shirt-tail cousin? How do you feel about doing the temple work for him? I have an ancestor (direct ancestor) who was so horrible that I have no intention of facilitating his temple work but I think that probably says more about me than it does about him.
Bernard Gui Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 (edited) 1 hour ago, katherine the great said: So are you related to this man by blood or is he a shirt-tail cousin? How do you feel about doing the temple work for him? I have an ancestor (direct ancestor) who was so horrible that I have no intention of facilitating his temple work but I think that probably says more about me than it does about him. He's one of those sideways relatives. He was contemporary with my deceased mother and connects with her family through a marriage with a woman in my great-grandmother's Talley family line. I don't have a problem doing his temple work. He had nothing to do with what happened at Cane Creek. It's just an interesting thing that happened to me. I can understand your concern, but don't you think the Lord will work it all out? It's like all those folks who get heartburn when infamous historical characters receive the temple ordinances. People gravely misunderstand that. It doesn't endorse their sins or make them into Mormons. Hopefully it provides some redemption for them and compensation based on the justice and mercy of God. Perhaps the time will come when even the worst of the bad people will face their victims and beg for and receive forgiveness. I have my list of folks I need to make amends with either in this life or the next (not that I am in the same category of awfulness)....thanks to what I have learned about repentance in my participation in the Addiction Recovery Program. Edited July 30, 2018 by Bernard Gui
katherine the great Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 21 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said: I can understand your concern, but don't you think the Lord will work it all out? Absolutely! I think we are all God's children--even the naughty ones. I have no idea how my ancestor was treated as a child or what genetic predisposition he may have had that caused him to be a rapist and a murderer. I just choose to ignore the fact that he is ready to have his temple work done. I don't mind making him wait a bit longer...
ttribe Posted July 30, 2018 Posted July 30, 2018 6 hours ago, Bernard Gui said: How were you received there? Were you in Hohenwald? Two years ago Sister Gui and I drove through the area to see where it all happened. It’s really in the boondocks. None of the old buildings were there including Grampa DePriest’s general store. There were a couple of large farms, but no evidence a fairly sizable community had been there. We checked out all the small family cemeteries and saw some names we recognized like DePriest, Sisco, Hicks,Talley, Hinson. We did find the old DePriest road that runs along Cane Creek (there was a road sign). It’s a beautiful place. I served in TN and KY from '91-'93 and I'd say our reception out there was a mixed bag. As you can imagine, in the larger more sophisticated areas there was little opposition, but less interest, too. In smaller towns, we found more genuine interest but some staunch opposition. For example, I served in Dayton, TN, home of the Scopes Monkey Trial, and after a couple of months of hard work, the local "Christian" college took out a full page ad in the local newspaper denouncing us. I got screamed at on some doorsteps from time to time, but it wasn't too bad. 1
Bernard Gui Posted July 30, 2018 Author Posted July 30, 2018 (edited) 6 hours ago, ttribe said: I served in TN and KY from '91-'93 and I'd say our reception out there was a mixed bag. As you can imagine, in the larger more sophisticated areas there was little opposition, but less interest, too. In smaller towns, we found more genuine interest but some staunch opposition. For example, I served in Dayton, TN, home of the Scopes Monkey Trial, and after a couple of months of hard work, the local "Christian" college took out a full page ad in the local newspaper denouncing us. I got screamed at on some doorsteps from time to time, but it wasn't too bad. Thanks! My son Celliproissimo lives in Richmond KY. WE were going to take a drive over to Cane Creek TN to see the site of our ancestors’ homes and the massacre. I suggested we stop at a Circle K and get a road map to find the place. He said they don’t have maps. I said you’re kidding. He said you have the wrong accent. I didn’t believe him, so when we went into the store I asked the clerk for a Tennessee road map, in my best Pacific Northwest accent. She said we don’t have any maps. I said that’s too bad, I was hoping to find my great-grandfather’s home in Cane Creek. Oh honey, you have kin in Cane Creek? Just a minute. She went and got a map, opened it, found Cane Creek, circled it in pencil, told us the best way to get there, and said y’all have a safe trip now. I hope you find it. True story. I went to a great rib place in Richmond KY with my son and his family. Seated at a big table were a bunch of faculty and coaches from EKU. They were telling some really good Bill and Hillary Clinton jokes and everyone was laughing out loud. I told my son you would never ever see or hear anything like that in Seattle. If you tried that there would be people screaming at you to get out. I love the South and the people. Real people. Edited July 31, 2018 by Bernard Gui 2
ttribe Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 59 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said: Thanks! My son Celliproissimo lives in Richmond KY. WE were going to take a drive over to Cane Creek TN to see the site of our ancestors’ homes and the massacre. I suggested we stop at a Circle K and get a road map to find the place. He said they don’t have maps. I said you’re kidding. He said you have wrong accent. I didn’t believe him, so when we went into the store I asked the clerk for a Tennessee road map, in my best Pacific Northwest accent. She said we don’t have any maps. I said that’s too bad, I was hoping to find my great-grandfather’s home in Cane Creek. Oh honey, you have kin in Cane Creek? Just a minute. She went and got a map, opened it, found Cane Creek, circled it in pencil, told us the best way to get there, and said y’all have a safe trip now. I hope you find it. True story. I went to a great rib place in Richmond KY with my son and his family. Seated at a big table were a bunch of faculty and coaches from EKU. They were telling some really good Bill and Hillary Clinton jokes and everyone was laughing out loud. I told my son you would never ever see or hear anything like that in Seattle. If you tried that there would be people screaming at you to get out. I love the South and the people. Real people. I loved the people out there. I had the chance, last summer, to drive through some of my old areas. It was a strange sensation to visit these places almost 25 years after I was last there. Some of those places were almost unrecognizable to me; others were very much the same. 1
RevTestament Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 On 7/30/2018 at 12:05 AM, Bernard Gui said: Today I got one of those frequent “You’ve received a name for the temple!”....a man named Joe Hinson from Hickman (now Lewis) County, Tennessee. It presents a somewhat interesting scenario. One of Joe’s ancestors, David Hinson, was the leader of a hooded mob in Cane Creek, Tennessee, that burned Mormon homes and a chapel in the área in 1884. They shot and killed two Utah Mormon missionaries and two local Mormon boys, and severely wounded the boys’ mother during a Sunday meeting in the family‘s home. In the gunfight, one of the Mormon boys shot and killed David Hinson. Other Hinsons were members of the mob. They drove all the Mormons out of Cane Creek and burned their buildings. My great-grandfather (who had been branch president), his two brothers, and their families were among those driven out. They ended up in Mormon colonies in Colorado. To this day there has never been another Mormon branch established in Lewis County. Apparently over the years there has been some intermarriage between the warring factions, so here I am with an invitation to do temple work for a man whose immediate ancestors put some extreme hurt on my immediate ancestors. An odd world in which we live. This is a little-known but fascinating LDS history event....several books have been written about it. It involves false accusations of missionaries kidnapping girls and sending them back to Utah to become sex slaves, a fake news SL Tribune story about a Bishop West’s inflammatory “Red Hot Address” that was intended to fan the flames, missionaries hiding in the hills and desperately fleeing the area to avoid assassination, an elder in disguise trying to infiltrate the area alone to learn more details of the murders, the mob ripping open stranger’s coats and shirts to see if they were wearing temple garments, and mission president BH Roberts dressing up like a hobo driving a mule cart to sneak into the area and retrieve the missionaries’ bodies to send them home to Utah. It would make a fabulous movie. https://sites.google.com/site/tnmormonhistory/events/1884/cane-creek-massacre Comments? I think that could make a good movie. I have nothing so tantalizing in my family history to make a Church movie... but I did just get one of those "You've received a name emails" 😜 and upon opening found a fellow on my grandmother's side I knew nothing about. Following the link allowed me to reserve his name for initiatories and endowment - all in about one minute. How awesome is that? I mean I'm spoiled. They are now doing my family history for me. With a tiny bit of effort, all my future temple visits could be for my own family. It really is just awesome. 1
Bernard Gui Posted July 31, 2018 Author Posted July 31, 2018 2 hours ago, RevTestament said: I think that could make a good movie. I have nothing so tantalizing in my family history to make a Church movie... but I did just get one of those "You've received a name emails" 😜 and upon opening found a fellow on my grandmother's side I knew nothing about. Following the link allowed me to reserve his name for initiatories and endowment - all in about one minute. How awesome is that? I mean I'm spoiled. They are now doing my family history for me. With a tiny bit of effort, all my future temple visits could be for my own family. It really is just awesome. Amen! Yes, it is. I’m thinking back to my 1965 BYU Genealogy class with the searching in government and church records, sending off for all kinds of certificates and papers, the huge binders of family trees, group sheets, and all. It was so daunting. Add to that my Polish ancestors’s récords behind the Iron Curtain! I despaired of ever getting anything done other than the 4 generation project. Today we can hold all of that in one hand!
Anijen Posted July 31, 2018 Posted July 31, 2018 On 7/30/2018 at 12:39 PM, katherine the great said: So are you related to this man by blood or is he a shirt-tail cousin? How do you feel about doing the temple work for him? I have an ancestor (direct ancestor) who was so horrible that I have no intention of facilitating his temple work but I think that probably says more about me than it does about him. What is the difference between an ancestor and a direct ancestor? If they are related to you, aren't they all direct?
strappinglad Posted August 1, 2018 Posted August 1, 2018 My son is my direct relative, my brothers adopted son is not. Same goes in reverse.
Calm Posted August 1, 2018 Posted August 1, 2018 2 hours ago, Anijen said: What is the difference between an ancestor and a direct ancestor? If they are related to you, aren't they all direct? I think people often use the term ancestor for any dead relative when it is really a descendant of a shared ancestor.
Duncan Posted August 1, 2018 Posted August 1, 2018 http://amateurmormonhistorian.blogspot.com/2008/07/cane-creek-massacre.html Here is a phenomenal blog, that I follow, from a fellow in TN, he has a ton of good information! 3
Anijen Posted August 1, 2018 Posted August 1, 2018 1 hour ago, Duncan said: http://amateurmormonhistorian.blogspot.com/2008/07/cane-creek-massacre.html Here is a phenomenal blog, that I follow, from a fellow in TN, he has a ton of good information! I've used his blog to get to a lot of sources, great site. 1
Duncan Posted August 1, 2018 Posted August 1, 2018 2 minutes ago, Anijen said: I've used his blog to get to a lot of sources, great site. he's a great guy!
katherine the great Posted August 2, 2018 Posted August 2, 2018 On 7/31/2018 at 5:25 PM, Anijen said: What is the difference between an ancestor and a direct ancestor? If they are related to you, aren't they all direct? Direct ancestors are those from whom we directly descend (grandparents, great grandparents, etc.) Ancestors in general can include great uncles, aunts, etc. At least that seems to be the common usage of the terms. 1
mfbukowski Posted August 2, 2018 Posted August 2, 2018 (edited) Incredible Temple Name Announcement Today I thought maybe they named a temple "Ralph". "The Ralph temple will be built in Big Nose Saskatchewan" Now THAT would be an incredible Temple Name announcement! Edited August 2, 2018 by mfbukowski 1
Recommended Posts