LDS Church gets beat on medical marijuana

Medical Marijuana ballot initiative passes

This should be interesting.  I wonder how firm the church is willing to get with medical marijuana?  For instance, if it passes in November, will they then specify what is allowable use for members?  I realize that this is old news in other states but I don't think that means the church is guaranteed to stay silent on it.

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This should be interesting.  I wonder how firm the church is willing to get with medical marijuana?  For instance, if it passes in November, will they then specify what is allowable use for members?  I realize that this is old news in other states but I don't think that means the church is guaranteed to stay silent on it.

Yeah I wonder how this will all go down. My Pops lives in Oregon and uses MM daily....and still has his temple recommend. I didn't as him if it is a don't ask don't tell kind of policy. 

I think it's July? in Canada that Marijuana becomes legal, although provinces have some form of veto power. So, here you can down a cold one at a work party but you can't have marijuana.  I know my Dr. has prescribed medical marijuana, so it's legal to some extent. The Church hasn't said tickety-boo about it here

26 minutes ago, bluebell said:

This should be interesting.  I wonder how firm the church is willing to get with medical marijuana?  

As a civil matter?  Not very.  I think the Church generally adhere's to Joseph Smith's aphorism: "I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.”

As far as matters of church governance, I would guess that the Church will give some fairly stringent guidelines as to legitimate, under-the-direct-supervision-of-a-licensed-physician use (we can't self-medicate with alcohol, so we can't medicate with MJ either).

For instance, if it passes in November, will they then specify what is allowable use for members?  I realize that this is old news in other states but I don't think that means the church is guaranteed to stay silent on it.

Recreational use will, I think, be as much of a no-go as recreational use is now.

MJ is readily available to anyone who is willing to spend five minutes looking for it.  I think legalization just puts MJ in the same category as alcohol and tobacco.

Thanks,

-Smac

Edited by smac97
12 minutes ago, carbon dioxide said:

Real medical pot would be given in real medical situations as prescribed by real medical personal.  I can't see why the Church would have a problem with prescription pot for a real medical issue while overlooking an opiod (that actually is more dangerous) for a real medical issue.  My problem with the pot issue in Utah is that it was presented as medical but not tight regulation on it like any other medical drug found at a pharmacy. 

My problem with it is that it seeks to essentially make all "marijuana" potentially legal - no matter the level of THC. I can only favor it if it limits cannabis sales to varieties under 1% THC excepting in case of terminal conditions. Since this could be essentially a whole plant product, seeking to force it into pharmaceuticals would make it much more expensive. It's already going to be expensive, and I don't see a need to make a relatively safe CBD product more expensive by forcing it into a pharmaceutical setting. What is your rationale for that? Is it concern over products with high THC?

18 minutes ago, smac97 said:

As a civil matter?  Not very.  I think the Church generally adhere's to Joseph Smith's aphorism: "I teach them correct principles, and they govern themselves.”

As far as matters of church governance, I would guess that the Church will give some fairly stringent guidelines as to legitimate, under-the-direct-supervision-of-a-licensed-physician use (we can't self-medicate with alcohol, so we can't medicate with MJ either).

Recreational use will, I think, be as much of a no-go as recreational use is now.

MJ is readily available to anyone who is willing to spend five minutes looking for it.  I think legalization just puts MJ in the same category as alcohol and tobacco.

Thanks,

-Smac

I hope it remains teach them and let them govern themselves.

What is clear is that Church IS NOT wholesale opposed to the use of cannibus. What the objection seems to is manner of ingesting said cannibus.

3 minutes ago, provoman said:

... What is clear is that Church IS NOT wholesale opposed to the use of cannibus. What the objection seems to is manner of ingesting said cannibus.

Cannibus?

image.jpeg.767d70c0544bb0938989e50df95e1686.jpeg

Is this it?

Passenger: "Hey, Driver, is it OK if I smoke a little weed on this bus?"

Driver: "Sure!  This is the cannibus!"

13 minutes ago, provoman said:

I hope it remains teach them and let them govern themselves.

What is clear is that Church IS NOT wholesale opposed to the use of cannibus. What the objection seems to is manner of ingesting said cannibus.

And also the administration of it.  The ballot initiative seems very loosey-goosey as to who gets to decide who gets to take Mary Jane out on a date.  

Thanks,

-Smac

1 hour ago, carbon dioxide said:

Real medical pot would be given in real medical situations as prescribed by real medical personal.  I can't see why the Church would have a problem with prescription pot for a real medical issue while overlooking an opiod (that actually is more dangerous) for a real medical issue.  My problem with the pot issue in Utah is that it was presented as medical but not tight regulation on it like any other medical drug found at a pharmacy. 

If MM was in a pill, I'm pretty sure it'd be ok. The church is about the looks of a person smoking a joint. All about the looks, I believe.

21 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

If MM was in a pill, I'm pretty sure it'd be ok. The church is about the looks of a person smoking a joint. All about the looks, I believe.

Oh, c'mon Tacenda. Medical hemp is not even smoked. Really, the only thing smoked is high THC varieties - that is really where it gets its marijuana name. According to the infallible Wikipedia its a Spanish Mexican name which got adopted by the United States. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marijuana_(word) . It was probably meant as a derisory name meant to invoke an image of pot smokers. I do think the Church wants to avoid approval of such use, as do I. Cannabis is an herb. Use of herbs is not prohibited by the Word of Wisdom, but rather to be used in wisdom for the benefit of man. Tobacco is not prohibited either if used as an herb. It is its smoking which is advised against, but its potential healing properties are expressly recognized. Medical science has supported the wisdom of the word of wisdom, and shown that smoking tobacco is harmful. Smoking marijuana is, I believe, likewise harmful. It produces dozens of carcinogens, much like smoking tobacco. Cannabis, if used with wisdom, I believe can be beneficial for man, if its low THC strains are utilized, and it isn't smoked. So, until medical science shows otherwise, I believe the Church should not stand in the way of use of CBD Cannabis strains. It doesn't seem to me the Church is. Just because the Church doesn't seem to care for this particular initiative doesn't mean you should take this pot shot (was my pun intended?) at the Church. It is unfair. I have an idea for you. Why don't you get on the phone and shape this into an initiative the Church will not oppose?  Find out what the Church's beef with it is, and see if there are changes which will cause it to drop its objections. Then contact these initiative people and get an initiative fashioned which will promote use of CBD Cannabis strains rather than the "anything goes" approach they are taking to medical use.

37 minutes ago, smac97 said:

Right.  That's why the Church authorizes its members to snort cocaine, as long as they do so in the privacy of their hown home.

Because it's "all about the looks."

Or not.  I think the Word of Wisdom is about the health and welfare of the members of the Church. [Emphasis added by Kenngo1969.]

-Smac

Yes, and as much as the Word of Wisdom is about the physical welfare of the members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, it is about their spiritual welfare even more.  The key to the entire Word of Wisdom is vv. 18-21 of Section 89 of the Doctrine & Covenants, which is more about spiritual welfare than it is about physical welfare (though the two often are intertwined). 

By the way, is it just a coincidence that some of the phrases used in vv. 18-21 parallel those used at a key point in the Temple Endowment? ;) :D  

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

I wonder if the church will ask regular members in Utah to participate in organizing efforts to get people to vote against the initiative, similar to prop 8.  I sure hope not.  

1 hour ago, hope_for_things said:

I wonder if the church will ask regular members in Utah to participate in organizing efforts to get people to vote against the initiative, similar to prop 8.  I sure hope not.  

Indeed.  Perish the thought that the LDS Church could presume to exercise constitutional rights that belong to all other individuals and groups in the U.S.  Who do those Mormons think they are, anyway?

Know you place, peasants!

-Smac

Edited by smac97
3 hours ago, hope_for_things said:

I think they will exert their influence somehow. However, I am sure they realize that too much parenting makes children rebel more. So, perhaps it will be behind the scenes more from here until the general election?

2 hours ago, smac97 said:

Indeed.  Perish the thought that the LDS Church could presume to exercise constitutional rights that belong to all other individuals and groups in the U.S.  Who do those Mormons think they are, anyway?

Know you place, peasants!

-Smac

Based on the prop 8 fallout and recent initiatives like the attempt to get legislation passed to change the law on recording conversations, I think the church has had some misfires politically and I think with the strong support I’ve seen in the polls for this initiative that the church would be wise not to spend too much effort on this one.  

17 minutes ago, Exiled said:

I think they will exert their influence somehow. However, I am sure they realize that too much parenting makes children rebel more. So, perhaps it will be behind the scenes more from here until the general election?

They’ve already issued some statement of caution, and I’m sure are working behind the scenes on this.  I just hope they don’t get as involved as in the past.  I think it would be unwise.  

Medically prescribed cannabis is not a violation of the Word of Wisdom.  My guess is that the Church is opposing this in Utah for other reasons (valid reasons, IMO).  I live in a state which has had legalized medical cannabis use for a number of years (and now legal recreational use as well).  The libertarian side of me supports legalization but the practical side of me is still opposed.

23 minutes ago, Marginal Gains said:

Is that what has happened in those states where medicinal marijuana is now legal?

I remember hearing or reading that the number of chronic pain cases increased in California after the use of medical marijuana was approved, but I can't find the article.

My remark about the church being about the looks is probably wrong, it has a good reason to be apprehensive. But I wish God hadn't made it so freaking hard for his children. Having these herbs that can be both so good and yet so bad. 

11 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Cannibus?

image.jpeg.767d70c0544bb0938989e50df95e1686.jpeg

Is this it?

Passenger: "Hey, Driver, is it OK if I smoke a little weed on this bus?"

Driver: "Sure!  This is the cannibus!"

This is twice now you've posted this bus. And I don't know if it's gotten enough attention, because it's pretty funny. 😁

Edited by Tacenda