President Russel M Nelson?

16 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

President Nelson can be described in many ways...

Incredibly well educated

World renown Doctor / Scientist

Healer

Educator 

Oldest President when taking office (I believe)

Humble servant

What am I missing? 

A little known bit of contemporary Church trivia is that the younger members of the Quorum of the Twelve have taken to affectionately referring to Elder Russell as “The Ancient of Days.” Cute.

Edited by Bobbieaware
17 minutes ago, Maureen said:

It doesn't appear he was a convert in the traditional way. His parents were members, sealed in the temple. They may have been inactive, but how does that make Russell M. Nelson a convert?

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/134716/DEATH--MARION-C-NELSON.html

M.

he joined when he was 16, his parents were sealed later on in life, IIRC. But he didn't join at age 8. But you're right he isn't a convert in the traditional sense of missionaries teaching them

27 minutes ago, Duncan said:

he joined when he was 16, his parents were sealed later on in life, IIRC. But he didn't join at age 8. But you're right he isn't a convert in the traditional sense of missionaries teaching them

I don't think it worked this way back when he was young, but these days if a child of record gets baptized after hitting 9 he or she is counted as a convert.  And usually get taught by the missionaries, if I understand this correctly.

1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

I don't think it worked this way back when he was young, but these days if a child of record gets baptized after hitting 9 he or she is counted as a convert.  And usually get taught by the missionaries, if I understand this correctly.

You are correct. Anyone aged 9 or over must be taught by the missionaries before being baptised. S/he will also be interviewed by the missionaries, not the bishop. And the mission office will create the membership record, not the ward clerk. In other words, they're converts.

Edited by Hamba Tuhan

Here just a few specifics related to your list:
He was awarded the Distinguished Alumni Award from the University of Utah, the Heart of Gold Award from the American Heart Association, a citation for International Service from the American Heart Association, and the Golden Plate Award from the American Academy of Achievement. He has also been awarded honorary professorships from three universities in the People’s Republic of China.
He has served as president of the Society for Vascular Surgery, a director of the American Board of Thoracic Surgery, chairman of the Council on Cardiovascular Surgery for the American Heart Association, and president of the Utah State Medical Association.  He is listed in Who’s Who in the World, Who’s Who in America, and Who’s Who in Religion.
He worked on a team that made medical history: After three challenging years, they developed the first machine that performed the functions of a patient’s heart and lungs during open-heart surgery.
He served a two-year term of medical duty in the U.S. Army during the Korean War. 
In 1972 he performed heart surgery on Elder Spencer W. Kimball. Following the surgery he received a personal witness that his patient would someday become President of the Church.

Edited by JAHS
3 hours ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

You are correct. Anyone aged 9 or over must be taught by the missionaries before being baptised. S/he will also be interviewed by the missionaries, not the bishop. And the mission office will create the membership record, not the ward clerk. In other words, they're converts.

It has been my experience that anyone who remains a member for very long into adulthood, has to become "converted". 

3 minutes ago, Bill "Papa" Lee said:

Did not know he was a convert. 

When his dad was a young kid and somebody decided to get the kids all baptized without prior warning, it rubbed the dad the wrong way and he jumped off the bus or never got on or something. He wasn't even ordained to the MP until the mid 1970's and later sealed to his wife, but yeah they spent decades inactive. IIRC Pres. Joseph Fielding Smith's son Douglas helped Russell along in the Church, but he wasn't baptized until he was 16

6 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Yeah. Hence why missionaries are always asking for part-member families lists. :)