Seriously No Politics ×

Gay Beehive Delivers Prepared Speech in F&T Meeting - Ends as Expected

1 minute ago, juliann said:

Which leaves us at the real topic. What does a church do when the very basis and purpose of their church is the joining of a man and a woman.

Two choices - change the doctrine or lose members/potential members who cannot accept the doctrine.
Really, what other choice is there?

And while the momentum isn't moving as fast as some would like to claim, I think we can all see where it is heading.
It seems we have many among us who would like to see the Church become a non-denominational all inclusive group dedicated only to praising Christ in every meeting.

14 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

I don't think that's fair. Many LGBT youth wish they weren't that way. Indeed dealing with it is what makes it so hard for many. But I bet that if there were a pill that would change things for them many would take it. (Many wouldn't of course -- but since there's no pill coming the question is moot)

Again I think you have to keep in mind that attraction is not the same as sinful action. That's just as true for LGBT as it is for heterosexual youth. The reality is that youth shouldn't be sexually active. The big problem is that for heterosexuals there's a clear path to having a meaningful, spiritual sexual life in the future. There appears to be no such clear path for gay youth. So it's understandable that they ask what God's plan for them is and it's tragic that we have no answer. 

Many people (not just gays) have major sinful inclinations in their lives too -- thorns in the flesh -- that they wish were taken away.   However, God does not take away all thorns in our lives, for whatever the individual reason may be.  We can't give a blanket response to a person's individual trials.   

14 minutes ago, cinepro said:

That's an excellent point.  When you share something on the internet in the hope that it goes viral, you kind of give up your claim to having been embarrassed by it.

More than just share it. Typically it's seen as incredibly inappropriate to film during sacrament. That the parents did this strongly suggests more planning to all this. I bet they would have shared it had the Stake President not intervened. While I don't think the Stake President handled it well, we also don't know the context for all this and whether leadership had been meeting with this family prior to this. My guess is that this wasn't spur of the moment and there's much more going on than we are privy to. Certainly I'd not have acted the way the Stake President did. I think it would have been better for the person presiding to simply have come up afterwards and clarified the doctrine in a way that was still positive for the young woman. 

Edited by clarkgoble
4 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

Many people (not just gays) have major sinful inclinations in their lives too -- thorns in the flesh -- that they wish were taken away.   However, God does not take away all thorns in our lives, for whatever the individual reason may be.  We can't give a blanket response to a person's individual trials.   

The difference is that typically there's a path that they can choose that is righteous. In this case there's not. That makes a big difference. Effectively they are being told that all the things that are emphasized so much in church such as eternal marriage, are cut off for them. It's completely understandable why many see that as devastating. What the Church asks is clear though. And some people manage to stay faithful. But I think the rest of us should appreciate just what is being asked and how it is different from most other trials.

Edited by clarkgoble
4 minutes ago, juliann said:

Explain the doctrine more thoroughly and convincingly without making it about gays. My concern is with anything that might remove woman from creation in any situation. It is a philosophical concern but one I don't see discussed. What is the natural consequence of eliminating the woman half of an eternal marriage? What does it say about women if men think another man can be substituted for a woman. Talking about eternity here.

Well, that's ok then.  In the context of this thread it would appear that it is the male half that is being removed from creation.  ;)

Another interesting tidbit.  Someone who was there says that after Savannah spoke, the conducting authority said that he would be choosing who would bear testimonies for the remainder of the time.  I wonder if the concern is that you would start having other ward members get up to express public support for Savannah, or maybe just more pre-planned stuff?

3 minutes ago, cinepro said:

Another interesting tidbit.  Someone who was there says that after Savannah spoke, the conducting authority said that he would be choosing who would bear testimonies for the remainder of the time.  I wonder if the concern is that you would start having other ward members get up to express public support for Savannah, or maybe just more pre-planned stuff?

I suspect he had a reasonable concern people would start weighing in on the conflict from both sides leading to conflict in the ward. It seems reasonable to fear that this was preplanned and there were outside agitators with an intention of filming everything. In any case worrying about things becoming worse seems a reasonable worry. Again, my sense is that there's more to the story than we've been told as well.

Edited by clarkgoble
6 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

The difference is that typically there's a path that they can choose that is righteous. In this case there's not. That makes a big difference.

Not really.   For example the burdens of pride, ego, anger, PTSD, other mental illnesses, abuse, etc.  These are all burdens that people have to bear, frequently for life.  

8 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Well, that's ok then.  In the context of this thread it would appear that it is the male half that is being removed from creation.  ;)

I think saying one of the genders is being removed seems a bit much. However clearly the need for eternal gender becomes problematized, if these people's views were accepted. The doctrine of pre-mortal gender seems deeply problematic as does the doctrine that to become like God requires a male and female pared together. It also clearly leads to the quite reasonable question of whether there is a mother in heaven at all. As I said I think people pushing a theology of gay marriage haven't thought through all the implications.

1 minute ago, Jane_Doe said:

Not really.   For example the burdens of pride, ego, anger, PTSD, other mental illnesses, abuse, etc.  These are all burdens that people have to bear, frequently for life.  

Yes, but there is a clear path of behavior for them even if they struggle to fulfill it. In this case there's no way to have a loving heterosexual marriage. Now of course this isn't just true for gays. There are people with zero sex drive and no sexual attraction for anyone. Those people have just as problematic of a time.

The problem is that if you say homosexuality is just like pride, anger etc. then what you're saying is that they should marry a member of the opposite sex despite the problems. Yet that almost always leads to horrible situations and is cruel to the person in the relationship who often isn't gay.

3 hours ago, Rain said:

This wasn't just a testimony.  The fact that it was videoed tells that it was more.  And how many people have you seen write down their testimonies before bearing them for F&T meeting? In 49 years I have seen it all of once or maybe twice, but I can only remember the one time. This is not just a testimony.  It is a set up. THAT is what is heartbreaking - why would someone put a child in this position? (unless a friend was the one who videoed it and not an adult). 

My daughter, while young, wrote hers down because she was nervous giving it. 

11 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

Yes, but there is a clear path of behavior for them even if they struggle to fulfill it. In this case there's no way to have a loving heterosexual marriage. Now of course this isn't just true for gays. There are people with zero sex drive and no sexual attraction for anyone. Those people have just as problematic of a time.

The problem is that if you say homosexuality is just like pride, anger etc. then what you're saying is that they should marry a member of the opposite sex despite the problems. Yet that almost always leads to horrible situations and is cruel to the person in the relationship who often isn't gay.

I did NOT say the bolded part.  Please do not put words in my mouth.  

No, a person who is gay should not automatically say "I'll marry an opposite sex person anyways".  No!  I'm not saying that by any stretch of the imagination!  

Edited by Jane_Doe

Just my two cents worth of opinion.

• Res Gestae or conduct showing a consciousness of guilt (things that raised a red flag for me)
  • The vocabulary, content, and context appears to be from an adult, not a young lady. When I first watched I thought she was younger than 12, but the subject matter was adult.
  • Writing it down, is uncommon and the few times I have seen reading of a testimony it was because the bearer had a language gap, or was deaf, or similar reason.
  • Having it recorded. This shows that it leans heavily on a an agenda and of deliberate intent and not spontaneous.
  • Recorded and published on YouTube. Shows that the testimony was not the original intent or motive of her testimony.

What would I have done:

I would have let her talk, finish her testimony and at the end of the Fast and testimony meeting I would thank everyone for bearing their testimonies and not mention hers or anyone else for that matter. I have heard too many rambling testimonies, lectures, travel-logs, and down right condemnations if they don't get stopped I am not stopping hers (even though I felt it was inappropriate for a testimony).

Edited by Anijen
3 hours ago, Jane_Doe said:

Here's my perspective on the "God made me this way" arguments-- 

I have a sister who was born with an absolutely nasty temper.  Growing up she would yell and hit and scream and do all sorts of horrible things.  She could say "God made this way, it's how I feel, so I'm going to keep hitting and that's something to celebrate", but I don't think anyone would agree with that statement.  Rather, we (including herself) have tried to teach her control of her emotions and the higher route.  It's been a life long battle, and nearing the age of 30 she still battles her temper regularly- this inclination for sin is part of who she is.  But she should keep trying to overcome this natural-man part of herself, and through doing so she's become a much better person.   Her story of conquering this (or at least trying) is something to be celebrated.

Likewise I could have written an identical paragraph about me and my own inclination to sin (I can be SO prideful).  I could have written it about my friend's tendency towards laziness.  I could have written it about another friend's battle with heterosexual lust and cheating.  And it is the same for anyone with homosexual inclination.  These sinful inclinations are part of us, often lifelong parts of us.  It is our fighting these inclinations and becoming better people (through and focused on Christ) that should be celebrate, not caving in to sin because "it's part of me".  

Does the church stop those with (anger, lazy or being prideful attributes) from joining the church if their married parents are also dealing with the same attributes?

Edited by Tacenda
23 minutes ago, cinepro said:

My concern would have been for that and for those anxious to call her a sinner (no matter how slyly,) like we see here. I think out of this whole mess, that was probably the only wise decision. 

10 minutes ago, Jane_Doe said:

I did NOT say the bolded part.  Please do not put words in my mouth.  

No, a person who is gay should not automatically say "I'll marry an opposite sex person anyways".  No!  I'm not saying that by any stretch of the imagination!  

Then you agree that it is not like those other things. I wasn't saying you were saying they should marry. I was saying that if you think there's no difference then marriage should be fine. i.e. to argue that you actually thought there was a difference.

After all having an anger issue you are working for doesn't preclude you from marriage. If you think they shouldn't be married that's a pretty huge difference.

Edited by clarkgoble
3 minutes ago, Danzo said:

This thread brings back fond memories of mission when a homeless man who referred to himself as "Zeus" and his friend "Michael the Archangel" used to crash Fast and Testimony Meeting. He would get up on the stand and explain that the plan was for god to eat his children.  I remember the Branch President getting into a shoving match with this man.  Us missionaries were assigned to forceably remove the man from the meeting.

Fun times.

This case mild in comparison.

Honestly this isn't even as bad all things considered as the guy in one ward who had what I'll euphemistically call autoerotic habit problems. For some reason he seemed to want to discuss this regularly in fast and testimony meeting in lurid detail. Although surprisingly the Bishop never stopped him.

Edited by clarkgoble
20 minutes ago, clarkgoble said:

Then you agree that it is not like those other things. I wasn't saying you were saying they should marry. I was saying that if you think there's no difference then marriage should be fine. i.e. to argue that you actually thought there was a difference.

After all having an anger issue you are working for doesn't preclude you from marriage. If you think they shouldn't be married that's a pretty huge difference.

What the???

I'm sorry, but other inclinations from sin (besides SSA) can indeed preclude you from marriage.  Uncontrolled anger issues can indeed preclude marriage and/or end existing marriages.  Ask any person who's seen anger fueled abuse.  Pride and egotism can keep a person from marriage.  Laziness can keep a person from marriage.  Mental illness can keep a person from marriage.