strappinglad Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Recently I have been youtube binge watching the ' Sirius Disclosure " which presents witness testimony about UFOs ( ya, I know, please don't judge.... too harshly ) . One of the reasons given by gov't etc. for not acknowledging the existence of ' others ' , is that the public would panic and there would be a mass fleeing from organized religion. Thought experiment. Suppose it became fully excepted and proven that extraterrestrials are around and have been here for a long time. What effect would this have on your view of religion, particularly LDS religion? For myself , I see LDS scriptures as saying there are myriad other worlds and other beings. There are quite a few other religions which deny such, and I suppose would have a harder time of it. I would still have questions about why they are allowed to interact with us and what connection they might have with God . For those who claim the speed of light barrier would keep all ETS away, even if they exist, let's assume they are able to control the space time continuum 1
Storm Rider Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Small pet peeve - excepted or accepted? I don't see the idea of extraterrestrials as being in conflict with the teachings, doctrines, theology of the restored Church. I agree with you that the impact on members would be nil to very positive. Others, well I also agree with you that they will have some problems with the concept. I guess as I think more about it, if the extraterrestrials were not similar in appearance to humans that some problems may be posed for LDS. Peace and long life.
Ahab Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 I came here from another planet many years ago. And I am a "legal" alien. Psst. And everybody else on this planet did too. 1
pogi Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 I suppose Scientology would probably get a boost in interest. Especially if it was discovered that there really was an evil galactic overlord named Xenu. 2
Duncan Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 I would imagine we could only find out so much about them. We wouldn't know their language to communicate with them, we could find out their physiology but other than the spacecraft they came from . I am reminded of this verse in Moses ch. 1, 35 But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them. There it is
The Nehor Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Sightings of UFOs, Bigfoot, and Nessie have all but vanished since virtually everyone started carrying a camera with them everywhere they go. 1
Duncan Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Just now, The Nehor said: Sightings of UFOs, Bigfoot, and Nessie have all but vanished since virtually everyone started carrying a camera with them everywhere they go. You have to Watch Expedition Unknown!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! They went to the Himalaya area to potentially find the Abdominable snowman
strappinglad Posted April 18, 2017 Author Posted April 18, 2017 9 minutes ago, The Nehor said: Sightings of UFOs, Bigfoot, and Nessie have all but vanished since virtually everyone started carrying a camera with them everywhere they go. You really need to get out more. Youtube is filled to overflowing with daily sightings of UFOs and bigfoot. Funny how all videos are so blurry though. Hmmmm. 2 hours ago, Storm Rider said: Small pet peeve - excepted or accepted? Actually, that was my vain attempt at a play on words. Or maybe it was just a grammatical error. We will probably never know for sure. 1
CV75 Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 (edited) 11 hours ago, strappinglad said: Recently I have been youtube binge watching the ' Sirius Disclosure " which presents witness testimony about UFOs ( ya, I know, please don't judge.... too harshly ) . One of the reasons given by gov't etc. for not acknowledging the existence of ' others ' , is that the public would panic and there would be a mass fleeing from organized religion. Thought experiment. Suppose it became fully excepted and proven that extraterrestrials are around and have been here for a long time. What effect would this have on your view of religion, particularly LDS religion? For myself , I see LDS scriptures as saying there are myriad other worlds and other beings. There are quite a few other religions which deny such, and I suppose would have a harder time of it. I would still have questions about why they are allowed to interact with us and what connection they might have with God . For those who claim the speed of light barrier would keep all ETS away, even if they exist, let's assume they are able to control the space time continuum Exhibit A; Esau, the hairy alien. and Exhibit B, a cave painting from the walls of the Qumran caves: Edited April 18, 2017 by CV75
Rain Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Assuming the ET are human I don't think any LDS who knows our doctrine would have a problem. I'm not coming up with why someone not of our religion would have a problem with human forms either. It is only when you get to other forms that many LDS would struggle, including me. Those who believe in the full theory of evolution may be more ok with it - not sure. Thinking about other Christians and not human ET I think many would struggle as well, but if they believe in the idea that God is without body parts or passions it seems they should have an easier time accepting it, but my gut feeling is that is not the reality.
pogi Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 10 hours ago, Duncan said: ...Abdominable snowman Is that the abominable snowman with huge abs (abdomen)?
Duncan Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Just now, pogi said: Is that the abominable snowman with huge abs (abdomen)? nasty guy, burps all the time, slurps his soup, disgusting
Ahab Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 20 minutes ago, Duncan said: nasty guy, burps all the time, slurps his soup, disgusting Hey!!! I would have you know that burping and slurping are considered good etiquette on some planets!!! 1
Duncan Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Just now, Ahab said: Hey!!! I would have you know that burping and slurping are considered good etiquette on some planets!!! Or in Fred Flintstone's time!!!! "Wilma, pass me another Cactus Cooler, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!"
Ahab Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 6 minutes ago, Duncan said: Or in Fred Flintstone's time!!!! "Wilma, pass me another Cactus Cooler, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!" Roses have thorns too and I don't hear any women complaining about them! Sheesh! You seem like a difficult guy to please!
Duncan Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Just now, Ahab said: Roses have thorns too and I don't hear any women complaining about them! Sheesh! You seem like a difficult guy to please! It's hard being me
Ahab Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Just now, Duncan said: It's hard being me Try being me sometimes.
Duncan Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Just now, Ahab said: Try being me sometimes. Do you eat the Fish Filet from BK?
Ahab Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 2 minutes ago, Duncan said: Do you eat the Fish Filet from BK? When I order it, yes. Which is rarely. I like fish, or the taste of fish, generally. But I very seldom eat animal flesh anymore, including filets of fish flesh. I usually eat nothing but plants or the fruits that are grown on plants, in their whole form. with no added oils.
Duncan Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 Just now, Ahab said: When I order it, yes. Which is rarely. I like fish, or the taste of fish, generally. But I very seldom eat animal flesh anymore, including filets of fish flesh. I usually eat nothing but plants or the fruits that are grown on plants, in their whole form. with no added oils. well, I like sardines so I guess you can be me or I you
Darren10 Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 13 hours ago, pogi said: I suppose Scientology would probably get a boost in interest. Especially if it was discovered that there really was an evil galactic overlord named Xenu. Every Marvel fan knows it's Galactus.
Darren10 Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 4 hours ago, CV75 said: Exhibit A; Esau, the hairy alien. and Exhibit B, a cave painting from the walls of the Qumran caves: This guy is not amused: https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2013/01/03/100352544-et-the-extra-terrestrial-900.530x298.jpg?v=1473067063 1
Bernard Gui Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 (edited) 15 hours ago, strappinglad said: Recently I have been youtube binge watching the ' Sirius Disclosure " which presents witness testimony about UFOs ( ya, I know, please don't judge.... too harshly ) . One of the reasons given by gov't etc. for not acknowledging the existence of ' others ' , is that the public would panic and there would be a mass fleeing from organized religion. Thought experiment. Suppose it became fully excepted and proven that extraterrestrials are around and have been here for a long time. What effect would this have on your view of religion, particularly LDS religion? For myself , I see LDS scriptures as saying there are myriad other worlds and other beings. There are quite a few other religions which deny such, and I suppose would have a harder time of it. I would still have questions about why they are allowed to interact with us and what connection they might have with God . For those who claim the speed of light barrier would keep all ETS away, even if they exist, let's assume they are able to control the space time continuum Well, so far they appear to have obeyed the Prime Directive. Or have they? Edited April 18, 2017 by Bernard Gui
Ahab Posted April 18, 2017 Posted April 18, 2017 5 minutes ago, Duncan said: well, I like sardines so I guess you can be me or I you Yep, I like sardines too, with crackers. And kippered herring, with crackers. And smoked salmon, with crackers, or lots of garlic and butter and herbs, and crackers. It's hard to find good tasting crackers that aren't made with any oil, though. I also like peanut butter, with crackers. Do you like crackers? 1
Recommended Posts