Need Help With My Child

kwildson

My 4 year old girl has started playing with barbies. She would take them on all these adventures like most kids do, but i noticed something conflicting. Two of her barbies are now “dating/married” and I don’t know if I should intercept the situation with two ken (male) dolls. Should I just allow her to just continue on her own or should I give her some ken dolls?

My 4 year old girl has started playing with barbies. She would take them on all these adventures like most kids do, but i noticed something conflicting. Two of her barbies are now “dating/married” and I don’t know if I should intercept the situation with two ken (male) dolls. Should I just allow her to just continue on her own or should I give her some ken dolls?

Young children have very active imaginations. Sexual identity is well established by that time. Boys and girls at that age both have cooties. ;)  If you want to you could introduce ken dolls, but at four years old it really isn't necessary. Just continue to expose her to positive male role models, and she'll be fine.

I can't imagine her turning down more dolls even as boring as Ken is…..(sorry for the humdrum attitude, even as a kid Barbies were way down on the list of what I wanted for presents)

http://treechangedolls.tumblr.com/

I just had to share what this lady decides to do to regular barbies.  Such a great idea, I hope the toy manufacturers take note and make more realistically looking Barbies or Ken dolls.  

On your question, maybe it's a passing phase, not sure what would be the right answer.  Since she's only 4, I have an idea that she didn't have the Ken doll to begin with and she's making do with the other girl doll.  

The knitted sweaters last nice long time.

Mom gave away the Barbie stuff without asking us if we wanted it (I didn't have a girl yet, but still...), it was still in great shape 30 years later she had sewn it so well. I remember a sweater too that just curled a little at the edges. Once the kid is old enough, might be fun to teach to knit a skirt or something easy.