Benchmark Books / Book Of The Moment?

JLHPROF

So I am fortunate living in the SL valley to work not too far from the wonderful Benchmark Books - possibly the best bookstore focused on LDS books in existence.  I stopped in today and was reminded what it's like to be a kid in a candy store again.

They have cases of limited editions, controversial publications, scholarly works, and host fascinating author events.  My wife and I probably go peruse the shelves monthly for new and interesting reads.

Have any of the other board members had opportunity to visit this store?  What fascinating book on Mormonism have you read recently and would have to recommend?  What LDS oriented books would you like to get your hands on?

I'd love to have a copy of B. H. Roberts' Seventy's Course in Theology, 5-vols., without having to pay hundreds of dollars for it (eBay is selling them for $500).  What astonishes me is that a reliable reprint of that great work has never been done.  It is in the public domain -- no copyright.

A pdf is available at http://www.lafeuilledolivier.com/English/Roberts_Seventys_Course_in_Theology_facsimile.pdf , and a seminar on it was held last year at UVU in Orem, but I would love to have a reprint of the original.

Never been to the store, sadly.  But I read a write-up in The Tribune (sorry, Scott! ;)) on the proprietor, Curt Bench, a few months ago.  He sounds like a wonderful fellow. :)  Not to derail the thread, but has anybody made any interesting finds in other venues, as well (e.g., Eborn Books)?

I am reading The Life and thought of Orson Pratt by Breck England and it is great (found it at Eborn). I've never been to benchmark but I will go now, thanks:)

Never been to the store, sadly.  But I read a write-up in The Tribune (sorry, Scott! ;)) on the proprietor, Curt Bench, a few months ago.  He sounds like a wonderful fellow. :)  Not to derail the thread, but has anybody made any interesting finds in other venues, as well (e.g., Eborn Books)?

I am reading The Life and thought of Orson Pratt by Breck England and it is great (found it at Eborn). I've never been to benchmark but I will go now, thanks:)

Eborn is great and so is Sam Wellers and Ken Sanders.  However, they sell regular books as well as books on Mormonism and you really have to sift.  The reason I love Benchmark is that they are focused on books on Mormonism (and my wicked side likes that much of it is not Church approved).  They also carry everything from RLDS works to Fundamentalist publications, all of Signature Books fascinating titles, and reprints of classics like Women of Mormondom etc.  I love being able to get books on any gospel topic that interests me.

... The reason I love Benchmark is that they are focused on books on Mormonism (and my wicked side likes that much of it is not Church approved).  ...

You Rebel, you!  :diablo:

;):D

I'd love to have a copy of B. H. Roberts' Seventy's Course in Theology, 5-vols., without having to pay hundreds of dollars for it (eBay is selling them for $500).  What astonishes me is that a reliable reprint of that great work has never been done.  It is in the public domain -- no copyright.

A pdf is available at http://www.lafeuilledolivier.com/English/Roberts_Seventys_Course_in_Theology_facsimile.pdf , and a seminar on it was held last year at UVU in Orem, but I would love to have a reprint of the original.

When I was at Kofford Books we did an ebook version of it. The formatting is a bit different from the original, but I think it should be available in the Apple, Nook, and Kobo bookstores still.

Edited by Gohan
  • 2 weeks later...

Benchmark Books just posted that "Words of Joseph Smith" by Ehat and Cook is being reprinted.

This is awesome news - I've always wanted a copy but used ones are several hundred dollars online.

Very cool.

This is why I STILL would like to go to Utah, someday.

Only because of the Internet did I become aware that Mormonism was more broad and nuanced than what I experienced in LDS chapels. By that time I was removed too far from it for more than a passing intellectual curiosity.

Oh well. At least this forum still exists.

• 3 weeks later...

I have been there a couple times since this thread started. They are awesome! But they are burning through all my disposable income :)

I have been there a couple times since this thread started. They are awesome! But they are burning through all my disposable income :)

Made any interesting selections?  Always on the lookout for my next read.  (Right now I'm reading "Nauvoo Polygamy: But We Called It Celestial Marriage by George D. Smith).

Oooooh ....  Bzzzz-zzzz-zzzt!  (Sorry.  :huh:  That was my computer shorting out after I drooled on it when I saw this! Madsen, Walker, and Welch, Eds., (2014) Sustaining the Law: Joseph Smith's Legal Encounters, Provo, Utah: BYU Studies (2014).  And it's only $24.95!  Still ... I'm flat broke.  (Man, I need to get a new hobby.  Having the law as a hobby instead of being able to make a living at it is just way too expensive! :()

I rarely visit Utah, but had to go for a family reunion last summer.  We hit all the big Church/tourist spots, and my one regret is that I didn't have time to visit Benchmark Books.  Much to my wife's relief, I'm sure...

Made any interesting selections?  Always on the lookout for my next read.  (Right now I'm reading "Nauvoo Polygamy: But We Called It Celestial Marriage by George D. Smith).

reading "Mormon Hierarchy". I also got the Orrin Porter Rockwell biography, but I haven't started it yet. There are so many great books there though

I've been in Utah now for 20 years. I visited Benchmark Books for the first time last month to hear a presentation on a limited edition "Cowboy Apostle". Anthony Ivins is a relative of mine, and after seeing so many relatives listed in the index, I actually bought the book (at $100+). Yikes.

Awesome store, highly recommend it. Learning that Anne Wilde is a long-time employee there was a bonus!

Edited by HiJolly
  • 1 month later...

I haven't heard of Benchmark Books and I've lived in Utah my whole life.  But I'm not in SLC very often and mostly to visit my parents or go to the temple when we are there.  I love books so I'll have to look them up.

I just discovered Confetti Books in Spanish Fork.  If anything they have a bigger selection than Benchmark...for those who don't get up to SLC and hang out in the Provo  area.

• 2 weeks later...

I just discovered Confetti Books in Spanish Fork.  If anything they have a bigger selection than Benchmark...for those who don't get up to SLC and hang out in the Provo  area.

but do they have the controversial stuff?

but do they have the controversial stuff?

Oh yes, and then some... :diablo: