Byu Students Gone Wild

Mark Beesley

Man, I wish the coeds at BYU had been this covered-up when I attended 35 years ago. :D

Seriously, is there a father out there who would have been distraught if his daughter had dressed for class like this girl did? I'm more concerned about the kid who wrote the letter . . . either severely disturbed, or a really warped sense of humor.

Man, I wish the coeds at BYU had been this covered-up when I attended 35 years ago. :D

Seriously, is there a father out there who would have been distraught if his daughter had dressed for class like this girl did? I'm more concerned about the kid who wrote the letter . . . either severely disturbed, or a really warped sense of humor.

When I opened up my Yahoo last night, I couldn't believe this was the number one story on it (of course, they are generally human interest stories, mainly about celebrities....one thing I hate about yahoo). It is unfortunate in my opinion that she was unable to get a shot of the young man who did this, as I think he should be getting counseling about not only invading someone's personal space in the way he did (I'm not talking about the physical space), but if he is obsessing about women as being immodest (I think his pointing to her disturbing the men and women around her is a projection of his own disturbance on others) with this as an example, I do think he is likely emotionally troubled. And if it is a joke, then it would discourage future pranksters from doing so. Edited by calmoriah

That outfit looks perfectly fine, to me.

I agree, it's the young man, who has the problem.

Most speculation has centered around the fact that the dress did not reach her knees. But thick leggings are as modest as a typical pair of jeans. Of course, we don't know the state of the young man's mind, so all this is just a guess. But MY guess is that the issue for the young man may not have been the length of the dress. The neckline, while not immodest, was scooped. So she's studying, bent over reading a book, and if she has typical female, ummm...dimensions, a young man standing at the right angle might have gotten a bit of an eyeful. I know when I was younger, friskyer, and single, an "eyeful" would sure get me all hot and bothered.

Having said that, the right solution is to leave and do a lap around the library humming "Come, Come, ye Saints" until the shock passed. Writing a note and passing it to the young lady is rather creepy. And again, most reasonable persons would agree that her outfit was by no means immodest.

Anyway, just my uninformed take on the whole situation. Before the age of Facebook and Twitter, this story would not have made it out of Provo.

Most speculation has centered around the fact that the dress did not reach her knees. But thick leggings are as modest as a typical pair of jeans. Of course, we don't know the state of the young man's mind, so all this is just a guess. But MY guess is that the issue for the young man may not have been the length of the dress. The neckline, while not immodest, was scooped. So she's studying, bent over reading a book, and if she has typical female, ummm...dimensions, a young man standing at the right angle might have gotten a bit of an eyeful. I know when I was younger, friskyer, and single, an "eyeful" would sure get me all hot and bothered.

Having said that, the right solution is to leave and do a lap around the library humming "Come, Come, ye Saints" until the shock passed. Writing a note and passing it to the young lady is rather creepy. And again, most reasonable persons would agree that her outfit was by no means immodest.

Anyway, just my uninformed take on the whole situation. Before the age of Facebook and Twitter, this story would not have made it out of Provo.

It is unfortunate that in today's age of mass media that each act of stupidity we do has the ability to make us an international spectacle. Is this the normal action for this young man? Who knows. What was his real motivation? We don't know; all we know is that a note was written. Why was it told to the world? What was her motivation? Should we all immediately report the faux pas of others?

After several years of my family prodding me to get a FB account I finally did recently. I still don't use it very often and frankly the kinds of things that most people write is not of interest to me. I do enjoy seeing pictures and the ability of my children to send a quick note to me and vice-versa. Regardless, I don't see any benefit to Twitter or anything like it. As a community there are few redeeming qualities to these technologies and I suspect they more often than not just cause problems.

During my life I have made several social plunders for which I am grateful that those involved never felt the need to buy a billboard advertisement and tell the world of my complete stupidity. If we are going to have the tools at our disposal, we should be teaching people what is socially responsible and what is not. I would start by teaching the 13 Article of Faith and ask each individual that if there speech is not in keeping with this Article's goals, then just don't say it, tell it, or repeat it. Gads we have become such a socially promiscuous society.

After several years of my family prodding me to get a FB account I finally did recently. I still don't use it very often and frankly the kinds of things that most people write is not of interest to me. I do enjoy seeing pictures and the ability of my children to send a quick note to me and vice-versa. Regardless, I don't see any benefit to Twitter or anything like it. As a community there are few redeeming qualities to these technologies and I suspect they more often than not just cause problems.

The problem isn't so much Facebook-and i presume Twitter,-don't have an account there, hardly pretend to understand what it is about- as it is discretion, knowing what kind of postings will be useful. Through Facebook, I have reconnected with people I knew growing up, folks from my old ward in CA, missionary companions, cousins I have not seen in 30 years, all kind of people that it was great to touch base with and see how they are doing, and it is a great tool for that. Obviously, like any tool, it can be abused.

If I had to describe this guy I would go with socially awkward, passive-aggressive, and angry. Then covering the anger with self-righteousness. Either that or a naive novice in the gospel falling too far off one side of the horse.

Either way he was an idiot. The correct response for him is to decide not to date said girl and ignore it. Also, if those clothes were inspiring him to lust he probably needs to repent of whatever is making him sex crazed because he is being silly.

Then again I don't think she was very bright either. Why is she sharing this with the world? Was the offense so heinous that it needed to be publicized? She should have just rolled her eyes, acknowledged the guy was an idiot, told a few close friends for a laugh, and forgiven the guy for being clueless.

If I had to describe this guy I would go with socially awkward, passive-aggressive, and angry. Then covering the anger with self-righteousness. Either that or a naive novice in the gospel falling too far off one side of the horse.

Either way he was an idiot. The correct response for him is to decide not to date said girl and ignore it. Also, if those clothes were inspiring him to lust he probably needs to repent of whatever is making him sex crazed because he is being silly.

Then again I don't think she was very bright either. Why is she sharing this with the world? Was the offense so heinous that it needed to be publicized? She should have just rolled her eyes, acknowledged the guy was an idiot, told a few close friends for a laugh, and forgiven the guy for being clueless.

I agree completely.

I vote warped sense of humor. Classic college response.

From what I heard is the claim is she went to the nearest bathroom and took a picture of herself.

If she lied about that, the whole thing could be a scam....for what purpose, who knows. It might get her in big trouble if security got worried about it.

Yeah, this kind of sh ... Er, I mean, um ... crap ... sorry! ... ;) makes the Church and the state look backward, provincial, and narrow-if-not-closed-minded, yada-yada ... And which is more, I'm absolutely certain that it's a Utah Mormon Thing. There! Happy, JWhitlock? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

i dont think that leggings are modest. leggings are not more that a thick pair of tights. would you wear a t-shirt and a pair of tights out? there are lots of places that say that leggings do not count as a pair of trousers so wearing leggings with a short skirt does not make wearing the short skirt right.

• 2 weeks later...

Mark, if you are going to post hyprelinks to material like this, please do us all the courtesy of labeling them NSFW.