Anyone Know Spokane?

KevinG

I have a job interview in Spokane next week (yay!)

Is anyone from there or Western Idaho? I know there are lots of Mormons and a Temple but I would love to hear about the town, where the family friendly places to live are, what there is to do around the region, etc.

From what I can tell its a beautiful city with lots of outdoor stuff. Living there doesn't scare me as much as having to move accross the country - but that is a different discussion.

I am lurker on the boards here, but I grew up in Spokane (1991-1999) so thought I would answer even though its been a while. I loved it and my family loved it too. I still have some friends there and they still love it there.

I would really like to go back someday if it is in the cards. It has a large LDS population so that is a plus.

There is lots to do there if you are an outdoors type person. Lots of mountains around to go hiking and skiing. Lakes around for the summer time. The Spokane river park downtown is a great summer place as well for walks and such.

I never really liked the northside too much. I know now the desirable places to live are Nine Mile Falls (northeast), the valley (southeast), and the Liberty Lake area (East).

If you are into sports the stakes there have a great sporting program with Softball and Basketball.

There is still an issue with white supremecists to an extent. They mostly live north of Spokane and in Northern Idaho. I never had issues with them but had friends that did. But that was mostly because they went to places that weren't the best hang out spots! One supremecist was arrested last year for trying to set off a pipe bomb at an MLK day parade.

You won't meet a person that dislikes it.

Hope this helps a bit.

I know quite a few people who LOVE Spokane. I went there for Time Out For Women. There's a park with a giant red wagon. :D It's quite pretty too. Good luck!

Spokane has a reputation.Or should I say,had a reputation.Hopefully someone from the area can clarify if said rep is still true.Just a heads up.

Would that be the one about the state releasing sex offenders there because they won't take them in Seattle?

I have lived with white supremecists in the Midwest and Southeast. I tend to ignore them and they ignore me.

Thanks for the lowdown Madmardigan. If you wanted to find an affordable home to rent, access to public transportation for a downtown job, access to the airport, decent high schools, and perhaps a half acre to plant a garden where would you go.

Were not in the quarter of a million dollar home club and we shop at Wal-Mart. (Lots of kids one income).

Keep in mind I've commuted in the Altanta area so I can deal with taking the bus and nothing is going to shock me as far as traffic.

DaddyG:

I've been through there a few times. Looks beautiful and from what I saw a clean city. Airport is nice but small. Weather is cold compared to where I live in southern California, and a lot drier than Seattle. Lots of outside sports activities along with fishing, camping, and hunting. Strong presence of LDS.

Spokane is where I first heard of the Chuch. I led a sheltered life in So Cal. A bunch of us 19 year olds went to the Worlds Fair in Spokane., I didn't even know what a Mormon was. I went to the LDS exhibit and was impressed enough to fill out a card to have the missionaries drop by. It would be 10 more years before we joined the church.

Edited by rodheadlee

I have a job interview in Spokane next week (yay!)

Is anyone from there or Western Idaho? I know there are lots of Mormons and a Temple but I would love to hear about the town, where the family friendly places to live are, what there is to do around the region, etc.

From what I can tell its a beautiful city with lots of outdoor stuff. Living there doesn't scare me as much as having to move accross the country - but that is a different discussion.

You are not really thinking of leaving Zion?

You are not really thinking of leaving Zion?

I love my Georgia acre with its hickories, oaks and my apple orchard. It has been a great place to raise kids. But a solid salary with a solid growth company doing a job that uses my experience is not something I would be able to pass up.

The most painful part is that my two oldest daughters would probably stay here for their jobs and family. The company does have an Alpharetta office so I would have an excuse to visit often.

I will just have to order some Arkansas Blacks bare root and see if I can make them grow in Washingon. The roses are no problem. The younger kids will gain from the experience and there are lots of things to do there from what I can tell.

If the offer is made and Heavenly Father confirms the decision we will take zion with us and bloom where we are planted.

I so understand.

Hubby was laid off in 2008 and though he's been able to find temporary work for most of the time since then, it has been a real struggle to maintain our finances and have hope in the future. After being laid off again right after Christmas he's finally got an interview with a big time company for a real job. I don't think he could be more excited.

It's not until the 29th though and the waiting is terrible!

Being a finalist is so worth celebrating when it's been a long time coming. :D

I have lived with white supremecists in the Midwest and Southeast. I tend to ignore them and they ignore me.

Thanks for the lowdown Madmardigan. If you wanted to find an affordable home to rent, access to public transportation for a downtown job, access to the airport, decent high schools, and perhaps a half acre to plant a garden where would you go.

Were not in the quarter of a million dollar home club and we shop at Wal-Mart. (Lots of kids one income).

Keep in mind I've commuted in the Altanta area so I can deal with taking the bus and nothing is going to shock me as far as traffic.

I really have no idea about public transportation. Growing up where I did everything was within a couple miles for me and my Dad had a work car to take downtown. The traffic isn't bad. About 30-45 minutes of a drive to downtown from Spokane Valley during rush hour. The city has done a good job with the growing population.

As for rentals there shouldn't be a problem. Real estate isn't expensive if you want to buy and for renting it shouldn't be bad either. Tons of houses under $200K. If you want a little property I don't think it would be too much of a hassle (I've been looking at real estate there lately for fun).

Oh, and Nine Mile Falls is northwest, not northeast!

I so understand.

Hubby was laid off in 2008 and though he's been able to find temporary work for most of the time since then, it has been a real struggle to maintain our finances and have hope in the future. After being laid off again right after Christmas he's finally got an interview with a big time company for a real job. I don't think he could be more excited.

Prayers for your hubby and the family. I'm personally done learning lessons about survival and thrift and ready for the burden of riches! :-)

Thanks again! A little more research online has uncovered a great bus system that goes all the way to the outer suburbs, affordable rental homes in the city and some really exciting parks and museums. I think we could settle there nicely if it comes to that.

In an ironic but happy twist I have a recruiter from Saudi calling me about a job the morning I arrive in Spokane. No offers yet but it sure is nice hearing from real companies.

I so understand.

I had no idea-prayers for definate sure!I wish there was something I could do to help

Edited by Duncan

Hello Daddy G and Bluebell...

Bluebell, you know you're in my prayers... and now Daddy G you will be also. And my prayer is that what is right for you will be... and that you will be able to articulate your views and answers during the interview that will serve you well... that the company will be able to see the good person that you are and the talents that you would bring to the job.

I remember when my dear hubby was making a career move and he was among the 18 people that were called for initial interviews. Then they narrowed it down to three finalists. We flew to San Francisco. The night before hubby's final interview we attended dinner with three company couples. Then the next day was his interview. Afterwards they asked if we could delay our flight home (to So Cal) while they deliberated some more... we were on pins and needles... finally the word came... my dear one got the job!! We flew home that evening, sort of stunned at the changes that would take place in our life. Moving from So Cal to San Francisco... having to sell our home... me quitting a job I absolutely loved and had worked hard for promotions, etc., and having to find a new job... etc. But all worked out well, hubby did extremely well; I found a good job... and we retired 14+ years later, and we moved here to the beautiful Oregon coast... now my dear one is gone and I've been widowed for almost 14 years... sigh....

But I live in a cottage-by-the-sea with my big beautiful cat, Bob... a wonderful ward and a temple about 2 hrs away.

The Lord answered all my prayers, and I feel blessed, and my dear one waits beyond the veil...

from the beach... GG

Thanks GG! If we end up out West we will visit the Oregon coast. Perhaps we can finally meet in person and I can introduce you to my brood (or the part of them that will come West with us).

Thanks GG! If we end up out West we will visit the Oregon coast. Perhaps we can finally meet in person and I can introduce you to my brood (or the part of them that will come West with us).

I would absolutely look forward to meeting you and your family...

GG