Seriously No Politics ×

Woman Loses Temple Recommend for Talking About Her Divorce

I know some folks that live in Eagle Mountain, UT and they don't seem to know these people involved. I looked it up on google earth and this place isn't Chicago or Zurich, Switzerland or something. How do they not know???!!! anyways

5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

THat's insane.  How dare any leader try to make the argument that disagreeing with their counsel equals apostasy.  

Well...the Stake President said 

• “Disagree with me all you want, but to not follow council direction from your priesthood leaders there's a name for that that' called apostasy,”

From the good old CHI:

Section 6.7.3
Apostasy

Apostasy refers to members who:

• Repeatedly act in clear, open, and deliberate public opposition to the Church or its leaders.
Edited by JLHPROF

This story reminds me of an experience from my mission.  We were asked to visit the inactive members in the ward, and one of the people on the list was a middle-aged woman who had stopped attending a few months before.

Coincidentally, the ward's building was being renovated so they were meeting across town in the Stake Center.

Here's how the conversation went:

(small talk...)

Elder Cinepro:  Sister Barrington, we've noticed you haven't been to Church in a while.  Can we invite you to come back?

Sr. Barrington: Sure Elders.  The reason I haven't been going is because a few years ago, my husband left me and married my friend who was my visiting teacher.  They attend the ward that meets in the Stake Center, and so I just don't feel like I could see them together at Church.

(Long pause...)

Elder Cinepro:  Uh, after the building renovation is finished we hope to see you back.

Sr. Barrington (looking a little surprised): Well yes, of course.

(Elder Cinepro wonders why the local leaders sent the missionaries on this call...)

3 minutes ago, cinepro said:

This story reminds me of an experience from my mission.  We were asked to visit the inactive members in the ward, and one of the people on the list was a middle-aged woman who had stopped attending a few months before.

Coincidentally, the ward's building was being renovated so they were meeting across town in the Stake Center.

Here's how the conversation went:

(small talk...)

Elder Cinepro:  Sister Barrington, we've noticed you haven't been to Church in a while.  Can we invite you to come back?

Sr. Barrington: Sure Elders.  The reason I haven't been going is because a few years ago, my husband left me and married my friend who was my visiting teacher.  They attend the ward that meets in the Stake Center, and so I just don't feel like I could see them together at Church.

(Long pause...)

Elder Cinepro:  Uh, after the building renovation is finished we hope to see you back.

Sr. Barrington (looking a little surprised): Well yes, of course.

(Elder Cinepro wonders why the local leaders sent the missionaries on this call...)

Hopefully the local leaders were new and didn't know.

4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

It's not too much to expect that church leaders are mature enough to know that not agreeing with their counsel is not the same as opposition to the leaders of the church.  This story is crazy.  

It's not about agreeing.  The handbook doesn't say she has to agree.  The Stake President specifically said she didn't have to agree.

As leader of their stake, the Stake President instructed that something deemed inappropriate in the stake/ward should cease.  I think we would need a bit more information as to the nature of her actions to determine if the SP overstepped.
Who was she speaking to?  In what venue were the conversations occurring?  Etc.

This member didn't just disagree, but openly disobeyed.  I would say that falls under the Handbook definition of apostasy.

6 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Seriously.  You don't hold a disciplinary council for the husband who had an emotional affair but you threaten to hold one for a hurt wife who won't stay silent about it??   That is so messed up.

Sounds like an abusive relationship to me. At the very least he is a bully.

It sounds like the SP could use some lessons in tact, humility, and appropriate treatment of others.

4 minutes ago, juliann said:

So members are to do whatever a "leader" says about anything at any time?  Seriously?  

Ask the FP - they set the policies.
Goodness knows I have numerous disagreements with Church leaders on many subjects.  And I have that right.
But I don't have the right to preach those over the pulpit, not even in testimony meeting, and certainly not after being instructed to stop speaking on them.

Forget the divorce thing for a second.
What if her disagreement was on the Word of Wisdom?  That she felt that it was not by way of commandment and coffee was completely ok.
She has that right.
Now, what if she was continually expressing that view in the ward?  Still ok?
Now, what if she was continually expressing that view in the ward after being asked to stop by the Bishop/SP?  Still ok?

Sorry, but depending on what was meant by " you emphatically said you would not stop talking about this with other people" she could be in a state of apostasy.

1 minute ago, The Nehor said:

I sympathize with the Stake President. An inveterate gossip is often worse than an adulterer in tearing congregations apart. I have my doubts the woman was just discretely confiding and venting to a few close friends.

I bet If they could the ward Relief Society President and the Bishop went to the Stake President because this woman would not shut up about it and people, possibly including the children of those involved, were being hurt.

Exactly my point.
We just don't have all the details as to what exactly she was asked to do that she chose to ignore.

2 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

It's not about agreeing.  The handbook doesn't say she has to agree.  The Stake President specifically said she didn't have to agree.

As leader of their stake, the Stake President instructed that something deemed inappropriate in the stake/ward should cease.  I think we would need a bit more information as to the nature of her actions to determine if the SP overstepped.

This member didn't just disagree, but openly disobeyed.  I would say that falls under the Handbook definition of apostasy.

She doesn't have to agree, she just needs to obey him. Yikes! It is a toxic culture that requires a woman to obey a man from the church, whether she believes he is correct or not.

This guy is on a power trip. It seems rather obvious. That he has the institutional power to enforce his abuse is unacceptable.

I live out in the country on a small acreage. I once had a SP tell me that I needed to move my family into the city for safety and protection. I smiled and chuckled because I thought he was teasing but he became serious and repeated his counsel. I didn't follow it because it wasn't any of his business to command me in such things. IF he had pressed things harder (like this SP has done) we would have had a serious problem. Thankfully he backed down. I learned a year later that 3 families in our stake had sold their farms and moved into subdivisions per the SP request. THAT is an abuse of power and we are under no requirement to obey the commands of petty tyrants.

7 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

Yeah, I don’t fault her for confiding in friends...I fault her for the discussion being “loud” enough that it got back to the bishop/stake president after they asked her to stop.  I have my doubts she was being discreet.