Seriously No Politics ×

Should anyone care about historical hate speech by senior Church leadership?

20 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

How passive-aggressive can you get? 

No more passive aggressive than BD and several other people have been to me. I've actually been far more civil and polite than the other side has been to me.

22 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

You want BD to analyze your evidence, she reluctantly does so (taking up her valuable time, I might add), then you tear down her conclusions. 

I never asked her to analyze my evidence. She did that all on her own. And she only did it because I pointed out that no one had even discussed the evidence bluebell claimed had been proven invalid. And that the closest anyone had come to even discussing it was BD dismissing it out of hand. Her goal was to tear down my conclusion and discredit the evidence. So I don't think it's unreasonable for me to make a counter-argument and defend my position by pointing out what I believe are serious holes in her argument. 

23 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

You have no leg to stand on.

I disagree. The facts are on my side. Even BD (inadvertently I'm assuming) conceded that women working outside the home is a cause of the higher divorce if for no other reason than their "marriages were already unhappy or dissatisfying ones and it gave greater abilty to vacate."

28 minutes ago, Peacefully said:

Give it up for God’s sake so we can all go on with our lives. 

Nobody is forcing you to read this discussion. If you would like to get on with your life, you are free to do so. 

43 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Beyond that, she didn't dismiss it out of hand. 

The first time she did, before later going back through it looking for every possible excuse to write it off. 

Plus, you've dismissed data and references that I and others have posted and provided links to.

Such as?

You've accused her and others of plenty on here. 

Please give me one example of where I have accused anyone here of anything other than being biased and prejudiced towards men who hold more traditional views AFTER they repeatedly falsely accused me of being a misogynist?

Edited to add one more statement of yours. You said: "You just don't like her conclusions and believing that she's biased and dismissing evidence is the only way that you have to deal with them."

This isn't true. I addressed several of her justifications for dismissing my evidence using facts and reason. The ball is now in her court to give a counter-argument if she can.

Edited by Grug the Neanderthal
1 hour ago, Peacefully said:

I’m invested in this discussion because of the way you are treating my sisters on the board.

If you're truly concerned with how people in this discussion are being treated, may I suggest looking at the very mean spirited things your sisters on the board have said to and about me right from the on set. I have been very civil in how I have responded to this. 

But I don't hold any malice towards them for how they have treated me. I understand that they feel threatened by my viewpoint and are just being defensive. 

5 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Thank you so much.

This kind of support means more than you could know. Because of the way that men who have similar perspectives to Grug and Buckwheat view women, the only voices that even have a chance of being heard by them are those of other men.

I so appreciate those men who are willing to be vocal.

(that goes for you too Nehor). 

Ditto, big time 

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

It is amazing how the men who decry feminism and female empowerment as dangerous so often turn out themselves to be object lessons on why feminism needs to be a thing in the first place.

You are so right, but I think it is falling on deaf ears. Thank you for being one of the men on here who hears what we are saying and isn’t threatened by it. 

18 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

I'm not going to get into the discussion topic because I feel like it's pointless to interact with Grug. I'm sure he'll have some retort to that, but whatever. He can't see it, doesn't want to see it, or sees it but enjoys it (I'm heavily leaning towards the later).

I do want to say though that Blue Dreams has been here a very very long time and I have always valued her presence and contributions. She brings a wonderful point-of-view, especially to discussions of relationships, marriage, sexuality, race, and on and on. She has both personal and professional experience. Her posts are well thought out and reasoned. I appreciate the time that she takes to write them. Anyone who goes after her the way Grug has is going to frustrate all of us who have been reading her posts all these years.

I can say the same things about the other women on this thread who have responded to Grug, too: Raingirl, bluebell, Calm, Mustardseed, Peacefully, and others (sorry if I've missed your name!). It's frustrating to see a relatively new poster cruise in and act the way he is towards these sisters. There are ways to share the ideas he has without alienating the people he's supposedly trying to persuade. This has been pointed out to him but he hasn't changed. That's why I think he sees/knows what he is doing but enjoys it.

Thank you, ladies, for what you bring to this board. But more importantly, thank you for sharing your experiences as women and searching for and hopefully finding your authentic selves in a male dominated world. Both of our religions are patriarchal, but both of our religions also value the divine feminine (Heavenly Mother and the Blessed Virgin Mary come to mind). The traditional culture of our religions can often twist this around in unhealthy ways, but culture is not truth. Christ valued and loved women in ways that can be harder for us men to understand, fogged up as our eyes often are with privilege and cultural baggage.

Thank you. This means a lot and you understand how to make people feel heard and seen. 

There has clearly been a breakdown in communication in this discussion. And contrary to what has been suggested, I don’t enjoy how the discussion has gone and the bad feelings that certain individuals clearly have towards me because of the breakdown in discussion that has occurred. It was definitely not my intent to rile any one up. 

For my part, I regret that I was unable to communicate my viewpoint, which I believe is not at all prejudiced towards women, in a way that didn’t come off that way to several other people here. I believe that people misunderstood what I was saying and what my intentions were in sharing my viewpoint. I believe that this misunderstanding caused them to read things into my words that were not intended, which intern caused them to lash out at me. While I have tried very hard to be civil, I have been a little short with some of you who I felt were falsely accusing me, ganging up on me, and twisting my words. And for that I apologize. 

21 minutes ago, Grug the Neanderthal said:

There has clearly been a breakdown in communication in this discussion. And contrary to what has been suggested, I don’t enjoy how the discussion has gone and the bad feelings that certain individuals clearly have towards me because of the breakdown in discussion that has occurred. It was definitely not my intent to rile any one up. 

For my part, I apologize that I was unable to communicate my viewpoint, which I believe is not at all prejudiced towards women, in a way that didn’t come off that way to several other people here. I believe that people misunderstood what I was saying and what my intentions where in sharing my viewpoint, and that this caused them to read things into my words that were not intended, which caused them to lash out at me. While I have tried very hard to be civil, I have been a little short with someone of you who I felt were falsely accusing me, ganging up on me, and twisting my words. And for that I apologize. 

‘I apologize that everyone else misunderstood me completely.’

Even the one part where you expressed an actual apology you very carefully made it clear that it was everyone else’s fault by minimizing your offense as “a little short” while giving a litany of how persecuted you where in much less minimized language. Then a final grand apology for doing a tiny little no-no due to the jackals hounding you beyond what any reasonable person could endure.

You may want to look up what a genuine apology does and does not include. This is an argument for innocence disguised as an apology. Just don’t apologize instead. It would be classier.

2 hours ago, Grug the Neanderthal said:

For my part, I apologize that I was unable to communicate my viewpoint, which I believe is not at all prejudiced towards women, in a way that didn’t come off that way to several other people here. I believe that people misunderstood what I was saying and what my intentions were in sharing my viewpoint. I believe that this misunderstanding caused them to read things into my words that were not intended, which intern caused them to lash out at me. While I have tried very hard to be civil, I have been a little short with some of you who I felt were falsely accusing me, ganging up on me, and twisting my words. And for that I apologize.

@The Nehor is right.  That falls short of a real apology, but at least you are apparently trying.

Perhaps "how to make a genuine apology" isn't in your skill set.  My limited social skills were mostly acquired the hard way, and that includes "how to make a genuine apology." 

And in my all-too-extensive experience, making a genuine apology is well worth the effort because it helps BOTH parties.  That's why we do it. 

Google "how to make a genuine apology", or just click on this link:

https://thinkkindness.org/all-things-kindness/5-steps-sincere-apology/

Edited by manol