Former W. Bountiful mayor, Church leader suspect in years-long child sex abuse case

2 hours ago, The Nehor said:

Not sure if sarcasm……..

The role of mayor though doesn’t really involve access to children in general anyways.

Neither does the role of former bishop.  Since it sounds like it occurred while he was mayor, it seems logical to assign some of the blame to the city council.  I believe that's how it works when a currently serving bishop abuses someone - the church is assigned some of the blame and responsibility.  Makes sense to me at least.

12 minutes ago, gopher said:

Neither does the role of former bishop.  Since it sounds like it occurred while he was mayor, it seems logical to assign some of the blame to the city council.  I believe that's how it works when a currently serving bishop abuses someone - the church is assigned some of the blame and responsibility.  Makes sense to me at least.

A bishop is specifically expected to interact with young people. That being said I have no idea if he was a bishop or a former bishop or a pre-bishop when this happens.

Good to know I did read the sarcasm right and well played.

Edited by The Nehor
15 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

A bishop is specifically expected to interact with young people. That being said I have no idea if he was a bishop or a former bishop or a pre-bishop when this happens.

Good to know I did read the sarcasm right and well played.

I learned it by watching you, dad.

15 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

True, some are just sexual predators.

They are all sexual predators, but I suppose you could say some of them are only that…but somehow it seems like there must be more to it than just a twisted sense of what sex is.  They have to have a warped sense of what others are and their place in the world.

• 4 weeks later...

An update:

A 77-year-old man who once served as the mayor of West Bountiful, and as a bishop of his local ward entered a not guilty plea for multiple felony child sexual abuse charges filed last month.

Carl Johnson faces multiple counts of felony sexual abuse of a child, ranging between the years of 1983 - 1998.

2News broke the story of his arrest as investigators swarmed his Orem home in early September. More victims came forward to detectives following news of his arrest.

The man formerly in positions of trust in both The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and the city of West Bountiful is accused of abusing children as young as 2.

He remains in custody at the Davis County Jail.

A few weeks after he was arrested, Johnson's wife filed for divorce.

A pretrial conference was scheduled for October 15.

Thanks,

-Smac

32 minutes ago, ksfisher said:

Isn't that the root of all sin?  All of us at times treat others as objects or as a means to an end. 

(not excusing anything)

I am not sure about all sin, but my guess is self centeredness and lack of empathy, the inability or lack of desire to love another as ourselves is the cause of the vast majority of sin. 

Edited by Calm
1 hour ago, Calm said:

I am not sure about all sin, but my guess is self centeredness and lack of empathy, the inability or lack of desire to love another as ourselves is the cause of the vast majority of sin. 

Yes, he definitely chose his feelings over the victims.

Watching this on Peacock. I remember when the "Abducted in Plain Sight" was on Netflix about the same story. How could this sick person be allowed to hold a TR recommend and have church callings after all he did. He even served a year for rape of another child. Why were the parents so naive and trusting? Is it a Mormon thing? 

https://people.com/crime/a-friend-of-the-family-shows-how-predator-groomed-entire-family-to-get-to-the-girl-he-kidnapped-and-abused/

His obituary:

Robert Ersol "Bob" Berchtold BRIGHAM CITY - Robert Ersol Berchtold, age 69, died Friday, November 11, 2005, in Bunkerville, Nevada. He was born February 7, 1936, in Tremonton, Utah to Leonard N. and Lucille Grover Berchtold. When Bob was 3 yrs. Old his father passed away and in 1939 his mother married Joseph Ersol Berchtold who raised Bob and his older brother Don as his own. Bob attended schools in Thatcher and Eden, Utah, Star Valley, Wyo and graduated from Box Elder High School in Brigham City. He served an LDS mission in the Swiss Austrian Mission. He attended BYU, USU and Ricks College. He served in the US Army, stationed in Albuquerque, New Mexico. On June 7, 1961, he married Gail Toyn in the Logan Temple and they had five children. They lived in Albuquerque, NM, Brigham City, Harper and Ogden, Utah. They were later divorced. On July 17, 1990, he married Xxxxxx at the Pine View Reservoir, Utah. They were later sealed in the Las Vegas Temple. They resided in Las Vegas until 1997 when they moved to Logandale, Nevada Bob was blessed with a beautiful singing voice and sang all over Box Elder and Weber County as a young boy. He continued singing throughout his life and brought enjoyment to many through his great talent. He had a great love for the gospel of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served in many capacities in the Church. He loved the seven years he served as a temple ordinance worker in the Las Vegas Temple. He was a very successful salesman and business owner. He had an out-going and pleasant personality and made friends with all he met. Bob enjoyed camping, 4 - wheeling and anything that involved his family and friends. He and Xxxxx spent their summers in the mountains of Monte Cristo, Utah and loved their time there. Survivors include his wife, Xxxxxx, of Logandale; four sons and one daughter: xxxxxxx of Roy, UT; xxxxxx of Las Vegas, NV; xxxxxx of Henderson, NV; xxxxxx of Ogden, UT; xxxxxx of Farr West, UT; seven grandchildren; his mother, Xxxxxx of Brigham City, UT; two brothers and one sister: xxxxxx currently serving a mission in Australia; xxxxxx of Ogden, UT and xxxxxx of Brigham City, Utah. Funeral service will be held Thursday, November 17, 2005, at 11:30 a.m. at the Gilles Funeral Chapel, 634 East 200 South, Brigham City, Utah. Family will greet friends from 10:00 a.m. to 11:15 a.m. prior to services at the mortuary. Interment will be in the Brigham City Cemetery, where military honors will be accorded by the Combined Veterans of Box Elder County. Funeral services were held in Logandale, Nevada on Tuesday, November 15, 2005.

Edited by Tacenda
21 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Why were the parents so naive and trusting? Is it a Mormon thing? 

From the link you shared: 'The nine-part series details how the charismatic and wily Berchtold was able to gain the unwitting trust of Broberg and her parents — seducing both her mother and father to gain their trust ... He was able to do that by engaging in separate sexual relationships with each of her parents ...' Doesn't sound very 'Mormon' to me ...

45 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

From the link you shared: 'The nine-part series details how the charismatic and wily Berchtold was able to gain the unwitting trust of Broberg and her parents — seducing both her mother and father to gain their trust ... He was able to do that by engaging in separate sexual relationships with each of her parents ...' Doesn't sound very 'Mormon' to me ...

What, no mention how Berchtold was able to go onto serving in the LV temple for several years after he sexually abused little girls?

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

What, no mention how Berchtold was able to go onto serving in the LV temple for several years after he sexually abused little girls?

I don't know that he did. According to my Google search, the sole place that piece of information can be found is a single post on ex-Mormon Reddit, which was then re-posted by two people, at least one of whom is you.

Maybe the aliens scrubbed his obituary from literally every other website but couldn't get past the ex-Mormon force field? Or maybe he was in a sexual relationship with the bishop who recommended him? :unknw:

Edited by Hamba Tuhan

There are a couple of different ways to look at this kind of thing.  One is, "Why did discernment fail the person responsible for deciding whom to call?"  And another is, if someone is unworthy or unfit to be called to a particular position, it is the person's opportunity to "come clean."  I realize that abusers tend to have certain personality traits that give them huge blind spots when it comes to the prospect of doing that: They may, and if I had to guess, I would say that often, they do, look at the calling a splendid opportunity to continue to "ply their trade" further (my phrase, and, granted, it's a poor one, but I'm looking at this from the perspective of an abuser) and continuing to victimize others, but still ...  It's not as though they lack, completely, the free will simply to decline the calling.

Human beings may be mocked every which way and on every day of the week ending in "-y," but God will not be.  See also Matthew 18:6.

• 1 month later...

I wonder if her mom is around and what she has to say.

If what Elizabeth said is accurate (memories being what they are, I hope someone has relevant documentation), I don’t understand why the mother wasn’t arrested as well.

From the Church:

As for Elizabeth's complaint, the church "is still reviewing this complaint regarding abuse that occurred more than two decades ago, but disputes the allegations that Church leaders advised the family not to report the father's abuse to authorities.”