West coast

So my wife and I want to take a trip out west, either Vegas or possibly California. So my question is, would a trip to Vegas be better with some time spent in Utah and possibly the Grand canyon, or would a California trip be better. Really more interested in taking in landmarks and history, not worried about driving time once we get out there. Planning on 10 to 12 days. Thanks in advance west coasters. 

What time of the year and do you have issues with heat?  Will you want to stay in your car and drive mostly or like to get out and walk?  Besides Temple Square and other historic sites in Utah, you have the glories of the National parks.

Posted (edited)

Hi Mike, my husband and I are in Virginia right now, we hung out on the beach today! It's been a little crazy, there were two wrecks in two days and standstill traffic, yesterday from DC and one in the tunnel in Norfolk from Virginia Beach but we still had fun. We weren't in either accident thank goodness.

I am biased but think Utah would be fun. 

Edited by Tacenda

I second what Cal said about what time of year.  Southern Utah is amazing, but the summer months are incredibly hot, with a lot of afternoon thunderstorms.  Not a great combination in canyon country.  In the fall though, Utah would be an amazing side trip.

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Hi Mike, my husband and I are in Virginia right now, we hung out on the beach today! It's been a little crazy, there were two wrecks in two days and standstill traffic, yesterday from DC and one in the tunnel in Norfolk from Virginia Beach but we still had fun. We weren't in either accident thank goodness.

I am biased but think Utah would be fun. 

Yes traffic is kinda crazy right now with all the work being done on tunnels and interstates. Rubber neckers cause a lot of accidents watching the work being done. If you need any recommendations on places to eat feel free to ask. You been to Busch gardens yet?

2 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Yes traffic is kinda crazy right now with all the work being done on tunnels and interstates. Rubber neckers cause a lot of accidents watching the work being done. If you need any recommendations on places to eat feel free to ask. You been to Busch gardens yet?

No, it's pretty rainy the last two days here. 🙂 We're in Williamsburg. 

2 hours ago, Calm said:

What time of the year and do you have issues with heat?

End of September, and no problems with the heat. I love driving and will definitely be getting out, I really want to go to some of the parks that have the big red and orange rock formations you always see on tv. Is it worth a trip to see the great salt lake while out there. I remember early on when I joined some of you guys said it stinks really bad.a

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Is it worth a trip to see the great salt lake while out there.

Salt Flats in Nevada were more impressive to me, but I never swam in Great Salt Lake like my grandparents did.  After the ocean, a giant pink lake is meh to me....though that is only half of it. 

other don’t feel that way:

https://m.cityweekly.net/utah/still-great/Content?oid=13709436

From nasa  

image.jpeg

Edited by Calm
25 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

No, it's pretty rainy the last two days here. 🙂 We're in Williamsburg. 

My girls love Busch gardens, sometimes we would go just to ride the train around the park until 45 minutes or so before closing, then pick their favorite ride and get on. That way there wasn't a line and the people would let us keep riding sometimes 6 or 7 times in a row. Years ago when my daughter was 13 or so we rode the lochness monster 5 times in a row and when we were riding home she threw up in my backseat, then that made my other daughter do the same thing, fun trip for sure. The rest of the way home all I could smell was smoked brisket because that's what we had for dinner, yuk. I thought I would share that story with you so in case you guys make it to Busch gardens, you actually have to walk under the lochness monster to go thru the park, you'll remember my story 😂😂😂😂

My girls love a BBQ place in Williamsburg called Pierce's BBQ. To me it's just ok. Also, there's a Vietnamese noodle shop called Pho 79 in Williamsburg. Now that's some good food!  If you go, there #2 soup has round steak and spicy meatball's, your husband will love it. My wife gets the 3 pork skewers with rice and cucumbers, I think it's the c4 on the menu.😂 

55 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I second what Cal said about what time of year.  Southern Utah is amazing, but the summer months are incredibly hot, with a lot of afternoon thunderstorms.  Not a great combination in canyon country.  In the fall though, Utah would be an amazing side trip.

Thank you

59 minutes ago, Calm said:

Salt Flats in Nevada were more impressive to me, but I never swam in Great Salt Lake like my grandparents did.  After the ocean, a giant pink lake is meh to me....though that is only half of it. 

other don’t feel that way:

https://m.cityweekly.net/utah/still-great/Content?oid=13709436

From nasa  

image.jpeg

The distinctive line between the two colored sides is caused by a railroad causeway, which, though technically private property, you can drive on.  It's a beautiful drive in the winter (when the flies aren't out and it doesn't smell like death).  The water is so calm on the pink side that during sunset it often creates a perfect mirror image of the sky.  It's breathtaking.  

7 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

So my wife and I want to take a trip out west, either Vegas or possibly California. So my question is, would a trip to Vegas be better with some time spent in Utah and possibly the Grand canyon, or would a California trip be better. Really more interested in taking in landmarks and history, not worried about driving time once we get out there. Planning on 10 to 12 days. Thanks in advance west coasters. 

Ir depends on what you want to experience. California has everything. Take I- 80 west out of Utah all the way to SF. SF sucks now but go north across the Golden Gate to Sausalito.  I love that town. Take 101/1 north through the Redwood trees up the coast to Oregon. If you take that route you will have experienced the Sierra mountains and Gold Country as well as the Sacramento Delta area and  San Francisco Bay and the redwood trees.

You could take I-15 South out of Vegas and go all the way down to San Diego and ride up the coast through Dana Point Newport Beach Long Beach Redondo Beach Manhattan Beach all the way to Venice. If you want to see people and California beaches that's the route to take.

Also along the 15 after leaving Las Vegas you have Death Valley and the Calico mine area if you want to visit desert.

The Central Coast of California from Santa Barbara to San Jose is a different climate and experience.

It's expensive and crowded but I love my state. You can go water skiing in a hundred degree temps and then turn around and go up the mountain and go snow skiing on the same day. 

36 minutes ago, bluebell said:

The distinctive line between the two colored sides is caused by a railroad causeway, which, though technically private property, you can drive on.  It's a beautiful drive in the winter (when the flies aren't out and it doesn't smell like death).  The water is so calm on the pink side that during sunset it often creates a perfect mirror image of the sky.  It's breathtaking.  

I haven’t done that. If ever I learn to enjoy being in a car again, sounds like something I might like to do...plus taking along a microscope to see differences up close. 

But today..that feels like one of those “wait til the resurrected body arrives” dreams I am currently collecting...along with rock climbing and paragliding and getting back into gymnastics. 

1 hour ago, bluebell said:

I guess I better check this out. I just remember swimming there as a child. You don't see that much these days. 

2 hours ago, AtlanticMike said:

My girls love Busch gardens, sometimes we would go just to ride the train around the park until 45 minutes or so before closing, then pick their favorite ride and get on. That way there wasn't a line and the people would let us keep riding sometimes 6 or 7 times in a row. Years ago when my daughter was 13 or so we rode the lochness monster 5 times in a row and when we were riding home she threw up in my backseat, then that made my other daughter do the same thing, fun trip for sure. The rest of the way home all I could smell was smoked brisket because that's what we had for dinner, yuk. I thought I would share that story with you so in case you guys make it to Busch gardens, you actually have to walk under the lochness monster to go thru the park, you'll remember my story 😂😂😂😂

My girls love a BBQ place in Williamsburg called Pierce's BBQ. To me it's just ok. Also, there's a Vietnamese noodle shop called Pho 79 in Williamsburg. Now that's some good food!  If you go, there #2 soup has round steak and spicy meatball's, your husband will love it. My wife gets the 3 pork skewers with rice and cucumbers, I think it's the c4 on the menu.😂 

I hope we're able to do at least one of these great suggestions, thanks!

Have you ever been to Utah, Las Vegas or California before? And what things interest you and your wife?

Dude, go to Cali then Reno, this one's hikeable and on my list. Reno has some awesome Japanese restraunts, a few all you can eat.  If you do go to Vegas check out makinos, all you can eat Japanese.  SLC is on my list, next time I'm there I'm taking a closer look at the craftsmanship of the tabernacle choir building.  You guys make the best buildings next to the Catholic Church.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/el-capitan-trail-historical--2

5 hours ago, poptart said:

Dude, go to Cali then Reno, this one's hikeable and on my list. Reno has some awesome Japanese restraunts, a few all you can eat.  If you do go to Vegas check out makinos, all you can eat Japanese.  SLC is on my list, next time I'm there I'm taking a closer look at the craftsmanship of the tabernacle choir building.  You guys make the best buildings next to the Catholic Church.

https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/california/el-capitan-trail-historical--2

Thanks, I think my wife is leaning towards California. 

30 minutes ago, AtlanticMike said:

Thanks, I think my wife is leaning towards California. 

If you go to northern California besides the redwoods check out Mt. Shasta, neat place.  

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon do that (maybe the south and north rim and the train from page to the west rim).  This year you might be able to find a river rafting excursion that has space.   If you choose to visit other areas of interest to native americans, that will just round out your trip.  (And if you decide to stop in Las Vegas on the strip for one of the legendary shows and buffets (if there are any at the moment) you can still circle round to Zion and Bryce and Canyonlands.

Just make sure your car is in good repair as it is a royal pain to get stranded in the middle of nowhere, especially in 115 degree heat if the truck that comes and gets you (several hours later after sitting in an overheated truck stop with indigestible food) doesn’t have air conditioning and you have to squeeze 5 people into three seats. (recommend buying ice blocks and holding them in your lap or even sitting on them and then leaning against the window and pretend you are not there).  Extra bonus...a week before start taking a medication that has a big capital warning sign label saying “DO NOT GET OVERHEATED”.

I probably will never drive to California again after that.

End of September is perfect for Utah national parks. I think it really depends what you want to see. Salt lake to Zions and down to the Grand Canyon? Or, California beaches and Redwoods. I love exploring new places. 

3 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

End of September is perfect for Utah national parks. I think it really depends what you want to see. Salt lake to Zions and down to the Grand Canyon? Or, California beaches and Redwoods. I love exploring new places. 

Thank you. I know this is going to sound weird but when I was young one of my favorite shows was airwolf. I loved when he would fly the helicopter out of the big rock formation, I think that was in Utah. I'm trying to convince my wife we need to see that before I die, she's not having it. 

On 6/2/2021 at 9:56 PM, rodheadlee said:

It's expensive and crowded but I love my state. You can go water skiing in a hundred degree temps and then turn around and go up the mountain and go snow skiing on the same day. 

This I like

3 hours ago, rpn said:

If you haven't been to the Grand Canyon do that (maybe the south and north rim and the train from page to the west rim).  This year you might be able to find a river rafting excursion that has space.   If you choose to visit other areas of interest to native americans, that will just round out your trip.  (And if you decide to stop in Las Vegas on the strip for one of the legendary shows and buffets (if there are any at the moment) you can still circle round to Zion and Bryce and Canyonlands.

Thank you

On 6/2/2021 at 1:45 PM, AtlanticMike said:

If you (1) don't mind driving and (2) you do have ten or more days, do the Grand Canyon, southwestern Utah, Las Vegas, and San Diego County, California.