Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 6/19/2020 at 4:34 PM, pogi said:

It can be difficult for sure because so many different things can look like Covid. 

If your cough and congestion is normal for you, I wouldn't question it too much unless it changes or progresses into something unusual and abnormal.  If it started in February and is not going away, it is very unlikely to be Covid related. 

What you should watch for is a sudden onset of symptoms that is different from your base-line.

The fact that you have a new runny nose (do you get allergies?), a new cough (It sounds like, but I can't tell if it is new/different or not for you), and new muscle aches (do your muscle aches feel like normal after-workout soreness?  Or is it more like flu achiness?), that sounds like it could be something to get checked out.  Especially if you are not the only one having these symptoms.  

Always ask yourself, "is this normal for me?"  If not, stay home just in case, and get tested.     

See that's the thing.  I have experienced a lot of new things since the beginning of March - I think.  I now wonder what I haven't noticed before because I just wasn't paying attention and what is actually new.  

That's what makes having so many symptoms difficult.  I can tell you I don't have a fever.  I can tell you my coughing is nothing like when I have had a flu or cold, just seems different.  I can tell you my oxygen levels are good.

So when I keep hearing yet another symptom it becomes a thing I am much more aware of than normal. It just becomes a constant thing of "do I need to quarantine?"  Kind of crazy.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Rain said:

See that's the thing.  I have experienced a lot of new things since the beginning of March - I think.  I now wonder what I haven't noticed before because I just wasn't paying attention and what is actually new.  

That's what makes having so many symptoms difficult.  I can tell you I don't have a fever.  I can tell you my coughing is nothing like when I have had a flu or cold, just seems different.  I can tell you my oxygen levels are good.

So when I keep hearing yet another symptom it becomes a thing I am much more aware of than normal. It just becomes a constant thing of "do I need to quarantine?"  Kind of crazy.

The only way to know is to test.  Covid rarely last more than a week or two, however.  If you have been having these symptoms since March, it’s highly unlikely to be Covid. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
35 minutes ago, pogi said:

The only way to know is to test.  Covid rarely last more than a week or two, however.  If you have been having these symptoms since March, it’s highly unlikely to be Covid. 

Oh, I know.  I got tested some time ago.  The funny thing was as I was quarantining after the test was that I realized if I didn't have it then there was nothing to stop me from getting it.  It took 12 days to get my results back.  The test wasn't pleasant at all. (tip to anyone getting tested: if it brings on a headache then massage the bridge of your nose).  So with all of these little symptoms that keep coming up I have no plans to test again unless it gets pretty bad.  

Since the symptoms just seem to just keep cropping up and coughing is somewhat normal for me I just choose to stay in place except for the grocery store.  Well stay in place for my health as well. 

Some day though hopefully we can have something more definitive.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

@Pogi or others:  what am I missing here?  Hospitalizations are down. Hospital bed usage is up.  What is different that the # go opposite?  

Arizona stats

Edited by Rain

Share this post


Link to post

People staying longer?  More complications or less deaths?

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/19/2020 at 10:14 PM, 2BizE said:

Intermountain Healthcare physicians went to Nee York to assist and their stories are telling.

Do you have a link?

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/11/2020 at 9:21 AM, pogi said:

Around 80,000 medical volunteers were used in New York to help combat the influx and they still were drowning. 

I know you posted links before and I may still find them, but I am looking for credible sources on the problems NY hospitals had for someone who is under the impression there weren’t significant issues (they brought up the hospital ship).

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Calm said:

I know you posted links before and I may still find them, but I am looking for credible sources on the problems NY hospitals had for someone who is under the impression there weren’t significant issues (they brought up the hospital ship).

Oh, there were problems!  The hospital ship is just one example of internal problems.  Then there were the patients...

“The hospitals are housing ICU-level patients in the lobbies and the cafeterias,” the doctor said, while the Javits beds added “nothing.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/national/javits-center-comfort-new-york-covid-patients/2020/04/10/edeb002e-7a82-11ea-b6ff-597f170df8f8_story.html%3foutputType=amp
 

That was from a more liberal paper.  And from a more conservative:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/health/nyc-hospitals-overwhelmed-by-coronavirus-patients-resident-warns.amp
 

They were having over 800 deaths...not cases...DEATHS/day for awhile!!!

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data-deaths.page

If we were having 800 cases a day in Utah, we’d be completely overwhelmed.  I can’t even fathom 800 deaths a day! 

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, 2BizE said:

Thank you very much.

That was rather inspiring and heartbreaking. Thinking of what it would have been like given they got there when things were beginning to get better.  The description of it going from one day being normal to the next day overloaded hell...it must have been terrifying.

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post
6 hours ago, pogi said:

Oh, there were problems!  The hospital ship is just one example of internal problems.  Then there were the patients...

“The hospitals are housing ICU-level patients in the lobbies and the cafeterias,” the doctor said, while the Javits beds added “nothing.”

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.washingtonpost.com/national/javits-center-comfort-new-york-covid-patients/2020/04/10/edeb002e-7a82-11ea-b6ff-597f170df8f8_story.html%3foutputType=amp
 

That was from a more liberal paper.  And from a more conservative:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.foxnews.com/health/nyc-hospitals-overwhelmed-by-coronavirus-patients-resident-warns.amp
 

They were having over 800 deaths...not cases...DEATHS/day for awhile!!!

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/doh/covid/covid-19-data-deaths.page

If we were having 800 cases a day in Utah, we’d be completely overwhelmed.  I can’t even fathom 800 deaths a day! 

Also just what I needed, thanks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I have a facebook friend sharing a post by someone in the government showing the hospitalizations going down graph now.

I finally called the health department because the news is saying we are up.  The other graphs are up.  It isn't consistent. I wanted to know what the graph is missing.  It just didn't make sense.

The woman who answered told me covid hospitalizations are up.  She doesn't know the specifics of this graph so she is passing the info on in case there is a mistake.

 

Edited by Rain
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, Rain said:

I havea facebook friend sharing a post by someone in the givernment showing the hospitalizations going down graph now.

I finally called the health department because the news is saying we are up.  The other graphs are up.  It isn't consistent. I wanted to know what the graph is missing.  It just didn't make sense.

The woman who answered told me covid hospitalizations are up.  She doesn't know the specifics of this graph so she is passing the info on in case there is a mistake.

 

In the news yesterday:

“If we continue this trend and do not abate the crisis that is going on now, we will reach capacity in the coming weeks and we will no longer be able to care appropriately for patients with COVID-19, and also those that seek care for other reasons,” said Dr. Eddie Stenehjem with Intermountain Healthcare during Tuesday’s virtual press conference on the importance of wearing a mask. “We are seeing a disturbing and quite frankly an alarming trend in COVID cases.”

https://www.ksl.com/article/46768823/health-care-officials-concerned-about-covid-19-cases-overwhelming-hospitals

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

Share this post


Link to post
22 minutes ago, pogi said:

In the news yesterday:

“If we continue this trend and do not abate the crisis that is going on now, we will reach capacity in the coming weeks and we will no longer be able to care appropriately for patients with COVID-19, and also those that seek care for other reasons,” said Dr. Eddie Stenehjem with Intermountain Healthcare during Tuesday’s virtual press conference on the importance of wearing a mask. “We are seeing a disturbing and quite frankly an alarming trend in COVID cases.”

https://www.ksl.com/article/46768823/health-care-officials-concerned-about-covid-19-cases-overwhelming-hospitals

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

So much for going away during summer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Rain said:

I havea facebook friend sharing a post by someone in the givernment showing the hospitalizations going down graph now.

I finally called the health department because the news is saying we are up.  The other graphs are up.  It isn't consistent. I wanted to know what the graph is missing.  It just didn't make sense.

The woman who answered told me covid hospitalizations are up.  She doesn't know the specifics of this graph so she is passing the info on in case there is a mistake.

 

I think your friend is posting a bogus graph.  This is from state numbers:

In the below graph, pink represents ICU patients with Covid in Utah.  Blue represents non ICU patients with Covid in Utah.  You can clearly see an upward trend.

image.png.0cf514808d17302d03b9c89a93ca02a8.png

image.thumb.png.a24592b8f2e595963f53ea8e5f704eda.png

The above graph is total hospitalizations by date.  The gray area in above graph are not yet fully reported.  So, even though it appears like a dip, we have to wait until all reporting is complete.  Clearly an upward trend.

https://coronavirus.utah.gov/case-counts/#  (click on Hospitalizations and Mortality tab)

Here is a graph for the US as a whole (different colors represent different age groups):

image.thumb.png.981401202f62b1dc956f899d830785d1.png

https://gis.cdc.gov/grasp/COVIDNet/COVID19_3.html

Also clearly trending upwards.

 

Edited by pogi
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, pogi said:

I think your friend is posting a bogus graph. 

 

She shared a graph from the health department.  This is in Arizona and I can see it is on the website. That's why I called.  It is just either a mistake or is missing info.  I can't link to it directly, but it is under the "Hospitalization" circle.  It's when you look under the other circles that you find the other graphs. Unfortunately, she shared it from the page of Andrew Biggs, one of our congressmen.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I tried to do a screenshot but there is something wonky with that site loading.

Trying again:

image.thumb.jpeg.29eb1e79de470d8940ad0c2fde3b96cb.jpeg

Edited by Calm

Share this post


Link to post
16 minutes ago, Rain said:

She shared a graph from the health department.  This is in Arizona and I can see it is on the website. That's why I called.  It is just either a mistake or is missing info.  I can't link to it directly, but it is under the "Hospitalization" circle.  It's when you look under the other circles that you find the other graphs. Unfortunately, she shared it from the page of Andrew Biggs, one of our congressmen.

Oh ok.  I don't know what is going on in Arizona, so I can't speak to its accuracy.  I can say that the last 4 days of that graph probably don't have all the reporting in yet and is subject (and likely) to increase over the next several days..  At least that's how it works in Utah.  But even with that, it does appear to be a downward trend in Arizona.  That is great news if accurate. 

Share this post


Link to post

As far as I can tell it is not accurate unless it is doing something I don't really understand.  I know the woman this morning told me that it did go down a little from yesterday (Yesterday was 600+ and today was about 585), but that the overall trend is upward.  

Here are different graphs on the site which make me question it.  

 

covid.jpg

ICU.jpg

Share this post


Link to post

Wow!  That is good reason to question it for sure.  611 patients in ICU with Covid right now and 2,453 hospitalized!?  I can't imagine!  Are the hospitals totally overwhelmed there or are they handling the cases pretty well?

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, pogi said:

Wow!  That is good reason to question it for sure.  611 patients in ICU with Covid right now and 2,453 hospitalized!?  I can't imagine!  Are the hospitals totally overwhelmed there or are they handling the cases pretty well?

I'm not really sure how that works.  One of the graphs says we are close to 90% - ICU I think. Some of it you really have to look at the computer and I'm on my phone right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

From Instapundit:

WHICH WOULD ALSO MAKE IT TEN TIMES LESS DEADLY: CDC says COVID-19 cases in U.S. may be 10 times higher than reported: The estimate comes from a nationwide look at antibody tests.

This would pretty much make the case that the “it’s like a really bad flu” argument was correct after all.

UPDATE: Another implication: The lockdowns were already too late. New data shows 8.7 million Americans likely had coronavirus in March, lockdowns were worthless. “By the time governors in the U.S. forced lockdowns, COVID-19 had already extended beyond a point in which lockdowns could be effective in slowing the spread, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) own research on pandemic virus mitigation strategies.”

Edited by smac97
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, smac97 said:

From Instapundit:

WHICH WOULD ALSO MAKE IT TEN TIMES LESS DEADLY: CDC says COVID-19 cases in U.S. may be 10 times higher than reported: The estimate comes from a nationwide look at antibody tests.

This would pretty much make the case that the “it’s like a really bad flu” argument was correct after all.

UPDATE: Another implication: The lockdowns were already too late. New data shows 8.7 million Americans likely had coronavirus in March, lockdowns were worthless. “By the time governors in the U.S. forced lockdowns, COVID-19 had already extended beyond a point in which lockdowns could be effective in slowing the spread, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention’s (CDC) own research on pandemic virus mitigation strategies.”

This is nothing like a really bad flu, who is instapundit anyway, and how credible? https://www.healthline.com/health-news/why-covid-19-isnt-the-flu

He notes that during mid-April the “counted deaths” for COVID-19 in the United States were around 15,000 per week. During a typical “peak week” for the flu, the “counted deaths” are about 750.

Share this post


Link to post
13 minutes ago, smac97 said:

This would pretty much make the case that the “it’s like a really bad flu” argument was correct after all.

Define "really bad flu".

When was the last time they had to get refrigeration trucks to hold all the dead from a really bad flu?

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...