News on Plural Marriage

nuclearfuels

1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said:

You have it backward, longview:  As Dr Jordan Peterson repeatedly points out, the woke neo-Marxists love to demand equal outcomes, while all fair-minded people insist on equal opportunity -- otherwise under the rubric of merit, which is the measure demanded by God and natural law, dominated by free agency.

It is Satan who demands equal outcomes and the quashing of free agency.

I believe in equal opportunity to achieve the goal of exaltation.  I don't believe we all enter mortality at an equal level of progress any more than we will enter the next life that way.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, JLHPROF said:

I believe in equal opportunity to achieve the goal of exaltation.  I don't believe we all enter mortality at an equal level of progress any more than we will enter the next life that way.

God is a fair judge, and those who are placed in especially tough circumstances will be judged accordingly.  So too with the privileged.  Where much is given, much is expected.  God doesn't give a free ride to those who reach the age of accountability.  We are all tested, and the test is always measured to our capacity, and we will stand at the Final Judgment before a fair Judge.  All men are created equal before the law of God.  No exceptions.  The janitor is equally as important as the CEO, the doorman at the temple as important as the temple president -- for all are part of the Body of Christ and of equal import.  The world doesn't think that way, but God does.

• Like 1

And then there is this quote: https://journalofdiscourses.com/4/40

In the spirit world there is an increase of males and females, there are millions of them, and if I am faithful all the time, and continue right along with brother Brigham, we will go to brother Joseph and say, "Here we are brother Joseph; we are here ourselves are we not, with none of the property we possessed in our probationary state, not even the rings on our fingers?" He will say to us, "Come along, my boys, we will give you a good suit of clothes. Where are your wives?" "They are back yonder; they would not follow us." "Never mind," says Joseph, "here are thousands, have all you want." Perhaps some do not believe that, but I am just simple enough to believe it.
Help brother Brigham along, help brother Heber, brother Daniel, the Twelve, and every other good person. I am looking for the day, and it is close at hand, when we will have a most heavenly time, one that will be romantic, one with all kinds of ups and downs, which is what I call romantic, for it will occupy in full all the time, so that we may never become idle, nor sleepy, nor cease being active in the things of God, which will prevent dotage.
🤢
3 hours ago, Tacenda said:

And then there is this quote: https://journalofdiscourses.com/4/40

In the spirit world there is an increase of males and females, there are millions of them, and if I am faithful all the time, and continue right along with brother Brigham, we will go to brother Joseph and say, "Here we are brother Joseph; we are here ourselves are we not, with none of the property we possessed in our probationary state, not even the rings on our fingers?" He will say to us, "Come along, my boys, we will give you a good suit of clothes. Where are your wives?" "They are back yonder; they would not follow us." "Never mind," says Joseph, "here are thousands, have all you want." Perhaps some do not believe that, but I am just simple enough to believe it.
Help brother Brigham along, help brother Heber, brother Daniel, the Twelve, and every other good person. I am looking for the day, and it is close at hand, when we will have a most heavenly time, one that will be romantic, one with all kinds of ups and downs, which is what I call romantic, for it will occupy in full all the time, so that we may never become idle, nor sleepy, nor cease being active in the things of God, which will prevent dotage.
🤢

Sounds as though Brother Heber C. Kimball had something like the Islamic Paradise in mind.  8)

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

one that will be romantic,

Not commenting on rest of quote, but romantic here is probably the older usage of adventurous.  He is basically saying they will never be bored.

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Calm said:

Not commenting on rest of quote, but romantic here is probably the older usage of adventurous.  He is basically saying they will never be bored.

I posted because it shows a ratio of the many women to one man. 

Edited by Tacenda
29 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

posted because it shows a ratio of the many women to one man thing. And to me it doesn't feel like there is any truth to it, just wishful thinking

I don’t disagree. There was/is a mindset that family were more or less possessions that make the father look good or bad, much stronger back then.  The scriptures are pretty consistent with that view. It should not surprise anyone that their dreams at that time show the same values their society had.  

Brigham Young had lost his first very beloved wife pretty young. His mother had died of tuberculosis when he was 14.  Makes me wonder if he kept a bit more distance emotionally after that afraid of loss. He did have at least one close relationship with his daughter and he does appear to enjoy and desire being surrounded by family.  

Edited by Calm
5 hours ago, katherine the great said:

but I am just simple enough to believe it.

This is the only thing he ever said that I believe. 

That's the only statement made by Heber C. Kimball that you believe?
Sounds like you might be as prone to hyperbole as Heber was in his statements.

On 1/22/2021 at 1:28 PM, Calm said:

But this assumes it is possible to maximize internal attributes.  What if it isn’t?  What if personal growth is always possible?

Personal growthis always possible. When completed on the internal scale, where else would urther growth come from other than external sources?

2 hours ago, nuclearfuels said:

Personal growthis always possible. When completed on the internal scale, where else would urther growth come from other than external sources?

Again, you are assuming internal growth can be completed. What if it can’t?

I've said all I intended to say on this topic back a week ago, and I'm not going to contribute anything further to this topic, nor will I respond further on it. 

However, I want to bring your attention to an essay written about Emma Smith by Wendy C. Top that appeared in an anthology called Heroines of the Restoration, which was published by Bookcraft back in 1997. Unfortunately, the book is out of print, even electronically, so I can't refer you to an authorized version (although of course used copies will be available here and there). I've put the essay on my personal website in case anyone wants to read it. The essay deals with Sister Emma in connection with the topic under discussion.  Here is the link: ’A Deep Sorrow in Her Heart’ – Emma Hale Smith.  

Best regards to you all.

• Upvote 1
  • 3 weeks later...

Not much going on in this thread thought I'd share this meme. No offense against men, just thought it funny!

May be an illustration of text

Edited by Tacenda
On 2/15/2021 at 6:45 PM, Tacenda said:

Not much going on in this thread thought I'd share this meme. No offense against men, just thought it funny!

😆 ...breaking my vow briefly to show appreciation for the humor...

Edited by Stargazer
  • 2 months later...