Avatar4321 Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 http://www.sltrib.com/home/5352208-155/mormon-church-the-one-that Looks like we are doing more than I realized
smac97 Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 We have three families in our ward who converted to the Church from a polygamist group. There is a lot being done to help. That's my experience. Thanks, -Smac 1
RevTestament Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 I have considered opening our house to FLDS youth banished from their community. I don't know if that is still happening tho.
Calm Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 Several years ago my husband and I had a conversation down near St. George with a man who said he was with an outreach program the Church ran for the lost boys in the Las Vegas area. I couldn't confirm it, so I think I have only mentioned it a few times on the board as a possibility. Given what I know about transient bishops, I think it is highly likely to be an actual program. 1
Robert F. Smith Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 Others are joining the Davis County Co-op (which is also polygamous).
JLHPROF Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 4 hours ago, smac97 said: We have three families in our ward who converted to the Church from a polygamist group. There is a lot being done to help. That's my experience. There is only so much the Church can do though. If a family is truly polygamous, it doesn't matter if they leave the FLDS and are converted to the Church. They cannot be baptized.
Kenngo1969 Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 (edited) 1 hour ago, RevTestament said: I have considered opening our house to FLDS youth banished from their community. I don't know if that is still happening tho. Warren's reach is quite long in terms of both distance and duration, unfortunately. P.S.: I hope prison officials have shut off his communication pipelines with the outside world, but sometimes, that's easier said than done. Edited June 4, 2017 by Kenngo1969
Tacenda Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 1 hour ago, RevTestament said: I have considered opening our house to FLDS youth banished from their community. I don't know if that is still happening tho. http://holdingouthelp.org/help-2/ Here is a website that offers ways to help. I've been to the place in Draper, it's legitimate.
Robert F. Smith Posted June 4, 2017 Posted June 4, 2017 1 hour ago, JLHPROF said: There is only so much the Church can do though. If a family is truly polygamous, it doesn't matter if they leave the FLDS and are converted to the Church. They cannot be baptized. I wonder whether the RLDS would baptize them. In Africa, they have allowed baptism of those living polygamy.
RevTestament Posted June 5, 2017 Posted June 5, 2017 1 hour ago, Robert F. Smith said: I wonder whether the RLDS would baptize them. In Africa, they have allowed baptism of those living polygamy. kind of ironic
Robert F. Smith Posted June 5, 2017 Posted June 5, 2017 3 hours ago, RevTestament said: kind of ironic Yes, very. However, I don't understand what would be wrong with not breaking up already existing families. Perhaps there is a fear of polygamous heresy being introduced into the LDS Church. 1
cdowis Posted July 21, 2017 Posted July 21, 2017 On 6/4/2017 at 5:25 PM, JLHPROF said: There is only so much the Church can do though. If a family is truly polygamous, it doesn't matter if they leave the FLDS and are converted to the Church. They cannot be baptized. It requires permission from the First Presidency and handled on a case-by-case basis. It seems this was the model on how to handle SSM children who want to be baptized.
Tacenda Posted July 21, 2017 Posted July 21, 2017 57 minutes ago, cdowis said: It requires permission from the First Presidency and handled on a case-by-case basis. It seems this was the model on how to handle SSM children who want to be baptized. My niece on my husband's side married a man that grew up in a polygamist family, he even spent time a short creek, or Colorado City. But then joined the church and went on a mission. I need to ask him his story.
Damien the Leper Posted July 21, 2017 Posted July 21, 2017 On 6/4/2017 at 4:14 PM, Robert F. Smith said: I wonder whether the RLDS would baptize them. In Africa, they have allowed baptism of those living polygamy. RLDS or Community of Christ? If CoC, I can contact a friend who is a Seventy or maybe the field apostle.
MiserereNobis Posted July 21, 2017 Posted July 21, 2017 23 minutes ago, Valentinus said: RLDS or Community of Christ? If CoC, I can contact a friend who is a Seventy or maybe the field apostle. Valentinus, I so preferred your previous avatar/picture. From Soviet-Anarchist to ... University of Utah? Rather banal, wouldn't you say, brother? 1
Robert F. Smith Posted July 21, 2017 Posted July 21, 2017 24 minutes ago, Valentinus said: RLDS or Community of Christ? If CoC, I can contact a friend who is a Seventy or maybe the field apostle. Yes, by all means ask whether the CofC would allow baptism of polygamous FLDS.
Damien the Leper Posted July 21, 2017 Posted July 21, 2017 9 hours ago, MiserereNobis said: Valentinus, I so preferred your previous avatar/picture. From Soviet-Anarchist to ... University of Utah? Rather banal, wouldn't you say, brother? It is a jab at Garden Girl. She and her vile Cougars...bleh! Eventually, I find something fun again. I'm rather fond of this one: 3
JLHPROF Posted July 21, 2017 Posted July 21, 2017 11 hours ago, Tacenda said: My niece on my husband's side married a man that grew up in a polygamist family, he even spent time a short creek, or Colorado City. But then joined the church and went on a mission. I need to ask him his story. 12 hours ago, cdowis said: It requires permission from the First Presidency and handled on a case-by-case basis. It seems this was the model on how to handle SSM children who want to be baptized. That refers to children in the FLDS. There are polygamists leaving the FLDS and being ministered to by the Church who are still in polygamist relationships and are not able to be baptized.
Damien the Leper Posted July 22, 2017 Posted July 22, 2017 22 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: Yes, by all means ask whether the CofC would allow baptism of polygamous FLDS. There must be precedence. Hindu polygamous families have been baptized and confirmed but under the condition that no further spouses were taken. The same applies for fundamentalists leaving oppression. I'm going to contact Apostle Robin Linkhart who specializes in Restoration movements and directs the Latter-day Seekers program for people seeking a spiritual home in Community of Christ. 1
Robert F. Smith Posted July 22, 2017 Posted July 22, 2017 13 minutes ago, Valentinus said: There must be precedence. Hindu polygamous families have been baptized and confirmed but under the condition that no further spouses were taken. The same applies for fundamentalists leaving oppression. I'm going to contact Apostle Robin Linkhart who specializes in Restoration movements and directs the Latter-day Seekers program for people seeking a spiritual home in Community of Christ. That would properly be Latter Day Seekers. The CofC doesn't use a hyphen. Sounds like a good program.
Damien the Leper Posted July 22, 2017 Posted July 22, 2017 (edited) 9 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said: That would properly be Latter Day Seekers. The CofC doesn't use a hyphen. Sounds like a good program. I believe they use the hyphen for these particular people. From what I understand, it is a bridge for healing. Don't use "The" in front of Community of Christ. They don't seek to be THE Community of Christ but to be A Community of Christ. There is no exclusivity. Sections 161 and 162 of the D&C help explain this. Edited July 22, 2017 by Valentinus 1
Tacenda Posted July 22, 2017 Posted July 22, 2017 (edited) On 7/21/2017 at 9:44 AM, Valentinus said: It is a jab at Garden Girl. She and her vile Cougars...bleh! Eventually, I find something fun again. I'm rather fond of this one: My husband makes shapes out of rebar. He made a huge U for the Utes. To hang above our garage or in front of a large window. He did it just to spite the BYU fans in our neighborhood at first. Then I see him making a BYU one and also hanging that. I guess he did it for when each team was playing that day. But truly, we don't have any special team, I went to the U of U, so I could say I was the fan, but not really beholden. And he leans toward the Utes. So he ended up giving the BYU to our bishop who is a BYU fan to the nth degree. ETA: He also puts lights on these to light up at night. He turned our street into the Vegas strip with all of the things he's made. Stars, hearts, flags, Easter eggs... Edited July 22, 2017 by Tacenda
Tacenda Posted July 22, 2017 Posted July 22, 2017 On 7/21/2017 at 10:31 AM, JLHPROF said: That refers to children in the FLDS. There are polygamists leaving the FLDS and being ministered to by the Church who are still in polygamist relationships and are not able to be baptized. My brother's friend grew up in the Kingston group and said his dad left the Kingston group and is now a member of the LDS church. So I wonder what happened to my brother's friend's mom, I'll have to find at about that also. This friend also left the Kingston group.
Damien the Leper Posted July 22, 2017 Posted July 22, 2017 2 hours ago, Tacenda said: My husband makes shapes out of rebar. He made a huge U for the Utes. To hang above our garage or in front of a large window. He did it just to spite the BYU fans in our neighborhood at first. Then I see him making a BYU one and also hanging that. I guess he did it for when each team was playing that day. But truly, we don't have any special team, I went to the U of U, so I could say I was the fan, but not really beholden. And he leans toward the Utes. So he ended up giving the BYU to our bishop who is a BYU fan to the nth degree. ETA: He also puts lights on these to light up at night. He turned our street into the Vegas strip with all of the things he's made. Stars, hearts, flags, Easter eggs... He sold out quicker than the iPhone by making that BYU abomination. 😂
Recommended Posts