Seriously No Politics ×

Racist Mormon Mommy blogger-ughhh

It is disheartening to run into articles like this one. The Salt Lake Trib and Buzzfeed are also quoted. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4364368/Mormon-mommy-blogger-turned-alt-right-poster-girl.html http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5116879-155/mormon-blogger-trumpets-alt-right-racial-views https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/meet-the-alt-right-mormons-inside-the-churchs-vocal-white?utm_term=.ugYn7qWDl#.dcVe3DaM0  She is giving conservatives and Mormons a bad name. This is why I think it would be wise to have lessons in church on the race and the priesthood essay and go over it point by point. Many still don't even know that it exists. Sad. Buzzfeed seems to be the original source but this has spread further than I thought at first--I had not seen  this story until today but it broke on Sunday.

Her profile has been removed from Mormon.org.

There was an earlier thread that got locked on this (possibly because an alleged supporter of her ideas came around, possibly for other reasons).  I said all I wanted to there save the above.

7 minutes ago, Calm said:

There was an earlier thread that got locked on this (possibly because an alleged supporter of her ideas came around, possibly for other reasons).  I said all I wanted to there save the above.

I'm glad they took her profile down. This kind of thing needs to be quashed quickly, as it's a movement that is gaining power 

13 minutes ago, Calm said:

I didn't see it or I would not have started this thread--I looked but it must have moved down so far, I didn't see it. I've been busy and not checking this board as often lately. I truly think we need an official lesson on the race and the priesthood essay that highlights past theories that have been denounced. I think denouncing any past racist theories for the Priesthood ban need to be discussed openly and refuted head on. No one should be able to think racist opinions in any way are in harmony with the teachings of the Mormon church and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

6 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

I didn't see it or I would not have started this thread--I looked but it must have moved down so far, I didn't see it. I've been busy and not checking this board as often lately. I truly think we need an official lesson on the race and the priesthood essay that highlights past theories that have been denounced. I think denouncing any past racist theories for the Priesthood ban need to be discussed openly and refuted head on. No one should be able to think racist opinions in any way are in harmony with the teachings of the Mormon church and the Gospel of Jesus Christ. 

Unfortunately we will have bigots regardless of what the Church says.

16 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

No problem, just giving a heads up.  I am surprised it has already moved to the second page:

50 minutes ago, bsjkki said:

It is disheartening to run into articles like this one. The Salt Lake Trib and Buzzfeed are also quoted. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4364368/Mormon-mommy-blogger-turned-alt-right-poster-girl.html http://www.sltrib.com/lifestyle/faith/5116879-155/mormon-blogger-trumpets-alt-right-racial-views https://www.buzzfeed.com/jimdalrympleii/meet-the-alt-right-mormons-inside-the-churchs-vocal-white?utm_term=.ugYn7qWDl#.dcVe3DaM0  She is giving conservatives and Mormons a bad name. This is why I think it would be wise to have lessons in church on the race and the priesthood essay and go over it point by point. Many still don't even know that it exists. Sad. Buzzfeed seems to be the original source but this has spread further than I thought at first--I had not seen  this story until today but it broke on Sunday.

I think non-white and bi-racial Mormon couples should respond kindly to Ayla with pictures of their children and meme those pictures "heirs to the kingdom of God!".

What do you think?

8 minutes ago, Calm said:

No problem, just giving a heads up.  I am surprised it has already moved to the second page:

I found reading that depressing too. :( When I first clicked on the Daily Mail article, I was hoping the headline was misleading about the views of this Mormon blogger but her views are indefensible. Sad someone was willing to defend her viewpoint that is clearly not in alignment with the teachings of the church. 

1 hour ago, bsjkki said:

I found reading that depressing too. :( When I first clicked on the Daily Mail article, I was hoping the headline was misleading about the views of this Mormon blogger but her views are indefensible. Sad someone was willing to defend her viewpoint that is clearly not in alignment with the teachings of the church. 

However given her inability to say anything of a practical nature and her complete disregard of actual genetics and sociology, it demonstrates the view is nonsense and anyone who buys into it does so for purely emotional reasons.

30 minutes ago, HappyJackWagon said:

Just throwing something out there. I find this woman's words offensive and I recoil at her bigotry. I don't want to be associated with her mode of thought, at all, and it makes me cringe to think the church would be associated with overt racism.

However, should those of us who are unorthodox ourselves in various ways (which frankly is most everyone to some degree) really wish the church to shut down an unorthodox co-religionist or should we be satisfied that her ideas will fail on their own?

How much thought-policing do we really want?

I agree with all of this. My thought to bluebell's thought in the closed thread (hopefully vocal people get church discipline) is that many people on the other extreme side of the spectrum as allowed a fantastic amount of leeway, or rope to hang themselves with (e.g., Gina Covin; Jana Reiss; extreme forbearance for Kate Kelly, John Dehlin, etc.). It seems that when the unsavory views come from the right, there is more of a clamor to "shut it down, NOW!" than there is when they are from the left.

44 minutes ago, rongo said:

. It seems that when the unsavory views come from the right, there is more of a clamor to "shut it down, NOW!" than there is when they are from the left.

Depends on who you hang out with, I suspect.  I have read some "clamor" from some less than moderate bloggers and message boards about shutting down those they see as apostate.  Iirc, the wear pants to church group even got death threats from a disturbed BYU student (will doublecheck that, I am certain of the death threat, but not the source).

add-on:  yes, it was a BYU student, Honor Code office was investigating him, but couldn't find a report on conclusion

Edited by Calm
33 minutes ago, rongo said:

I agree with all of this. My thought to bluebell's thought in the closed thread (hopefully vocal people get church discipline) is that many people on the other extreme side of the spectrum as allowed a fantastic amount of leeway, or rope to hang themselves with (e.g., Gina Covin; Jana Reiss; extreme forbearance for Kate Kelly, John Dehlin, etc.). It seems that when the unsavory views come from the right, there is more of a clamor to "shut it down, NOW!" than there is when they are from the left.

While you may perceive spiritual danger from those on the left, there is the added specter of physical danger from those on the extreme right. It's not just about ideology, it's also about violence. 

42 minutes ago, rongo said:

I see no issue with the church removing her mormon.org profile from their website but I haven't seen a lot of people clamoring for her immediate excommunication either. I tried to watch her most viewed youtube video and read through her twitter. It was impossible for me to watch a 29 minute video of her rambling. She claims she was an SJW in her past and she seems to have taken the pendulum swing all the way to the other extreme. She conflates race with culture and blames feminism for the rise in immigration in Europe. Huh? I think any clamor for her to "shut it down" is because she is embarrassing. The fact that she has gotten so much publicity is because she comes from the alt right and critics of the church will grab on to anyone (no matter how insignificant) to show the church is racist.  I think her criticism of the Mormon rapper, in its ridiculousness, gained her attention and her broader racist statements invited further scrutiny.

Because of this publicity and because she feels her views are all being misrepresented, I don't think it would be inappropriate for her leaders to have a chat with her and clarify for her the teachings of the church and the comments she has made publicly that are not in harmony with these teachings. 

42 minutes ago, rongo said:

Have you read anything posted by the poster "Ayla"? She calls herself a Mormon alt-right, and that is her perogative. But you seem to be saying she should be given the same leeway as those who you classify as "left" to express her racist views.

It has nothing to do with either left or right "leeway". She posts "fake news" about differences....which she even attaches percentages to...about differences in brain sizes and intelligence between races. Her latest promotes the idea that whites need to birth more kids to ensure that whites don't become a minority in "their" land, the USA.

I consider myself "left" in my politics. If I ever uttered a racist comment here or anywhere else, I would expect to be called to task on it. I would expect a "shut it down,NOW".