Three Missionaries Injured in Blast

cdowis

Three Mormon missionaries serving in the France Paris Mission were seriously injured in Tuesday's explosion at the Brussels airport, a spokesman for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints said Tuesday morning.

The injured missionaries are Elder Richard Norby, 66, of Lehi, Utah; Elder Joseph Empey, 20, of Santa Clara, Utah; and Elder Mason Wells, 19, of Sandy, Utah.

The three men were taking Sister Fanny Rachel Clain, 20, of Montélimar, France, to the airport on her way to a mission assignment in Ohio, church spokesman Eric Hawkins said. Sister Clain had been serving in that mission while awaiting a permanent visa for the United States.

The four had passed through airport security when the explosion happened, killing 13 people.

Belgium Brussels Mission President Frederic J. Babin reported to church officials in Salt Lake City that the missionaries were near the explosion. They have been taken to a hospital.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865650629/3-LDS-missionaries-injured-in-Brussels-airport-explosion.html?pg=all

A similar topic has been merged with this one.

Need to be in prayer for three of our young missionaries were hurt seriously in bombing in Brussels. Be in pray for them and their parents. We still live in a very dangerous world. 

4 hours ago, Pa Pa said:

Need to be in prayer for three of our young missionaries were hurt seriously in bombing in Brussels. Be in pray for them and their parents. We still live in a very dangerous world. 

My prayers for them and their families.

Question: why didn't the Holy Ghost tell one of them? I sometimes hear testimonies of the Holy Ghost warning some LDS of physical danger.

I ask because I want to know how can we tell the difference between miracles and chance. If God is responsible for all the good that happens, is he also responsible for all the bad too?

Poster suspended for a long time.

9 minutes ago, Pa Pa said:

I agree.  This is very sad.  My thoughts and prayers are with these missionaries and their loved ones.

6 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

True, but why didn't the Holy Ghost tell one of them? I sometimes hear testimonies of the Holy Ghost warning some LDS of physical danger.

Really?  That's out of line.

10 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

True, but why didn't the Holy Ghost tell one of them? I sometimes hear testimonies of the Holy Ghost warning some LDS of physical danger.

You should read the Book of Mormon, because it does have an answer for situations like this:

But Alma said unto him: The Spirit constraineth me that I must not stretch forth mine hand; for behold the Lord receiveth them up unto himself, in glory; and he doth suffer that they may do this thing, or that the people may do this thing unto them, according to the hardness of their hearts, that the judgments which he shall exercise upon them in his wrath may be just; and the blood of the innocent shall stand as a witness against them, yea, and cry mightily against them at the last day.

Alma 14:11

So, no.  Perhaps the Holy Ghost didn't tell them.  And that was according to God's plan.

8 minutes ago, revelstoked said:

So, no.  Perhaps the Holy Ghost didn't tell them.  And that was according to God's plan.

thanks for answering my question. So if all the positives and negatives are God's plan, how can we tell  when something good happens that it is a miracle of God?

Edited by TheSkepticChristian
1 minute ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

Why? Is my sincere question apostasy? Did I make fun of them?

No. I though the spiritual death was worst than physical death. I asked a question help me.

I never said apostasy. Just inappropriate. It comes off as blaming the victim.

It is in the Eternal sense. In the mortal sense it is still murder, and violation of Agency for God to stop someone from doing evil.

1 minute ago, thesometimesaint said:

I never said apostasy. Just inappropriate. It comes off as blaming the victim.

It is in the Eternal sense. In the mortal sense it is still murder, and violation of Agency for God to stop someone from doing evil.

I never blamed the victim, I am simply trying to tell the difference between miracles and chance.

So why do so some LDS tell stories of God helping them avoid a violent attack? 

Does God intervene yes or no? and how can we tell the difference.

36 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

Question: why didn't the Holy Ghost tell one of them? I sometimes hear testimonies of the Holy Ghost warning some LDS of physical danger.

I ask because I want to know how can we tell the difference between miracles and chance. If God is responsible for all the good that happens, is he also responsible for all the bad too?

Maybe they were warned by the Holy Ghost, and thus avoided being killed.

If the Holy Ghost didn't tell them. it is Gods' fault. If the Missionaries didn't listen it is their fault. Nice damned if you, and damned if you don't argument you have going there.

Who knows?  Why didn't Jesus cure everyone's problems?

False dichotomy. God allows us our Agency. Even our Agency to hurt others.

15 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

thanks for answering my question. So if all the positives and negatives are God's plan, how can we tell  when something good happens that it is a miracle of God?

Ultimately the best answer is to pray and ask yourself.  With real intent.

This answer won't persuade a skeptic, it wasn't meant to.  This relies on an act of faith, which is fundamentally opposed to skepticism.

7 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

I never blamed the victim, I am simply trying to tell the difference between miracles and chance.

Sometimes God will intervene if it is not contrary to His plan for us. In most cases we can't tell the difference, we just remain thankful to Him and recognize His hand in all good things that happen to us and for those not so good things He allows to happen that help us learn and grow.

4 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

The difference between a miracle and God just allowing things to happen without causing them to happen?  Really? You really don't understand the difference?

A miracle is something God does, with God himself as the cause of what happens, and the difference between what God does and what other people do is who causes something to happen.

In this example God did not blow those people up in that airport or cause the injuries to those who were hurt by the bomb blasts. Not even if he did not tell those missionaries that those people were wearing bombs and about to blow themselves up. He did not cause that to happen. 

Would you now like to take a guess at who caused those people to blow themselves up?

Hint: It was not their mortal parents who gave birth to them, either.

56 minutes ago, TheSkepticChristian said:

Who cares about something like this when these family are in such pain? Want to talk about, "I wonder"...I wonder why people want to kill others!