I Hate Mice

Calm

Two full floors to clean.

Peanut butter does not work in traps. They just lick it off.

Urgh, ugh.

I think we will do take out (because our daughter has a nasty cold) for Thanksgiving. Luckily no one is coming over. I can just spend the day in sterlizing the pantry again.

Urgh, ugh.

I think we will do take out (because our daughter has a nasty cold) for Thanksgiving. Luckily no one is coming over. I can just spend the day in sterlizing the pantry again.

For mice don't use traps.  There is a product called BarBait Put it out under cabinets and in places pets and children can't get it and your mice are gone.

Unfortunately the places they hit first are places the dog can get to so unless I want half of a house full of poop first, the traps have to go in the main floor bathroom (best place for catching them, when we no longer have a pet I will just constantly keep a loaded trap in an attractive looking cover box there as the hole is up high and they come down on the trap), the pantry where they always head, my bathroom which has a pocket door so no way to plug up and I forgot to freshen up the peppermint I usually keep stuffed in the cracks and my old bedroom which has another gap in the wall in the closet and used to be the one place I could keep a preemptive strike but it is now the study/lego room so no more.

Unfortunately my husband always leaves the main floor bathroom door open, even the last two nights (thankfully the dog doesn't like peanut butter and even that works there plus I block getting to the trap easily with a heavy stone wastebasket), when he knows the trap is there and I have a big "keep closed" on the door so there is no way I can keep a preventive trap there.

I don't like poisons because Grandma would swear by them and I would be the one finding a half dozen corpses every spring when I'd clean her basement. They discouloured the cement floor no matter how hard I scrubbed too.

This year I was preoccupied with Mom and didn't get the traps out first sign of scratching in the walls. And I knew with the warmth lasting long and the cold suddenly hitting we would be getting them as those kinds of years are always guaranteed.

Edited by Calm

I will try that if the hard cheese doesn't work in the areas I've blocked the dog from getting to...unfortunately the best place, the main floor bathroom I can't block, but like I said before even peanut butter works there.

I think I will use bacon on the one in my bathroom, maybe put one in the laundry as well just in case it didn't get back into the pocket door to sleep.

Man, it makes me jumpy. I think all the creaky noises means a mouse is around and my bed is currently resting on the ground in my new bedroom---perfect height for sitting on for socks, etc. and makes it easy to pick up blankets that I push off at night in my kicking feet marathons. Old bedframe was metal which coldburned my feet since I got neuropathy. I loved that bed. Made the best space ship because we could hold on to the post and make it really jiggle. And I could make a tent to sleep in with its canopy. Best Grandma bed. Even trying to climb up into it and off was an adventure. Sigh.

Okay. Caught my breath. Back to cleaning.

Try chocolate in the traps. I hate mice too. Have you tried those ultrasonic devices which are supposed to scare them away?

Did it for bugs in the basement where it wouldn't annoy us (bad hearing but last time I tried them I could still hear them up close). We never get mice in the basement (just floods)...very strange...the person who finished it off must have done a better job of it.

However, it could work in the pantry and the main floor bathroom because I can close the doors so won't hear it and may not annoy the dog.

Mice are quite cute and if they pooped outside, I wouldn't mind them living in the walls at all. It is the poop and them walking through everything with their probably dirty paws that the thought of makes me ill.

I have put up with the cat and now our dog peeing inside (she can hold her bladder tons longer then we have patience to train her for outside and always uses the pee pad...save when she is sick or mad at us over overnight guests or us going on vacation or other territorial issues she has) and try to pretend their feet and our shoes aren't spreading urine and crap in microscopic amounts all over the house because of their help to my daughter's emotional health, but now she is better and we know for sure who is cleaning up after the dog most of the time and walking it (hint: not her), we won't be getting another one and when that happens, carpets will be cleaned, if not replaced, floors all sterilised and shoes will be once more to be taken off upon entry (slippers supplied upon asking ;) ).

we know for sure who is cleaning up after the dog most of the time and walking it (hint: not her), we won't be getting another one and when that happens, carpets will be cleaned, if not replaced, floors all sterilised and shoes will be once more to be taken off upon entry (slippers supplied upon asking ;) ).

Here in the Pacific Northwest with all of our rain and mud, it is just natural for people to take off their shoes when they enter a home... so, when my mom was alive she used to supply me with knitted booties for my guests... which I kept in a pretty basket by the front entry... they loved it... tootsies stayed warm... carpets stayed clean...

GG

Edit to Add... Before I got my Bobby-cat, for about ten years I had a cat named "Charlie" who was an indoor/outdoor cat (as opposed to Bob who is strictly indoors).  Like Bob, he was very smart (I thought I'd never have another cat as smart, but Bob is even smarter).

Anyway, I used to leave the door leading to the deck cracked open so Charlie could go in and out (he used to jump onto the lower deck railing, and from there jump up another five feet to the upper deck, in between the slats of the railing... quite a feat).  I gave him a little gray fake mouse to play with, which he promptly ignored and would just leave lying on the living room floor.  One day I came home and lying right beside the fake mouse was a little gray field mouse that Charlie had caught and brought in to me... as if to say... Now THIS is a mouse!! 

GG

Edited by Garden Girl

I don't like the bait method either. It might kill them but then you have the smell of a dead mouse that you cannot find.

You have to go outside and look for any possible entrances into the house (walls, basement, garage, roof) inside and out and seal them up. Have food in one place that you can close up tight. Food storage should be in cans or sealed in thick plastic containers. 

Have food in one place that you can close up tight. Food storage should be in cans or sealed in thick plastic containers.

Yeah, we tried finding the outside holes. Too much porch and now deck to be sure. I am relatively certain they come in where there was a fake chimney (they ran out of money building the house), but no obvious holes and it goes down deep and narrow.

So I keep open the two holes I know of inside so I can trap them easy and they won't chew out ones I can't find.

You should come over and give a lecture to my husband with his stash of crackers and instant oatmeal downstairs where he watches TV. He will be sure and point out that is the one place we have never found evidence of mice. Instead the mice like bedrooms, laundry and bathrooms outside of the pantry. Go figure.

Plus the pantry door is constantly left open. No food is allowed in bottom cupboards or drawers so I think we avoid mice in there. Reminds me I have to check rather than just assume.

Laundry room is clean. Now I just have to figure out where all the clean clothes are supposed to go (no one but me puts away towels or bedsheets, they pile up).

Edited by Calm

Urgh, ugh.

If one were to gather all the great scientists of the world into one place, and if they were supplied with great laboratories and unlimited funds, and if from scratch they were given the goal to create just one living mouse, no matter how hard they tried they just couldn't do it. Compared to any of the great things scientists have yet created, one lowly field mouse, looking for shelter from winter's wicked cold in the warmth of your humble domicile, is infinitely greater than them all. Yet without mercy or any consideration for just how miraculous they are, you want to heartlessly "fake out" these cute furry creatures with peanut butter, only have a spring-loaded band of metal inhumanely snap down to crush their dear little necks as they squeal in unspeakable agony. And if you just happen to kill a mommy mouse, the children will slowly starve or die of thirst as they pitifully cry out, "mommy, mommy where are you?" I knew you were a "hard-edged" gal, Cal, but this callous disregard for the sacredness of non-human life forms is beyond the pale, even for you! I'm putting you on ignore.

P.S. Try some Velveeta, some mice are suckers for processed 'American cheese food.'

If one were to gather all the great scientists of the world into one place, and if they were supplied with great laboratories and unlimited funds, and if from scratch they were given the goal to create just one living mouse, no matter how hard they tried they just couldn't do it. Compared to any of the great things scientists have yet created, one lowly field mouse, looking for shelter from winter's wicked cold in the warmth of your humble domicile, is infinitely greater than them all. Yet without mercy or any consideration for just how miraculous they are, you want to heartlessly "fake out" these cute furry creatures with peanut butter, only have a spring-loaded band of metal inhumanely snap down to crush their dear little necks as they squeal in unspeakable agony. And if you just happen to kill a mommy mouse, the children will slowly starve or die of thirst as they pitifully cry out, "mommy, mommy where are you?" I knew you were a "hard-edged" gal, Cal, but this callous disregard for the sacredness of non-human life forms is beyond the pale, even for you! I'm putting you on ignore.

P.S. Try some Velveeta, some mice are suckers for processed 'American cheese food.'

I will never look at a mouse the same way again. "God save the mice!"

I murdered dozens of insects today. Guess I am damned. ;)