Stargazer Posted October 14, 2015 Posted October 14, 2015 (edited) I'll check her out. The only book I've ever read with a dragon is LOTR. It's the Dragon Riders of Pern series. Anne McCaffrey was named the 22nd Grand Master by the Science Fiction and Fantasy Writers of America. Unfortunately, she is no longer with us -- she died in 2011. I didn't realize this until just now when I looked her up on Wikipedia. Edited October 14, 2015 by Stargazer
bluebell Posted October 20, 2015 Posted October 20, 2015 I just finished "A Bolt from the Blue" by Jennifer Woodlief. It's the true story of a 13 person climbing group (non professional climbers who were friends and family on a fun outing) which was struck by lightening in 2003 a few hundred feet from the summit of the Grand in Teton National Park. It killed one person instantly and severely injured 3 others, with some others being seriously injured. In many ways the survival of so many is miraculous. The rescue by the Teton rangers became one of the best to ever occur in the nation-the rangers involved received numerous medals for heroism. The book was good, the story was impressive (and the people involved were from Idaho Falls so some were LDS) and the end was touching. The writing is a little difficult to get thru some times. She tends to give way to much information (be prepared for chapters dealing extensively and almost exclusively on lightening, as well as each ranger's personal back story). Sometimes it felt like I was reading a term paper where the author was desperate to get a certain number of pages done and put in anything at all even remotely relevant to reach their goal. Once you get into the book though, it becomes addictive.
JLHPROF Posted October 20, 2015 Posted October 20, 2015 (edited) Currently reading - Conflict in the Quorum by Bergera (and reworking my way through some of the Journal of Discourses). And Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. Edited November 4, 2015 by JLHPROF
jkwilliams Posted October 20, 2015 Posted October 20, 2015 Currently reading "A Peace to End All Peace: The Fall of the Ottoman Empire and the Creation of the Modern Middle East."
Stargazer Posted October 23, 2015 Posted October 23, 2015 My daughter-in-law informed me recently that her brother was married to a woman who had had a 20-year career in the US Air Force, retired, and then started writing science fiction. She published her first novel in 2012, and followed it up with two sequels. What kind of a relationship is daughter-in-law's sister-in-law anyway? Well, whatever, I decided for the sake of family solidarity that I would buy the entire trilogy and see if she could actually write (they are self-published, so you know how that goes). What a surprise to discover that the first chapter in the book had me riveted and wondering what was going to happen next! I don't know if the good writing is going to hold for the entire trilogy, but it will be interesting to see if it does. Apparently she spent 7 years writing the first book, and I don't know if that was between other projects or not, but I suspect so. The trilogy is called "The Sergey Chronicles" and the entire trilogy is available as a single unit on Kindle. It's military science fiction (my favorite subgenre), in case you're interested.
bluebell Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 Finished "Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Places on Earth" by James M. Tabor. It's about supercaves (caves that are thousands of feet deep and several miles in length, sometimes taking as much as a week to get from the mouth to the deepest point) and how two different caves (one in Mexico and one in Georgia in the Ukraine) vied to become the deepest cave in the world. I've always loved caving and this book was incredibly interesting. 1
ERayR Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 Finished "Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Places on Earth" by James M. Tabor. It's about supercaves (caves that are thousands of feet deep and several miles in length, sometimes taking as much as a week to get from the mouth to the deepest point) and how two different caves (one in Mexico and one in Georgia in the Ukraine) vied to become the deepest cave in the world. I've always loved caving and this book was incredibly interesting. I would do alright in caves if the ceilings would quit lowering while I am in the cave. 1
bluebell Posted November 3, 2015 Posted November 3, 2015 I would do alright in caves if the ceilings would quit lowering while I am in the cave. I actually suffer from claustrophobia a little bit so i was surprised that i do as well in caves as i do (or have in the past-it's been years since i've been in a non commercialized cave). I've never been in a wet cave though (that wasn't commercialized) and i don't think i would enjoy that at all. Dark water freaks me out.
Calm Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 It is the smell that gets me. I am so ticked. I really like the idea of exploring caves....and climbing rocks and skydiving.Things to look forward to in the celestial life when I won't have any more phobias. 1
Daniel2 Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 (edited) Two quick questions for the social hall about books: 1) What are your all-time favorite books?My favorite books in the following categories are:LDS (other than scripture): Teachings of the Prophet Joseph SmithSecular non-fiction: Scyld & Scef by Alexander BruceSecular fiction: The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour 2) What books are you currently reading? 1. My Favorite Books: LDS: Believing Christ: The Parable of the Bicycle and Other Good News Are Mormons Christian? (both by Stephen Robinson) Key to the Science of Theology by Parley P. Pratt (LOVED this one as a recently-returned missionary--I had to dig to find it at an old used bookstore on Main Street in downtown Provo--nice to see it's now been reprinted as of 2012) Secular Non-Fiction: Hymns to an Unknown God by Sam Keen The Four Agreements: A Practical Guide to Personal Freedom by Don Miguel Ruiz The Power of Myth by Joseph Campbell The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark by Carl Sagan Secular Fiction: To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis The Prophet by Kahlil Gibran The Neverending Story By Michael Ende The Velveteen Rabbit by Margery Williams 2) What I'm reading right now: Dog Food Logic: Making Smart Decisions for your Dog in an Age of too Many Choices by Linda Case If a Dog's Prayers were Answered: Bones would Rain from the Sky by Suzanne Clothier (And just for kicks, the titles are hyperlinks on Amazon.... haha) Edited November 4, 2015 by Daniel2
Daniel2 Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 My all-time favorite fiction books are- -Gone With The Wind-The Lord of the Rings-Watership Down-Memoirs of a Geisha-Where the Red Fern Grows-The Neverending Story-Harry Potter-Charlotte's Web-James and the Giant Peach-The Indian in the Cupboard-Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nimh Wow, Bluebell!!! We are SOOOO on the same page, here.... you can come read by ME! lol That list is virtually identical to my favorites that I loved when I was younger... Great taste! 1
Rivers Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 Another favorite book of mine is Les MiserablesIt's on Terryl and Fiona Givens' top ten list.http://m.deseretnews.com/top/1117/0/10-must-read-books-recommended-by-co-authors-Terryl-and-Fiona-Givens.html
Garden Girl Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 Currently reading - Conflict in the Quorum by Bergera (and reworking my way through some of the Journal of Discourses). And Go Set A Watchman by Harper Lee. When did she write this book, JLHP? I wasn't aware she wrote anything besides TKAM... GG
bluebell Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 Wow, Bluebell!!! We are SOOOO on the same page, here.... you can come read by ME! lol That list is virtually identical to my favorites that I loved when I was younger... Great taste! Let me know of your fiction recommendations then because i am in a fiction drought right now. It's good to meet my book twin.
JLHPROF Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 When did she write this book, JLHP? I wasn't aware she wrote anything besides TKAM... GG https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_Set_a_Watchman It was written before TKAM - it's a first draft really, but kind of being marketed as a sequel. It was published this year (July 14th) but was written back in 1957.
Daniel2 Posted November 4, 2015 Posted November 4, 2015 Let me know of your fiction recommendations then because i am in a fiction drought right now. It's good to meet my book twin. Have you read all of the "Chronicles of Narnia"? Thumbs up or thumbs down? As for other fantasy fiction that I recommend: The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews (yes, THE Julie Andrews... aka Maria Von Trapp and Mary Poppins) Alpha Centauri by Robert Spiegel Hero from Otherwhere by Jay Williams The Winds of Altair by Ben Bova (this one SOUNDS sci-fi, but it's really far more sci-fantasy... weaves some great religious themes into the story, as well) 2
bluebell Posted November 5, 2015 Posted November 5, 2015 Have you read all of the "Chronicles of Narnia"? Thumbs up or thumbs down? As for other fantasy fiction that I recommend: The Last of the Really Great Whangdoodles by Julie Andrews (yes, THE Julie Andrews... aka Maria Von Trapp and Mary Poppins) Alpha Centauri by Robert Spiegel Hero from Otherwhere by Jay Williams The Winds of Altair by Ben Bova (this one SOUNDS sci-fi, but it's really far more sci-fantasy... weaves some great religious themes into the story, as well) I will try to grab some of these my next library trip, thanks!
ERayR Posted November 5, 2015 Posted November 5, 2015 Let me know of your fiction recommendations then because i am in a fiction drought right now. It's good to meet my book twin. Do you like science fiction or fantasy?
Rivers Posted November 21, 2015 Posted November 21, 2015 I am currently reading The 7-day Christian by Brad Wilcox. With all of these controversial and contentious issues in the air, it is refreshing to read something that gets at the heart of what's most important in religion.
VideoGameJunkie Posted November 21, 2015 Posted November 21, 2015 I just finished My Walk Thru Heaven by Kim Rives. It was very good about an LDS woman who had cancer and a near death experience. It was a powerful read.
Tacenda Posted November 22, 2015 Posted November 22, 2015 I just finished "left for dead" by Beck Weathers. He was the guy who was basically frozen on Mt. Everest during the storm in May 1996 and was left for dead (with another woman, who did die) and he just woke up out of a hypothermic coma for no known reason and walked back to his tent a day after being left. He lost his hands, his nose, and parts of his feet, and it took the worlds highest helicopter rescue (around 20,000 feet if i remember right) to get him down off of the mountain because it was impossible to climb down the Kumbu Icefall without using hands. The book is mostly about his relationship with his wife and family, how much of a toll mountain climbing took on it, and how he moved one after May 1996. It was inspiring and educational.After recently seeing "Everest", this looks like a good book.
Tacenda Posted November 22, 2015 Posted November 22, 2015 I don't know about that being an age thing. I went to see Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds when it was first in the theaters, and I had to leave the showing around the middle of it because I was scared spitless and my guts hurt. I was about 12. Since then I have never had any interest in horror flicks.It bothered me as a child also.
Tacenda Posted November 22, 2015 Posted November 22, 2015 Finished "Blind Descent: The Quest to Discover the Deepest Places on Earth" by James M. Tabor. It's about supercaves (caves that are thousands of feet deep and several miles in length, sometimes taking as much as a week to get from the mouth to the deepest point) and how two different caves (one in Mexico and one in Georgia in the Ukraine) vied to become the deepest cave in the world. I've always loved caving and this book was incredibly interesting.You need to see Timpanogus Cave if you haven't already, recently went...loved the tour guide on our cave tour.
Recommended Posts