Seriously No Politics ×

Elder Perry Hospitalized

I love Elder Perry.  He's the very personification of optimism and cheer. :)

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but I have to ask...

You have lived 92 good years, traveled the world, helped people come closer to Christ- why get radiation? Why not call it a live well lived, and move on to your next stage of eternal progression?

You have lived 92 good years, traveled the world, helped people come closer to Christ- why get radiation? Why not call it a live well lived, and move on to your next stage of eternal progression?

Thyroid cancer is usually easily and successfully treated. It is not one of those situations where the cure is almost worse than the disease.

I don't see why someone should be denied or forego treatment based solely on their age. If they are otherwise healthy and there is a fix for the situation, shouldn't one be able to choose that? Or should we cut off health care after some abitrarily chosen age?

Thyroid cancer is usually easily and successfully treated. It is not one of those situations where the cure is almost worse than the disease.

I don't see why someone should be denied or forego treatment based solely on their age. If they are otherwise healthy and there is a fix for the situation, shouldn't one be able to choose that? Or should we cut off health care after some abitrarily chosen age?

That escalated quickly. I said nothing of denying treatment. I was just pondering- if you know you have lived a good life, and are pretty sure you have finished the race well, why not just allow yourself to drift off into eternity and rest? Why do we humans fight and scratch for every last breath?

That was my first thought. Then I thought perhaps he is not quit yet finished with his mission in life.

Because radiation of the thyroid is very localised (due to the radioactive iodine only being absorbed by thyroid cells) and has limited side effects and if successful prevents the possibility of a painful death from the cancer spreading to other parts of the body as well as choking off his airway due to growth of the cancer (off the top of my head).

Plus thyroid problems (which I assume cancer would tend to cause...I am talking about changes in thyroid hormone productions) can make life a hell given our daughter's experience. Why suffer needlessly?

http://www.cancer.org/cancer/thyroidcancer/detailedguide/thyroid-cancer-treating-radioactive-iodine

It is more than likely a quality of life decision rather than extending it.

No. The LDS church will embrace SSM before allowing an non-white male into the Quorum.

Well that was hateful.

Valentinus...

Don't kid yourself... We have blacks coming into the Seventy, along with Asian, Hispanic, etc etc... It may take a while to happen, but it will happen. 

GG

There is a Brazilian President of the Seventies...is that one or two steps away for the Quorum of Apostles?  

Looks like at least a third of the 1st Quorum are nonwhite (nonEuropean heritage) according to their names.

Valentinus...

Don't kid yourself... We have blacks coming into the Seventy, along with Asian, Hispanic, etc etc... It may take a while to happen, but it will happen. 

GG

I'm not. Just because one is an auxiliary leader does not mean they'll become a general authority. Lets be real.

I won't be holding my breath for a Ghanaian or Brazilian apostle. If it happens within the next decade then all I can say is it's about time.

I'm not. Just because one is an auxiliary leader does not mean they'll become a general authority. Lets be real.

I won't be holding my breath for a Ghanaian or Brazilian apostle. If it happens within the next decade then all I can say is it's about time.

Yeah let's give some one a job because their race instead of their qualifications. That always works out so well.

Archived