Inter-Faith Marriage Books/helps

Ham Clam

My LDS friend married a Baptist guy last year. There is some religious conflict there so I was looking for some resources to help them.

Know a good inter-faith book? All the ones are older or don't seem to cover the situation (since Mormonism and Protestantism overlap more than the mainly Jewish-Christian books out there).

... or is there something else.  

Somebody has to yield. The kids come along and they don't need to have their parents tugging them in different directions. I would be curious as well if there is such a thing as a handbook to make interfaith marriage work best. It seems to me like one of the spouses has to yield. I wish them all the best, but I never think it is a good idea to marry if both persons are firmly committed to different faiths.

I know people in my own church for whom it has worked because the husband yielded and converted to Catholicism. I am not familiar with a situation where the wife yielded although I am sure it has happened.

I think it will be her -- to at least some extent. She has a controlling streak that she needs to learn to handle. My friend is also somewhat of a black-and-white thinking person when it comes to religion so that doesn't help. Of course, he hasn't put in much effort into finding a Baptist church to go to lately, so not totally his fault that they haven't been doing his religious thing more often.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just trying to use the book to prove that doing both of their things is important and to move her out of her comfort zone so more advances can happen.

I did buy 'Claiming Christ: A Mormon-Evangelical Debate' and 'Bridging the Divide'  with Robert Millet for them for Christmas ... by then I just kept them. :unsure: I'm not sure if my friend is advanced enough (as it's hard for her to talk about religion). Maybe I'll go through parts of the books with them.

I just really want things to go well for my best friend.

This is off topic, but I was also wondering how to put a YouTube video onto a post?

Use the "Insert Link" function.  The Icon is right next to the "Insert Bulleted List" and "Insert Numbered List" Icons after you click "Reply."  Has anyone mentioned http://faceseast.org?

Edited by Kenngo1969

This is also a little off-topic, but I'll mention it nevertheless.

My exit from the Reorganized LDS (a.k.a. Community of Christ)

was partly due to repeated Priesthood counsel and efforts to

convert my Jewish wife to Latter Day Saintism.

We never had any pressure or trouble from my wife's "people."

They were rather accepting and didn't seem to mind that I was

not one of them.

But, perhaps the proverbial "straw that broke the camel's back"

was when a few people of the Jewish faith were invited to a meeting

here where I live -- and the RLDS pastor opened with Christian

prayer, and inserted Christian hymns at a point in the meeting, just

before the Jewish speakers were invited to the podium.

To them, calling a man by any title reserved for The Almighty is

blasphemous -- and referring to Jesus as "The Redeemer of Israel"

was outright idolatry.

My wife never went back to the Reorganized LDS meeting-house here,

and I doubt that her Jewish associates were ever invited back again

(after they refused to participate in the hymn singing).

A Seventy I spoke with later pretty much laid down the law: "Continue

to work on converting your wife to the One True Church, or understand

what disobedience will mean for you..."

I eventually opted for the latter.

I hope that inter-faith marriages among the LDS do not meet with such problems.

UD

I am on my iPad so don't have the options, but put your cursor over the little icons and I think there is a media one...though it could be the picture, I think that is just for static images. Experiment until you find the right one. :)

Will that just insert a link to take people to the YouTube page? I'm looking to have the player itself in the post.

heck, I just say what I need to and then copy and shift/insert the video on here, just like this!

Edited by Duncan

My LDS friend married a Baptist guy last year. There is some religious conflict there so I was looking for some resources to help them.

Know a good inter-faith book? All the ones are older or don't seem to cover the situation (since Mormonism and Protestantism overlap more than the mainly Jewish-Christian books out there).

... or is there something else.  

The best thing to help them is to tell them to respect each others choice of religion.  When they were married the knew their religions were different and it didn't make any difference then so why does it make a difference now?  It seems they have some other issues.