Funeral Revelation And Inspiration

theplains

I had a question about something mentioned on page 50 of "Mine Errand from the Lord" 

by Boyd K. Packer.

He said, "I know of no meeting where the congregation is in a better state of readiness

to receive revelation and inspiration from a speaker than they are at a funeral".

Why would a funeral be a better place than a temple or General Conference meeting?

Thanks,

Jim

I had a question about something mentioned on page 50 of "Mine Errand from the Lord" 
by Boyd K. Packer.

He said, "I know of no meeting where the congregation is in a better state of readiness
to receive revelation and inspiration from a speaker than they are at a funeral".

Why would a funeral be a better place than a temple or General Conference meeting?

Thanks,
Jim

For me, “no better” means many are likely just as good, but just different.

Temple ordinances are not meetings, and there is no speaker in the sense we have them at a funeral or General Conference.

“State of readiness” refers to the congregation as a whole—all are there after sharing a common, uniting life (death) experience. With the temple or General Conference, the congregation comes with varying degrees of association and differing experiences in the days prior.

Thanks,

Jim

I think it could be taken two ways: the good way, or the bad way.

The "good" way would be that the Spirit is strong, and people are focused on thinking about eternal matters (especially their own eternal condition and who they will be spending it with). Ergo, they are more likely to be open to hearing about "families are forever", and that we can overcome sins through the atonement.

The "bad" way would be that people tend to be emotionally, spiritually and mentally exhausted when a loved one dies, and such a condition may make them more amenable to joining a new Church that promises "families are forever" etc.

by Boyd K. Packer.

Thanks,

Jim

Funeral's bring closer to the veil and make it thinner than ever, as it brings to mind our standing with God, and for the speaker the need to speak the words that can heal to breaking hearts of the loved and lost.