Mormon Women In Combat

EllenMaksoud

I just heard that the Pentagon has changed its rules about women in combat and will now allow it. I just want to say that I have seen enough men come back from combat that are hurt and suffering from their experiences. I never want to see that in another woman. From what I know about the situation, it has to be about the money. Women now make up 27% of the military.

More disturbing to me is that I know a young Mormon woman who is a missionary who plans to enlist in the Military when her calling is finished. I am in shock and can not imagine how this ever could happen. It is well documented that the hygiene needs alone of women in field operations is a big pain in the neck for them.

What a travesty!

I just heard that the Pentagon has changed its rules about women in combat and will now allow it. I just want to say that I have seen enough men come back from combat that are hurt and suffering from their experiences. I never want to see that in another woman. From what I know about the situation, it has to be about the money. Women now make up 27% of the military.

More disturbing to me is that I know a young Mormon woman who is a missionary who plans to enlist in the Military when her calling is finished. I am in shock and can not imagine how this ever could happen. It is well documented that the hygiene needs alone of women in field operations is a big pain in the neck for them.

What a travesty!

So scary, I wonder if women will have a choice to fight in combat or not once enlisted in that particular department. Edited by Tacenda

What a travesty!

No woman should ever be sent into direct combat, pilots yes, no fae to face. But what if that woman was captured by an enemy who uses rape as a form of torture? It is bad enough war happens but to send a woman (the only earthly means of civilizing men) into combatis vulgar. This come from those who see men and women alike. We did have female medivac which was OK, war is not place for any woman. Sorry guys my age and experience will not allow me to change my position on this issue. Also itis a known fact that men will forget their objectives to save a woman....if he had a good father.
:girl_devil: There's combat and then there's COMBAT. If physical,emotional, and other standards are maintained and not adjusted then women should be able to slog through the blood and guts and swamps and deserts and jungles . Lack of real combat experience probably holds women back in the promotion department. Equality in the military,as with other occupations,is a two edged sword. Edited by blackstrap

But what if that woman was captured by an enemy who uses rape as a form of torture?

Men can be raped as well.

I think in any job where someone else's life is hanging in the balance, women should have to meet the same standards considered necessary for men (not just lowering standards all around, but maintaining standards thought important to the job...like being able to carry a full grown man if necessary for paramedics and fire fighters, being able to carry supplies, guns and ammo for oneself in combat, be able to run after and take down a full grown man for police etc.)

Edited by calmoriah

I remember that Alyssa Petersen? I think her name was . She was an RM, and was in The Middle East in interrogations det. and she committed suicide. Sad news all around. I don't like the idea of anyone in combat, having lost several family members in various campaigns and having some "shell shocked" and other problems

I just read a news article claiming that now that women have been granted the right to fight in combat, there is no legal way to exclude them from having to register for the draft.

Very soon 18 year old girls will probably be forced to register just as boys are, and will be drafted with males if it ever comes to that again.

Edit to add the article- http://news.yahoo.com/women-combat-register-draft-225900518.html

Edited by bluebell

I just read a news article claiming that now that women have been granted the right to fight in combat, there is no legal way to exclude them from having to register for the draft.

Very soon 18 year old girls will probably be forced to register just as boys are, and will be drafted with males if it ever comes to that again.

Edit to add the article- http://news.yahoo.co...-225900518.html

It just feels so evil to me, evil and wrong. However, Israel has both men and women in the Military, though what roles they fill, I have no idea. The Russians used women in WWII and the Germans feared them more than the men. They took no prisoners.

On second thought, if women are fighting alongside men, maybe war will be so horrible that humans will stop having war?

Edit to add the article- http://news.yahoo.com/women-combat-register-draft-225900518.html

Drafting men was bad enough. That day will hopefully never come.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but have lived a good long time. I have wondered if our present economic situation is created by some very rich people for their own purposes. Now days, the sorts of jobs I had as a young person are just not available. I do not call working at a fast food place a job. That is slavery. When I was younger, I made good money and had health insurance and a retirement plan. Who has that now days.

Having said all that, I wonder if the desperate economic circumstances force the young to enlist in the Military because of the promises of college and other benefits.

There are certain key people who are accumulating their wealth in an unprecedented amount. What are they set to force upon us?

This is interesting because women can now be in combat specific roles, such as infantry or combat engineer. That is not to say they have not been in combat situations already.

I could only see this working if there are all female companies, battalions or brigades. The physical differences alone would make it hard for men and women to fight in a combat situation. Women can, however, wear full battle rattle and carry their m4. They already do that anyway. It is just in a Combat situation where they have to go over walls or like previously stated go through jungles it could be a problem.

Rape is already prevalent in the military, put women in a constant combat situation that would only get worse.

Females and males all need to be considered of equal values. Just because a woman is captured we should not put more effort into saving her then a man. An example of that was the Jessica Lynch rescue. It sounds harsh and makes me a little sad to say but it is the only way it would work.

This is interesting because women can now be in combat specific roles, such as infantry or combat engineer. That is not to say they have not been in combat situations already.

I could only see this working if there are all female companies, battalions or brigades. The physical differences alone would make it hard for men and women to fight in a combat situation. Women can, however, wear full battle rattle and carry their m4. They already do that anyway. It is just in a Combat situation where they have to go over walls or like previously stated go through jungles it could be a problem.

Rape is already prevalent in the military, put women in a constant combat situation that would only get worse.

Females and males all need to be considered of equal values. Just because a woman is captured we should not put more effort into saving her then a man. An example of that was the Jessica Lynch rescue. It sounds harsh and makes me a little sad to say but it is the only way it would work.

The rate of rape of women in the Military is extremely high. Due to having volunteered at the VA Hospital and having had considerable care there myself, I know that at least 33% or more of the women in the military get raped. I think it is due to the fact that you take a male full of testosterone and put him in a stressful situation, and when a woman is available he will take out his sexual aggression on her. In a scientific sense sex is aggression.

It is not fair to the men or the women.

Further, you are going to take a woman from the field who has killed a dozen taliban, bring her home and expect her to get married and have children just like that? HAH ! I've seen a lot of very damaged women at the VA.

The rate of rape of women in the Military is extremely high. Due to having volunteered at the VA Hospital and having had considerable care there myself, I know that at least 33% or more of the women in the military get raped. I think it is due to the fact that you take a male full of testosterone and put him in a stressful situation, and when a woman is available he will take out his sexual aggression on her. In a scientific sense sex is aggression.

I agree with most of what you said and take your word on the rest. That is why there needs to be all female units of some form.

Further, you are going to take a woman from the field who has killed a dozen taliban, bring her home and expect her to get married and have children just like that? HAH ! I've seen a lot of very damaged women at the VA.

A messed up father can cause just as much damage as a messed up mother.

I just want to make clear I do agree with this decision. Women should also be required to sign up for the selective service. It is also my view that everybody should be required to serve their country, like Israel .

Just read something interesting, people were commenting that it may make our leaders more hesitant to go to war. What do you think about that?

My brother rarely cries, but when he was in training, he came back to the barracks and it had been trashed, plus a female soldier had been raped. He sobbed in a way my mom had never heard before.

What a travesty!

An excellent decision by Secretary Panetta!

For the most part this will not result in assignment changes, but will allow women already in frontline combat operations to get credit for it, and thus allow them to advance in rank the same way men do now.

This also does not mean that women will get drafted. Men no longer get drafted. It is an all-volunteer army, and enlistees and officers can usually pick which specialty they want to pursue (after taking an aptitude test prior to enlisting).

Women might prefer flying transport planes, or remote controlled drones, performing medical tasks, logistics, IT & intel analysis, cryptography, etc. However, some women can fly combat aircraft, and take part in security ops with automatic weapons (as some of them do now).

We have found that adding women to law enforcement was a huge and positive step, and many of them have risen to command positions. I had a female black sargeant who would check on me at 2 am, and (if it were a holiday occasion) would bring something to eat. I also had a captain who chewed me out in the nicest possible way, but was very effective.

If a woman can handle a job as well as a man, then why not give her the option? It's called free agency.

For the most part this will not result in assignment changes, but will allow women already in frontline combat operations to get credit for it, and thus allow them to advance in rank the same way men do now.

Anybody who steps foot in a war zone is considered a combat veteran, even if they sit in the FOB all day. They already get credit and women can get promoted like men. This will in no way change the way women advance in rank.

This also does not mean that women will get drafted. Men no longer get drafted. It is an all-volunteer army, and enlistees and officers can usually pick which specialty they want to pursue (after taking an aptitude test prior to enlisting).

Not sometimes, they always pick. Their ASVAB score determines what MOS they are eligible for. At least in the Army that is how it works.

"security ops with automatic weapons (as some of them do now)."

For the most part, everybody has a weapon in a war zone. You realize a m4 weighs like 5lbs, the first time I held one I thought it was like a toy. It does not take much to shoot either, just required to know SPORTS(acronym).

We have found that adding women to law enforcement was a huge and positive step, and many of them have risen to command positions.

I had a female black sargeant who would check on me at 2 am, and (if it were a holiday occasion) would bring something to eat. I also had a captain who chewed me out in the nicest possible way, but was very effective.

Already are great women leaders in the military.

Educate me where I am wrong.

Edited by tyler90az

I agree with most of what you said and take your word on the rest. That is why there needs to be all female units of some form.

A messed up father can cause just as much damage as a messed up mother.

I just want to make clear I do agree with this decision. Women should also be required to sign up for the selective service. It is also my view that everybody should be required to serve their country, like Israel .

Just read something interesting, people were commenting that it may make our leaders more hesitant to go to war. What do you think about that?

I think our country is about broke and our reputation overseas is in shambles. I think it is why France is doing the heavy lifting in Mali, and I say let them.

To the psychopath and sociopath, sex is agression. However, rapists usually rape not for sex, but for the purpose of domination. Like the racists who used to burn crosses and lynch black people, racists are usually inadequate (often even impotent) and choose the likeliest weak and vulnerable person to take their frustrations out on. Testosterone is not the culprit. Rape is merely a way of humiliating someone else, and women who do not report it (frequently the case) are actually aiding and abetting the criminal in his serial rapes.

Men are no more able to handle this sort of thing than women. PTSD haunts skid row, with half the homeless being Viet Nam vets. War is hell, but somebody has to do it.

Maybe we should start our children off right, with six days a week of martial arts lessons from first grade on up. That's the way they used to do it in Korea. The Republic of Korea requires all officers to be black belts, thus making them far more effective in combat (they fought with distinction beside our men in Viet Nam). I have had Karate instructors who were women, and they were quite good.

However, rapists usually rape not for sex, but for the purpose of domination.

Thanks for clarifying some things I was wondering about in your post!

I am interested in that statement quoted above, educate me. It seems odd on the surface, you would think people would rape because they need sex.

Anybody who steps foot in a war zone is considered a combat veteran, even if they sit in the FOB all day. They already get credit and women can get promoted like men. This will in no way change the way women advance in rank.

Some of the highest ranking women in the military say that you are wrong. They do not get the same credit as the men. Yes they can get a purple heart and get promoted to sgt, but they cannot get the credits which allow them certain restricted opportunities -- a kind of military glass ceiling.

Not sometimes, they always pick. Their ASVAB score determines what MOS they are eligible for. At least in the Army that is how it works.

The contract they receive is only good it they can cut the mustard. If they fail to pass the course, the military then decides where they will go.

For the most part, everybody has a weapon in a war zone. You realize a m4 weighs like 5lbs, the first time I held one I thought it was like a toy. It does not take much to shoot either, just required to know SPORTS(acronym).

Yes, but some women have actually been assigned to security ops.

Yes, but as I said above, there are many positions which they heretofore could not apply for.

Thanks for clarifying some things I was wondering about in your post!

I am interested in that statement quoted above, educate me. It seems odd on the surface, you would think people would rape because they need sex.

Yes, a lot of people have that misconception, and some people (including cops and judges) think that it has to do with the female attire. It doesn't. This was a particularly acute observation recently with the gang rape & murder in India.

Educate me where I am wrong.

You are wrong.

No one is credited for advancement just for being in a war zone. You have to be within certain specialties. Many of which were not open to women.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Women_in_the_military

Senior staff levels require actual ground combat experience, from which women are excluded.

Your ASVAB score is but one of the considerations used by the military for which person gets which job. Ground combat positions were not open to women.

For the most part most don't carry a weapon into a war zone. There are about 200 support personnel for every jet jockey in the military.

Yes there are, and opening ground combat positions to them will allow them to be even greater leaders.