Jump to content
Seriously No Politics ×

Recommended Posts

Posted

None of those examples have anything to with presentism.

Nephi compared Lehi's exodus from Jerusalem to Moses'.

He likened the words of Isaiah to the future members of the House of Israel

He also wrote, "I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning"

I guess I don't understand the fascination - or what portion or concepts of the scriptures we should be ignoring based on "presentism."

Do you have a list?

Respectfully

Posted

Nephi compared Lehi's exodus from Jerusalem to Moses'.

He likened the words of Isaiah to the future members of the House of Israel

He also wrote, "I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning"

I guess I don't understand the fascination - or what portion or concepts of the scriptures we should be ignoring based on "presentism."

Do you have a list?

Respectfully

Please google "presentism". You don't have a clue. It is hard to imagine how you can always be both so smug and so wrong, every single time.

Posted

Nephi compared Lehi's exodus from Jerusalem to Moses'.

He likened the words of Isaiah to the future members of the House of Israel

He also wrote, "I did liken all scriptures unto us, that it might be for our profit and learning"

I guess I don't understand the fascination - or what portion or concepts of the scriptures we should be ignoring based on "presentism."

Do you have a list?

Respectfully

I would love for you to show me where I said that we should be ignoring any portion or concept of scriptures.

Posted (edited)

Please google "presentism". You don't have a clue. It is hard to imagine how you can always be both so smug and so wrong, every single time.

Lol! Show me some clues, if you can.

Edited by ANACO
Posted (edited)

I would love for you to show me where I said that we should be ignoring any portion or concept of scriptures.

"So, with this in mind, I want to share a quote by Georges Florovsky, one of the foremost Eastern Orthodox theologians and scholars of the previous century. The quote shows the folly of imbuing the scriptures with too much presentism."

I should have phrased my question better: What examples do you have?

When I study the scriptures, I learn concepts that apply to anyone who passes through mortality.

Edited by ANACO
Posted

Lol! Show me some clues, if you can.

Do you know how to do a search on wikipedia? Do you need me to help you with that?

Posted

"So, with this in mind, I want to share a quote by Georges Florovsky, one of the foremost Eastern Orthodox theologians and scholars of the previous century. The quote shows the folly of imbuing the scriptures with too much presentism."

I should have phrased my question better: What examples do you have?

When I study the scriptures, I learn concepts that apply to anyone who passes through mortality.

There was the recent thread on Korihor, that should serve as an example. Also, when lessons in Sunday School tend to become discussions of modern US political institutions.

Posted (edited)

I shall have to think on all of that. Hmmmm . . . .

I have often experienced the Book of Mormon as a map of what is now and what is coming, and that we, as a world, are somewhere in Helaman.

Tis both. "Types and Shadows". Edited by Bill “Papa” Lee
Posted

There was the recent thread on Korihor, that should serve as an example. Also, when lessons in Sunday School tend to become discussions of modern US political institutions.

Amen...cannot escape it.
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×
×
  • Create New...