Seriously No Politics ×

Last Movie You Watched

altersteve

On 10/29/2018 at 3:00 PM, Amulek said:

Finally got around to catching that one as well. I liked the movie well enough, but with Bob Odenkirk and Jonathan Banks both serving as voice actors in the same film, I had a hard time thinking I wasn't watching an episode of Better Call Saul. ;) 

If I had seen that, I suppose it might have affected me, too, but I don't even know what kind of thing it is. FIlm? TV?  Oh well.

• 2 weeks later...

I went to 'Bohemian Rhapsody' last week and loved it. It's a movie about the group "Queen", and it centered around Freddie Mercury, the lead singer. I knew of their hits, just never really knew the people behind the music. Glad I learned all about this group. Now all I do is watch youtube's on them. I guess back in their heyday I was listening to a lot of country. The actor that play Freddie did a phenomenal job! In fact all of the actors were so close to the real people, you'd think it was them. Also, I know it is known that Freddie swore a lot, so I was so surprised there was only one "F" word and it's a PG-13 rating.

Apparently the movie 'adapted ' some facts to make for a better story in other ways besides  ensuring it got a Pg-13 rating by limiting profanity.

https://screenrant.com/bohemian-rhapsody-bob-geldof-actor-real-life/

I don't think that is a bad thing as long as people understand it is not a full-on documentary/biography.  If you are creating a particular message for a particular group (in this case, a broad target market including youth), that is going to happen.

Edited by Calm
7 hours ago, Calm said:

Apparently the movie 'adapted ' some facts to make for a better story in other ways besides  ensuring it got a Pg-13 rating by limiting profanity.

https://screenrant.com/bohemian-rhapsody-bob-geldof-actor-real-life/

I don't think that is a bad thing as long as people understand it is not a full-on documentary/biography.  If you are creating a particular message for a particular group (in this case, a broad target market including youth), that is going to happen.

But there were a lot of accuracies, so basically it was like a lot of "true" stories, but the gist was enough. I thought more true than not. http://www.historyvshollywood.com/reelfaces/bohemian-rhapsody/

14 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I went to 'Bohemian Rhapsody' last week and loved it. It's a movie about the group "Queen", and it centered around Freddie Mercury, the lead singer. I knew of their hits, just never really knew the people behind the music. Glad I learned all about this group. Now all I do is watch youtube's on them. I guess back in their heyday I was listening to a lot of country. The actor that play Freddie did a phenomenal job! In fact all of the actors were so close to the real people, you'd think it was them. Also, I know it is known that Freddie swore a lot, so I was so surprised there was only one "F" word and it's a PG-13 rating.

If you get a chance..on you tube they have Pentatonix with Queen doing Bohemian Rhapsody...Awesome.

18 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I enjoyed it too.  I love Freddie Mercury's voice and I enjoyed learning more about the band.  I thought the portrayal of the debauched lifestyle of Mercury was tastefully done (he was a wild one!). I really loved the development of his sweet relationship with his soulmate Mary. Apparently she received the bulk of his estate when he died. He loved her very much but unfortunately-for obvious reasons-could not commit to her.

3 hours ago, katherine the great said:

I enjoyed it too.  I love Freddie Mercury's voice and I enjoyed learning more about the band.  I thought the portrayal of the debauched lifestyle of Mercury was tastefully done (he was a wild one!). I really loved the development of his sweet relationship with his soulmate Mary. Apparently she received the bulk of his estate when he died. He loved her very much but unfortunately-for obvious reasons-could not commit to her.

I thought the very same about the portrayal of his relationship with Mary, and she knew him before all the fame and not a roadie and they certainly did bond.

I watched one youtube where it told that he was bullied as a young child in his hometown in India, and they called him "Bucky" because of his front teeth of course. 

It's too bad that they didn't have the medicine for Aids, that they have now. Like how long has Magic Johnson been around. Maybe he contracted something a little different though.

11 hours ago, Jeanne said:

If you get a chance..on you tube they have Pentatonix with Queen doing Bohemian Rhapsody...Awesome.

Jeanne! I totally had the funniest thing happen, maybe not that funny, but just now I took your suggestion and watched the video of Pentatonix singing that song and then looked up to watch the TV and saw them performing on the "The Late Late Show with James Cordan" at the very same time. But too bad, not the Bohemian Rhapsody song, haha.  

Edited by Tacenda

This afternoon I watched a movie from 1995 called Rob Roy starring Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange... Liam Neeson, in a kilt!!  Yikes!!  An oldie but goodie...

GG

3 hours ago, Garden Girl said:

This afternoon I watched a movie from 1995 called Rob Roy starring Liam Neeson and Jessica Lange... Liam Neeson, in a kilt!!  Yikes!!  An oldie but goodie...

GG

I remember that movie. It’s pretty good. Have you ever seen Braveheart?

15 hours ago, bluebell said:

I remember that movie. It’s pretty good. Have you ever seen Braveheart?

Yes... another goodie... Mel G looked good in his kilt, but I think Neeson edges him out... ☺️

GG

4 hours ago, bluebell said:

Neeson's forehead is too big for me.  But I don't find Gibson all that attractive either.  :lol:

I became a fan of Neeson after watching "Taken". Then quite by accident I watched him in the movie "Les Miserables" I had know idea was out there, which I loved! Also, I liked him in "Non-Stop" as well.

32 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I became a fan of Neeson after watching "Taken". Then quite by accident I watched him in the movie "Les Miserables" I had know idea was out there, which I loved! Also, I liked him in "Non-Stop" as well.

I first became aware of Neeson when he was in Ethan Frome... the film adaptation of the story by Edith Wharton... a very difficult part...

GG

Edited by Garden Girl
4 minutes ago, bluebell said:

The first time I saw Neeson was in the 1980s movie Krull. Definitely before he was a star. 😆

Same with his small role in Mutiny on the Bounty (Mel Gibson's).. we don't realize sometimes how long it takes these "stars" to reach their peak...

GG 

36 minutes ago, Garden Girl said:

I first became aware of Neeson when he was in Ethan Frome... the film adaptation of the story by Edith Wharton... a very difficult part...

GG

That movie looks super good, hope I can find and watch it. :) It's funny that if I'm asked who my favorite movie star is, or if talking about favorites he is one I think of now. And he isn't in many romance movies, I like his voice and his looks aren't bad either, haha. It was so sad that his wife Natasha Richardson died in a ski accident. 

3 hours ago, bluebell said:

The first time I saw Neeson was in the 1980s movie Krull. Definitely before he was a star. 😆

Now I have to go dig that out, I don't remember him at all....has to be over 30 years since I saw that.  Got it on DVD, but never watched it.

I remember seeing him first in a movie with his late wife, they were speech therapists or something.  Sweet little movie, as I recall.

Here it is, Nell.  He was a doctor, she a researcher into autism.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nell_(film)

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, bluebell said:

I do not like that movie.  The main character guy (can't remember his name) is kind of a jerk.

What? Are you being sarcastic? It's my favorite Christmas movie, but usually watch alone, hubby won't watch with me. James Stewart then? Did you ever see Mr. Krueger's? It's a good one. 

14 hours ago, Tacenda said:

What? Are you being sarcastic? It's my favorite Christmas movie, but usually watch alone, hubby won't watch with me. James Stewart then? Did you ever see Mr. Krueger's? It's a good one.

No, I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't like that movie.  George (I had to look it up) wasn't very nice to his wife or his kids, and in fact, resented them for "ruining" his life.  In the beginning of the movie he disrobed a woman and then refused to give her back her clothing and instead laughed at her.  He drinks and drives drunk, he gets physical in fights with his wife in front of his kids, makes his kids cry, etc.  He does some selfless stuff too but he always seems to resent doing it the second he does.  It's a gift that is given grudgingly.  

Mr. Krueger's Christmas is a good movie, but it's depressing.  My favorite church Christmas movie is Nora's Christmas Gift.  It's both touching and hilarious.  

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0452829/

2 hours ago, bluebell said:

No, I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't like that movie.  George (I had to look it up) wasn't very nice to his wife or his kids, and in fact, resented them for "ruining" his life.  In the beginning of the movie he disrobed a woman and then refused to give her back her clothing and instead laughed at her.  He drinks and drives drunk, he gets physical in fights with his wife in front of his kids, makes his kids cry, etc.  He does some selfless stuff too but he always seems to resent doing it the second he does.  It's a gift that is given grudgingly.  

Mr. Krueger's Christmas is a good movie, but it's depressing.  My favorite church Christmas movie is Nora's Christmas Gift.  It's both touching and hilarious.  

Forgot about that one, it's on the list! Wow bluebell you really don't like George. But your description of George goes a little far, haha! But to each their own. You're a hoot though! And I'll let my husband off the hook more now with your view, for not watching with me. I like other characters as well. And the story with the pharmacist and George circumventing a horrific outcome. And many other things I really liked. 

1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

Forgot about that one, it's on the list! Wow bluebell you really don't like George. But your description of George goes a little far, haha! But to each their own. You're a hoot though! And I'll let my husband off the hook more now with your view, for not watching with me. I like other characters as well. And the story with the pharmacist and George circumventing a horrific outcome. And many other things I really liked. 

It seems like a lot of people who watch the movie first as a adult don't like it very much, but those who've watched it since childhood tend to really be fond of it.  That would make sense to me.  For what it's worth, I finally watched White Christmas for the first time last year and didn't like that one either.  :lol:

5 hours ago, bluebell said:

Ebenezer Scrooge was also kind of a jerk. 

Geoge Bailey was more complex of a character. But like Scrooge, he became a better person at the end of the story. His story demonstrates that people can be jerks and still have a positive influence in the world.

Edited by Rivers