Duncan Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 I have heard a number of times that we are either speeding up or slowing down the Millenium. The latest version of this is that Elder Rex D. Pinegar told scouts at a scout camp in the States called Fillmount in 1985 that he had heard Pres. Kimball say that we are slowing down the Millenium and that if we had listened to him, (Pres.Kimball) we would have sped up the millenium and Jesus would be here already but we are slow to hearken and he isn't here yet. It sounds like Pres. Kimball's opinion and Elder Pinegar is just relaying that and now its gospel truth. My opinion is that we can't speed up or slow down the Millenium and that it is coming whether we are ready or not, all we need to do is live righteously, repent and live the Gospel. What do you think?
Avatar4321 Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 I don't really have an opinion at this time. It's not something I've talked to the Lord about.
WalkerW Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 We all know that this is how the Millenium will be ushered in:
Stargazer Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 We all know that this is how the Millenium will be ushered in: What is this from? Doesn't ring any bells with me.
BCSpace Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 That's Philmont btw.I do believe that date can be moved up or back by world events. But my opinion of how bad the world will be is pretty low. When a crowd of males pound at my door demanding my male guests come out so they can know them, then the time is near. The Homosexual agenda hasn't progressed that far yet and no, I would not offer my daughters instead in that case; just a generous pelting from a distance with a double-barrel shotgun.What is this from? Doesn't ring any bells with me."Knowing" with Nicholas Cage. It's unrealistic, but a great movie nontheless with a really good and interesting ending. You should rent it. The girls will like it too.
Hayds Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 I have heard a number of times that we are either speeding up or slowing down the Millenium. The latest version of this is that Elder Rex D. Pinegar told scouts at a scout camp in the States called Fillmount in 1985 that he had heard Pres. Kimball say that we are slowing down the Millenium and that if we had listened to him, (Pres.Kimball) we would have sped up the millenium and Jesus would be here already but we are slow to hearken and he isn't here yet. It sounds like Pres. Kimball's opinion and Elder Pinegar is just relaying that and now its gospel truth. My opinion is that we can't speed up or slow down the Millenium and that it is coming whether we are ready or not, all we need to do is live righteously, repent and live the Gospel. What do you think?One thing that I disdain that seems to happen within many organized religions is the whole: "You were all not worthy enough and therefore God has cancelled/prolonged the forthcoming miracle/fireworks show."With that being said, Jesus clearly said he will come as a thief in the night, so any church leader that infers or references any sort of timeframe is more than likely speaking their own personal opinion.
TAO Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 Speeding up or slowing down... I do not know. I do not know if it is moving at all. Or it might be. That the Lord knows, and he will chose the best, is all that matters =).I would be inclined to think that when he comes though is based to some degree upon us. Even if he knows when it is beforehand... I think our righteousness and worthiness will have a big impact on when that time exactly is. But eh, I could very well be wrong.I'm just rambling I guess.
The Nehor Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 “When we become ripe in iniquity, then the Lord will come. I get annoyed sometimes at some of our elders who when speaking say the Lord will come when we all become righteous enough to receive him. The Lord is not going to wait for us to get righteous. When he gets ready to come, he is going to come—when the cup of iniquity is full—and if we are not righteous then, it will be just too bad for us, for we will be classed among the ungodly, and we will be as stubble to be swept off the face of the earth, for the Lord says wickedness shall not stand."“Do not think the Lord delays his coming, for he will come at the appointed time, not the time which I have heard some preach when the earth becomes righteous enough to receive him. I have heard some men in positions and places of trust in the Church preach this, men who are supposed to be acquainted with the word of the Lord, but they failed to comprehend the scriptures. Christ will come in the day of wickedness, when the earth is ripe in iniquity and prepared for the cleansing, and as the cleanser and purifier he will come, and all the wicked will be as stubble and will be consumed”-Joseph Fielding SmithI am with him. The Millenium will not begin until Christ comes. Christ will come when he comes and will not wait for his people to be ready to receive him. If we are not ready, too bad. A few will be of course but if we personally are not, sucks to be us.
scooby Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 D&C 109: 59 We ask thee to appoint unto Zion other stakes besides this one which thou hast appointed, that the gathering of thy people may roll on in great power and majesty, that thy work may be cut short in righteousness.
CV75 Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 I have heard a number of times that we are either speeding up or slowing down the Millenium.The Lord comes speedily, which is a subjective, relative experience from the point of view of the observer. If he is in line with the Lord’s will, the Millennium has already commenced (“When Satan is bound in a single home—when Satan is bound in a single life—the Millennium has already begun in that home, in that life” -- The Teachings of Spencer W. Kimball, 172). If he is not, it isn’t coming at all, and he won’t believe it until he sees it anyway (2 Nephi 15:19, Matthew 24:48-51). So we can hasten the ushering in of the Millennium for ourselves by repenting early and receiving Him; otherwise inasmuch as we don’t know what the Father knows we can simply take it as it comes (Matthew 24:36).
Duncan Posted May 4, 2011 Author Posted May 4, 2011 -Joseph Fielding SmithI am with him. The Millenium will not begin until Christ comes. Christ will come when he comes and will not wait for his people to be ready to receive him. If we are not ready, too bad. A few will be of course but if we personally are not, sucks to be us.Do you have a citation for that? It is a great quotation!
Duncan Posted May 4, 2011 Author Posted May 4, 2011 That's Philmont btw.I do believe that date can be moved up or back by world events. But my opinion of how bad the world will be is pretty low. When a crowd of males pound at my door demanding my male guests come out so they can know them, then the time is near. The Homosexual agenda hasn't progressed that far yet and no, I would not offer my daughters instead in that case; just a generous pelting from a distance with a double-barrel shotgun."Knowing" with Nicholas Cage. It's unrealistic, but a great movie nontheless with a really good and interesting ending. You should rent it. The girls will like it too.Thank you for the clarification! he did say it is a big scout camp thing, I hate camping, I mean sleeping outside under a thin canvas sheet? I work to prevent that from happening
The Nehor Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 Do you have a citation for that? It is a great quotation!Doctrines of Salvation I think. I have it in my "quote repository" on my hard drive.
Duncan Posted May 4, 2011 Author Posted May 4, 2011 Doctrines of Salvation I think. I have it in my "quote repository" on my hard drive.I found it! thanks!
volgadon Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 The Homosexual agenda hasn't progressed that far yet Which really has little to do with Sodom and Gomorah. They were going to rape the newcomers in order to show them who was boss. Has more to do with prison yard gang type of politics than it ever did with homosexual agendas. In order to understand the story, and why Lot offered his daughters to the mob, it has to be read in light of the culture of hospitality.
ELF1024 Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 I don't think we have the ability to change the time that the Lord will come. To believe that we can affect the timetable of God, well, that sounds like arrogance of the worst kind.
Rock_N_Roll Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 The Rapture happens two weeks from Saturday. Better get ready!Rapture on May 21, 2011
urroner Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 The Lord comes when the Lord comes and there is nothing we can do to hurry it up nor slow it down.
Mark Beesley Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 But of that day and that hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels which are in heaven, neither the Son, but the Father.Mark 13:32Maybe that is why the Son does not know. The Father keeps pushing back the date.
Mark Beesley Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 "Knowing" with Nicholas Cage. It's unrealistic, but a great movie nontheless with a really good and interesting ending. You should rent it. The girls will like it too.Well, that pretty much settles the quesiton of whether BC wants to be taken seriously . . .
cinepro Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 I have heard a number of times that we are either speeding up or slowing down the Millenium. The latest version of this is that Elder Rex D. Pinegar told scouts at a scout camp in the States called Fillmount in 1985 that he had heard Pres. Kimball say that we are slowing down the Millenium and that if we had listened to him, (Pres.Kimball) we would have sped up the millenium and Jesus would be here already but we are slow to hearken and he isn't here yet. It sounds like Pres. Kimball's opinion and Elder Pinegar is just relaying that and now its gospel truth. My opinion is that we can't speed up or slow down the Millenium and that it is coming whether we are ready or not, all we need to do is live righteously, repent and live the Gospel. What do you think?Cinepro's Scientific Equation for Determining the Date of the Second ComingX = (A+B)+(S*0)"X" = year of the second coming"A" = the current year"B" = a number of years great enough to be outside the immediate time horizon, but not so great as to engender a feeling of irrelevant distance. A traditionally practical value for "B" is between 50-80 years. For the long-term health of a belief system, values <15 should be avoided at all costs."S" = the degree of righteousness and sinfulness on the Earth, as well as the perceived state of any "signs" that have or haven't been fulfilled. While the name is trademarked, the equation itself is public domain since it has been in wide use for the last 2000 years.
Monster Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 People have been waiting for the end for 2000 years. Every generation says the end is near. Every generation says things can not possibly get worse. Time people stop thinking about the end of the world and start working to make the here and now better. Sorry I have little patience for a millennialist viewpoint.
Nathair/|\ Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 One of the Prophets, forget which one, said something to the effect that "I'm preparing as though it were tomorrow, but I'm still planting cherry trees."
cinepro Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 One of the Prophets, forget which one, said something to the effect that "I'm preparing as though it were tomorrow, but I'm still planting cherry trees."I'm pretty sure it was John Taylor, but I don't have a reference handy.
Questing Beast Posted May 4, 2011 Posted May 4, 2011 ...My opinion is that we can't speed up or slow down the Millenium and that it is coming whether we are ready or not, all we need to do is live righteously, repent and live the Gospel. What do you think?When I was a "millenarian" I also held this view: time will proceed according to prophecy and nothing mankind does or does not do will alter that timing.Once freed of belief in a literal, prophesied millennium, one does not worry about anything but conditions in the world for their own sake. Hunger, violence, prosperity, freedom, etc: all these issues are our business, and so is the condition of our fellowmen in other countries, not just our own.I considered for years that the world was getting worse: this was requisite if the prophesied apocalypse must precede the millennium. But when I rejected the millennium it was first of all because I could not see the world getting worse, but rather generally better. People in and outside of religion are mostly alike - mostly good, in fact overwhelmingly good and only rarely given to doing bad things. Furthermore, I have never met a single soul in over half a century that I would judge worthy of death, as in the "burning of the wicked"; or worthy of hell, etc.So without such a belief in a millennium the "work of salvation" becomes more focused on dealing with real life problems instead of worrying about metaphysical ones....
Recommended Posts
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.