Bin Laden's Dead

Duncan

Before we start cheering and getting all excited, let me quote my 6th grade teacher who was with me when I was cheering that Khrushchev was kicked out the the top position of the USSR government, "Before you get too excited, who is taking his place and will they be even worse?" Nothing like putting a damper on a great party.

That is good news... Great news actually.

I don't want to sound trite over the death of a person, but he was IMO in many respects the Devil's advocate and I am glad we are clear of him in the here and now.

May God be merciful upon him.

Pretty crazy, my Dad just called to let us know. Almost ten years now. I am worried about how this is going to impact things, especially with all the junk already going on.

As it is though, this thread is likely going to get closed for politics in the next little bit...

Anticipate retribution. It's not over. Now I'm even

more concerned for my son in Afghanistan.

Bernard

Anticipate retribution. It's not over. Now I'm even

more concerned for my son in Afghanistan.

Bernard

My prayers are with him and next chance I get, I will send some chi his way.

Thank you.

Bernard

Too bad he couldn't have been captured. No doubt he was not willing to surrender.

Who cares who takes his place, though? I seem to have heard that he had become somewhat of a figurehead to Al Qaeda by this time, with actual operations being led and planned by others.

Sic Semper Tyrannis.

Frankly, I am not terribly happy about this. Not sad but not happy. It's good, because he was a real monster and mass murderer. Still, he was a human being who could have maybe had a different life and character. Most importantly, this is unlikely to help us in the war on terror; I don't see a big reason to celebrate. Still, it's one less monster to worry about in the war, so that's good.

There were no casualties in taking him out, either. That's also really good news.

My prayers are with him and next chance I get, I will send some chi his way.

You're awfully kind. The blowdryer has been messing up his hair something fierce.

It took 9 years, 7 months, and 20 days (since 9/11/01) to finally have this happen. Better late than never. A great day for America and the whole world. A day that I wondered if it would ever come...

Heaven knows that there are plenty of other monsters in the world, but at least it is now rid of this one.

...this is unlikely to help us in the war on terror;

Probably, but I think it marks an important turn around in Middle East attitude that’s been brewing for a while. His death does not stop the war on terror, or even potential terror activities. However, his death is timely because it happened when Middle Eastern attitudes are much less radicalized than ever before. Instead of Taliban law, millions of Arab protestors are demanding, and getting freedom; just how far this freedom goes, remains to be seen. I think Bin Laden simply wore out his welcome.

As I begin to digest all this, I have mixed thoughts/emotions.

For now (and with great pause) I will simply type the following:

An enormous feeling of respect and appreciation for the BRAVE and COURAGEOUS men and women who serve the USA. (No matter what your personal opinions/stances are regarding this, it is my firm opinion that this operation required the talents, courage, and dedication of some of the World's finest. A remarkable military victory, to be sure.

A VERY tough call that HAD to be made (IMO) by our current President.

A great concern for how other parts of the world will see/react to this.

A very bitter sweet victory.

Amongst the many adjectives/emotions that I find myself attempting to sort out, PAUSE is one that keeps coming upon me.

The next several days/weeks should be very interesting indeed.

Peace,

Ceeboo

Archived