I Messed Up

Blossom

I brought the wrong dish to our Church picnic today. I made potato salad but I put onions in it and a member slapped me in the face and told me I was a nasty name because of it.

I was hoping to be in this Church and I have tried hard so far to learn and to do right and try to be a member but sorry, no one told me I would get hit.

I can't believe this and I haven't stopped crying yet.

I think I need to re-think this.

Blossom

I brought the wrong dish to our Church picnic today. I made potato salad but I put onions in it and a member slapped me in the face and told me I was a nasty name because of it.

I was hoping to be in this Church and I have tried hard so far to learn and to do right and try to be a member but sorry, no one told me I would get hit.

Blossom

I am so sorry that they did something like that to you... that was really bad of them. I don't know if they will apologize, but I wanted to let you know you are still loved here, and that we still want you, and that not all members are like that person there.

So blossom, can you please accept my apolgies on behalf of that member... thanks.

I hope things are going a tiny bit better, and I'll be here for you if you need me.

Best Wishes,

Your friend,

TAO

Edited by TAO

Are you kidding? I can't imagine any ward member slapping a person for any reason, especially not for bringing the wrong dish. Did anyone witness this?

Blossom

I would've dumped the entire bowl over their head. Frankly, potato salad isn't any good without the onions. Sorry this happened. The person who did it has some mental problems.

Blossom

Blossom, I think you need to be realistic. Do you think there is a Church out there where this kind of behaviour cannot possibly happen? Do you think this person did this because he/she was a Mormon?

I'm really sorry this happened, but please don't think this has anything to do with the Church.

I once knew a family who were all active in the LDS faith, and I was fairly good friend with their son. As it turned out, the mother had been slowly poisoning her war-veteran husband over the past 7 years, in order to get the huge compensation that comes to veterans' widows in France. She finally succeeded and was found out and ended up in prison. Did she do this because she was a Mormon? No, she did it because despite being a Mormon.

This religion doesn't make people perfect, it just gives them all they need to do it themselves.

The Church isn't a museum of Saints, it's a hospital for sinners.

I hope your experience doesn't deter you from finding out what you can become through what it has to offer you :P

Thank you all.

I did tell the bishop today that I was NOT happy. Truly, after being hit like this kinda hurts.

Thank you all for your love and support for me.

I love you all,,,,from my heart

The bishop said we don't do that and he spoke to her.

Thank you all. I love you all, I really do.....but I'm looking at my badly bruised face in the mirror. My left eye is swollen shut and my left side of my face is black and blue.

I never thought this would happen to me!

I will turn what's left of my cheek and maybe be forgiven for being mad.

Dear Lord, forgive her. She knows not what pain she inflicts.

That is all I can say. Thank you! I must forgive.

Blessings,

Blossom

I've heard of petty disagreements with some yelling between women and some men getting into small fights during some intense road hockey games in the parking lot. I've never heard of anyone getting slapped - especially someone who doesn't have a long past relationship with the other person.

Slapped over onions in potato salad :P If you can manage to get over any emotional turmoil it may have caused it's kind of a funny story.

In the first place, someone slapping someone else in this kind of situation is utterly unacceptable in the Church. If this happened in the way described, a disciplinary council needs to be convened involving the person who did the slapping. People who do such things are not welcome in fellowshipping with the saints and need to either repent or be removed.

The bishop can't "just speak to her". If this happened in this manner, there must be additional action taken. Blossom, will you please let us know what additional action is going to be taken concerning this person, or if there are any extenuating circumstances that we're not aware of.

In the first place, someone slapping someone else in this kind of situation is utterly unacceptable in the Church. If this happened in the way described, a disciplinary council needs to be convened involving the person who did the slapping. People who do such things are not welcome in fellowshipping with the saints and need to either repent or be removed.

The bishop can't "just speak to her". If this happened in this manner, there must be additional action taken. Blossom, will you please let us know what additional action is going to be taken concerning this person, or if there are any extenuating circumstances that we're not aware of.

Wow, please get off your high horse :P Have you ever heard of mental illness? Do you realise that people with mental illness are actually welcome in our Church? Do you realise how many unwarranted assumptions you just made with your post? Please think about it, preferably in a prayerful, humble attitude.

Wow, please get off your high horse :P Have you ever heard of mental illness? Do you realise that people with mental illness are actually welcome in our Church? Do you realise how many unwarranted assumptions you just made with your post? Please think about it, preferably in a prayerful, humble attitude.

The situation as described by Blossom is simply unacceptable. There are no assumptions being made on my part; there was no mention of mental illness (an assumption on your part) and there is, frankly, an appropriate procedure to follow in cases described like this that amount to assault and battery.

It is unacceptable to let the situation, if accurate as described, just pass. Action must be taken by the bishop to resolve it as soon as possible. It is not enough just to speak to the person; the physical assault aspect of it puts it into a whole different situation that needs to be adequately addressed.

I'll send you a private message about the tone of the rest of your comment.

Blossom

That is how my wife makes it; the person who slapped you is troubled to say the least. Keep you eyes on Christ and not on others. The person who hit you is the one who messed up.

The situation as described by Blossom is simply unacceptable. There are no assumptions being made on my part; there was no mention of mental illness (an assumption on your part) and there is, frankly, an appropriate procedure to follow in cases described like this that amount to assault and battery.

It is unacceptable to let the situation, if accurate as described, just pass. Action must be taken by the bishop to resolve it as soon as possible. It is not enough just to speak to the person; the physical assault aspect of it puts it into a whole different situation that needs to be adequately addressed.

I'll send you a private message about the tone of the rest of your comment.

Yes, sorry I misunderstood your post. I didn't think about the legal aspect of it. I am not assuming this person has a mental illness, by the way, just making sure that this possibility isn't ignored, and I reacted to the part of your message that talked about such people not being welcome.

Yes, sorry I misunderstood your post. I didn't think about the legal aspect of it. I am not assuming this person has a mental illness, by the way, just making sure that this possibility isn't ignored, and I reacted to the part of your message that talked about such people not being welcome.

Not a problem. If this situation described is accurate, there is additional action that needs to be taken by the bishop.

Physical assault as described by Blossom in this situation is not welcome or acceptable in the Church, and persons who have a habit of doing such things must either repent or go elsewhere.

You can also press criminal charges, and you can ask the lady for damages for any days you are out of work and for your pain and suffering. While there is nothing that the police can do at this point other than punish her (and you'll spend time and effort getting damages and doing so might prolong the agony of what happened), the church system is not the only system that is available to members. Be sure to take a photo of the damage and send it to the woman: if she isn't mentally ill (or deathly allergic to onions) maybe seeing the damage will help her understand she can't ever do it again. You probably know that the scriptures say that when someone has offended you, you are supposed to go to that person to reconcile. I wouldn't recommend doing that without a third party (maybe the bishop) in your case. It would be too dangerous.

Is there nothing else? There is no history between the two parties? Was this somehow a straw that broke the back of the proverbial camel? I find it difficult to believe that anyone is slapped for onions. What did onions represent? Had there been discussion previously where for some reason there had been argument over onions in a potato salad? What would the person who made the assault have explained as the reason for the attack? An aversion to onions?

If there has been nothing else but mere onions in a potato salad that prompted a slap in the face, it undoubtedly points to a severe mental or emotional instability of the person who did it. Most of us either do no outrageous acts like that ever, or we do them frequently. Is this the first episode involving this person that anyone knows of?

Whatever the facts are, the act speaks neither for nor against Mormonism, and it seems mysterious that it would even enter the mind of the person who was assaulted to consider the possibility of being the one who "messed up." That is why I don't think we have all the facts and why juries don't decide a case until they hear both sides. It seems difficult to imagine a slap being justified. But it certainly also seems like there had to be some other more serious disagreement to prompt such a response.

3DOP

I think a better title for this thread would be "Crazed Lunatic Slaps Me Over Potato Salad".

Be sure to take a photo of the damage and send it to the woman: if she isn't mentally ill (or deathly allergic to onions) maybe seeing the damage will help her understand she can't ever do it again.

Who cares if she is deathly allergic to onions... NO ONE has the right to slap a person for any reason, let alone onions in potato salad. If Blossom has reported the incident accurately, and why would I assume she hasn't, then she needs to make sure the bishop sees her swollen eye and bruised cheek (the person is obviously mentally ill to do such a thing) and advise the person that Blossom is not going to press charges even though she would be within her rights to do so. It is questionable if this person should be allowed without supervision if she flys off the handle over onions...

And for Blossom... don't judge the "Church" by this person, or even by others who do not live the gospel. They are the ones who will answer for their actions, particularly if those affect others. The gospel is true, despite some of its members...

GG

Blossom

thats crazy!! i have never heard of anybody in any religon doing something like that!!! whomever it was definately does not follow jesus christ and his teachings in this church that is sssooo out away from the spirit its crazy!!! you would be very wise to look at other members and those who are good christians...unfortunately every religon has its nut cases.. thank goodness we have very few!:P

I've had an experience at the Storehouse that, while it didn't end with slapping, did make me rather upset. Two times actually. One was when we were out of produce, and I wrote a note on the fridge indicating so. A woman insulted me over my writing, and I became very upset and was unable to work(yes I am sensitive). That person did later apologize, but it hurt me alot because I am not very good at writing, and I tried to fix a problem and somebody was crittical when there was no need to be.

The second case was possibly with this same woman, only a few years later. I was helping her fill out her order, but I was going too fast for her. I was doing the picking, and she was to do the packing. I was going fast by doing both, and hoping we would work together like that to finish the order. The woman got very offended that I was going too fast for her, and she became fustrated with me and got very upset. I never intended to offend her, and it hurts when people react to my actions as if I was intentionally trying to hurt them. Of course there was no slapping, but if somebody did slap me, I would have actually started to cry. I'm a full grown male, and men don't cry.

There was also this other time at the Storehouse where a lady who is confined to a wheelchair was being very overbearing on me, and one day I finally snapped and started to yell back. I find it very dificult to respond to anger by being threatening. In fact I am a bit of a wuss. I guess my fear is that if I retaliate, I could hurt that person far worse than they could hurt me. Especially with years of repressed anger and self-esteem issues, I am scared to death of handling somebody in a harsh way.

I'm looking at my badly bruised face in the mirror. My left eye is swollen shut and my left side of my face is black and blue.

I never thought this would happen to me!

I will turn what's left of my cheek and maybe be forgiven for being mad.

If this woman was physical enough to inflict this level of damage, she is a danger to others and you should press charges of assault. Anyone doing this at an LDS gathering I've attended would be looked on as mentally deranged or at best under so much stress that her behaviour is a good imitation of mental instability and in desperate need of help (just calling someone a nasty name would be a big red flag). Bringing charges may be the only way that she will get it so the kindest thing you can do imo is to go to the law.

add-on: having read the rest of the thread, perhaps you should discuss with others what is being done to prevent such an event from happening again before deciding whether or not to bring charges.

If someone is going around slapping total strangers in public, one has to wonder what is going on behind closed doors. Not doing anything in this case except for attempting to forgive her for her personal attack on you may be the unChristlike approach.

Edited by calmoriah

Hi Blossom,

With consideration that this thread is even remotely real (sorry to suggest that I am entirely not convinced), I would suggest that you need not talk to any LDS bishop, you need to talk to the police.

Either way (real or not) the events you describe has very little to do with, nor should it refect upon, the LDS church (or any other entire body of people).

Peace,

Ceeboo