Seriously No Politics ×

LDS Films

14 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Three cows is many.

You are a shrewd bargainer. 

Honestly, I can't help but think of good old Johnny Lingo every time my daughter puts on a certain recently released Disney film. Why oh why couldn't they have named the title character something a little less similar. It has gotten me into more trouble than it's worth.

All in all though, Johnny Lingo is actually kind of a humorous short film with a good message. Also, it's available for free viewing on the church's website:

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-05-0010-johnny-lingo?lang=eng

It's much more enjoyable than that depressing 'Sniper In The Snow' film they used to show. 

24 minutes ago, Amulek said:

You are a shrewd bargainer. 

Honestly, I can't help but think of good old Johnny Lingo every time my daughter puts on a certain recently released Disney film. Why oh why couldn't they have named the title character something a little less similar. It has gotten me into more trouble than it's worth.

All in all though, Johnny Lingo is actually kind of a humorous short film with a good message. Also, it's available for free viewing on the church's website:

https://www.lds.org/media-library/video/2011-05-0010-johnny-lingo?lang=eng

It's much more enjoyable than that depressing 'Sniper In The Snow' film they used to show. 

You mean "Cipher in the Snow"? I listed that believe it or not, on this thread, because I think it will do some youth some good. In fact I asked my husband to show it to his Primary class. Yes, it's depressing but it's impact will do some good IMO. Instead of the 8 cow wife vs. 3 cow wife :rolleyes:. Which only teaches how important looks are, sad!  

6 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

You mean "Cipher in the Snow"? I listed that believe it or not, on this thread, because I think it will do some youth some good. In fact I asked my husband to show it to his Primary class. Yes, it's depressing but it's impact will do some good IMO. Instead of the 8 cow wife vs. 3 cow wife :rolleyes:. Which only teaches how important looks are, sad!  

Is that really the message of Johnny Lingo?

I always assumed it was, you are as you are treated: abuse me, and I am less; treat me well and I am more. Neglect me and I withdraw up a tree; love me and I fully integrate myself into life.

3 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Is that really the message of Johnny Lingo?

I always assumed it was, you are as you are treated: abuse me, and I am less; treat me well and I am more. Neglect me and I withdraw up a tree; love me and I fully integrate myself into life.

Well that would be sad. Abused people should feel that they are less? 

39 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

You mean "Cipher in the Snow"? I listed that believe it or not, on this thread, because I think it will do some youth some good. In fact I asked my husband to show it to his Primary class. Yes, it's depressing but it's impact will do some good IMO. [...]

I'm pretty sure it's 'sniper.' You must be talking about the CleanFlicks version where they have edited out the sniper shot at the beginning of the film. ;)

I really (really, really, really) enjoyed The Other Side of Heaven.

About Elder John Groberg's mission in Tonga. It was professionally done, excellent acting, and I myself served in the islands (Marshall Islands). I experienced on my mission almost everything Elder Groberg did (except rats eating my feet).

Watch this movie and you will love it and it will become one of your favorites (not Church made, but an excellent LDS themed movie).

Baptists at Our Barbecue, hands down.  In my opinion it takes all the good, bad, ugly, absurd, ordinary, and sublime about being Mormon and smooshes it into a comedy.

Also another vote for The Other Side of Heaven.

Edited by Maidservant
2 hours ago, strappinglad said:

Come on guys, I am shocked ...SHOCKED .. that no one has mentioned Johnny Lingo !

2 hours ago, USU78 said:

Three cows is many.

mahana_you_ugly_ash_grey_tshirt.jpg?colo

As you can see, there is a wide variety of films to choose from.  

If you're just looking for an accessible short film that conveys some feeling of LDS doctrine, then I would also recommend "How Rare a Possession."  Like most films produced by the Church in the 1980's and 1990's, it is very earnest and not very subtle, but it has good production values.  

During the 1950's, 60's and 70's, the film department at BYU produced dozens of short films.  Many of them dramatize a short story reinforcing some point of doctrine or culture for the youth (avoid drugs, marry a Mormon, don't judge others by appearance, choose friends carefully etc.)    If you want to go down this rabbit hole, there is an awesome You Tube Channel that is archiving these and making them available for future generations (or until the Church has had enough and takes them down):

Hard to Find Mormon Videos 

In addition to the BYU produced films, there are all sorts of videos produced for internal training, missionary training, seminary film-strips, fundraising and so much more.  

Some of my favorites:

Visual Poise for Missionaries (sister missionaries are taught how to sit down in a chair at :50)

Where No Flag Burns (1969) (donate money to BYU because they don't tolerate student protests)

A Time To Love (1987) (Not produced by the Church itself, but made to convince Mormon teens to not have sex before marriage.  The sequence starting at 13:30 is particularly memorable.)

Best of Homefront 2 (a collection of the classic commercials that were ubiquitous in the early 1980s, from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint - the "Mormons.")

That Which Was Lost (1969) (the identification and avoidance of hippies, including rare footage of hippies in their natural habitat.)

The Fat Fighters (1971)  Weight loss for women in the early 1970s

For Time or Eternity? (1969) A girl is tempted to marry outside the Temple, which means a quickie Vegas marriage of course.  Does she end up making the right choice?)

Too many others to list.  It's a fun channel to explore.

Edited by cinepro

I have always wondered what happened to Best of Homefront 1.  I have never been able to find a trace of it and for awhile my goal in life as ward librarian was to have a complete database of all church productions (until we moved to Utah and the 5 years in development project---including seeking out a BYU student's thesis database---magically evaporated off the hard drive my husband promised me he put it on).  Also talked to my nephew the LDS.org guy shortly after we moved and learned a library catalog system would not be included anytime soon.  Plus computers were not to be kept in the library (to avoid breakins apparently) so wouldn't be very helpful for anyone else.

Edited by Calm
On 7/13/2017 at 10:58 PM, JLHPROF said:

That depends on what you are looking for, what topics etc?

Legacy is a very nice basic retelling of Church history and the life of Joseph Smith, but it is not even slightly scholarly.

Testaments is a nice story of Christ's visit to the America's.

How Rare A Possession/A Voice From The Dust tells two stories of people finding the Book of Mormon - Parley P. Pratt and an Italian religious student.

My personal favorite - Mountain of the Lord tells the story of the construction of the Salt Lake Temple and digs a little deeper into things I consider important.

These are all fictional retellings.  For a more documentary choice I like Between Heaven and Earth - A 45 minute examination of temples featuring interviews with a variety of people, including non-members.

These are all good suggestions. I endorse every one.

The last one, "Between Heaven and Earth," includes an interview with the late Krister Stendahl, bishop of the state church in Stockholm (Lutehran), who explains the concept of "holy envy" (Stendahl said it is a good thing) and cautions that when you are comparing your own religious faith with someone else's to be sure to compare their best with your best.

Edited by Scott Lloyd
On 7/14/2017 at 11:37 AM, Anijen said:

About Elder John Groberg's mission in Tonga. It was professionally done, excellent acting, and I myself served in the islands (Marshall Islands). I experienced on my mission almost everything Elder Groberg did (except rats eating my feet).

Watch this movie and you will love it and it will become one of your favorites (not Church made, but an excellent LDS themed movie).

It was made by an LDS filmmaker. And Elder Groberg was a technical adviser on the film. (I interviewed both at the time it was released).

Edited by Scott Lloyd
1 hour ago, Scott Lloyd said:

The Church has just embarked on a series of film dramatizations of the Book of Mormon. These will be similar to the Bible videos the Church made a few years ago. In fact, the same sets are being used, near Goshen, Utah.

I expect these will b a fine product.

I am just hoping not to see Cahokia or Niagara Falls in the back ground (but Palenque would be acceptable).

7 hours ago, cinepro said:

As you can see, there is a wide variety of films to choose from.  

If you're just looking for an accessible short film that conveys some feeling of LDS doctrine, then I would also recommend "How Rare a Possession."  Like most films produced by the Church in the 1980's and 1990's, it is very earnest and not very subtle, but it has good production values.  

During the 1950's, 60's and 70's, the film department at BYU produced dozens of short films.  Many of them dramatize a short story reinforcing some point of doctrine or culture for the youth (avoid drugs, marry a Mormon, don't judge others by appearance, choose friends carefully etc.)    If you want to go down this rabbit hole, there is an awesome You Tube Channel that is archiving these and making them available for future generations (or until the Church has had enough and takes them down):

Hard to Find Mormon Videos 

In addition to the BYU produced films, there are all sorts of videos produced for internal training, missionary training, seminary film-strips, fundraising and so much more.  

Some of my favorites:

Visual Poise for Missionaries (sister missionaries are taught how to sit down in a chair at :50)

Where No Flag Burns (1969) (donate money to BYU because they don't tolerate student protests)

A Time To Love (1987) (Not produced by the Church itself, but made to convince Mormon teens to not have sex before marriage.  The sequence starting at 13:30 is particularly memorable.)

Best of Homefront 2 (a collection of the classic commercials that were ubiquitous in the early 1980s, from the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saint - the "Mormons.")

That Which Was Lost (1969) (the identification and avoidance of hippies, including rare footage of hippies in their natural habitat.)

The Fat Fighters (1971)  Weight loss for women in the early 1970s

For Time or Eternity? (1969) A girl is tempted to marry outside the Temple, which means a quickie Vegas marriage of course.  Does she end up making the right choice?)

Too many others to list.  It's a fun channel to explore.

Some of these I was going "Oh, my". But started watching the commercials and was struck with how helpful some were, and how these represent a sweet time in Mormonism. It showed that LDS people have faults, and how to repair them. Now it feels everyone has to live on plane that is impossible to maintain, they aren't seeing these commercials anymore, they're left to wonder if they are terrible parents or family members because they don't see the imperfections in these commercials.

I miss the 60', 70's and 80's of mormonism, I don't miss some of the hurtful doctrine though.  

6 hours ago, Calm said:

....my goal in life as ward librarian was to have a complete database of all church productions (until we moved to Utah and the 5 years in development project---including seeking out a BYU student's thesis database---magically evaporated off the hard drive my husband promised me he put it on)....

...when realities merge...(i.e. worlds "collide"), things occasionally get lost in the "translation".

Lost isn't really the right word, but perhaps you know what I mean. 

Edited by hagoth7
10 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

...started watching the commercials and was struck with how helpful some were, and how these represent a sweet time in Mormonism. It showed that LDS people have faults, and how to repair them. Now it feels everyone has to live on plane that is impossible to maintain, they aren't seeing these commercials anymore, they're left to wonder if they are terrible parents or family members because they don't see the imperfections in these commercials.

I miss the 60', 70's and 80's of mormonism, I don't miss some of the hurtful doctrine though.  

Nail. Head.

Edited by hagoth7
30 minutes ago, USU78 said:

Oh puhlease. Is that really necessary on this congenial thread?

I just didn't want to make it sound too peachy keen. Sometimes a person needs to make sure their statement encapsulates everything in case someone is to believe they believe only one thing. 

I will say it again, I like the church's messages, just finished "That Which Was Lost", it was another good one, if you fit it in our times.

Edited by Tacenda
21 hours ago, Anijen said:

My #2 non-official film. Have watched it a few times. Was my fave until Ephraim's Rescue came out.

4 hours ago, Scott Lloyd said:

It was made by and LDS filmmaker. And Elder Groberg was a technical adviser on the film. (I interviewed both at the time it was released).

Back when...after watching the film, I got Elder Groberg's book from the library. Now I forget what it was called, but it was about his life on up to his current status.