Seriously No Politics ×

Skin Color Doesn’t Mean Skin Color

Stumbled across this apologetic, which is a doozy. 

The gist of it is that when the Book of Mormon speaks of the Lamanites being given a skin of blackness, it means that the skins they wore as clothing were black, whereas the Nephites wore “white and delightsome” skins. In short, these were fashion choices similar to gang colors. 

As Dan McClellan put it, this is “not a good theory.” 

Edited by jkwilliams
8 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

The gist of it is that when the Book of Mormon speaks of the Lamanites being given a skin of blackness, it means that the skins they wore as clothing were black, whereas the Nephites wore “white and delightsome” skins. In short, these were fashion choices similar to gang colors. 

Does Dan explain why it's not a good theory?

1 minute ago, bluebell said:

Does Dan explain why it's not a good theory?

No, but if I were to guess, it doesn’t work with a lot of the other references in the BofM. For example, apostate Nephites “marked themselves with red in their foreheads” to signify they had joined the Lamanites. Why would they do this if they just had to change clothes?

14 minutes ago, webbles said:

I've seen various takes on the "skins of darkness" like this over the years.  Not sure when they started.  But it has been interesting to read their supporting verses.

I don’t know. This is new to me, like the sudden flurry of people who think Joseph Smith’s plural marriages were never consummated. So strange. 

6 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

No, but if I were to guess, it doesn’t work with a lot of the other references in the BofM. For example, apostate Nephites “marked themselves with red in their foreheads” to signify they had joined the Lamanites. Why would they do this if they just had to change clothes?

Well (without embracing that specific theory over the many others that exist that don't require racism to read that part of 2nd Nephi), one obvious reason could be because the culture that might have marked themselves with specific clothing was hundreds of years in the past at this point in the story and had mixed with other cultures during that long time.  

I'm thinking of how a gentleman used to dress to signify his station in life compared to how someone in a similar station today would dress.  Or how the military used to dress hundreds of years ago compared to how they dress today.  Or how tattoos used to be used hundreds of years ago compared to how they are used today in our culture.  The way that it used to be only prostitutes who wore makeup in early American culture but a couple hundred years later we had an apostle teaching sisters at church that it wouldn't hurt them to wear a little lipstick if they wanted to get married. Etc. 

Cultures and how people represent themselves or delineate their belonging to different parts of society evolve.

2 minutes ago, bluebell said:

Well (without embracing that specific theory over the many others that exist that don't require racism to read that part of 2nd Nephi), one obvious reason could be because the culture that might have marked themselves with specific clothing was hundreds of years in the past at this point in the story and had mixed with other cultures during that long time.  

I'm thinking of how a gentleman used to dress to signify his station in life compared to how someone in a similar station today would dress.  Or how the military used to dress hundreds of years ago compared to how they dress today.  Or how tattoos used to be used hundreds of years ago compared to how they are used today in our culture.  The way that it used to be only prostitutes who wore makeup in early American culture but a couple hundred years later we had an apostle teaching sisters at church that it wouldn't hurt them to wear a little lipstick if they wanted to get married. Etc. 

Cultures and how people represent themselves or delineate their belonging to different parts of society evolve.

That might work, except two verses later, we’re told the Lamanites they had joined had been cursed with dark skin.

And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

7 And their brethren sought to destroy them, therefore they were cursed; and the Lord God set a mark upon them, yea, upon Laman and Lemuel, and also the sons of Ishmael, and Ishmaelitish women.

8 And this was done that their seed might be distinguished from the seed of their brethren, that thereby the Lord God might preserve his people, that they might not mix and believe in incorrect traditions which would prove their destruction.

9 And it came to pass that whosoever did mingle his seed with that of the Lamanites did bring the same curse upon his seed.

10 Therefore, whosoever suffered himself to be led away by the Lamanites was called under that head, and there was a mark set upon him.

Was the artist that illustrated the BoM for children totally mistaken? I had that book in the 80's, no longer do and read it to my children while young. Here's one of the artist's renditions of the BoM stories book. Did they get it wrong? Also, Pres. Kimball?

"The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos; five were darker but equally delightsome. The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation.

"At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl—sixteen —sitting between the dark father and mother, and it was evident she was several shades lighter than her parents—on the same reservation, in the same hogan, subject to the same sun and wind and weather. There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness. One white elder jokingly said that he and his companion were donating blood regularly to the hospital in the hope that the process might be accelerated."

-Spencer W. Kimball, October 1960 GC

r/exmormon - TSCC - you taught this and you can't make it go away.

Edited by Tacenda
3 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

I'm late to the party but was the person/persons that put out the illustrated BoM for children totally mistaken? I had that book, no longer do. I read it to my children while young. Or their dad most likely more than me. Here's one of the artist's renditions of the BoM stories book. Did they get it wrong? 

r/exmormon - TSCC - you taught this and you can't make it go away.

I think they are arguing that the prophets, seers, and revelators who taught it was skin color/race for generations were mistaken. 

The only good thing Woody Allen added to the universe, was to include a scene where a guy wakes up in the future and is not feeling well, so they give him a cigar and tell him to "inhale deeply, make sure you get the healing smoke deep, deep down into your lungs".   The point being, of course, that stuff we figure is bad/wrong/backwards/evil, is a scant handful of centuries and a cultural pendulum-swing away from being considered the exact opposite. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with God using melanin to help pre-human-rights civilizations tell each other apart.   Or, there's nothing wrong with folks in those pre-human-rights civilizations noticing that different cultures intermingling in various ways leaving them with easily identifiable differences, and writing records where those differences are identified as put there by God to signify this or that.   

There are some things wrong with folks in supposedly advanced enlightened modern civilizations, flicking self-righteous boogies from ivory towers of modern cultural understandings, totally clueless about only about 12% of the earth's current population actually thinks similarly, and also totally clueless about the problems inherent in judging people from history through a modern cultural lens. (And also wrong with folks believing in their ignorance, that they have to jump through such weird hoops to solve a problem that doesn't exist.)

Edited by LoudmouthMormon
56 minutes ago, OGHoosier said:

A thorough presentation of this school of thought can be found here: "Skins as Garments in the Book of Mormon: A Textual Exegesis" by Ethan Sproat, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies 24 (2015): 138-165.

It's not a bad case imo.

I’d just make the case that it’s a typical 19th-century American “lost civilization” myth, which is on more solid ground, IMO. 

7 minutes ago, LoudmouthMormon said:

The only good thing Woody Allen added to the universe, was to include a scene where a guy wakes up in the future and is not feeling well, so they give him a cigar and tell him to "inhale deeply, make sure you get the healing smoke deep, deep down into your lungs".   The point being, of course, that stuff we figure is bad/wrong/backwards/evil, is a scant handful of centuries and a cultural pendulum-swing away from being considered the exact opposite. 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with God using melanin to help pre-human-rights civilizations tell each other apart.   Or, there's nothing wrong with folks in those pre-human-rights civilizations noticing that different cultures intermingling in various ways leaving them with easily identifiable differences, and writing records where those differences are identified as put there by God to signify this or that.   

There are some things wrong with folks in supposedly advanced enlightened modern civilizations, flicking self-righteous boogies from ivory towers of modern cultural understandings, totally clueless about only about 12% of the earth's current population actually thinks similarly, and also totally clueless about the problems inherent in judging people from history through a modern cultural lens.

Personally, I think this apologetic arises out of modern discomfort with 19th-century notions of race and culture. 

Edited by jkwilliams
2 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

A new in vogue apologetic apparently.  More gaslighting really.

2 minutes ago, Kevin Christensen said:

Notice the J.K. Williams has left out some important words from Alma 3:5, leading into Alma 3:6. 

In his important essay, "Skins as Garments in the Book of Mormon," Ethan Sproat had noticed this about various commenters on Alma 3:5-6 on the Lamanite curse.

J. K. has thus far adopted the second approach, "remaining silent about the first."  It is not a particularly imposing approach to make to Sproat's scholarship. Knee-jerk mockery is easy.  Scholarship is hard. 

Sproat wrote:

T. J. Uronia recently looked at the Book of Mormon in relation to Assyrian writing of the time.  The abstract of his recent BYU Studies essay has this:  

T. J. Uriona, “Life and Death, Blessing and Cursing” New Context for “Skin of Blackness” in the Book of Mormon”, BYU Studies Quarterly, 63/3 (2023).  https://byustudies.byu.edu/article/life-and-death-blessing-and-cursing/

Hugh Nibley has also addressed the context for "skin of blackness" a phrase unique to a single verse and a single author in the Book of Mormon, Nephim the only Book of Mormon author raised in the Ancient Near East, in 2 Nephi 5:1.

Hugh Nibley, Teachings of the Book of Mormon, Lecture 18, https://archive.bookofmormoncentral.org/content/lecture-18-2-nephi-3%E2%80%938-lehi%E2%80%99s-family-blessings-and-conflict .

It is also important to notice that the same Book of Mormon authors who talk about the curse frequently and throughout the entire book use language associating white/pure/clean garments as metaphors of blessings and repentance, and stained/filthy/bloody garments as symbolic of disobedience and covenant curses in ways that directly parallel the use, context, audience and rhetorical intent of verses so often associated with racial readings.   For example, the same Nephi who wrote both “skin of blackness” and “all are alike unto God” also wrote:

“…And these twelve ministers whom thou beholdest shall judge thy seed. And, behold, they are righteous forever; for because of their faith in the Lamb of God their garments are made white in his blood.”
And the angel said unto me, “Look!” And I looked, and beheld three generations pass away in righteousness; and their garments were white even like unto the Lamb of God. And the angel said unto me, “These are made white in the blood of the Lamb, because of their faith in him.” (Nephi 12:10-11)

See also 

So notion that skins can be garments and garments can represent both blessing and curses relative to covenants is present throughout the Book of Mormon.  I do not find shallow mockery and incredulity shows evidence of having weighed and considered that.

With respect to the plain meaning of the text, and what is "obvious," the whole point of the parable of the Sower is that the same words, planted in different soils, nurtured in different ways, can radically changed the harvest. Of that parable, Jesus says "Know ye not this parable? How then will ye know all parables?"  Knowing that soil and nurture of words can change their meaning is a crucial teaching of Jesus.

For example, regarding the plain meaning of "other sheep" Jesus explained in 3 Nephi that he had disciples who supposed they understood, and did not ask, and therefore, were not taught.   If we think we know what we are looking at, we may not see what is actually there.

What sort of pre-existing suppositions existed in Joseph Smith's 19th century context?  From Americanist Approaches to the Book of Mormon:

I find it easy to recognize that early readers of the Book of Mormon, and many present readers, saw only what they expect to see, rather than what is really there. 

But seeing what you expect to see, rather than what is there, leads to problems. Reading the text as “a series of drearily familiar racist tropes” does not quite fit. Indeed, Jeremy Talmage reports that: 
"The racial worldview of the Book of Mormon is a historical anomaly in that it envisioned Native Americans as either black or white when nearly everyone else identified Indians as red. As it turns out, this radically departed from the personal views of Joseph Smith and his nineteenth-century culture. The description of Native Americans as red, which one should expect to find in the Book of Mormon, simply is not there."

Jeremy Talmadge, “Black, White, and Red All Over: Skin Color in the Book of Mormon”, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies, https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1633&context=jbms

Karl R. Popper, The Myth of the Framework: In Defence of Science and Rationality (New York: Routledge, 1994), 84–85, https://books.google.com/books?

FWIW,

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA 

Yeah, leaving those words out was totally deliberate. 🙄

1 minute ago, Kevin Christensen said:

Notice the J.K. Williams has left out some important words from Alma 3:5, leading into Alma 3:6. 

In his important essay, "Skins as Garments in the Book of Mormon," Ethan Sproat had noticed this about various commenters on Alma 3:5-6 on the Lamanite curse.

J. K. has thus far adopted the second approach, "remaining silent about the first."  It is not a particularly imposing approach to make to Sproat's scholarship. Knee-jerk mockery is easy.  Scholarship is hard. 

Sproat wrote:

T. J. Uronia recently looked at the Book of Mormon in relation to Assyrian writing of the time.  The abstract of his recent BYU Studies essay has this:  

T. J. Uriona, “Life and Death, Blessing and Cursing” New Context for “Skin of Blackness” in the Book of Mormon”, BYU Studies Quarterly, 63/3 (2023).  https://byustudies.byu.edu/article/life-and-death-blessing-and-cursing/

Hugh Nibley has also addressed the context for "skin of blackness" a phrase unique to a single verse and a single author in the Book of Mormon, Nephim the only Book of Mormon author raised in the Ancient Near East, in 2 Nephi 5:1.

Hugh Nibley, Teachings of the Book of Mormon, Lecture 18, https://archive.bookofmormoncentral.org/content/lecture-18-2-nephi-3%E2%80%938-lehi%E2%80%99s-family-blessings-and-conflict .

It is also important to notice that the same Book of Mormon authors who talk about the curse frequently and throughout the entire book use language associating white/pure/clean garments as metaphors of blessings and repentance, and stained/filthy/bloody garments as symbolic of disobedience and covenant curses in ways that directly parallel the use, context, audience and rhetorical intent of verses so often associated with racial readings.   For example, the same Nephi who wrote both “skin of blackness” and “all are alike unto God” also wrote:

“…And these twelve ministers whom thou beholdest shall judge thy seed. And, behold, they are righteous forever; for because of their faith in the Lamb of God their garments are made white in his blood.”
And the angel said unto me, “Look!” And I looked, and beheld three generations pass away in righteousness; and their garments were white even like unto the Lamb of God. And the angel said unto me, “These are made white in the blood of the Lamb, because of their faith in him.” (Nephi 12:10-11)

See also 

So notion that skins can be garments and garments can represent both blessing and curses relative to covenants is present throughout the Book of Mormon.  I do not find shallow mockery and incredulity shows evidence of having weighed and considered that.

With respect to the plain meaning of the text, and what is "obvious," the whole point of the parable of the Sower is that the same words, planted in different soils, nurtured in different ways, can radically changed the harvest. Of that parable, Jesus says "Know ye not this parable? How then will ye know all parables?"  Knowing that soil and nurture of words can change their meaning is a crucial teaching of Jesus.

For example, regarding the plain meaning of "other sheep" Jesus explained in 3 Nephi that he had disciples who supposed they understood, and did not ask, and therefore, were not taught.   If we think we know what we are looking at, we may not see what is actually there.

What sort of pre-existing suppositions existed in Joseph Smith's 19th century context?  From Americanist Approaches to the Book of Mormon:

I find it easy to recognize that early readers of the Book of Mormon, and many present readers, saw only what they expect to see, rather than what is really there. 

But seeing what you expect to see, rather than what is there, leads to problems. Reading the text as “a series of drearily familiar racist tropes” does not quite fit. Indeed, Jeremy Talmage reports that: 
"The racial worldview of the Book of Mormon is a historical anomaly in that it envisioned Native Americans as either black or white when nearly everyone else identified Indians as red. As it turns out, this radically departed from the personal views of Joseph Smith and his nineteenth-century culture. The description of Native Americans as red, which one should expect to find in the Book of Mormon, simply is not there."

Jeremy Talmadge, “Black, White, and Red All Over: Skin Color in the Book of Mormon”, Journal of Book of Mormon Studies, https://scholarsarchive.byu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1633&context=jbms

Karl R. Popper, The Myth of the Framework: In Defence of Science and Rationality (New York: Routledge, 1994), 84–85, https://books.google.com/books?

FWIW,

Kevin Christensen

Canonsburg, PA 

Let's cut to the chase.  There is a lot of language about the mark being skin of darkness. Language that it the dark skin was places so the Lamanites would become loathsome to the Nephites.  Is it your position that the BoM language was NOT referring to skin being darkened.

"The racial worldview of the Book of Mormon is a historical anomaly in that it envisioned Native Americans as either black or white when nearly everyone else identified Indians as red. As it turns out, this radically departed from the personal views of Joseph Smith and his nineteenth-century culture. The description of Native Americans as red, which one should expect to find in the Book of Mormon, simply is not there."

The description of a dark-skinned race that killed off a superior white race is a common American myth from that time period. I’m puzzled as to why Talmadge thinks this common trope is anomalous. 

2 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

It’s not a minute long apologetic either.  For those who don’t have Tic Tock brain rot:

Edit to add:  very much worth a watch ~15 minutes 

Edited by SteveO
8 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

"The racial worldview of the Book of Mormon is a historical anomaly in that it envisioned Native Americans as either black or white when nearly everyone else identified Indians as red. As it turns out, this radically departed from the personal views of Joseph Smith and his nineteenth-century culture. The description of Native Americans as red, which one should expect to find in the Book of Mormon, simply is not there."

The description of a dark-skinned race that killed off a superior white race is a common American myth from that time period. I’m puzzled as to why Talmadge thinks this common trope is anomalous. 

Talmage is talking about the "red" skin.  It is odd that the Book of Mormon never says red skin.

At what point do amateur apologists realize that all of the ways they are "smarter" than virtually every single member of the First Presidency and Q12 for the past 150 years in terms of re-explaining doctrinal problems is no different than us apostates who were critical of those same members of the First Presidency and Q12, only we were branded "apostates" and the new "apologists" are just adding their own "further light and knowledge"? If this weak apologetic had any basis in any teaching of any past leaders acting within their duty to interpret and teach scripture, wouldn't the Church, itself, be promoting it, rather than an amateur on social media?

Edited by ttribe