Seriously No Politics ×

On 2/9/2024 at 9:36 PM, rpn said:

Everyone needs some money (and/or tradeable items) they can access when/if there is widespread bank or other failures (money managers generally suggest six months or three months for food, fuel, and regular supplies and an emergency fund enough to cover all expenses starting at 1 month and growing to 6, only some of it in cash at home.)   But it is more important to be able successfully grow and store food and be independent in daily living because you've don it before.   (I have a secret place where I store $500-1000, in small bills for when I need to buy gas when the electricity is down in major storms.)

Perhaps even more important is having established relationships with local trades and producers. Human life and civilisation, essentially survival and perpetuation, is more about relationships and less about commodities. Commodities are the product of relationships.

Edited by Meadowchik
On 2/9/2024 at 10:09 PM, LoudmouthMormon said:

Yes, I've seen the latest increase in people talking about this stuff.  10 years ago, my daughter's pediatric surgeon pulled up and moved to another country because of coming hard times, and we had to scramble to find another doc for her follow-up care.  The people in her practice were miffed.   About 5 years ago, the dentist in my ward put in maybe $20 grand in "off the grid" improvements on his house, and got a garden and a bunch of chickens.   And just a few months ago, when the news of cloned chicken hit, the backyard chicken community probably grew 10-15% overnight as everyone was forecasting the end of the availability of meat. 

Fuller answer:

I started paying attention in the early 1970's, when my girlfriend and bestest buddy's dad packed everyone up and fled Utah, relocating to Jackson County Missouri, in preparation for the coming end times.  I was like 6.  We were gonna grow up and get married.  I was as heartbroken as a little kid could possibly be.  Also in the '70's, the union democrats were certain that the Japanese were building nuclear devices into the cars we were buying.  The time was "soon". 

I paid attention again in the '80's, as we all grew up under the threat of MAD (mutual assured destruction) with the Soviet Union.  The movie Red Dawn did more to inspire us to do food storage, than any church lesson.  Plus, we had to be able to bug out to the mountains at a moment's notice for when the Ruskies attacked.

After the USSR fell, I was confidently assured by a tinfoil-hat wearing coworker that the collapse had all been faked, they were still gonna invade and take over.  I should "look for them in the UN", which was the most luciferian entity lucifer had ever created on earth.  Our constitution hung by a thread.  (John Birchers are always a hoot to talk too.  I think you can still find some out there.)

In the 2000's, we learned about EMPs, and were certain either an enemy state or terroristic nonstate actor would soon be nuking us from orbit, but there'd be no fireball we'd die from, our cars would all just stop working and there'd be no electricity and we'd all starve that winter.   

As the internet showed up, Roger K. Young and his crew at Another Voice of Warning began having visions about the impending callout.  The entire country was peppered with people who went to church wondering if this was the week the Bishop would read a letter from the pulpit, creating captains of 10 and captains of 50, and we'd all pack up in our RV's and head to the rocky mountains to wait out the impending collapse in the relative safety of Zion.

From the 2010's to present, I've had a handful of end-times buddies come up with various scenarios.  The latest 2:

- The prophecies in the book of Ezra, coupled with the number of arrows held by the eagle on our currency, coincide with US presidential elections.  The prophecy indicates Trump would be the last president, and he'd be assassinated in his 2nd term.  (This one died off 3 years ago, after Biden took office.)

- The current prophecy is still in the book of Ezra, but you drop the arrows and eagle, and you pick up how obviously the reign of the Kings of the Jews, match up nicely with the governors of Utah.  Current prophecy (updated by my buddy just last month), looks like this:

8EbLQ3B.png

So fascinated by all this stuff!

Joseph Smith's early followers believed the End Times to be imminent then. 

I think that to the discontented there is something cloying and tempting about the End Times. If there's too much investment in End Times that can breed a dangerous disengagenent from making the current world work, not unlike a gambler spending their money on slots instead of groceries.

Edited by Meadowchik
4 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

Joseph Smith's early followers believed the End Times to be imminent then. 

I think that to the discontented there is something cloying and tempting about the End Times. If there's too much investment in End Times that can breed a dangerous disengagenent from making the current world work, not unlike a gambler spending their money on slots instead of groceries.

And I think this is the other side of the coin for, say, someone who instead of investing in End Times is overly invested in making money, like money they'll never possibly be able to spend. (Not that someone cannot be doing both--billionaires build bunkers too.) 

But I think the solution to either one is the same: learning to derive happiness in the treasure of the here and now, especially relationships.

On 2/9/2024 at 5:12 PM, Rain said:

I have not seen an end of the world panic increase. I've just seen it go up and down over the years depending on the area you live. 

They are, and so are ATMs

23 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Food storage is coming out my ears ever since inheriting some of my in-law's food when he passed away and eventually she went to an assisted living. But they bought some awesome food storage, not the typical. I will hopefully get to share it with others. 

How nice!   Where did you say you lived?   👹  ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Well, it's happening all over again! These people believe similar to the others like Chad and Lori Daybell. I just cannot stand this. It's sad that the LDS people veer into these waters. I haven't listened fully to it, so I may have jumped to my own conclusions, but the red flags are everywhere. :(

18 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Welp, my house is in the path of totality for that ecipse. Does that mean I live through the end of the world or do I get to die?

I think you need to sell tickets for people to camp at your house! Can I be the first? ;) Sort of serious though. 

4 hours ago, Tacenda said:

Well, it's happening all over again! These people believe similar to the others like Chad and Lori Daybell. I just cannot stand this. It's sad that the LDS people veer into these waters. I haven't listened fully to it, so I may have jumped to my own conclusions, but the red flags are everywhere. :(

Can you paraphrase that?

5 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Can you paraphrase that?

Do you remember the threads on the board about Chad Daybell and Julie Rowe's visions about the end of times coming? Well, that didn't happen when they said. The people in the video, particularly the women talk about their children having visions and dreams about the end of the world, I think they are prodding them though.

And the gentleman in the video could be Chad all over again saying he's had the visions. Apparently we need to worry about the eclipse that's coming in April and it being a sign the end is near.

But you'd really have to watch to understand. If I'm wrong, well, I guess they were right, but so far these doomsday people such as Julie Rowe have been wrong and want to sell books or be on podcasts.

Several with the Preparing a People or AVOW (Another Voice of Warning) with Chad Daybell, Julie Rowe etc. would have conferences with speakers.

Here's a FairLDS write up about Preparing a People: https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/home-page/current-events/the-vallow-daybell-trial/preparing-a-people

This was probably the opposite of paraphrasing, sorry if too long.

Edited by Tacenda

The people in the video, particularly the women talk about their children having visions and dreams about the end of the world, I think they are prodding them though.

If the kids are around when there is heavy discussion about end times with vivid descriptions, I would not be the least surprised if that is what triggered their dreams.  I have had a couple of end times dreams myself, though not lately as far as I can tell as I have lost the ability to remember my current dreams.  I vividly remember a few earlier dreams including one of Christ’s second coming.  Still makes me cry the moment I think of it and it’s been over 45 years.  I did get a little anxious after that dream, it being so intense and unusual.  More of a ‘yeah, not actually happening…but what if it did?’ than actual fear (let’s just say it was not a comforting dream).

I suspect most of my end times dreams are my usually very mild abandonment issues popping up under stress, would not be the least bit surprised if the kids were reacting in a similar way.

1 minute ago, Calm said:

If the kids are around when there is heavy discussion about end times with vivid descriptions, I would not be the least surprised if that is what triggered their dreams.  I have had a couple of end times dreams myself, though not lately as far as I can tell as I have lost the ability to remember my current dreams.  I vividly remember a few earlier dreams including one of Christ’s second coming.  Still makes me cry the moment I think of it and it’s been over 45 years.  I did get a little anxious after that dream, it being so intense and unusual.  More of a ‘yeah, not actually happening…but what if it did?’ than actual fear (let’s just say it was not a comforting dream).

I suspect most of my end times dreams are my usually very mild abandonment issues popping up under stress, would not be the least bit surprised if the kids were reacting in a similar way.

Good call Calm, I think that's so true and how what we think or hear shows up in our dreams later. 

Do you remember the threads on the board about Chad Daybell and Julie Rowe's visions about the end of times coming? Well, that didn't happen when they said. The people in the video, particularly the women talk about their children having visions and dreams about the end of the world, I think they are prodding them though.

And the gentleman in the video could be Chad all over again saying he's had the visions. Apparently we need to worry about the eclipse that's coming in April and it being a sign the end is near.

But you'd really have to watch to understand. If I'm wrong, well, I guess they were right, but so far these doomsday people such as Julie Rowe have been wrong and want to sell books or be on podcasts.

Several with the Preparing a People or AVOW (Another Voice of Warning) with Chad Daybell, Julie Rowe etc. would have conferences with speakers.

Here's a FairLDS write up about Preparing a People: https://www.fairlatterdaysaints.org/home-page/current-events/the-vallow-daybell-trial/preparing-a-people

This was probably the opposite of paraphrasing, sorry if too long.

Can you give an approximate time in the video where they get into the meat of their claims?  So we can skip the preliminaries and introductions of people we don’t really need to know.  I am way too antsy to sit through more than 5 minutes of anything I am not focused on right now.

57 minutes ago, Calm said:

Can you give an approximate time in the video where they get into the meat of their claims?  So we can skip the preliminaries and introductions of people we don’t really need to know.  I am way too antsy to sit through more than 5 minutes of anything I am not focused on right now.

I am painting my son's place today but I'll try. Towards the end of the youtube, it's a lot more sane to me. It's all about Christ etc. so not bad at all. 

In the beginning it's all about dreams and visions of the end of time and 144,000 people has been mentioned throughout. Some timestamps in the beginning are: 4:38 Polly prayed for a sign and it came through her son in visions. Her son said, "Mommy, Jesus showed me a vision". And he was given a set time, the eclipse in April. Jesus showed him the missionaries are going to come home before the Lord puts out His judgement.  Then Polly went to the temple to find out if what her son told her was true. Then she was told by Jesus it was true. She mentions the 144,000 people. She is shown and testifies that these things are true. She mentions her friend Tiffany (another panelist), at about 9 minutes in and then Tiffany shares how her son as well had dreams similar to Polly's son such as invasions with airplanes falling out of the sky. Tiffany said her kids know that if they have dreams they are to come to her and tell her. Then at 14:12 she introduces Matt Jeppson's experiences with the eclipse that occurred previously. It was his testimony that felt off to me at first, but maybe it's just me jumping to my conclusions. They are not nearly as bad as the Daybell's and Rowe.

Calm, if you care to, maybe you could give your input. I'm too out of the loop and my heart isn't as all in as a member. So I'm jaded. It's my first initial response to their warnings, that brought me back to the horrendous times with the Daybell's that made me hearken back. So my bad for sure if I'm totally off the mark here and they're innocent. 

I wish I could have gave more input, but time is short and I'm suppose to be painting. :)

Edited by Tacenda
5 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

wish I could have gave more input, but time is short and I'm suppose to be painting. :)

This is good. Enough to help me focus later (got a doctor’s appointment coming up that is making me scattered for now, so the plan is tonight).

23 minutes ago, MustardSeed said:

If you understand that dreams are the brains way of solving problems...

I wonder what problem my brain was trying to solve a couple of nights ago when I had a dream that a baby bear was following me in the forest and I couldn't shake it.

6 hours ago, Tacenda said:

I am painting my son's place today but I'll try. Towards the end of the youtube, it's a lot more sane to me. It's all about Christ etc. so not bad at all. 

In the beginning it's all about dreams and visions of the end of time and 144,000 people has been mentioned throughout. Some timestamps in the beginning are: 4:38 Polly prayed for a sign and it came through her son in visions. Her son said, "Mommy, Jesus showed me a vision". And he was given a set time, the eclipse in April. Jesus showed him the missionaries are going to come home before the Lord puts out His judgement.  Then Polly went to the temple to find out if what her son told her was true. Then she was told by Jesus it was true. She mentions the 144,000 people. She is shown and testifies that these things are true. She mentions her friend Tiffany (another panelist), at about 9 minutes in and then Tiffany shares how her son as well had dreams similar to Polly's son such as invasions with airplanes falling out of the sky. Tiffany said her kids know that if they have dreams they are to come to her and tell her. Then at 14:12 she introduces Matt Jeppson's experiences with the eclipse that occurred previously. It was his testimony that felt off to me at first, but maybe it's just me jumping to my conclusions. They are not nearly as bad as the Daybell's and Rowe.

Calm, if you care to, maybe you could give your input. I'm too out of the loop and my heart isn't as all in as a member. So I'm jaded. It's my first initial response to their warnings, that brought me back to the horrendous times with the Daybell's that made me hearken back. So my bad for sure if I'm totally off the mark here and they're innocent. 

I wish I could have gave more input, but time is short and I'm suppose to be painting. :)

I hope it's April. I'm broke as a piece of glass. Taking 4 months of for my hernia killed my finances. It took 3 tests and 2 months to figure out what it was, then a month wait for the operation, then 6 weeks for recovery.

I've had End Times visions too but they were years ago with no date.

27 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

I hope it's April. I'm broke as a piece of glass. Taking 4 months of for my hernia killed my finances. It took 3 tests and 2 months to figure out what it was, then a month wait for the operation, then 6 weeks for recovery.

I've had End Times visions too but they were years ago with no date.

Darn, hope you get out of this slump, and the windfall of luck comes your way. Nope, it's not April yet. ;) What happens in April? Perhaps something to do with the hernia recovery?

But daylight savings is this weekend, more daylight for you to enjoy. :) Take care, I'm so sorry your hernia op killed the finances, bummer. :( 

Edited by Tacenda
6 hours ago, ksfisher said:

I wonder what problem my brain was trying to solve a couple of nights ago when I had a dream that a baby bear was following me in the forest and I couldn't shake it.

Good question.  What do think it means :)