Seriously No Politics ×

What’s the endgame?

11 minutes ago, jkwilliams said:

Well, filthy suggests you haven’t repented. It sounds like you have. 

Doesn’t help as much as you might think if a large part of you misses the sin. I would have been one of the Israelites under Moses that talked up how nice Egypt was compared to this messed up wilderness. If I somehow made it to the Promised Land I would then complain that there does not seem to be milk and honey flowing everywhere as promised.

26 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

Doesn’t help as much as you might think if a large part of you misses the sin. I would have been one of the Israelites under Moses that talked up how nice Egypt was compared to this messed up wilderness. If I somehow made it to the Promised Land I would then complain that there does not seem to be milk and honey flowing everywhere as promised.

I’m well aware of that. Repenting of something doesn’t mean you stop wanting to do it. 

6 hours ago, Teancum said:

How do you define "gutting itself?" 

Yet another genius.....  ;)

5 hours ago, The Nehor said:

If I didn't miss sin I wouldn't be a man.  The best I can do is to fight for my good desires to win out.  That doesn't make me or you a filthy degenerate.  You can't label yourself that way regardless of what you've done.  To me the bigger sin is to lie down and quit or to completely ignore the good within you and the good you've already done.  The past is over.  We only have room for the present.  

Edited by mbh26
3 hours ago, The Nehor said:

So am I down to perverted degenerate or just being a pervert?

Now just need to test myself for vacuity, toffee nosery, and make sure to wear deodorant.

Now quit being a Ninnyhammer!!

;)

On 8/5/2022 at 1:32 PM, Alexi Nakatology said:

What’s the pace of this show compared to the contemporary Star Trek? Always been sort of interested

It is much more interconnected and more of an ongoing narrative than most shows of the time. The best way to appreciate it is that it is basically a play complete with scenery chewing and melodrama but is also poignant and touching at times.

On 8/5/2022 at 4:53 AM, Alexi Nakatology said:

How is it all unfolding?

Perhaps our spirituality - the "oil in our lamps", to borrow a metaphor from the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins - is not determined so much by what we believe, as by how we love.

From this perspective it matters not whether individuals out-pace institutions or vice-versa.  I think that in general we are moving in the right direction... and I'm intentionally casting a very wide net here with the word "we".

Edited by manol
On 8/5/2022 at 11:04 AM, teddyaware said:

Because I had the unfortunate experience of having to deal regularly with someone who has a bonafide case of Narcissistic Personality Disorder, I’ve developed an extreme distaste for the proud and haughty looks of those delusional people think they’re superior to everyone else.

One of the things we have the ability to choose is, the LENS through which we view others.  We are called upon to possess the Pure Love of Christ, and the Pure Love of Christ sees through a lens which is inclusive of those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, of those we disagree with, and of everyone else. 

The lens we see others through is in effect the spiritual "radio frequency" WE OURSELVES are tuned in to.  And whatever that frequency is, we will PERCEIVE that which is on the same frequency out there, and will interpret such as CONFIRMATION that our lens is the correct one.  It is inherent in our very nature that we FIND that which we SEEK... or that we PERCEIVE that which we are LOOKING FOR.   So if we are LOOKING FOR jerks, that is what we will SEE.  If we are looking for inherently holy beings on their own journeys of eternal progression, then that is what we will see. 

If we wish to change what we FIND in those around us, the place where the change happens is at the level of what WE are LOOKING FOR.  If we DELIBERATELY CHOOSE to look through eyes that would see the Christ in disguise in the least among us to the extent we are able to in the moment, then the world we SEE will begin to transform. 

(I'm not claiming this paradigm is "demonstrably true", but do claim it is at least "pragmatic".)

We are not alone in this endeavor.  Christ is in our midst wherever two or more are gathered in his name.  Christ stands at the door and knocks, our role is to open the door and invite him in. 

Edited by manol
On 8/5/2022 at 3:53 AM, Alexi Nakatology said:

... What say ye, saints of the one true church?

Perhaps I'm just funny that way, but I have a hard time believing that a question is posed in good faith when it includes sneering such as this.  :huh: :unknw: Just sayin'! <_< :rolleyes: 

On 8/7/2022 at 2:11 PM, The Nehor said:

It is much more interconnected and more of an ongoing narrative than most shows of the time. The best way to appreciate it is that it is basically a play complete with scenery chewing and melodrama but is also poignant and touching at times.

Hmm, thanks for the curation : ) 

I’ve seen more than a few episodes of each Star Trek so I get what you’re saying, thank you 😌

On 8/7/2022 at 2:58 PM, manol said:

Perhaps our spirituality - the "oil in our lamps", to borrow a metaphor from the Parable of the Wise and Foolish Virgins - is not determined so much by what we believe, as by how we love.

From this perspective it matters not whether individuals out-pace institutions or vice-versa.  I think that in general we are moving in the right direction... and I'm intentionally casting a very wide net here with the word "we".

Ah, that’s good advice I think about pretty often

but I wouldn’t say it doesn’t matter to the individuals maybe… but yeah, fair point. I did also cast a very wide net with my OP

On 8/7/2022 at 4:23 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

Perhaps I'm just funny that way, but I have a hard time believing that a question is posed in good faith when it includes sneering such as this.  :huh: :unknw: Just sayin'! <_< :rolleyes: 

Haha, I don’t mean to sound sneering or in bad faith…

in fact I like to think of myself as post-sneer 😌 but often it’s only me that hears it 

On 8/5/2022 at 8:24 PM, Alexi Nakatology said:

Didn’t mean to start any squabbles 😬

Heh! This place IS a squabble! You fit in just fine!

On 8/7/2022 at 1:01 PM, manol said:

One of the things we have the ability to choose is, the LENS through which we view others.  We are called upon to possess the Pure Love of Christ, and the Pure Love of Christ sees through a lens which is inclusive of those with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, of those we disagree with, and of everyone else. 

The lens we see others through is in effect the spiritual "radio frequency" WE OURSELVES are tuned in to.  And whatever that frequency is, we will PERCEIVE that which is on the same frequency out there, and will interpret such as CONFIRMATION that our lens is the correct one.  It is inherent in our very nature that we FIND that which we SEEK... or that we PERCEIVE that which we are LOOKING FOR.   So if we are LOOKING FOR jerks, that is what we will SEE.  If we are looking for inherently holy beings on their own journeys of eternal progression, then that is what we will see. 

If we wish to change what we FIND in those around us, the place where the change happens is at the level of what WE are LOOKING FOR.  If we DELIBERATELY CHOOSE to look through eyes that would see the Christ in disguise in the least among us to the extent we are able to in the moment, then the world we SEE will begin to transform. 

(I'm not claiming this paradigm is "demonstrably true", but do claim it is at least "pragmatic".)

We are not alone in this endeavor.  Christ is in our midst wherever two or more are gathered in his name.  Christ stands at the door and knocks, our role is to open the door and invite him in. 

And so we see we all have different realities according to our experience 

1 hour ago, mfbukowski said:

And so we see we all have different realities according to our experience 

Yes, and imo choice is involved.  This may not be a popular idea, but I think it can be a potentially transformational one:

"Our experience" is filtered through "the lens we CHOOSE to see through".  Unfortunately it is generally assumed that the lens is automatically dictated by the experience; this is the path of least resistance so it is very often true, and our "choice" lapses into our "default mode".  So at first it takes deliberate, focused, sustained effort to CHOOSE a different, "higher" lens than our normal default, but over time the new lens can become our default. 

For example, apparently there is a lens through which it make sense to love our "enemies".   Apparently there is a lens through which it makes sense to forgive without keeping score.  Apparently there is a lens through which we may see the Christ in the very least among us. 

Choosing such a lens changes not only the world we see in the present, but also the world we see as our past, our "experiences".  So we can change the past in the present and thereby re-write the probabilities for the future.  In this sense we can "make all things new".

In my opinion.

Edited by manol