I'm a Catholic academic who works at a Protestant university and who has LDS family members.

I am a lector at my parish and teach the adult bible study.

I enjoy thoughtful, respectful interfaith conversations and have read the Book of Mormon.

And I'm much more easygoing than all of that makes me sound. I love movies, guitar, classic rock, boardgames, staying up all night at the IHOP talking Lord of the Rings, and laughing along with the absurdities of life.

I look forward to getting to know you!

8 minutes ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

I'm a Catholic academic who works at a Protestant university and who has LDS family members.

I was raised Catholic many decades ago and am still fond of the church. My Catholic school teachers were about as good as they come. I'd likely still remember my way thru a mass.

Welcome, former Catholic, former LDS bishop,  friendly to both churches, love C. liturgy and spirit/mysticism, not too fond of Scholasticism.  Trained in secular philosophy.

COULD be Catholic with LDS theology and Catholic liturgy.

Weird, huh?

Again, welcome. We might have some good conversations!

Edited by mfbukowski
8 hours ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

I am a lector at my parish and teach the adult bible study.

I enjoy thoughtful, respectful interfaith conversations and have read the Book of Mormon.

And I'm much more easygoing than all of that makes me sound. I love movies, guitar, classic rock, boardgames, staying up all night at the IHOP talking Lord of the Rings, and laughing along with the absurdities of life.

I look forward to getting to know you!

Welcome! You sound like you will fit in just great here! I was never a Catholic, or even a Protestant. Joined the LDS church at age 14. I'm still young at 70.

We have a couple of really groovy Catholics who regularly post here, and I will invoke them so they can be sure to welcome you, too: @MiserereNobis and @3DOP.

I look forward to seeing your posts.

First, thank you Stargazer for the kind intro.

St. Bonaventure....welcome! I have been here since 2004. I came to the Catholic faith in 1995 after examining LDS and Muslim claims to be the one true religion. I look forward to your contributions.

Finally Stargazer, I am eager to respond to your reply to my claim that the Catholic Church has never taught that unbaptized infants endure sense pain in hell. This weekend I hope to shatter your illusions.

God bless you both,

Rory, aka 3DOP

Edited by 3DOP
1 hour ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

I am thankful for the warm welcome! 

Welcome! It's nice to have another Catholic on the board (even if you do consort with heretics at the protestant university 😛)

I joined the board in 2012. There's a wonderful group of people here, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially as you get to know the personalities of the various posters. Rory (3DOP) and I are traditional Catholics. I attend an FSSP parish and sing in the Gregorian chant schola for Mass.

The day I signed up for the board was the feast of Pope St. Pius X, so I decided to use his name. The mods told me that names of religious figures aren't allowed, so I changed it to MiserereNobis. I'm just letting you know in case they ask you to change your name. It'll be nothing personal.

There used to be many more non-LDS here critical of the LDS faith, but that has diminished in recent years. Now it's more of a board discussing internal LDS issues with (from what I can tell) a wide variety of input spanning the LDS and ex-LDS spectrum. My purpose here is to learn about their faith and to clarify anything about our Catholic faith, and now, after all these years, hang out with online friends.

Welcome!

+PAX+

Jesse

ETA: classic rock? I've been a deadicated deadhead since 1993. Any Jerry in your life? I also read LOTR every other year or so.

Edited by MiserereNobis
48 minutes ago, MiserereNobis said:

Welcome! It's nice to have another Catholic on the board (even if you do consort with heretics at the protestant university 😛)

I joined the board in 2012. There's a wonderful group of people here, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it, especially as you get to know the personalities of the various posters. Rory (3DOP) and I are traditional Catholics. I attend an FSSP parish and sing in the Gregorian chant schola for Mass.

The day I signed up for the board was the feast of Pope St. Pius X, so I decided to use his name. The mods told me that names of religious figures aren't allowed, so I changed it to MiserereNobis. I'm just letting you know in case they ask you to change your name. It'll be nothing personal.

There used to be many more non-LDS here critical of the LDS faith, but that has diminished in recent years. Now it's more of a board discussing internal LDS issues with (from what I can tell) a wide variety of input spanning the LDS and ex-LDS spectrum. My purpose here is to learn about their faith and to clarify anything about our Catholic faith, and now, after all these years, hang out with online friends.

Welcome!

+PAX+

Jesse

ETA: classic rock? I've been a deadicated deadhead since 1993. Any Jerry in your life? I also read LOTR every other year or so.

Hey young man. 1993? I saw them in 1976 or '78 at the latest, at the Old Paramount in Portland,  now Arleen Schnitzer Concert Hall. Already singing about getting gray. From Terrapin Station. Right? But I have only read LOTR every eight or ten years of the last 50 or so. Heh.

1 hour ago, MiserereNobis said:

Welcome!

+PAX+

Jesse

I'm not an FSSP regular, but my parish priest does bring in additional Latin elements as the Bishop allows. He has permission to offer a TLM, but only in private.

As for consorting with heretics, I have a properly blessed St. Benedict's Cross in my office. It strikes down every rebel who darkens my door! 

Thanks for the heads up on the possible name change. I can certainly go with another name as necessary.

2 hours ago, Saint Bonaventure said:

Thanks for the heads up on the possible name change. I can certainly go with another name as necessary.

Just tell 'em it's just your favorite college basketball team!

;)