Thousands of Temples in converted stake centers

1. DId President Nelson state that thousands of Temples are needed before the Savior returns? I can't find the source and heard he said that in general conference.

2. Please comment (support, detract, constructively criticize) a theory that's not fully mine but which warrants some attention IMHO:

3,400 or so current stakes

minus 1,400 for those within one hour of existing TEmples (looking in your direction, Utah)

= 2,000 stake centers outside 1 hour travel radius of existing Temples

When I lived in UT about 10 years ago, I heard from a stake high council member who worked at HQ that there had been discussion about converting part of stake centers into Temples. 

I believe President Nelson might announce this in 6-12 months. 

Thoughts?

1.  I don't remember Pres. Nelson saying that in GC but I could have missed it.

2.  I started hearing this rumor in the 90s when I was a teenager but I have no idea where it comes from or how valid it is.  

3 hours ago, CelestialSeething said:

When I lived in UT about 10 years ago, I heard from a stake high council member who worked at HQ that there had been discussion about converting part of stake centers into Temples. 

It sounds like something that would be worth discussing.  With the church continuing to announce and build temples across the globe it doesn't sound like something that is being acted on.  As stake centers double as meeting houses for wards is there sufficient space in existing buildings?

3 hours ago, CelestialSeething said:

I believe President Nelson might announce this in 6-12 months. 

Why do you believe this?

I don't think the Lord needs thousands of temples before He returns. Hundreds, surely, and we have that.

It is my opinion that within the order of magnitude we have now, we will have sufficient for our needs. The most recent announcement brings the number of announced, brings the total to:

• 168 Dedicated (9 under renovation)
  • 44 Under Construction
  • 53 Announced

The grand total being 265.

If 12 new temples are announced each General Conference, then assuming the 2nd Coming occurs in 2051 (when I will be 100 years old), we will have a total of 985 temples operating, under construction, or announced. Which is close to, but not a thousand, obviously. And within the order of magnitude. As some have pointed out in other topics, the church definitely has the funds to build all these -- assuming the value of money doesn't go to zero during all the coming tribulation.

Given that after the initial phase of post-Second-Coming Millennium missionary work, the most important task of humanity will be proxy temple work, we will definitely need thousands of temples. So it seems that construction-allied trades will be in great demand, by and by. So, study up!

Edited by Stargazer
3 hours ago, Fether said:

I’ve always considered maybe a traveling temple. Maybe a cruise ship style ship sailing the pacific and down the African coast providing dozens of countries with a temple every 6 months or so

It was that or an airplane that lands and runs sessions.

I think the convert stake centers into temples thing mostly started around that supposedly being possible at the Jerusalem Center in Israel and kicking off the Second Coming any second now. This seems like it is just a generalization.

I am curious why we would need to suddenly convert every stake center into a temple. Who would run them all and attend them? Is this just having temples for the sake of hitting a prophesied number? Seems kind of pointless.

On 10/7/2021 at 6:36 AM, CelestialSeething said:

A senior missionary couple in my mission who were close friends with Elder Faust said he told them this had been discussed (obviously decades ago). That's not verification, just more rumour.

In my opinion, this idea (like an endowment house) may have made sense when the Church was still poor. We aren't poor anymore.

22 minutes ago, Hamba Tuhan said:

A senior missionary couple in my mission who were close friends with Elder Faust said he told them this had been discussed (obviously decades ago). That's not verification, just more rumour.

In my opinion, this idea (like an endowment house) may have made sense when the Church was still poor. We aren't poor anymore.

It might make sense if temples are meant to become gathering places in times of trouble, but it seems they wouldn’t be modified until the need was there, war broke out or whatever…I could see having a prepackaged  set of necessaries to function as a temple stored at a stake center to break out…but unless someone besides apostles can dedicate temples, not sure how that would work.