Perseverance Has Landed!

47 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

So exciting! I heard the other day there are more galaxies or maybe stars, can't remember, than grains of sand. Mind boggling! 

I wrote about that in a recent post in that thread that devolved into bickering over polygamy. Is that where you heard it?

And that's more galaxies than grains of sand, btw. 😁

Edited by Stargazer
22 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I am really excited to report that after 7 months of journeying through space and an exciting descent to the surface of Mars, the Perseverance probe/lander/rover has landed successfully and has transmitted its first images!!! Yay!

Mars_2020_Rover_-_Artist's_Concept.png

Very cool, I love all things “Space”, but what more are we trying to locate? This is either the 3rd of 4th one, but still “VERY COOL“! 

On 2/18/2021 at 5:26 PM, Tacenda said:

So exciting! I heard the other day there are more galaxies or maybe stars, can't remember, than grains of sand. Mind boggling! 

We have already been visited buy Machinery from another civilization. I invite you to read Extraterrestrial by Avi Loeb. It's about Oumuamua that came through our solar system in 2017. He is the head of astrophysics at Harvard. His theory has been met with skepticism by other people in the field. I am convinced because Oumuamua changed course and speed.

6 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

We have already been visited buy Machinery from another civilization. I invite you to read Extraterrestrial by Avi Loeb. It's about Oumuamua that came through our solar system in 2017. He is the head of astrophysics at Harvard. His theory has been met with skepticism by other people in the field. I am convinced because Oumuamua changed course and speed.

It is my personal opinion that there is indeed life and inhabitants in other galaxies.  One cannot gaze up into the heavens on a clear night sky and believe that we are the only inhabitants in the vastness of space and other "stars."  I don't mean little green men, etc., but intelligent beings much like us... some ahead of us intellectually... some the same... and some behind us... the scriptures tell us that God created worlds without number... why create them if they are to be empty and useless... just look at how we have progressed since I was a child in the early 40's... At age 80, I love to think back to when I was a young girl and see the advancements in every field that we have taken  advantage of for our benefit as a people... now if we could just live in peace and not blow ourselves up...

from the beach on a lovely evening, waiting for BYU volleyball to come on.... we won in  men's basketball against LMU this afternoon... Go Cougs!

1 minute ago, Garden Girl said:

It is my personal opinion that there is indeed life and inhabitants in other galaxies.  One cannot gaze up into the heavens on a clear night sky and believe that we are the only inhabitants in the vastness of space and other "stars."  I don't mean little green men, etc., but intelligent beings much like us... some ahead of us intellectually... some the same... and some behind us... the scriptures tell us that God created worlds without number... why create them if they are to be empty and useless... just look at how we have progressed since I was a child in the early 40's... At age 80, I love to think back to when I was a young girl and see the advancements in every field that we have taken  advantage of for our benefit as a people... now if we could just live in peace and not blow ourselves up...

from the beach on a lovely evening, waiting for BYU volleyball to come on.... we won in  men's basketball against LMU this afternoon... Go Cougs!

GG

11 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Number 5 is alive!

40 minutes ago, rodheadlee said:

Nobody got the reference to the movie Short Circuit?

Gimme a chance, willya?  I just saw it! :D:rofl::D:friends:

On 2/18/2021 at 6:26 PM, Tacenda said:

Moses 1 (Ellipses added.)

33 And worlds without number have I created; and I also created them for mine own purpose; and by the Son I created them, which is mine Only Begotten. …

35 But only an account of this earth, and the inhabitants thereof, give I unto you. For behold, there are many worlds that have passed away by the word of my power. And there are many that now stand, and innumerable are they unto man; but all things are numbered unto me, for they are mine and I know them.

22 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Number 5 is alive!

11 hours ago, rodheadlee said:

Nobody got the reference to the movie Short Circuit?

10 hours ago, Kenngo1969 said:

Gimme a chance, willya?  I just saw it! :D:rofl::D:friends:

1 hour ago, rodheadlee said:

Well perseverance was our fifth robot on Mars.😄

:good::D

42 minutes ago, strappinglad said:

Did the name Oumaumau come from the song by ,who was it ??? the Beach boys or some such?/ 

Oumaumau , papa oumaumau .

It means scout in Hawaiian. It was first spotted by one of the Hawaiian telescopes 

5 hours ago, strappinglad said:

I think this is what I was remembering. Boy what a weird performance. The mau mau starts about half way through. 

The Trashmen - Surfin Bird - Bird is the Word 1963 (RE-MASTERED) (ALT End Video) (OFFICIAL VIDEO) - YouTube

Oh....I think I could have lived the rest of my life meaningfully without ever seeing or hearing that. My ears and brain are wondering “why, oh why...”.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:20 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

There are already complaints that we didn't send a probe to Europa (the Jupiter moon).

I think there is a lot of justifiable concern that we might inadvertantly contaminate Europa's under-the-ice oceans.

On 2/19/2021 at 11:20 PM, Robert F. Smith said:

Meantime, I want to see the onboard helidrone fly.

Heck, yeah!

On 2/20/2021 at 7:21 PM, rodheadlee said:

Arthur C. Clarke wrote about this kind of thing already: Rendezvous with Rama

Ummm, I'd be interested to see evidence that it changed course and speed as a result of anything other than gravitational influence. Any object entering the solar system is going to change course and speed in response to the gravity of the sun and the planets, along with any other influences, such as outgassing due to solar heating. One would have to demonstrate that the change was counter to the expected influences in order to be able to claim that the object was an artifact under some form of guidance.