Seriously No Politics ×

Fair Mormon's new YouTube branding strategy

3 hours ago, rongo said:

I think he has a high probability (but not definite) and risk of turning against the Church when his star fades (a la Richard Dutcher).

One big difference is he is a convert (18 or 19 when baptized).  He is not a sheltered LDS kid experimenting with ‘edgy’ (for Saints) to be seen as cool. 

8 hours ago, Nemesis said:

How do I explain the affair? Wasn’t mine to explain.   It is what it was.  Was it a spiritual affair? 

I guess there is some stuff happening over on FB MormonStories that don't look good for John. Someone posted the twitter post by Kate Kelly. And then someone posted this about Rosebud. I read through and this is what Rosebud said about the affair. The below is a snippet.

Fifth Columnist wrote:
Hey Rosebud, rumor has it that JD had an affair with you and that the reason JD met with his SP for so long was to repent of it. Any truth to that?

Good thing I checked back. No more questions after this, please. It’s not that I don’t want to answer, it’s that I do want to remove drama from my life because I have other things to focus on right now. My objective is to protect future victims and fight silence of women in the exMo community. This stuff is rampant. JD’s involvement in it is the OSF board’s problem, now. Not mine.

Answer:

Yes and no.

Legally speaking, we did not have an affair because, legally, an affair must include sexual intercourse. We were not as chaste as 13-yos at their first junior high school dance.

We did have what I would call an “emotional affair” that I now understand was very predatory. At the time I did not yet comprehend the ways JD was manipulating me or intentionally using my vulnerabilities against me. 
4 hours ago, Nemesis said:

There you go again with hiring.  As far as I know they are not being financially compensated for their videos.  Could be wrong but I would think they put their money elsewhere than producing short meme videos.  Maybe @Calmcan verify. 

Nemesis

I don’t know the details, though I am guessing expenses were covered.  It is unlikely they have enough wealth to volunteer at that level, unlike some of our members.  This stuff took a lot of time for them and as far as I know these guys have to work to support themselves.

I am going to wait until the announcement comes out to ask for more clarifications because Scott and others need a break to breathe and maybe that could help a bit. 

4 hours ago, jkwilliams said:

As I said, I couldn't care less about John Dehlin. I didn't even realize RFM was associated with him until someone pointed it out this morning. I had fun doing that interview. I like consig, and he's been a good friend to me over the years. 

I highly recommend those on the board to take a listen. I found it faith promoting! :)

35 minutes ago, Calm said:

The videos were done in 2019. The only thing questionable at the time might have been the fact he was a convert and therefore not clued into all the subtleties of Mormon Nice, but I wasn’t a devoted follower, just saw a few things so I may have missed stuff. 

As to his later behaviour, we don’t tend to surveillance much and being a volunteer organization it is not like we have much say over what people do in their spare time. 

Having said that, one issue of Mormon Nice is we try to work with people to see if we can arrive at a win-win situation rather than boot them at the first sign of trouble. Sometimes that works, a very few times it has not.  I personally think there should be some leeway with young men and women working out what is appropriate for their goals in life.  It would be unfortunate to destroy passion or sour them on trying to help others because we are uncomfortable or even unhappy with what they are doing. 

I agree Calm, youth make mistakes, and if we came down too hard, who knows what that might do. I think FM should keep them on, but maybe have a Pow Wow on some things. :) I've warmed up to Kwaku somewhat, surprisingly. But I'm still p.o.'d about his large dance party and not caring to take covid seriously. And hopefully he'll apologize about retweeting someone's violent video. But he is the Young/Dumb kid. As he's even named himself that. Hopefully he'll smarten up soon. 

Edited by Tacenda

Did this get posted yet?

https://dearjohndehlin.wordpress.com/2020/12/07/john-dehlin-on-the-rhetorical-use-of-911/

Recently, a truly terrible thing happened to John Dehlin, at least in his own eyes. He got memed and called 911. To make sure that this is entirely clear, I just wrote that he got memed, not maimed as one might suppose from his reaction, and decided to call 911....

Just saw this on FB MormonStories group. I think Kwaku needs to quit the twittering. Someone out there could take it serious and go after John. I'm not a fan of John Dehlin, but I feel like it's best to be on the safe side and not possibly endanger someone. We do have nuts in the world. 

129845084_10218764916734732_8970083899084500426_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=IIRiJ9R6N3YAX9KLkeC&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=4eee71bf67eddb7b29230024e15a07aa&oe=5FF57661

Edited by Tacenda

Supposedly it wasn't Kwaku and Cardon that Dehlin feared so much as commenters in some thread or tweet that were the the threats. As much as I dislike Dehlin, if that is the case the above blog post is a strawman argument. But I don't know either way. :{

15 minutes ago, Tacenda said:

Just saw this on FB MormonStories group. I think Kwaku needs to quit the twittering. Someone out there could take it serious and go after John. I'm not a fan of John Dehlin, but I feel like it's best to be on the safe side and not possibly endanger someone. We do have nuts in the world. 

129845084_10218764916734732_8970083899084500426_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&ccb=2&_nc_sid=b9115d&_nc_ohc=IIRiJ9R6N3YAX9KLkeC&_nc_ht=scontent-den4-1.xx&oh=4eee71bf67eddb7b29230024e15a07aa&oe=5FF57661

I saw this yesterday when I first looked for the meme. It’s old. 

It is on MS, I am not seeing it on Kwaku’s Twitter page. 

Edited by Calm
7 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

You're deflecting.

No.  Your claims are completely baseless.  Like Alex Jones level baseless.

You believe that Hannah Sieriac is a white supremacist.  Not because you actually have looked into it.  But because Kishkumen told you so.  Think for yourself.

9 hours ago, juliann said:

So why is DezNat involved with a Black man if they are racists? 

That is a link to a podcast about Greek and Syriac. ?? Is DezNat into dead languages, too?

It's a link to answer your question asking who Seriac is. If you had to ask, I guess you're not really current on FMs social media.

Seriac's blog and This is the Show are both FairMormon productions. 

To your question, it sounds like Kwaku El and DezNat have a shared agenda of going after exmos in very unbecoming ways.

Edited by Meadowchik
7 minutes ago, Ipod Touch said:

No.  Your claims are completely baseless.  Like Alex Jones level baseless.

You believe that Hannah Sieriac is a white supremacist.  Not because you actually have looked into it.  But because Kishkumen told you so.  Think for yourself.

Wow. Talk about baseless claims. 

I did post on the other board about this. And on that thread, I believe I weighed in with my opinion before Kishkumen did.

Look at Hannah Seriac's Twitter to see her association with Deznats. It's out in the open and I find it disturbing.

8 hours ago, CV75 said:

Thank you. What do you see as the parallels between your experience and how "The Church" might interfere with potential proceedings taking place in consequence of the current kerfuffle? Do you see it as local leaders putting personal / ethical / moral pressure on the litigants, or as more of a corporate level financial / legal pressure?

The only parallel is that Juliann brought up an old lawsuit with the Tanners and asked me about my experience with lawsuits.

10 minutes ago, Ipod Touch said:

Ok boomer.

This was a very recent post of Seariac's, and then a very recent post of her friend:

IMG_20201208_080305.jpg

IMG_20201208_080331.jpg

Edited by Meadowchik
Correcting spelling Seariac's name.
2 minutes ago, Meadowchik said:

This was a very recent post of Seariac's, and then a very recent post of her friend:

IMG_20201208_080305.jpg

IMG_20201208_080331.jpg

OMG(oodness)! DezNAT ArE A BUnCH OF NaZI wHItE SuPREMaCISTS!!!!

Get out of here with that nonsense.

Deznat are a bunch of morons.  Idiot kids making "edgy" comments. Your moral panic is just a bunch of pearl clutching.

11 hours ago, Nofear said:

Supposedly it wasn't Kwaku and Cardon that Dehlin feared so much as commenters in some thread or tweet that were the the threats. As much as I dislike Dehlin, if that is the case the above blog post is a strawman argument. But I don't know either way. :{

So why then is Dehlin‘s detailing of the 911 call that he reported those specific individuals and mentioned how they ‘belong to a non-profit that is funded by the Mormon church,’ if his concern was really the commenters? This again encapsulates a lot of issues I have with Dehlin. When he finds out his actions don’t land well with others or the way he intended/hoped, he just retrofits another narrative. I hate to overuse the term goalpost shifting, but...

Edited by Judd
13 minutes ago, Judd said:

So why then is Dehlin‘s detailing of the 911 call that he reported those specific individuals and mentioned how they ‘belong to a non-profit that is funded by the Mormon church,’ if his concern was really the commenters? This again encapsulates a lot of issues I have with Dehlin. When he finds out his actions don’t land well with others or the way he intended/hoped, he just retrofits another narrative. I hate to overuse the term goalpost shifting, but...

My understanding is that he called the police on the advice of a friend of his who happens to be an attorney. The rationalization for calling was that the video was really, really, disturbing and the police should be aware of it. This wasn't a judgment on Dehlin's part that the video was illegal--just that it was something the police should have in their file in case something somehow escalated.

I've been told that if somebody does something that really makes you feel threatened (e.g. posting a video that shows your head being bashed in), it is prudent to call the police and let them make the decision about how to handle it.

3 minutes ago, Analytics said:

My understanding is that he called the police on the advice of a friend of his who happens to be an attorney. The rationalization for calling was that the video was really, really, disturbing and the police should be aware of it. This wasn't a judgment on Dehlin's part that the video was illegal--just that it was something the police should have in their file in case something somehow escalated.

I've been told that if somebody does something that really makes you feel threatened (e.g. posting a video that shows your head being bashed in), it is prudent to call the police and let them make the decision about how to handle it.

I think calling the police was the right thing to do (not 911 though). The video was disgusting and disturbing. That said, Dehlin’s attempt to monetize this, his publicly hosting of the video, and his reaching out to Kwaku all undermine his position as “victim”. 

17 minutes ago, Analytics said:

He posted asking if he should call the police. And if this were just to give police ‘something to have in their file,’ why did he call 911? He called 911 because either he thought this was an emergency or wanted to make it look like it was one, or he called because he is incredibly dense about why it’s not appropriate to call 911 if you’re looking to just “put something in someone’s file.” There really isn’t much middle ground.

In any case, my response was to someone saying that he called police not because of Kwaku or Cardon but because of the threatening comments from others. This is in direct conflict with Dehlin’s own statement that “I took everyone’s advice. I called 911 and reported the following people: [lists Kwaku, Cardon, and Braden].”

Edited by Judd
5 minutes ago, SeekingUnderstanding said:

For the record, I find John Dehlin’s comments about Kwaku also disturbing. It’s gotta be hard to be Kwaku so I’m inclined to cut him a bit of slack (this does not extend to the person who actually created the video). 

Holy racism Batman!