Conference Discussion

16 hours ago, Robert F. Smith said:

I always feel like a whirlwind just went through whenever Elder Holland speaks.  Also his son Matt Holland yesterday -- a chip off the old block.

They look like father and son. Some of their gestures and mannerisms are similar. It’s a complement.

I admire Elder Holland. This talk kinda reminded me of Elder McConkie’s last Conference address. It struck me to the heart.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Sounds like we had some temple announcements, a few tear-jerker like stories, and some admonishments to do better or keep doing better.  

I hate to point out, because I know how it comes off coming from me, but it sounds about the same as every conference, without, perhaps, something that was supposed to turn some heads, or what did President Nelson say cause reason for each to "eat their vitamins".  Or what did I miss?

2 hours ago, Bernard Gui said:

They look like father and son. Some of their gestures and mannerisms are similar. It’s a complement.

I admire Elder Holland. This talk kinda reminded me of Elder McConkie’s last Conference address. It struck me to the heart.

You're not thinking it portends anything, are you? :shok: :blink: :huh: 

All we heard is that he went into the hospital for tests, did not have COVID-19, later was released ... and we haven't heard anything since.  Frankly, I'm worried :huh:, though all any of us can do is "hit what's pitched" and do the best we can to live as well as we can for whatever time we have left.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, stemelbow said:

Sounds like we had some temple announcements, a few tear-jerker like stories, and some admonishments to do better or keep doing better.  

I hate to point out, because I know how it comes off coming from me, but it sounds about the same as every conference, without, perhaps, something that was supposed to turn some heads, or what did President Nelson say cause reason for each to "eat their vitamins".  Or what did I miss?

A lot.  But, by all means, keep being oblivious. :huh: 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Duncan said:

I am super happy for Kiribati to get a temple, the history there is fantastic. Elder Perry created the 1st Stake in 1996. I thought though that they are sinking into the ocean or the ocean is rising, so I hope things will be allright?

Fortunately, the prophets of doom and gloom (especially those of climate change doom and gloom) aren't the Prophets, Seers, and Revelators. ;) 

7 minutes ago, Kenngo1969 said:

A lot.  But, by all means, keep being oblivious. :huh: 

Sheeesh..Ask a simple question and get the Mormon equivalent of "go to hell in a hand-basket" in response.  

That's cool.  I'll take my hand-basket and see if I can figure out how to get inside it.  

3 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Sheeesh..Ask a simple question and get the Mormon equivalent of "go to hell in a hand-basket" in response.  

That's cool.  I'll take my hand-basket and see if I can figure out how to get inside it.  

Make sure to grease the skids.   :P

4 hours ago, stemelbow said:

I am sorry that it did not meet your dramatic requirements. Go put some mentos in some Coke so you can feel better.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Shoot guys. I get the defensiveness, but I was just curious if there was something worth noting.  I honestly tried to peek in a time or two over the course of my weekend, but things got in the way.  I heard a few lines from Elder Holland, and another fellow whom I didn't know.  But that was about it.  

5 minutes ago, stemelbow said:

Shoot guys. I get the defensiveness, but I was just curious if there was something worth noting.  I honestly tried to peek in a time or two over the course of my weekend, but things got in the way.  I heard a few lines from Elder Holland, and another fellow whom I didn't know.  But that was about it.  

Oh well, in that case there was nothing.

Nobody tell about the secret instructions on how to survive the Second Coming. There may not be enough balloons left if we do.

• Like 2

You're misreading me greatly if you think I'm simply being defensive.  See my reply immediately preceding this one. ;) 

On 10/5/2020 at 3:22 PM, Kenngo1969 said:

My response was intended to illustrate that, usually, one gets what one expects to get out of General Conference.  If I expect to hear some nice stories, to be told to be good, and to hear some Temple announcements, by golly, I shouldn't be surprised that that's exactly what happens.  If, on the other hand, I expect to be uplifted and edified, and, perhaps, even to receive some personal revelation, by golly, that's what happens!  It's amazing, really.  (And I've been on both sides of that fence.) 

Sometimes, Latter-day Saints can be a bit spoiled, I think.  Like the Israelites, sometimes, we're prone to dismiss the miraculous means because the results (manna, again? ) seem so mundane.  I could tell you I got personal revelation from a particular address, yet you would watch that same address and say, "Meh. :huh:"  And then you would quote the great Shania Twain and say, "That don't impress me much."  Why did we have such different experiences?  Because, often, one's experience tends to match one's expectations.

Are there better things one could have done with those 8-10 hours than sit and watch a bunch of sermons?  If "sitting and watching a bunch of sermons" is what one thinks one is doing, without question, there are better things one could do with those 8-10 hours.  It's a matter of perspective.

Thanks, Kenngo.  What am I oblivious to?  

Thanks, Kenngo.  What am I oblivious to?  

I'm sorry, but, as Elder David A. Bednar of the Twelve once said with respect to the Parable of the Ten Virgins, the Five Wise Virgins weren't simply being selfish when they told the Five Foolish ones that the former couldn't spare any oil for the latter.  The oil wasn't for the Five Wise to give, not because they didn't want to give it, but, rather, because the way it was acquired was such that it simply could not be shared.  I cannot give you the oil from my lamp for the same reason.  That would be as if you had asked me to give you a testimony of your own, and that isn't how it works.  I cannot tell you what the Holy Spirit should have or would have told you if you had paid more attention to General Conference.

The "oil" for my lamp was acquired, not by a few large purchases in which I made runs on the store because I knew that if I didn't get it, I would end up in short supply, but, rather, drop by drop, through thousands of small experiences that I wouldn't expect to be as significant to someone else as they are to me.  At one point, the same was true of you, and I wouldn't expect your drop-by-drop experiences to be as significant to anyone else as they are (or at least, as they were, at one point) to you.  I acquired a few more drops of oil for my lamp from General Conference, but they're for me, they're not for anyone else.

While I could share my testimony with you, I cannot give you your own testimony.  That's a matter between you, your Heavenly Father, and the Holy Spirit.  I could tell you what the Holy Spirit told me, but I wouldn't expect that to mean anything to you because it would be me talking to you about what the Holy Spirit told me, not the Holy Spirit talking to you and telling you something that you need to know.  The latter is the only thing that matters, not the former. As I said before, if I were to try, essentially to "give you a testimony" by telling you what I found meaningful from General Conference, I would expect, fully, and I think, rightly, for you to quote the great Shania Twain and say, "That don't impress me much."  Well, duh!  Of course "it don't impress [you] much" (nor should it) because it's not your inspiration/revelation/etc.

Edited by Kenngo1969
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 1
On 10/5/2020 at 10:03 AM, Bernard Gui said:

Even so, come Lord Jesus.

It just occurred to me I don't know when the premortal existence ships out it's last soul. Do we know? Pretty sure it can't happen way before the 2nd Coming because how weird would that be?

Any thoughts on Elder Christofferson's talk? I'm hearing lots of negative comments about it. They are saying how terrible it is that he would say unwed mothers/fathers' children are bitter fruit. I know a family that have helped raise their unwed daughter's 3 children, 2 were twins, in their home, I'm sure they wouldn't appreciate it. Or are the comments I'm reading from people on reddit taking it out of context? Just wondered your opinions. I listened to most but not all of the talk. 

Edited by Tacenda
34 minutes ago, The Nehor said:

“Adultery, promiscuity, out-of-wedlock births, and elective abortions are but some of the bitter fruits that grow out of the ongoing sexual revolution.”

He put a clarifying footnote in the written version: “In giving this example I am speaking of potential adverse consequences to children as “bitter fruit” and not of the children themselves. Every child of God is precious, and every life has priceless value regardless of the circumstances of birth.”

I liked the talk. He taught a concept combining two doctrines I am pretty sure I came up with myself but had never heard a General Authority teach it plainly. It is nice to be validated. :) 

I wasn't aware that the talks have been written up already, and glad the footnote is there. I can see how one could make the mistake of saying it that way without meaning too. Thanks!

On 10/6/2020 at 6:11 PM, Chum said:

It just occurred to me I don't know when the premortal existence ships out it's last soul. Do we know? Pretty sure it can't happen way before the 2nd Coming because how weird would that be?

From Gospel Principles Lesson  45...

“During the Millennium, mortals will still live on earth, and they will continue to have children as we do now (see D&C 45:58). Joseph Smith said that immortal beings will frequently visit the earth. These resurrected beings will help with the government and other work. (See Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 268.)”

Encylopedia of Mormonism...

“Life will go on for those on earth: ‘And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them; and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands’ (Isa. 65:21-22). Righteous mortal men and women who die after the beginning of the Millennium ‘shall not sleep in the earth, but shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye’ (D&C 101:31), and children born in this era ‘shall grow up until they become old’ (D&C 63:51Isa. 65:20). The devil will have no ‘power to tempt any man,’ being bound because of the righteousness of the earth's inhabitants, and children will grow up without sin (1 Ne. 22:26D&C 43:30-31;45:58;101:28-31). However, those who are wicked will not be resurrected or returned to the earth until after the Millennium of righteousness (D&C 76:81, 85).”

Edited by Bernard Gui
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
17 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

From Gospel Principles Lesson  45...

“During the Millennium, mortals will still live on earth, and they will continue to have children as we do now (see D&C 45:58). Joseph Smith said that immortal beings will frequently visit the earth. These resurrected beings will help with the government and other work. (See Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], 268.)”

Encylopedia of Mormonism...

“Life will go on for those on earth: ‘And they shall build houses, and inhabit them; and they shall plant vineyards, and eat the fruit of them; and mine elect shall long enjoy the work of their hands’ (Isa. 65:21-22). Righteous mortal men and women who die after the beginning of the Millennium ‘shall not sleep in the earth, but shall be changed in the twinkling of an eye’ (D&C 101:31), and children born in this era ‘shall grow up until they become old’ (D&C 63:51; Isa. 65:20). The devil will have no ‘power to tempt any man,’ being bound because of the righteousness of the earth's inhabitants, and children will grow up without sin (1 Ne. 22:26; D&C 43:30-31;45:58;101:28-31). However, those who are wicked will not be resurrected or returned to the earth until after the Millennium of righteousness (D&C 76:81, 85).”

Which leaves the obvious question as to what the difference is between the spirits born then and the spirits born now.

14 minutes ago, Bernard Gui said:

During the Millennium,

Sounds like we're supplied thru the millennium. Nothing said about afterward so maybe that's when we exhaust supplies.

The final premortal quote: "Man. I'm always the last one..."

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 1
Just now, The Nehor said:

Which leaves the obvious question as to what the difference is between the spirits born then and the spirits born now.

Pin stripes.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, Tacenda said:

I wasn't aware that the talks have been written up already, and glad the footnote is there. I can see how one could make the mistake of saying it that way without meaning too. Thanks!

Now i can’t find the transcripts anymore. Were they put up and taken down again? Or was this an internet miracle? In the absence of evidence to the contrary I will believe the latter.