Seriously No Politics ×

We are not doomed

I have often felt that the story that the world is more evil, more a mess, more doomsday--just isn't so. It's a paradigm--we can participate in it, or not.  Just because it has been the paradigm for millennia doesn't mean it's right.  (What if the universe threw a doomsday and nobody showed up?)  I see too many people from all backgrounds who are willing to love, willing to serve, willing to create alternative structures of peace, etc.  It's just that the warmongers, though fewer in number, seem to be the loudest and seem to be messing up what the greater number of us are just trying to do of loving our families and being ordinary.

This article is from 2014, but still cool.

Why the world is not falling apart

Edited by Maidservant

For much of human history the world has been engulfed in chaos. But now we have the 24 hour news cycle, which means every moment, in every place can becomes newsworthy. We live in a time when even the most mundane of days can be deliberately or accidently caught on camera, and instantly broadcast to the world. Just as I was typing this short reply, a friend posted something on Facebook about something horrible happened to a 14 year old girl. Almost anytime I am reading or typing here a story or comment (from friends, via Facebook) just drops down onto the page and let's me know to look it up when I have finished with my remarks. In this world of "high tech" chaos and tragedy is always at our fingertips, at all our "fingertips", and we are left as a group, or individually to put it all into context. Those who expose themselves to only news, and most always, bad news, they begin to fear that we live in a time worse than any other. By not paying attention too, past history, and listening to only the instant "bad news" we become unbalanced and afraid. 

So, very good point, the end cannot come without our participation and concent. I have one very close friend (well had, never see him anymore) who fills his days with work (from home) and the Internet podcasts, that spell out nothing but doom. He had his children constantly bagging a sealing food storage. He has at all times a min of five years, dealing in cash as much as he can, hoarding good and silver. He is so over prepared, all out of fear. Little joy, but a lot of fear, a trait passed down to his children, who have rebelled out of that fear. But, nuff said. :) 

When I read about end times scenes, I think about extinction level events caused by comets or asteroids. Talk about fire raining from heaven. Such would come unexpectedly and catch most living life as usual, marrying etc.  NASA says we are in no danger from the KNOWN objects, problem is we  have been surprised in the past by objects, at least one of which traveled between the earth and the moon orbit. If such were to happen to hit the earth, preparation for most would be a waste. Live life as if Christ was coming tomorrow, because one day He will.;)

On 8/25/2017 at 11:36 PM, carbon dioxide said:

On the flip side, if we desire the 2nd Coming to occur quickly and we know much turmoil must occur before that occurs, then we should expect and hope for some gloom and doom.  if we are not, we are asking Jesus to take a long time before coming back.  Perhaps even asking him not to come back at all.

What happened to "be of good cheer"?

Signs in the heavens, floods, wars and rumors of wars, wicked governments,

Nah...prophecy is all in our imagination.

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 6:49 PM, JLHPROF said:

Signs in the heavens, floods, wars and rumors of wars, wicked governments,

Nah...prophecy is all in our imagination.

? Wasn't hearing anyone naysaying prophecies.

Just curious why we need to get gloomy about only the bad, and not cheerful about the good. The latter outweighs the former.

Well, I don't know about that, but I definitely feel doomed. Doomed to wait in vain for the career bureaucrats in Her Majesty's Home Office to get off their fundaments and let me immigrate to their "green and pleasant land"!

4 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Well, I don't know about that, but I definitely feel doomed. Doomed to wait in vain for the career bureaucrats in Her Majesty's Home Office to get off their fundaments and let me immigrate to their "green and pleasant land"!

Generate positive/happy thoughts instead.

11 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Took forever in Canada (over 7 years, iirc), they kept losing our file, not telling us we needed something turned in we thought was already turned in (a doctor's report of a test) for over a year.  Finally the university appealed to the local MP and we got someone who knew what they were doing who walked us through the process in 6 months.

Perhaps your wife should contact hers and complain.

2 hours ago, Calm said:

Took forever in Canada (over 7 years, iirc), they kept losing our file, not telling us we needed something turned in we thought was already turned in (a doctor's report of a test) for over a year.  Finally the university appealed to the local MP and we got someone who knew what they were doing who walked us through the process in 6 months.

Perhaps your wife should contact hers and complain.

I just put in an inquiry through their online inquiry system. If I don't get some reasonable response, I'm going to have my wife contact her MP.